Screen flickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen flickers

Has anybody noticed this problem before...

I have the patch installed (and the medmod)
    My graphics card: GeForce 5900FX

The screen flickers about every 2-4 seconds, and it's getting very annoying...
    This space is empty... or is it?

No, ive never had that. Ive got a GeForce MX 5200 with nvidia 4403 drivers.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Re: Screen flickers

Originally posted by ADG
      Has anybody noticed this problem before...

I have the patch installed (and the medmod)
      My graphics card: GeForce 5900FX

The screen flickers about every 2-4 seconds, and it's getting very annoying...
      I had a similar problem with my former NVidia 64Mo card until I changed the frequency of my monitor to 75Mhz... I thought my monitor was about to die.
      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I can't change the frequency... my monitor can only take 60 and below

Comment

I don't have the problem all times though... today there were no problems at all

Comment

The lowest monitor refresh rate is 60 Hz
            Oxygen should be considered a drug
            Tiberian Sun Retro
            My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
            http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
              Ouch! And you're only complaining about CtP2?

Any half-decent monitor can handle refresh rates up to at least 70-75 Hz. Download a new monitor and/or video drivers if you have to, but get that rate up: low refresh rates are very bad for your eyes and 60 Hz is really the absolute minimum to use. What resolution are you on? Lower resolutions generally allow for higher refresh rates. If your monitor really can't handle decent refresh rates, get a new one -- your eyes will thank you.
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I'm getting the same issue with CTP2 on my new computer/monitor

HP mx703
                NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
                Resolution set at 1024x768
                Color Quality (Highest - 32 bit)

So all I need to do is change the refresh rate to 85 Hertz (the highest setting I have)? What is the reasoning to keep it at a lower setting in the first place (as that was the default setting...)
                Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

So all I need to do is change the refresh rate to 85 Hertz (the highest setting I have)? What is the reasoning to keep it at a lower setting in the first place (as that was the default setting...)
                  The reason it defaults to a lower refresh is so it doesnt damage your monitor. The monitor is always the bottleneck with refresh rates. With higher resolutions the max refresh will be lower.

If changing your refresh doesnt work, try using the nvidia 4403 drivers Hex (if you arent already using those), seeing as you have exactly the same graphics card as me... i mean FX not MX in my other post.
                  Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                  CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                  One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian
                    What is the reasoning to keep it at a lower setting in the first place (as that was the default setting...)
                    Maq puts it a tad strongly perhaps but he's not wrong: the higher the refresh rate, the harder a monitor has to 'work'. This means it consumes more energy and it has a higher chance of breaking down.

The settings that are available by default in your windows settings are normally all approved by the manufacturor though, so using the highest setting available that you can get to show up there (different drivers can give different values) is not irresponsible --though above 85-90 Hz I doubt many people would notice the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                      Ouch! And you're only complaining about CtP2?
                      Yep... don't have this problem in other games

Any half-decent monitor can handle refresh rates up to at least 70-75 Hz.

My monitor is far from decent

My screen-resolution is 1280x1024, but it's still running on Max refresh-rate... even on 640x480 it can max go to 60

But I doubt it's a refresh-rate problem... it's just that the monitor goes black for 1/10 second every 5 seconds

Comment

No, I'm fairly confident that's a refresh rate problem alright. Like I said, 60 is awfully low (unless you have an LCD monitor -- do you?)

Unless you have a monitor that's like 20 years old, it should be able to support refresh rates higher than 60 on 640x480 (and probably on 1280x1024 as well). Like I said, download the latest video and monitor drivers. Even if refresh rate is not the problem, that's likely the solution
                        Last edited by Locutus; April 2, 2004, 05:41.

Comment

The problems seems to be linked to NVidia Graphic Cards, if I remember well the players reporting this kind of problems all have a NVidia Card. Did you update your driver recently?

Try to find the latest driver along with older ones, while the latest drivers sometimes solve problems they are sometimes at the origin of other problems with older games, the older drivers are often more stable with older games and are generally perfectly working with the newest games.

I suppose that you have installed the default Windows driver for your monitor, try to find a driver specifically made for your monitor.
                          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

(unless you have an LCD monitor -- do you?)
                            Not yet... saving up for it

Like I said, download the latest video and monitor drivers. Even if refresh rate is not the problem, that's likely the solution
                            I just haven't been able to find the official site for my monitor, and I don't even know what model it is... only that it's Daewoo... ok I found a site with that name, and the same way of typing it, but it doesn't look like they're making monitors...

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                              Try to find the latest driver along with older ones, while the latest drivers sometimes solve problems they are sometimes at the origin of other problems with older games, the older drivers are often more stable with older games and are generally perfectly working with the newest games.

I have tried both the newest drivers and some a little older... same result...

Comment

Working...
                              X