No announcement yet.

Hello from a kind of newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welcome ricketyclik enjoy your stay and i'll be happy to give you any stupid answers you need, as i'm prone to do on occasion

So here goes :

Borders are something i've grown to really love, and cant really play without now. They give a sense of the bounderies of your empire, and in a way make it easier to survey your territory and say , "all this land is mine"

he only draw back of them is that if you build your cities to far apart, its possible one might not get connected to the rest of your borders(happens when you take over an enemy city not next to your current territory). The downside of this is that you cant build any infastructure outside of your borders(apart from the 'fort' which is expensive).

But overall i like them very much.
    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor

The only draw back of them is that if you build your cities to far apart, its possible one might not get connected to the rest of your borders(happens when you take over an enemy city not next to your current territory). The downside of this is that you cant build any infastructure outside of your borders(apart from the 'fort' which is expensive).

But overall i like them very much.
      About borders and infrastructure, I remember a talk about roads in a sourcecode related thread. We were several in favor of allowing the player to build roads outside of its border in order to connect its cities. I don't know if it has been implemented or not, this is something I will have to check in a future game.
      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I think its a good idea, if the land is currently visible and not under fog of war. But there is a problem, that square the road is on now becomes part of that empire, but someone may conquer the cities around it but still doesnt control the roads in the gap?

I think the use of forts are good enough.
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora
          I think its a good idea, if the land is currently visible and not under fog of war. But there is a problem, that square the road is on now becomes part of that empire, but someone may conquer the cities around it but still doesnt control the roads in the gap?

I think the use of forts are good enough.
          I don't think the road infrastructures would extend your territory but I agree that the ancient civilizations generally built fortresses along their major roads in order to protect them.
          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

So why not just leave the system as it is? Build a fort to extend your territory, then build a road upto the fort and through it.
            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

This is currently what you have to do but I must admit it would ease the beginning of the game when you don't have too much Public Work points to spend.

Comment

So shall we change it because its too difficult? Maybe there could be a cheaper tile imp then, like a watch tower that had 2 vision and extends borders, but gave no defence bonus.

Comment

So shall we change it because its too difficult?

Of course not, I should rather say that it would speed up the beginning of the game. It would even be somehow tougher for the human player as the AI civs would not spend plenty of points to link cities they have settled too far away from their bases.

Comment

Well i was kidding, of course not make it easier Im wondering how you place your cities, because ive never had to use a fort to link my borders... a bottleneck on the otherhand

Comment

Well i was kidding, of course not make it easier Im wondering how you place your cities, because ive never had to use a fort to link my borders... a bottleneck on the otherhand
                      I like to leave 8 tiles between my cities in order to allow for a maximum development. But after having read a few posts about city placement I am considering leaving six tiles only. In another hand I have discovered that if you want to catch up as quickly as possible with the AI in the SAP2 you have to be rather aggressive and grow at the expense of the closest AI civ, especially when you are playing at the higher level of difficulty. Once you have found the closest AI civ and conquered its cities you must link them with the rest of your empire and the problem of road building outside your borders appears.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                        I like to leave 8 tiles between my cities in order to allow for a maximum development. But after having read a few posts about city placement I am considering leaving six tiles only. In another hand I have discovered that if you want to catch up as quickly as possible with the AI in the SAP2 you have to be rather aggressive and grow at the expense of the closest AI civ, especially when you are playing at the higher level of difficulty. Once you have found the closest AI civ and conquered its cities you must link them with the rest of your empire and the problem of road building outside your borders appears.
                        Yeap, i just started playing SAP again (havent started with updater yet ), i leave 4 spaces between cities, but i often destroy or slave AI cities to death, i hate early overlap thats probably why i never use forts to connect borders, ill usually use a new city to connect, if i have to keep a juicy AI wonder city far away. Thats the funny thing about forts, ive never used them until i need far away air bases perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                          Also Ricketyclick, hop over to the CtP2 source forum, and get the latest playtest build, and then a mod of your choice to play with. The recompiled source edition is already better in the sense of bugs in single player.
                          That is indeed what drew me over here to the dark side in the first place. But give me a while to get the hang of the original first...

Comment

Also, the newest playtest build has a tutorial button .

Comment

What a nice little neat button . Give me an ice-cream button in the next build please .
                              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                                What a nice little neat button . Give me an ice-cream button in the next build please .
                                Maybe as an easter egg (I mean easter leemur, or should that be leemur egg? Can I even spell leemur? I doubt it ).

Comment

Working...
                                X