DEBUG: Sprite Limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solver
    though I can't really see us ever having more than 2^11 sprites, say = 2048.
    Originally posted by Bill Gates in 1981
    640K ought to be enough for anybody.
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

"No one will need more than 637 kb of memory for a personal computer." (said in the early 1970s)

Misattributed to Bill Gates:

"640kb ought to be enough for anybody."
      Notes: Attributed to him in 1981 when designing DOS's conventional memory limit as ten times the amount in his computer; Bill Gates has denied saying this and the quote is likely a fabrication as the memory limit was imposed by the hardware architecture not the software.

But you should at least agree that 2048 sprites would be, well, no something for the close future . Besides, the limit on loading, say, 2048 in memory would be to make sure that it doesn't take up too much RAM, while by the time we may want to load over 2000 sprites, it's safe to assume that machines will be packing no less than 1GB RAM as standard, so...
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

2048 sounds fine to me. but I didnt see the sprite limit as part of the debugging priority. just checking to see if it was left out.
        Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

We have since set the sprite limit to 255 in the code. I was wondering (as a suggestion) do you think its advisble (I think its possible) to set the sprite limit in the const.txt file. You guys have added alot of other things like rulesets (which works great so far) just wondering if its a good idea to put SpriteLimit=255 in there and allow people with different speeds to change it.
          Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

It has nothing to do with speed. It has rather to do something with space, but only in the second place. In the first place it has to something to do with a certain design, to change this we have to do some efforts to get rid of it.

Actual Fromafar put it back 255, because of some savegame problems, if I remember correctly.

With the current design I wouldn't expose it to const.txt, because the limit is a constant hardencoded into the source code. Turning it into a variable may cause some side effects. So a redesign is better.

-Martin
            Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Working...
            X