Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solver
    Locutus, always the pessimist...
    Says the guy who up until a few weeks ago thought we'd never see or hear anything good coming out of Activision anymore, despite my claims to the contrary
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

This is going to be mad
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

If there is a place for me i would love to help. But I have no skills i can think about it other than slic and modding knoledge .
        Yet i would be happy to help and i garantee my effort into it.
        Last edited by Pedrunn; July 28, 2003, 11:32.
        "Kill a man and you are a murder.
        Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
        Kill all and you are a God!"
        -Jean Rostand

Comment

As a slightly rusty C/C++ coder (with the emphasis on the C), I'd be happy to help with the coding and throw in ideas, given time constraints, of course.

And I certainly don't think it's premature to consider project organisation. When I heard about the source release, my first thought was that, without someone organising a strong team, what should be everyone's fondest wish could turn into a living nightmare.

Personal preferences, apart from bug fixes, would be working on ways to extend SLIC capabilities - including better debugging.
          --

Fin

Comment

well i got access to 150 Lan pc's, some of which can be used for something usefull(MP testing etc).
            Other than that i'm sure i could add something to what ever docs are needed, better write-ups of GL entries, a few 'stories' whatever etc.So i'll happily be one of Maqs minions
            'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
              1- When the coders are first reading the code, the extras team will have to start ripping the pics out of the files. I would really love to convert the game to a .tiff loader, rather than what's used now. As a modder it'll make adding new tiles for instance easy.
              What pics in which files? The ctp2.exe only contains five icons. And except for the sprites we can ripp off everything. I don't think if a tiff loader is really the goal to achieve, actual we have other things to do and maybe something like a sprite for additional terrains would be better, the formats are very similar and therefore less work.

-Martin
              Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

You'll need to look at the DX7 code to see how much work it will be undoing the .zfs format. Directdraw doesn't allow full alpha transparency, which I remember that CtP2 (but could be wrong?) supported. If so, there may be a compelling reason for the choice. It may also effect performance; for instance loading the file as a single surface rather than blitting repeatedly.

[edit... typo]

Comment

Locutus, always the pessimist...
                  No, IMO Locutus is right, we don't have the code yet and we don't know if the programmers among you will actually be able to use it. Locutus is just trying to keep everyone's head cool.

As I was reading this thread I had the same thoughts than Locutus as everyone is acting as if we already had this Source Code.

Anyway, I would be glad to help though I am nor a programmer nor a mathematician. I can read the various documentations to hunt the typos or help managing the team. I could translate the documentations into French though I think it is rather useless as the programmers are, by definition, speaking English.
                  "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Locutus? Right? Blasphemy .

OK, this time I am really back, connection finally restored... and FP, a shame you don't play CtP. As for Vel, he posted in the "activision" thread and knew that Activision is getting close to release source... dunno if he actually heard the news that they will.
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I was apprehensive about jumping along with the hype but i take embarrasment quite well so lets see what happens

btw Vel just posted in the off topic thread.
                      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Vel posted something a few hours ago in one of the threads (Maquiladora beat me on this one by 4 minutes), he is aware of the pending release and is already promising that Civ3 and Civ4 will be put to shame in the near future (though IMO this is already the case with the mods)...
                        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Tamerlin, the real goal will be achieved when the last CtP players will cease playing Civ 3, even time to time .

Comment

Tamerlin, the real goal will be achieved when the last CtP players will cease playing Civ 3, even time to time .

I thought the practice of CtP and/or CtP2 was immunizing a player to Civ3...

Comment

You wish. I will be the first to admit that I like Civ 3 quite some, although I do definitely see ways how CtP is better.

CtP players shouldn't view Civ 3 as bad 'by default', it's enough that many Civ/SMAC players naysay CtP by default. Civ 3 still has things that I prefer over current CtP/CtP2. The first of these is the bargaining table in diplomacy...

Comment

I agree, but I'm struggling to think of a second.
                                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                                X