No announcement yet.

COMPILE: Linux Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you do a 'make bootstrap' to get the anet automake stuff updated?

If you did, then I suspect that this is my fault. I messed with the way those headers were included. Could you post the compile command which gave rise to those errors, and - if you can figure it out - where in the directory tree the command was being executed from (it should be in the most recent "make: Entering directory 'blah'" message).

Sorry if I caused these problems , and thank you for putting in all this effort to allow us to find the problems .

Comment

• Originally posted by J Bytheway
      Did you do a 'make bootstrap' to get the anet automake stuff updated?
      Oh, duh. *slaps head* I had a feeling there was *something* I was forgetting...

W00t!!! It compiles! And it runs!!! And THE MENU APPEARS!!!!!!!!! Music playing and everything!

Ok...so anyway, yeah, the main menus seem to work now. The mouse cursor is kind of color-inverted or whatever but that's no big deal. Whenever a game launches, I see the main game screen (map, controls, etc) for a second or two and then it exits with:

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
      PeepEvents failed:
      Segmentation fault
      Time to start debugging? What's next?

Sorry if I caused these problems , and thank you for putting in all this effort to allow us to find the problems .
      Nope, wasn't you! And you're quite welcome...this has become quite an adventure.

Comment

• Originally posted by arrow014
        Oh, duh. *slaps head* I had a feeling there was *something* I was forgetting...

W00t!!! It compiles! And it runs!!! And THE MENU APPEARS!!!!!!!!! Music playing and everything!
        Music? Wow, that's more than is working for me .

Ok...so anyway, yeah, the main menus seem to work now. The mouse cursor is kind of color-inverted or whatever but that's no big deal. Whenever a game launches, I see the main game screen (map, controls, etc) for a second or two and then it exits with:

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
        PeepEvents failed:
        Segmentation fault

Time to start debugging? What's next?
        Well, when all you have to go on is a segfault message like that, you have to resort to gdb. Start up the game in gdb (as I described a few posts ago), and when you hit that error, gdb should catch it and tell you where it happened. Then you have to start staring at the code, and using all of gdb's other exciting features to find out more. Have a play and see what you can see.

I draw your attention to the gdb 'print' command, which is astonishingly good at parsing expressions (although it can't evaluate inlined functions...).

In any case, if you can't figure it out for yourself, and want me to have a hope of understanding what's going wrong, then post a backtrace here (get it with the 'bt' command).

Nope, wasn't you! And you're quite welcome...this has become quite an adventure.
        I'm glad to hear it .
        Last edited by J Bytheway; December 14, 2005, 18:30.

Comment

• Hi, hope you all had a great xmas.

John, perhaps you are not in the cdrom or audio group (adduser myusersname cdrom; adduser myusersname audio), or your soundcards driver is not loaded/mixer muted.

I started merging /trunk to the linux branch (many conflicts to reduce, so this will last quite some time (revisions 430 - 503) ). When done, we are nearly sync with /trunk (504. 505 to be commited), and can merge back trivial changes (e.g. headers) while continuing to work on the port. I don't know how much i can contribute at these tasks, merging can be quite time consuming.

Comment

• Phew, I'd shied away from that task. Good for you for taking it up . I see Fromafar has been merging some of our changes back into trunk, as well. The only thing I tried to do in this regard was make the linux branch compile in MSVC++6 directly, which met with compiler errors deep in the locale handling of the STL that I couldn't figure out.

Comment

• Originally posted by ctplinuxfan
              John, perhaps you are not in the cdrom or audio group (adduser myusersname cdrom; adduser myusersname audio), or your soundcards driver is not loaded/mixer muted.
              I'm in both groups, and other uses of the sound card (e.g. xmms) work fine.

Comment

• Someone has requested access to the linux branch source code. Since the SVN repository won't take new users, that means uploading it somewhere. It bzips to 18MB, so it would fit in my Apolyton upload space, except for the fact that I have the playtest version there. Could anyone else here who has access to the repository upload it?

Comment

• J,

Sorry, I'm out of space too. My civ3 mod is looking to be 12MB too so I was looking to maybe putting it over at civfanatics and creating a thread there.
                  Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

• Just wanted to post a screenshot to show that at least the main menu is working on my side (sorry about the weird size--I've got a widescreen laptop): *grin*

I recieved the news over Christmas that my cancer is in remission (nice present ), so I'll be trying to head back to school this semester for a class or two. If I get time I might try to dig into gdb as suggested...I doubt I'd ever come up with anything useful, though, but it would be cool to try. Anyway, if I don't get the chance, I just wanted to thank everyone here (specifically J Bytheway and ctplinuxfan) who helped and taught me during this whole process. For you people to quietly plug away at a game that has been forgotten by nearly everyone else takes dedication and a little bit of healthy insanity. I salute you.

So, have a great New Year, everyone, and God Bless!

-- Michael

Comment

• wondefull!
                      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

• Well, that's indeed wonderful news!

Perhaps you noted i started commiting on some the merges of the first revisions. I had a complete merge ready, which still didn't compile after a couple of fixes, so i started from scratch with a revision by revision merge, fixing possible compilation errors before the next conflicting revision. The next revisions to merge hold restructurations on order of header inclusion and type declarations, so more errors need to be fixed.

By the end of February, merging will be harder without the repository, so i hope we get the merge from trunk to linux working soon. After that, it must be made compilable under windows again and merged back to the windows branch.

Btw., i uploaded the source code (branches/linux at revision 516).

Comment

• ctplinuxfan,

Thanks for uploading the files, unfortunatly I get an error when uncompressing it. I am running debian unstable, but I doubt that makes a difference. Here is the error.

cat ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516-aa.tar.bz2 ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516-ab.tar.bz2|bzip2 -dc -|tar -xvpf - | more
                          ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516/
                          ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516/Scenarios/
                          ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516/Scenarios/NuclearDetente/
                          ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516/Scenarios/NuclearDetente/scen0000/
                          ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516/Scenarios/NuclearDetente/scen0000/default/
                          ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516/Scenarios/NuclearDetente/scen0000/default/gamedata/
                          ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516/Scenarios/NuclearDetente/scen0000/default/gamedata/
                          civilisation.txt
                          ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516/ctp2_data/french/gamedata/add_str.txt
                          ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516/ctp2_data/french/gamedata/err_str.txt
                          ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516/ctp2_data/french/gamedata/Info_str.txt
                          ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516/ctp2_data/french/gamedata/cut_str.txt
                          ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516/ctp2_data/french/gamedata/exp_str.txt
                          ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516/ctp2_data/french/gamedata/dip2_str.txt

bzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing.
                          Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
                          You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
                          data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

tar: Read 8560 bytes from -
                          tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
                          tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
                          tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Comment

• There seems to be a problem downloading uploaded files. In the attached file you can see the files i uploaded. md5sums are:
                            Code:
                            b75643ba82dd4d88525a5bc7fdc5d984  ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516-aa.tar.bz2
                            ca7e9abab5e766318980ec5b0e188891  ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516-ab.tar.bz2
                            7d3a02d950c4096def405429e070ede4  infloop.diff
                            When i download them, i get at least one byte appended to each file. So you can try using just the first 9216244 bytes of each file:
                            Code:
                            dd if=47230_ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516-aa.tar.bz2 bs=9216244  count=1 > ctp2-r516.tar.bz2 ; dd if=47230_ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516-ab.tar.bz2 bs=9216244 count=1 >> ctp2-r516.tar.bz2
                            md5sum ctp2-r516.tar.bz2
                            Last command should result in:
                            Code:
                            e419e24776a2c63e69b7a29af243d237  ctp2-r516.tar.bz2
                            Then, run:
                            Code:
                            tar -xvpjf ctp2-r516.tar.bz2
                            You will also need to apply the patch to -r517:
                            Code:
                            cd ctp2-src-branches-linux-r516
                            dd if=../47230_infloop.diff bs=468 count=1|patch -p0

Comment

• Hm, 2nd try with the uploads picture.

If you already got the two parts of the archive file bigger than the uploaded 9216244 bytes, you just need to download the patch to -r517 and try above solution.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by ctplinuxfan
                                Perhaps you noted i started commiting on some the merges of the first revisions. I had a complete merge ready, which still didn't compile after a couple of fixes, so i started from scratch with a revision by revision merge, fixing possible compilation errors before the next conflicting revision. The next revisions to merge hold restructurations on order of header inclusion and type declarations, so more errors need to be fixed.
                                Great .

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to get access to the repository right now (too much packet loss, I think). In a few days I should be able to again.

Comment

Working...
                                X