This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't mind Leland, Gerzson.

Some people automatically troll and patronize. Don't let him get to you. The rest of us are nicer than that

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

...And some people wave the word "troll" around every chance they get.

Anyway, my apologies to Gerzson for being somewhat snappy. I misinterpreted your intentions, and I hope this will not discourage you from posting in the future. I wish you good luck in getting the permission from Activision to distribute the code.

Comment

Is it trolling when you're right?

The EULA specifically disallows distribution of the code, epsecially commercial distribution, without prior written consent of Activision. A lot about the EULA is ambiguous, but anyone should who read it should be able to figure that out. Gerzson's first post at least to me certainly didn't seem to follow this requirement, so Leland's reaction wasn't out of place (though the warez reference might have been).

His intentions may have been well, but by his passive attitude gerzson did force me to go through the trouble of contacting both him to point out the EULA and Activision to notify them of a possible attempt to (commercially?) distribute the code. If many more people with such an attitude pop up, this project is gonna give me a lot of extra work -- and not the kind of work I would have hoped for...

Gerzson,
        My contact at Activision told me this: "There should be no issue with [putting the code on DVD] assuming he doesn't charge for it. If he does then he needs written consent from us prior to releasing the material."

So if you're spreading the DVD free of charge you can put the code on it no problem (as long as it's in the original form, or in some other form that requires users to agree to the EULA before they can access the code). If it's not free, you'll have to contact Activision yourself through official channels (which, I'm guessing, are here: http://activision.com/en_US/corporate/contact.html).

Edit: no wait, the EULA mentions contact info itself (in the very last paragraph), that would probably be even better to use.
        Last edited by Locutus; November 4, 2003, 19:02.
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Locutus: I'm glad that the forum has been renamed, but I suggest that you also rename this thread, to avoid confusion.

Comment

Sorry, hadn't gotten around to that yet. An update of the FAQ is long overdue as well

Comment

How hard do you think it will be to:

A. limit the maximum # of units in a army to say 5?

8 was too many in CTP and in CTPII 12 way out. All I need to do is create 2 armies of 12 units and its game over for the AI everytime.

Any programers out there want to have a quick look in the code it may be a simple "maxunitsinarmy=12" string that we can mod?

B. Reintroduce the space layer!
              ---------------------------------------------
              Pavlov Zangalis - Hero of the capture of Berlin RFDG.
              ---------------------------------------------

Comment

Max units in one army, or in one tile?
                You could probably SLIC either, but the AI wouldn't like it I think. Not that they build 12-stacks anyway.
                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

All,
                  I updated the FAQ.

Colwyn,
                  This thread is about the project as a whole and general questions regarding the source code. Please feel free use the rest of this forum for specific issues, questions, requests, etc, but reserve this thread for aformentioned issues.

Comment

The link to the zip version of the source is broken, in the first line of the answer to 12 you transposed the letters of 'as', the second paragraph of the answer to 15 ends in mid-sentance and the example link in Q18 doesn't work properly either.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, John. I messed up a whole lot of other stuff as well -- it was late last night. Hopefully I fixed everything now.

Comment

Re: CtP2 Source Code Project FAQ

Originally posted by Locutus
                        16) Am I allowed to use a CVS server to develop the game? (added 2003-11-6)

The EULA forbids keeping copies of the source code for reasons other than backup. Using a CVS server would require you to keep a copy of the code for another reason, so is therefore not allowed.

Activision's interpretation is that the use of CVS servers and similar tools is allowed, as long as anyone who has access to the code has agreed to the EULA.
                        You may wish to ammend the answer to this question. The entire purpose of CVS is to provide a backup of the code that you are currently working on. CVS is simply an application that facilitates tracking changes to your code and going to a previous version if something goes wrong (i.e. a backup).

Comment

Well, backup is only one of the two major reasons for using CVS. If we would use it just for backup we wouldn't need to run it on a server, we could use it locally.

The whole point of having a CVS server is to coordinate the work of several people -- which is strictly speaking not covered by the EULA section on making copies.

Comment

Locutus, please direct any further discussion on licence agreement issues to the "EULA: Interpretation" thread

A link for example would be a good idea

Comment

To quote the CtP2 Warrior: "I will do as you command"

(I added link to project team thread as well)

Comment

Thanks Loc

It just crossed my mind a quote from a CtP1 unit: "No more today"

Comment

Working...
                                X