War Of The Ring 1.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War Of The Ring 1.1

Link up here for the updated Lord of the Rings Scenario...

First of all, a big thanks to Ben Weaver (Immortal Wombat) for putting together a VERY atmospheric SLIC file for this Scenario - there are many events and ingame messages that relate to the world of Middle Earth. I have run it through a 75 turn playtest with no problem - hopefully there will not be any crashes.

You play as Gondor...

There are a total of 4 setups - 2 with the ability to recapture cities, and 2 that will raze all cities that you capture (as you can guess, this last one is incredibly tough because you cannot grow your empire other than through population growth.) Each of the main setups has 2 settings - Mordor starts with a lot of mobile units and does not start with mobile units except for Black Riders.

If you have downloaded earlier version of WOTR, you will need to download all the files that are posted. Old gamefiles will not work with this new setup, and there are many updated files.

There are
    - readme
    - graphics
    - txtfile
    zips - you will need all of the files. Make sure you read the install readme, as well as the main readme.

I do have a base map, so if anyone wants to add onto this setup, I can send it to you.

Report any problems and suggestions to this thread. Ben and I will try to address them.

This is my final gift to the CTP2 community. Have fun...

Ben, you may want to post some thoughts here too.
    Last edited by hexagonian; March 9, 2003, 19:34.
    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

wow, yeah.
    Hex did a great job on this, the map is as near to perfect as one could reasonably expect, the balance is great, Mordor is a worthy foe, the graphics are beautiful. To be honest, even without the SLIC the scenario was fun to play. Hope I haven't ruined it.

There is an events help file included with the readmes to give you a hand with any of the events which are less than obvious to grasp. Give it a few play-throughs though, and only "cheat" if you can't figure it out yourself.

What else to say... Oh yeah, don't /reloadslic unless you absolutely have to. If this means setting aside three or four hours and playing the whole thing at once, its better than reloading slic and messing the whole event storylines.

I've been through and tested every event a dozen times, and I am pretty sure it is running how it should and bug free. Any other problems, let us know, and we'll get it sorted.

Other than that, have fun, enjoy.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
      What else to say... Oh yeah, don't /reloadslic unless you absolutely have to. If this means setting aside three or four hours and playing the whole thing at once, its better than reloading slic and messing the whole event storylines.
      Ben, I did a /reloadslic on all of the maps before the final setup. (loaded map you sent me > /reloadslic > hit next turn > place new units > save scenario) - because two of the setups have the raze city SLIC option and two do not (and I wanted to make sure that the SLICs were properly loaded).

Is this going to cause problems? Do I have to reset up the maps...

When I relaunced the scenario, the spash message came up and the game seemed to run fine, so it may not be a problem.
      Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner

Comment

IIRC when the scenario is loaded slic is automaticly reloaded.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

No, that's fine. I meant no /reloading mid-game.
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
            IIRC when the scenario is loaded slic is automaticly reloaded.
            The slic isnt reloaded.
            "Kill a man and you are a murder.
            Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
            Kill all and you are a God!"
            -Jean Rostand

Comment

Any reports?????.....I know some peole have the Scenario - or at least visited the site.

Comment

i get a path error when the scenario loads, G(something or other)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyran
                  i get a path error when the scenario loads, G(something or other)
                  I need clarification on what the message is.

Make sure you have the following ZIP files.

cradle_allfiles04_08.ZIP
                  134a_update_10_31.ZIP

wotr_txt_03_07.zip
                  wotr_graphics.ZIP
                  wotr_readme.zip

There may have been some confusion at my site about the what are the Cradle 1.3 files.

Originally, my site had a listing for a 1.3/Victory file - it was an update and did not include all the files in Cradle.

Since 1.3 was a major update when I released it, I had rebundled all files into a single download, as well as posting those 1.3 files as an update to cut down on downloads for people who had been playing Cradle beforehand.

My site has been fixed to hopefully reduce confusion on which files are needed.

You need both the Cradle main files, (cradle_allfiles04_08.ZIP) located on the left side of the website.

and the 1.34 update, (134a_update_10_31.ZIP) located on the right side of the website.

Comment

bump...

9 posts - 567 hits to this page.

Someone playing this?????

Comment

Well, I tried the scenario yesterday, and I have to say that it's a pretty good one !

Tha map is really "realistic" (I mean it's the same that Tolkien's one), the scenario is a real happiness for a Tolkien's fan !

My only regret is that we begin with so much cities and units, as Gondor, that the first turns are veeeery long, building units and buildings for each city and moving/fortifying each unit.

Anyway, thanks to the creators of this scenario !

EDIT : for the one that had a problem with missing files with the scenario : I had the same problem, but it was because my game is not in english and that part of the files go in the "english" folder. If the problem is the same, all you have to do is to cut and paste the content of this folder into the the one of your language !

Comment

My only regret is that we begin with so much cities and units, as Gondor, that the first turns are veeeery long, building units and buildings for each city and moving/fortifying each unit.
                        Yeah, that was my first comment when playtesting it. But once you get over the initial effort, it plays really well.

Thanks for playing, and thanks even more for responding

Comment

Glad you are enjoying it. Any additional feedback will help finetune this Scenario too.

There really isn't a easy way to set up the world of Middle-earth at a particular timeframe without having all of the cities already in place. It wouldn't work to have players build the cities themselves. (as this will not follow the general layout in the book, and this was my goal instead of simply creating a Mod that would merely replace a legion with an orc).

...So there is a lot of micromanagement of units/build queues to do during the early turns. But think of it as being thrust into the middle of a normal CTP2 game - or playing the Alexander Scenario that shipped with the default game.

Comment

I'm hoping to try this scenario, but I'm tied up with some other things right now. Cradle is my standard CTPII setup, and it is a great leap forward.
                            Many are cold, but few are frozen.No more durrian, please. On On!

Comment

Anyone there????

Well, I was watching FOTR last night and decided to bump this thread up...

225 hits on my site for this Scenario - still no feedback. This does not mean that it has been downloaded 225 times, but at least some people have looked at the page. I have no idea who has actually tried it so far.

Either the Scenario is absolutely perfect and leaves everyone speechless, or it is a load of crap beyond hope of repair.

(I'm willing to upgrade and fix it, but only if there is enough interest out there to do so.)

Comment

Working...
                              X