Call To Conquest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call To Conquest

Call To Conquest, a new mod, is now available in the Directory. Thanks, Locutus.

This is not a proper readme but just some preliminary remarks. I've tried to put most everything anyone needs to know into the Great Library. Check it out.

1) Quickstart: Strongly recommended to avoid early game tedium.

2) Barbarians: I never play with them. You probably won't need them, the AI players should be enough to deal with.

3) Map Size: Huge or Gigantic recommended. Not sure about oversized ones, but certainly nothing smaller.

4) Customize Map: I've changed the city's border radius in such a way that you really need a lot more land. So I recommend something like 30% water v 70% land.

4) Number of Civs: 8 recommended. Big numbers are probably not viable and less than this probably makes the game too easy.

5) Difficulty levels: Don't be too ambitious. Try Medium to get the hang of it. Actually, I've never tried it on impossible.

6) Diplomacy: You may get some early diplomatic agreements but generally your close neighbours don't like you. Once things start happening, it's always worth checking the 'Intelligence' screen though.

7) Strategies: Don't be deceived if the game seems to be quite easy at the start: a turtle strategy shouldn't work. Your goal is to conquor the world and you have to build up your Civ and then get on with it fairly quickly. And you can't count on 'taking them out one at a time'.

Known issues: If you use the Autopilot option so that your planes will automatically return to their airbases, you will find that occasionally Biplanes (only Biplanes) will run out of fuel. I'll try to fix this in a future patch.

Finally, here's the first patch. There were a couple of 'in development handlers' that I neglected to remove and I've made a tweak to some DiffDB settings. Unzip to your "Call To Power 2" folder.
    Attached Files

Cool Peter, I'll check it out

PS Do you use your unit_updater?
    "Between nations, as between persons, respect for each other's rights is peace".- Benito Juárez.

Comment

Yes, and there's lots of new stuff.

Comment

I may dust of my CTP2 disc and tear myself away from morrowmind on xbox to see this
        what AI tweaks+diplomacy delights await us i wonder
        nice and sneaky work Peter i didn't see this one coming!
        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

From a first glace I saw a lot of slic code, that is amazing. Could you explain what the important slic files contain, IIRC you worked on a new version of diplomod, I like to know which file does it contain. And also the cross water invasion code.

By the way we need a new item about, so that everyone knows that there is something new in CTP2.

-Martin
          Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

I've been trying to post a news item for hours, but the news server seems to be down
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Martin,

I tried out that diplomacy code that I wrote last year, but it just didn't work in this mod. This is supposed to be a totally military conquest orientated mod so there's not a lot of room for standard diplomacy.

Unfortunately, the Cross Water Invasion stuff has been put on hold. I had this game going where I thought "These guys should be mounting an amphibious assault". So I tried to code up what I would do if I were them. But it only worked on that map: when I tried it on different maps, it just wasn't general enough. We need better geographic functions that will allow us to deal with continents, oceans, and lakes. I've got some ideas about this, but I don't know if I'll ever have time to work them out.

If you've been playing it you'll have noticed that there's lots of new stuff. I'm starting to document it and will get back to you later.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Triggs
                Martin,

I tried out that diplomacy code that I wrote last year, but it just didn't work in this mod. This is supposed to be a totally military conquest orientated mod so there's not a lot of room for standard diplomacy.
                So developing the economy first and then going after your enemies is not the ideal strategy for this mod?
                "Between nations, as between persons, respect for each other's rights is peace".- Benito Juárez.

Comment

Well that's still the basic idea but I tend to build up my defenses a lot more than I used to.

Comment

Getting a cease-fire seems hard, let alone a peace treaty

The AI seems more aggressive and co-ordinated - I lost a few cities, including my capital

To help the AI further, it would make sense to tone down Bombardment - a couple of turns with a large bombardment stack makes taking a city easy. The AI does not seem to know how to do this, or how to counter it, so reducing the effectiveness of bombardment would help it.

Unit update only works when the units are in cities; and later updates don't catch anything that was missed the first time round, so armies in the field at the time of the appropriate upgrade miss out - could this be changed
                    "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

I can't wait to try it out!

Too bad I'm working the next 6 days straight!
                      The wall of the Achaians

Comment

Unit update only works when the units are in cities; and later updates don't catch anything that was missed the first time round, so armies in the field at the time of the appropriate upgrade miss out - could this be changed
                        How strange: that's the way the old updater worked. Have you tried using the sentinal button. Select an updatable unit in a city and press the sentinal button. You should first get a message asking if you want to update the unit and then a message asking if you want to automate the procedure.

Comment

I got this error message when I was unzipping the file:

Can't create output file: C\program files\activision\call to power2\ctp2_data\default\graphics\sprites\gu119.sp r

Any thoughts?
                          The wall of the Achaians

Comment

Um, no. Anybody else get this? Did you get any other error messages.

gu119.spr is the Musketeer (red jacket with bearskin hat). It's in the zip and, AFAIK, this has been the standard number for it since MedMod.

Comment

No error messages up to Renaissance

Froze once, but loaded fine from autosave - not unusual for CTP2!
                              "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Working...
                              X