Medieval Pack II: A Call to Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medieval Pack II: A Call to Arms

This is the public release thread for the Medieval Pack II v1.0: A Call to Arms.
    The modification package is available at my Apolyton webpage. Simply click on my homepage button above to open a link to it.

Please post any problems, questions or comments about the modpack here, and we will do our best to answer them.
    Any words of thanks or congratulations that you would like to express would also be appreciated.

Below is a copy of the Introduction and Installation readme which accompanyied the modpack. All readmes are found in the ...\Call To Power 2\Med readmes folder.

Installation and Introduction to the Medieval Pack II

All players need to change the line "DebugSlic" from "Yes" to "No" in their userprofile text. This file is found in the ctp2_program\ctp folder. This may be done before or after installing the modpack, but it must be done every time you re-install Call-to-Power 2.
    To install the modpack, simply unzip the portions into the "Call to Power 2" folder. The Pack readmes are found in the Med readmes folder located within the Call to Power 2 folder. In addition to the four portions of the Medieval Pack II, you also need Paul's Modswapper, which is covered below.
    After installing the modpack, you need to install the Modswapper, which can be downloaded from my website in the Accessories section. Simply unzip it into a temporary directory, and run the setup program. After installation, you may delete the temporary folder and its contents. I would suggest keeping the modswapper zip, as well as the Med Pack graphics portions, in a permanent folder so that you can re-install the mod should something happen to the game.
    I suggest that you *not* use the option of creating a desktop shortcut to the Med Pack II. Modswapper works by first re-naming the current gamefile, newsprite and Great Library texts, to "orig-gamefile.txt", etc. Then it copies the those three texts from the mod you selected, and re-names them "gamefile.txt", etc. in place of the three original files. What is important is that you first re-load the original game files before switching to a mod. To make a long story short, you will lose your original gamefile, newsprite and Great Library texts if you do not follow this procedure. I will post copies of the original files replaced by modswapper at my site in case you lose your files.

The Medieval Pack II combines the Medieval mod with customized versions of Harlan's Graphics mod, Martin's Citymod2 and Dale's Diplomod, plus SLIC triggers from Locutus, Dale, Gedrin and others.
    The Medieval Pack II adds many new units, both player-created and from Ctp1, 60 new advances, 3 new improvements and 3 new governments, as well as many dozens of smaller changes.

There are a number of readmes in the Med Readmes folder, which deal with specific areas of the game or provide other types of necessary data for players. Players *must* read through these readmes at least once, and I would recommend that you become very familiar with them as you gain experience with the mod, or else you will not understand some of the things which happen in the game. The Great Library included in the mod has been both updated and improved over the one in the original game, but there are still many things in the mod which cannot be listed in the GL.
    1)The Advances Chart is modeled on the one which accompanied the game, and is designed to be printed out as a substitute for the chart which accompanied the game.
    2)The Med Charts spreadsheet lists the stats of the units, terrains, governments, city improvements and wonders in the game, and is a crucial reference point for understanding the mod.
    3)The Miscellaneous readme covers important things which do not fit in the other readmes, tells you how to print out the Advances Chart, and lists the color scheme used throughout the Med mod readmes.
    4)The Terrain and Tile Improvements readme explains the changes made to the game in those areas.
    5)The City and Civs readme covers the changes to city sprites, civs, leaders and city names in the mod.
    6)The Triggers readme covers the workings and effects of all of the various triggers and settings made through SLIC. This readme is very important, as these triggers have huge effects on certain aspects of gameplay.
    7)The Main readme covers all of the major changes to units, governments, cities, and gameplay in the modpack.
    These files were written using Microsoft Word 97 and Excel 97. If you do not have Word or Excel, go to the site listed below, and download the free Word 97/2000 and Excel 2000 spreadsheet file viewers. They will allow you to read and print out the readmes. It is especially important that you are able to print out, or at least view, the Advances Chart.

The Med Charts spreadsheet allowed me to use the readmes for descriptions of general changes to the various parts of the game, to point out specific changes to unit abilities and Wonder effects, and to list odd changes that did not fit into any of the sheets. I believe that this approach does an excellent job of providing the user with all the info one needs to understand the modpack, without being overwhelmed with details.
    Mod-makers note: I have made notes listing most of my changes made to the const, diffdb, and texts pertaining to AI behavior. In addition, I have made notes in the newsprite.txt detailing the sprite numbers used, with notes on why some are not currently used, and my recommendations for those of you who add new units to the game for your own mods. Additionally, the Chop spreadsheet zip at my webpage contains the Gedrin creation which was used to implement and alter the settings for much of the mod.
    This modpack contains the efforts of many people, without whom it could not have been made. These people, and their specific contributions, are listed at the start of the Main readme. Please take the time to read this, and acknowledge those people either in the Apolyton forums, or through personal emails. I know that your kind words would be appreciated.
    This concludes your introduction to the Medieval Pack II. I hope you enjoy.

Wes Whitaker

Read here if you would like to make a donation to show your gratitude for the many hundreds of hours of work which went into the construction of these modification packages.

To Wes:

I think this post might help other players too.

There were some changes to sprites in last two or three versions.
    I downloaded my last version 2 or 3 versions ago(maybe I only missed one version).

So is texts.zip the only one I will need to download or do I need all zips?

Maybe you should add date after all zips(not only texts).

PS. You finally got this first release ready. Well done, congratulations and thank you.
    Jani

Comment

AWESOME!! The MedPack looks awesome Wes! I can't wait to play the final version!! So, what's next? Are you going to continue to edit the MedPack for a second release of it? We should start another thread to list ideas for a second public release of it. With this mod I think that CTP2 would have to be the best CIV game to date! Thanks guys!!
      DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
      EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
      AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by janilxx
        To Wes:

I think this post might help other players too.

There were some changes to sprites in last two or three versions.
        I downloaded my last version 2 or 3 versions ago(maybe I only missed one version).

So is texts.zip the only one I will need to download or do I need all zips?

Maybe you should add date after all zips(not only texts).

PS. You finally got this first release ready. Well done, congratulations and thank you.
        Get the update from Hex's site, which is linked to on the last page of the beta thread. If the game works for you with that update installed, then you only need the texts and sounds for the public release.
        If you are missing some pics or sprites after upzipping the Hex update, then you will have to get the appropriate components from the public version (pictures if you are missing a picture, sprites1 if you are missing sprite upup112, or sprites2 if you need any of the gc*** sprites) as well as the texts and sounds.

Rhuarc, and others, thanks for the compliments. But please don't put off playing the game waiting for the next public release to come out! (I hope this isn't what you meant you were going to do in your post, but just in case...)
        I started another game tonight after spending a few minutes improving the terrain, and I have a great game going. I am already making notes about settings to tinker with, and I will continue to make text updates.
        I will set down sometime and make a wish-list for the next version (I already have some things planned), but I think we are all ready to take a short break from anything major. The stuff I have in my head right now is slic-related, so I would have to see how Wouter and the others feel about trying out new stuff before I make many plans.
        I am going to put together a couple more accessories packages, one with full-sized images of the improvements which Harlan has already made, and a second one with the Ctp1 Stonehenge video for those who would like to see it. Other than that, I do not plan on adding any more graphics until we get into the Crusade! beta, so people will not have to worry about keeping track of the sprites or pics once they have the v1.0 working.

If, and when, anyone sees any miskakes in the texts or settings, let me know here. One thing I have learned in this is that it is impossible to catch everything. Wouter and I were talking a couple of weeks ago that we have a better understanding of, and sympathy for, the situation the programmers find themselves in with meeting a deadline. I had originally planned to have the first public release out months ago, for instance.

I already know about the unitrecord glitch from the special attack messages, and some of the historical gls are not correct, since Charles has never gotten back to me with his work. Hopefully I can get this in sometime soon.
        Everything else should be working, though.

Comment

Your signature needs changing to the present tense

Seriously, thankyou to everyone who spent time on this. It really does to ages to "just change some text-files"

Thanks.
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Don't worry Wes! Even as we speak I ahve a game unning and I am enjoying it immensly!! One question, if you keep updating the text files will we have to start new games every time we get a new update? Oh, and what exactly is the Crusade beta that you are talkinga bout? I haven't heard anything about it yet!
            DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
            EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
            AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

I waited until the Med Mod was finished to download it. Now I have a problem WinZip says that the zips for Pictures, Sounds, ans Sprites1 are short 264 bytes and can't open them as they are not valid zip files. I tried downloadond twice but no go. Sprites2 and Texts unzipped fine

So any suggestion would be welcome I really liked MedMod for CTP1 and have become totaly bored with CTP2.
              "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

I am experiencing exactly the same problem as swissy.
                Waiting on a Sunday afternoon, for what I read between the lines, your lies. Feelin' like a hand in rusted shame, so do you laugh or does it cry, reply?

Comment

I have the same problem . By the way this mod looks AMAZING, and i'd like to say thx to all the talented people who contributed. My only complaint so far is that apart from not being able to open up those files, I have a history exam tommorow that i should be revising for and now i am compelled to put off revising to try out this mod.

Comment

I too had the problem with the zip files.

And the downloads were painfully slow, is that to be expected from your site?

But I commend you and everyone who has worked on this, hopefully everything will work out fine when I eventually get the files.
                    "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

Swissy:
                      Out of pure curiosity, how did you get that nick? No offense intended.

Comment

Could someone please post how to open the faulty files, or please fix them etc.

thx

Comment

Thanks again to all who worked on or contributed to the mod. It's much better than the regular game. Now if I could just get those elite units more often.

Thanks for the modswapper info the other day Wes.

I just noticed a problem with the units that have victory enslavement ability.... they still enlsave after the emancipation wonder is built. I looked at units.txt and didn't see anything that indicates how they kill off the slavers when the wonder is built. I was thinking you could kill off the units with the victory enlsavement then too. I'd be in trouble if that happened, though I guess you can plan for it. Sorry I didn't notice the problem earlier, I usually get bored and start new games.

Comment

Is everybody having problems downloading some of the zip folders?

Comment

Yep - Someone please post how to fix this problem

Comment

Working...
                              X