No announcement yet.

Med Mod 4 (final): files, readme, links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I guess that leaves the blood-lust or scientific victory options (scientific when the AI researches all of the future advances).

As for my game, it keeps freezing up during the AI turns on turn 355. I went back four turns, and kept pressing end turn, and it still hung up, so I don't think it has anything to do with me. I also tried deleting some AI units, since the hang-ups take place during the second civ's turn. Nothing changed.

Pressing ctrl-esc, which normally minimizes the game, doesn't work. However, pressing ctrl-alt-del does work. I guess this has something to do with the dos-based ctp not responding.
    I am not getting any error messages; the dos window just freezes. I tried getting the computer to spin up another game by putting it in the cd tray, and it did so, therefore the entire computer is not frozen, just the game.
    I would REALLY like to continue this game, so any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can't continue it, well there are always other things to move on to, but this game has gotten special.

Comment

good intentioned as it be, the new 4.1 patch consistently makes civ crash. I can load the game up alright, but by the time I get to turn 2700BC the game feezes. I have tried this 5 times, and my PC is perfectly able to run CtP. Can somebody tell me what's wrong?
      "It is ridiculous claiming that video games influence children. For instance, if Pac-Man affected kids born in the 80's we should by now have a bunch of teenagers who run around in darkened rooms and eat pills while listening to monotonous electronic music."

Comment

Chris, can you be more specific? Use my post above as an example. Also, how much ram do you have?

I have started a 4.1 game as well, and noticed that the game would pause during the AIs' round about once every 20 turns or so. It seems to do it during player 4 or 5's turn. I don't know why the disseminate trigger would be causing this, since it is not even activated at this point in the game, but that trigger is the only change between my last game, which also had a fatal freeze, and this one.

If there are people out there who are *not* having this happen to them with the 4.1 version, I would appreciate hearing from you as well.

Comment

I have a PIII 550 and 128 megs a RAM. IT should work. Once again, the game starts fine. I buil a city, get some units on the board, start researching etc. Then, while loading a trun somewhere between 2950 and 2700 BC, the game stalls, the turn never finishes. After waiting a while, I press control-alt-delte and CTP is identified as "not responding". I have to end task.
          "It is ridiculous claiming that video games influence children. For instance, if Pac-Man affected kids born in the 80's we should by now have a bunch of teenagers who run around in darkened rooms and eat pills while listening to monotonous electronic music."

Comment

Wes --

Make sure in your late-stage game the ai does not have future tech #10 in all 4 categories. If so, that would cause a freeze.

Also check if the computer has researched cybernetics. I noticed in my final 4.0 game the computer still hadn't researched cybernetics even after the advances.txt modification. And the computer could skip future techs #1&2 and still get to #10 in all 4 categories anyway. Maybe you changed that since then, I dunno.

cold
            [This message has been edited by coldsteel (edited October 31, 2000).]

Comment

It occurs to me maybe the computer can find the wormhole but can't start the alien project because it needs cybernetics or one of the 7 advances that have cybernetics as a prerequisite.

cold
              [This message has been edited by coldsteel (edited October 31, 2000).]

Comment

Chris, your description sounds exactly like what happened to me in my 4.0 game. I have started a 4.1 game, and am at about 1000AD. The 'pauses' I experienced in about the same time period as your crashes seem to have gone away.

I will start some more games with the 4.1 version, and see if I experience any crashes. It may be a few days before I get around to this, as the next couple of days are going to be very busy for me.

Funny, I had never had the game just freeze up on me like this before, and now you are reporting the exact same thing.

Question for all you computer-savvy guys out there: I have never had to re-install ctp in the 15 months that I have had the game, and all the crashes that have occurred during my mod-making.
                Would it be a good idea to re-install it, just on general principles?

Comment

A general computer principle these days is to reformat your entire hard disk and reinstall Windows and all applications and games at least every 6 months (a year at the worst, I do it about every 3 months)

This is because you can easy pick up a lot of useless stuff and Windows is very bad at getting rid of these.

Comment

Well, in my experience reinstalling can solve a lot of problems. The way I see it, if it doesn't help, it doesn't hurt either (not as far as I know anyway).
                    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Interesting thing, Wes. All the games that I repoted had crashed had been set on prince level with 8 civilizations. Last night I started a new game and kinked it down to warlord and 5 civs. It worked fine. Perhaps this makes things more clear.

Comment

Chris, try playing 5 civs Prince or Diety, if that works fine, then there's a very logical explanation: you're computer system, already heavily burdened by all the extra's that the MedMod offers, can't handle 8 civs and becomes unstable. Could you also post your system specs (processor, memory, etc.)? That doesn't say everything, what OS and software you run also matters along with plenty of other factors, but it could give us some indication to where the limit generally lies, esp. if more people do the same.

Comment

I just used the top link in an attempt to download Med Mod 4.0. The download was only 2 MB and I ended up with Med Mod 2.0. Am I doing something wrong or is that link messed up?

Comment

Smeagol,
                            You're right, the link is messed up. Better download it in three parts then. I couldn't find the correct link to the big MedMod 4 file anywhere.

Comment

I have just posted a 4.11 version of the mod at my homepage (jee, who was it that said he didn't post multiple small updates of his mods? Hmm... ).
                              Anyway, as some of you may have noticed, the creation of Space Marine militias did not work correctly, and this code has been deleted from the mod. Since this affects the script.slc file, the change will not take effect if you load games from previous versions of the mod, thus I have updated the version number of the mod.

Btw, if you want to go back and continue games from earlier versions, simply go into the Medpack4\scen0000 scenario folder (for standard games), and edit the number to whatever version you want to go back to playing.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Locutus on 11-02-2000 04:13 PM
                                Chris, try playing 5 civs Prince or Diety, if that works fine, then there's a very logical explanation: you're computer system, already heavily burdened by all the extra's that the MedMod offers, can't handle 8 civs and becomes unstable. Could you also post your system specs (processor, memory, etc.)? That doesn't say everything, what OS and software you run also matters along with plenty of other factors, but it could give us some indication to where the limit generally lies, esp. if more people do the same.

look a little further up in this thread, please.

Comment

Working...
                                X