Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone want to assist with an Apolyton Edition of this mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone want to assist with an Apolyton Edition of this mod?

I was able to compile apolyton edition on linux (but not on windows). Rather that complain about how ctp2 is dead. I'd rather contribute to it.

At first I was put off because I saw AOM had 600+ files, but it only overwrites 131. So that mean 131 diff comparisons and we (or I) should be able to successfully merge it with Apolyton Edition.

I've done some mod merges for Dwarf Fortress using github. I think I could do the same here.

I'd love to find others who might be interested in such a venture.

Well that was easy
    I did some comparisons using kdiff3 and it turns out the # of different files between (AOM and 1.11) are very small & subsequently between Apolyton

AOM Mod
    Colors00.txt (lots of differences, but I'm leaning towards keeping Apolyton)
    gamefile
    newsprite (merge)

English
    feat_str (merge with apolyton) - compare what's new
    great_library
    scen_str - carry forward from aom (rest are empty)

So few in fact I think I want to carry forward cradle mod as well!

Comment

AOM basically includes all the files from the English CD. This makes it much bigger for downloading. And the files allow you to create a running version of CTP2 without buying version of it, which is not allowed.

Additionally you should check what of the slic code is still needed, since the Apolyton Edition addresses the things the slic code is supposed to address but better.

Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Having AoM4 working correctly for AE is my dream, as I like the unit and tech progression very much (though I disabled some of annoying features in the slic), but when I tried to run it under AE it crashed even with all scripts disabled, I don't know why. I would try to find the exact difference between original game files and AE and then try to successfully run AoM4 without scripts and UI changes, and then just add needed features.
        As Martin Gühmann said, you don't need some parts of AoM when playing AE since it already has much improved diplomacy code and AI.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann View Post
          And the files allow you to create a running version of CTP2 without buying version of it, which is not allowed.
          So does AE.

I think aomiv just has the delta of files. Or maybe thats what I saved into a zip? I have a 66MB zip for aom iv I extract over v1.11.

Extracting it over AE edition doesn't do set it up for play. I was told I either need to rename the aom prefixes or setup modswapper

I think if we just distribute the patch version of the mod we'd be in the clear on copyrights

Comment

Originally posted by sevenfm View Post
            As Martin Gühmann said, you don't need some parts of AoM when playing AE since it already has much improved diplomacy code and AI.
            We mainly improved the AI and left AI diplomacy mostly alone. So some of the diplomod stuff might still be interesting.

Originally posted by thistleknot View Post
            I think aomiv just has the delta of files. Or maybe thats what I saved into a zip? I have a 66MB zip for aom iv I extract over v1.11.
            Well, if that's enough for playing than it should be fine.

Originally posted by thistleknot View Post
            Extracting it over AE edition doesn't do set it up for play. I was told I either need to rename the aom prefixes or setup modswapper
            You just have to remove the prefixes from gamefile.txt, newsprite.txt, and Great_Library.txt. That's what ModSwapper does, it also backs up the original files.
            Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Hello
              In the Search of an other AE Problem (getting the MAX_CITY_BUILDINGS "flag" to work), I stumbled across this Post. Well, I tried to bring AOM IV over to the AE "patch" about one Year ago. I tried to put it in one Scenario Folder and even after disabling the Debug Slic an Debug Slic Event Functions it was not possible to play the Mod, only after putting out every Slic file I came to the Start screen. One other Problem was that the civs vom AOM weren´t used. I don´t no why but in the choose civs screen, there were also every other civ like Armenians, Nicaraguan etc. And choosing one of the AOM civ crashed the game immediatly. I Couldn´t get rid of this.
              But anyway, if this Project is alive you can count me in.
              Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X