X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with saved game

Hello world !!

My problem is following:
    I played 135 turns without any problems, but if I load the last saved game and try to end this turn, the game crashes without CTP-messages but with the well-known "There is a problem ..."-message throwing by OS (WinXP).

If I load turn 134 and continue without saving, so I can turn into all next turns 135, 136, 137, 138, ... but if I save one of these turns (eg. 136) the game crashes if I want to go to the next one (eg. 137).

I'm using ApolPack with Modswapper and all patches (I think so) and more than 8 civs, because I changed the "userprofile.txt" before start of the new game, you know? But I think and hope, that this was not the reason for my problem ... ???

I tried to change graphic-card settings without success.

???????
    HELP!!!

Ok, I've found a solution to my own problem, but I'm not completely satisfied yet!

I was looking for similar problem descriptions posted to this forum and found under the topic "Save Game Bug" following hint by Tamerlin:

To reload SLIC:

1) Hit the ' key to open the chat window
    2) Type /reloadslic in the text box
    3) Hit Enter to execute the command
    4) Hit Enter to close the chat window

Ok, I did it and it works, but I have to do this at the end of every turn before I can go to the next one without crash.

It sucks, if you forget to do this ...

Is that so or is there another solution?

Comment

You might try using the playtest version of the source code project, which fixes a lot of the bugs which cause these kinds of crashes.

Comment

I had the same problem, and found that after quite a few turns I no longer had to reload SLIC. Just give it time, and test having a turn without reloading. Sooner or later it should go back to normal.
        3am...! Can't be, I just started...!
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Ahhh, my first Nuke!
        Now the fat lady's singin'...

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow
          I had the same problem, and found that after quite a few turns I no longer had to reload SLIC. Just give it time, and test having a turn without reloading. Sooner or later it should go back to normal.
          Interestingly, I never had the patient to do it every turn, however this is a bug of Dipolmod 3.6 and only occurs when a new civ is formed by a city revolt for instance if MaxPlayer in userprofile.txt is set higher then the number of players at the start of the game.

-Martin
          Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Ok, it works again!
            Thanx to all, who wanted to help me.
            Special thanx to J ByTheWay, cause his PLAYTEST seems to manage this (and all other) bug(s).
            Unfortunately I was not informed, that there is the possibility to improve CTP2 with this fantastic Mod!!!
            Too less public relations about this, I think, what's the reason ... ?

But in the future I will be there, if I can get the new one, promised

Ok, now I'm happy again and wish all coders like Mr. ByTheWay many new ideas and much success to program this and release new improvements/bugfixes.

So long
            Svensson

Comment

Don't just thank me - most of the work was done by other people, I just put it all together .

Comment

I am happy to have indirectly helped you Svensson.

Martin, I remember having met this problem before and that you told me the Diplomod 3.6 was the culprit. But, though I don't remember exactly, I think that you also told me that there is a way to prevent the problem through the userprofile.txt file by setting the value of the line MaxPlayers=X (seems to be 0 by default) to a much higher number than the value of the line NumPlayers=X.

Am I wrong?
                "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

A new problem

Hi men, (and women??)

So far so good with regard to my problem discussed above, but now I have a new one
                  I'm hoping for succesful help by you again:

I want to capture a city.
                  I defeated all units and want to take this city:
                  Message about the conquest of this civ is displaying (if it is the last one) ... and then ... oh no, it crashs again (without error messages)

Facts:
                  - city is erected on a (high) mountain.
                  - it's the last foreign city, I want to end this game !!!

Are there any connections between this properties???
                  Or what's the reason?

As you know, I'm using the latest Apolyton Edition.

I tried to ... without success
                  - reload slic
                  - take this city some turns later
                  - offer a city of mine to the owner of this city (he took it indeed!!!) before capturing

Nothing seemed to help.
                  I'm sad!

Any other ideas???

Comment

I am amazed by the incredible number of problems you must face Svensson. I play CtP2 since the year 2000, I have runned the game, vanilla or modded without any problem under Win98, Win2K or WinXP. I have only met the usual crashes (like the ones linked to the Diplomod 3.6 or to the minor incompatibilities related to the string files that can easily be fixed).

Have you patched your game with the XP manual patch that can be found in the CtP2 directory?

Have you tried to play the game in Win98 compatibility mode?

I also know that some problems can be solved by reducing the Graphic Hardware Acceleration.

One of the greatest problems I was faced with under Win2K was related to an incomplete installation of the game. When I runned the installation executable there was a long lag around 95% before the software ended abruptly the process and displayed the message according to which CtP2 had been succesfully installed. But I could not run the game adequately, I had to repeat the installation process several times in order for the process to end properly.

You can also try to install the game through a shortcut runned in Win98 compatibility mode.

I don't know at all what is going on with your CtP2 software but there is definitely something wrong with it.

Have you tried to update your graphic card or sound card?

Sorry Svensson but I am short of ideas.
                    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Svensson can you attach the saved game to your next post? We can see if it crashes on our installations.
                      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Ok, here the answers to tamerlin's and maquiladora's questions:

1. XP patch: YES
                        2. Test under Win98 comp modus: FAIL
                        3. Reducing the Graphic Hardware Acceleration: YES, always, due flickering of screen
                        4. Driver for graphic an sound: Ok, I think so!
                        (modern 3D games were running without problems!)

5. Will give you the "special" save game ("Ende"): take Athens with the musketeer and wait for the consequences ...
                        6. In addition I send the system information ("dxdiag.txt").

Thanx
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                          Martin, I remember having met this problem before and that you told me the Diplomod 3.6 was the culprit. But, though I don't remember exactly, I think that you also told me that there is a way to prevent the problem through the userprofile.txt file by setting the value of the line MaxPlayers=X (seems to be 0 by default) to a much higher number than the value of the line NumPlayers=X.

Am I wrong?
                          Yes, you are wrong. In fact you should only dare it to set MaxPlayers at maximum equal to NumPlayers as long as you did not changed NumPlayers since you started the game. Otherwise you have to remember what NumPlayers was when you started the game and use this value as maximum.

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                          I want to capture a city.
                          I defeated all units and want to take this city:
                          Message about the conquest of this civ is displaying (if it is the last one) ... and then ... oh no, it crashs again (without error messages)
                          Well that sounds familiar, so what did you do after taking this city bloodbath, enslaving, or justtaking? Well in any case you should just take the city if you want to continue the game. And starve that city down if you don't want to keep that city.

-Martin

Comment

Reply for Martin:

I cannot choose, what to do with the captured city, the crash is before ...

Auf deutsch: so weit komm ich gar nicht.

Nehm ich die Maus, kommt wenigstens noch die Meldung, dass ich diese Civ erobert hab, bei Benutzung der Tastatur nicht einmal die ...

Comment

Well looks like it isn't the city kill option stuff. I got two slic errors, before the game crashed. There seems to be something wrong with that city.

-Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X