Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fladiv, get out of Russia and you may actually manage to download something .
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Well I just noticed that a Non CD Hack file was posted in the altered source files thread, so here is the question.

Q: Am I allowed to craete a non CD version of CTP2?
      A: To answer this question let's take a look into the EULA:

New Game Materials may be created only if such New Game Materials can be used exclusively in combination with the retail version of Call to Power II. New Game Materials may not be designed to be used as a stand-alone product.
      A non CD hack allows you to play the game without the retail version of Call to Power 2, you don't need the CD, and there you don't need the retail version to use the new game material.

To make it short the answer is No.

And actual in my opinion it is fair, because we can happy that Activion released the source code at all. Therefore I don't want to find again a non CD hack file in the altered source files thread, espeacilly if I have to look into such a file to note this. I hope you good the point.

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Locutus: I know you are busy (at least, you'd better be ), but I was getting slightly distressed at how out of date this FAQ is, so I've put together the following updates/additions:

-------------------------------------

5) How can I turn this code into a working game?

Update (2004-04-05): Several people have independantly successfully compiled the code, and most of the problems you might encounter in doing so yourself should be addressed in the thread mentioned above. For a brief description of the steps needed to get the code compiling, see the attachment to this post.

10) Is it now possible to make a Linux/Mac/other port of CtP2?

Update (2004-04-05): The linux port has been reported to successfully compile (see this post), and there is even a report that someone has managed to get the game working far enough to play a few turns under linux.

11) Can I use other compilers than Visual Studio 6 to compile the code?

Update (2004-04-05): There are reports of successful compilation to the point of having a playable game both on VS.NET (here and here) and under linux (here). The changes necessary for this have not, however, moved into the mainstream of the project.

13) How can I see what you've done so far? (added 2004-04-05)

"Official" changes to the source code are posted in this thread - collections of all the changes made are fairly regular, so look near the bottom of the thread if you wish to download a complete update.

If you just want to play with the updated version of the game, playtest versions of the executable are posted in this thread. Bear in mind that, while it should be fairly playable, it`s intended for playtesting only: there may be serious bugs in it and it might theoretically break your game (or worse). It is strongly recommended you backup any data before installing. Use at your own risk.

14) When will you be releasing a 'stable' (non-playtest) version? (added 2004-04-05)

We don't know. We have a rough plan of what we wish to achieve here, so watch that space.

-------------------------------------

Use them as you will .

Note also small typos in Q5 ("How can [who?] turn..."), and in answer 12 ("Updated source files for teh project").

Comment

I actually updated the FAQ just a few days ago and removed/updated the most obsolete sections, but I see I missed a few things. Thanks for the additions, I will update the FAQ as soon as I figure out the best way to do so (I'm currently 2 characters under the allowed post-size limit )
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

This thread is now obsolete, a new one has been posted here. Please post any comments/questions/updates/etc there.
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
            X