Pictures http://apolyton.net/ctp/files/mods/med4_pic.zip
    Sounds&Video http://apolyton.net/ctp/files/mods/med4_snv.zip

Main Readme
    http://apolyton.net/ctp/files/mods/med4readme.html

WesW's page
    http://community.myway.com/pd/wesw

[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited September 16, 2000).]
    [This message has been edited by MarkG (edited September 16, 2000).]

Please use the link through my title to the left to acquire the mod from my webpage. The links above either do not work, or do not refer to the latest version of the mod.

Thanks for getting the mod up so quickly, Mark.

Jan 5th, 2001 UPDATE ALERT: I have updated the mod again, making this the 4.12 version. It is available along with the other parts of the Med mod 4 at my new site here at Apolyton. Just click on my homepage button above.
    I have removed 24 of the Future advances from the game, in the hope that this will eliminate the instability of the mod that some of you have been experiencing. I have increased the costs of the remaining Future advances to make up for those eliminated.

It is installed over the 4.0 version of the mod by unzipping it into the Call-to-Power folder, just like you do with the main mod.

Edit: A few posts below I have posted a detailed explanation of the 4.1 update.

Below is the Intro and Installation readme.

Introduction to the Medieval Pack 4.0

The Medieval Pack 4.0 contains a number of individual mods, which are fully integrated to provide a one-step installation process, though players will probably need to make some additional alterations. These further steps are detailed in the Miscellaneous readme. To use the Modpack, you will need to have already installed the 1.2 patch and 1.21 hack, which are available at Apolyton in the patches section. Then you need to use Winzip (not PKunzip) to unzip the components of the Pack into the Call-to-Power folder.

NOTES:
    1)The modpack has three versions for you to choose from. (These are not the three parts listed in the post above. You see these three versions when you select the Medieval mod 4 in the scenario screen.) Players do not need to do anything more to use the Standard or Flat-map versions of the game. To use the "Large civs" version of the modpack, however, you will need to unzip the Med Large zip file into the Call-to-Power folder. (The game is set up for the Standard game initially.)
    2)For multi-player use of the modpack, it is necessary for all of the participants to use the same version.
    3)Zipped copies of all three versions of the game (Standard/Flat-map, Large, and Original) are contained in the Med Readme folder, where this file is placed.
    If you want to switch back and forth between the three versions, such as when you go from single-player to multi-player, you will need to unzip the appropriate version into the Call-to-Power folder. (These zips contain the aidata and const.txt files that must be placed in the original section of the game in order to be used.)
    4)If you have trouble with the modpack, read the Troubleshooting Guide, which has answers to the most common problems players have encountered.

The Medieval Pack combines those mods found in the Apolyton Pack with the Medieval mod 4.0 and customized and/or updated versions of the Awesome Aips, True Terrain 2, Nordicus' New Trade goods, and Martin the Dane's ScreenMod 2, plus Locutus' SLIC triggers. Additionally, the modpack includes flat-map support.
    The Medieval mods 3 & 4 add 19 new units, 41 new Wonders, 53 new advances, 6 new improvements and a new government to the game, as well as numerous smaller changes. I have totally reorganized the readme structure to explain all of the changes in the least amount of space possible. The SLIC triggers are explained in the Med 4 readme, while the new goods and their effects are listed in the Terrain sheet of the new Med Charts spreadsheet.
    I have devoted many hours of time to the new readme structure, in order to make it as concise and informative as possible. You should start with the 1st Readme, which briefly explains the re-organization, tells you which readmes need to be covered before you begin using the modpack, and in what order to read them.
    I have constructed spreadsheets which list individual unit, terrain, government and improvement stats, and an Advances Chart which is modeled on the one which accompanied the game. These are provided for you to print out for reference while playing the game. These files were written using Microsoft Word and Excel. For those of you who do not have these programs, there is a website listed in the 1st Readme where you can download free viewers for these programs.
    These charts allowed me to use the readmes for descriptions of general changes to the various parts of the game, to point out specific changes to unit abilities and Wonder effects, and to list odd changes that did not fit into any of the charts. The net effect of this is that the combined length of the new, recommended Pack readmes is less than half that of CD's 4.2 readme. I believe that this new approach does an excellent job of providing the user with all the info one needs to understand the modpack, without being overwhelmed with details.
    This modpack contains the efforts of many people, without whom it could not have been made. These people, and their specific contributions, are listed at the start of the Med 4 readme. Please take the time to read this, and acknowledge those people either in the Apolyton forums, or through personal emails. I know that your kind words would be appreciated.
    This concludes your introduction to the Medieval Pack 4.0. I hope you enjoy.

Wes Whitaker
    Last edited by WesW; March 14, 2002, 19:38.

Comment

Well, though I can see lots of people use Med Mod, I don't like it. I just want to play the game as it is, without any modifications. Actually, that's why I bought CTP - to play it as it is, not to modify it. With all the mods, it seems to be almost a different game. Actually, this makes MP games much more difficult, as some guys use original, others do MM. hate this.

------------------
      Solver - http://www.aok.20m.com
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I want to use custom maps of the world but when I load up the modpack, then load up the map (as a saved game) the computer just quits back to the desktop.
        Is there any way to play the maps with the med 4 modpack?

Comment

Unfortunately, maps can only be used with the same scenario, and same version, on which it was created.
          I tried to avoid changing the mod version unless absolutely necessary (this is why you don't see .1, .11, .2, etc. versions of the med mod).
          I hope that this will change in CtP2.

However, Chris and I seem to be close to getting the disseminate trigger working, which I will post at my homepage as version 4.1 of the mod.
          This is because maps are also tied to the slc file, and previous games started without the disseminate file will continue to use the slc version with which they were created, even if the updated version is now in the texts.

Btw, I included zipped versions of the original game files and their Med mod counterparts in the Med readmes folder so that people could easily switch between them for things like multiplayer.

Comment

First and foremost I would like to congratulate Wes and all the other people that worked in the MED4. This is a wonderfull mod.

Like solver was saying is a total different game. But Unlike him I think this one is much better then the original one. I can say when I purchase CTP I was absolutelly deceptioned with the game. When Activision release a patch that fixed some errors and created others and abandoned the game, I was fed up and almost tossed the game in the trash can.

But thanks to the work or Wes, CD, and many others now the game is really good, and I can say one thing: I'm not buying CTPII until you guys have a chance to fix it!

Congratulations to all colaborators to MED4, and specially to Wes, to put it all together so nicelly. 8^))

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. Comments such as those are one of the things which make all this worthwhile.

BIG NEWS!

The 4.1 Update is now up at my homepage.
              Below I have listed the alterations to the mod, starting with the smallest.

1)The GL file for the Jet Propulsion advance now informs you that this advance makes available the Jet Bomber.
              2)The advances text which I re-worked last week is included in the update.
              3)Vision range for Fighters has been raised from 2 to 3, so that you can see other aircraft before coming into range of their active air defense.
              4)Ironclads can no longer see Subs.
              5)Militia support costs for the later upgrades have been set to their proper levels.
              6)Dominique's Solution has been removed from the mod.
              Apparently there is a glitch with the wonder flag for reducing worldwide pollution, so that it removes *all* pollution no matter the setting. I have replaced this wonder with one of those removed from the mod earlier;
              The Inquisition. This wonder is not in the AI build lists, since its effects are potentially more harmful than beneficial. Its attributes are detailed in the GL files, which you already have.

7)This is the main part of the update: Gedrin's disseminate trigger is now working properly, and inserted into the mod!
              This trigger activates in turn 150 (about 1520AD), and fires once half the civs in the game obtain a given advance. It then fires whenever this advance is obtained by another civ, until all civs have it.
              When the trigger fires, it grants the advance to a random civ, including those which already have the advance. Thus, if you get a message saying you have received an advance that you already have, simply ignore the message.
              This trigger is designed to help lagging civs stay in the game, and thus give more competent opponents. Gedrin has expressed concerns that the current settings will allow the human player to neglect science and rely on the trigger to keep him up-to-date scientifically. Myself, I don't think that it will be that powerful, and that if you are in the lower half of the civs science-wise in the Renaissance era and beyond, then you are in big trouble.
              Anyway, we can play with it, and see how it goes. If the trigger needs adjusting, well that's why I have my own homepage.

Note: It has been taking about 30 seconds for games to launch and load when I use the Med mod. The loading bar hangs up for about 15 seconds about halfway through; I think this is where it checks all the texts and script code for defects. With so much added to the game, it takes it a while to do this. Just be patient; the mod has been working fine for me, and I think that it will for all of you, too.
              [This message has been edited by WesW (edited October 26, 2000).]

Comment

As you know Wes - all singleplayers games I have played - well most of them - were based on your mods. I wouldn't miss them for anything(got that Solver).

Now credit to Solver. After I changed to PBEM games - and by that got some really heavy "AI's" - I do admit the standard game (with the nessesary patch 1.2 and hack 1.21) are sufficient.

What I would like is - standard 1.2/1.21 PLUS all units and advantages from med mod 4.0. No extra wonders, no extra slic - maybe no wonders at all. This would make it a "human race".

EDIT-ADD: Governments too........ Keep them.

I do know, that nobody are going to do above anyway - but if I hadn't replied, I wouldn't be Woodstock.

------------------
                Woodstock was here!
                [This message has been edited by TheBirdMan (edited October 25, 2000).]
                [This message has been edited by TheBirdMan (edited October 25, 2000).]
                First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Well, Woody, you should be able to do those changes yourself, in about 30 seconds.
                  Simply take the original wonder and wondericon texts, and paste them over those in the Med mod. The two Wonders that I re-named (Stonehenge and Labyrinth) will still have their new names, but everything else should revert back to the original settings.
                  I haven't tested this, but I thought it through, and it should work. You should be able to do the same thing with advances, improvements and governments. Units might not work because I renamed the Spy.

To take out the extra slic, simply go to the bottom of the script text, and delete the lines from the triggers you don't want.

3rd Trial, let me know what happens to your border when you discover Theology.
                  Btw, if you want to cheat, there are much easier ways than moving that settler around.

Anyway, I have been playing a game for the past week now, and I am on about turn 230. I have been using the cheat mode to alter terrain and occasionally get rid of a meddlesome AI unit. I have not created any units for the AIs, though I have done so for myself. I have had no problems with the game crashing, except for one time when I tried to save the game, and got the invalid page fault message.

The current game has been about the hardest, most frustrating at times, and most enjoyable that I have ever played. The AIs have performed phenominally, spacing their cities almost perfectly, growing them well (the lead AI has half a dozen size 20 cities right now, in roughly 2050AD. I don't think that I have any that large.)
                  I have seen practically every unit available in the game that the Incas have access to. All the aircraft, including Helicopters, space bombers, all the subs, crawlers, special attack units, infectors, paratroopers, swarms, stormtroopers galore. Ships like you wouldn't believe. I opened the cheat mode once, and looked at the Incas unit lists, and they had 20 Missile Cruisers.
                  The Incas have stayed about an age and a half ahead of me since the end of the Renaissance era. They are about a 150 yrs ahead of the timeline, and I am about 75 yrs behind. Except for the Canadians, all of the civs were either warlike or slavers, and I have not been able to have decent relations with any of them, except for the Canadians occasionally. Unfortunately, they liked Incan gold better than they liked me, and kept stabbing me in the back. I finally decided to stay at war with them after the third double-cross, but I have to wait until I get one of the future governments before I can conquer them, due to city limits. I am playing as the Americans, btw, and the Canadians are situated to the north of me, in about their real-like position. I had to do some MAJOR altering of their terrain in order to give them a chance to develop into a decent civ.
                  I conquered what was the second-place AI a good while ago, and have 46 cities under Democracy. The 2nd and 3rd place AIs are both in the Modern era, the same as I am. The other remaining AI was largely conquered by the Incas a long time ago.
                  If the AIs knew how to launch large-scale amphibious invasions, the Incas could have conquered the world any time they chose for the last 80 turns or so. Anyway, this has given me a chance to stay in the game, and try and fight them off my home waters. I didn't have control of my home waters until recently, though the Incas could take it back if they wanted.
                  When I resumed play after removing Dominique's Solution, it must have caused total havoc in the Incan cities, because a lot of them have revolted in the past 6 turns or so. Hopefully, the barbarians and Incas will wear each other out, and give me a chance to catch up some (Hitler and Stalin, anyone?).
                  I will come back later with updates to the game. I usually don't go on about my games this way, but this one is so good, those of you out there should really be psyched to try this mod out. If you give the AIs decent continents to start out on, you will get games like you never had with any of the Sid games. I practically quarantee it.
                  [This message has been edited by WesW (edited October 26, 2000).]

Comment

now that you are happy with me I can start *****ing....8^)

On Med4, a militia is created automatically when a city is formed, and this is really cool! When you disband a city this militia does not go away. you can't move it, but it stays there in fortified mode and behave as a phalax if attacked. I suspect this is an easy fix with powerslic 2.0 if there is a trigger for disbanded city.

I have actually created a border just by having one settler walking on the border and creating and disbanding a city for every square!

Comment

The border works fine, since there is a unit on the square, their priests cannot get through. Of couse they could get through by sea, but then they will have to face my navy.....

I'm not cheating! The border was there just to see if it worked, and it did! I've listed the bug for you, because I know that you are working on 4.1 and it seemed to me an easy fix in powerslick. I might even try it myself if I have time 8^)

BTW, I've discovered the bug totally by chance when I mispositioned a city by mistake and had to disband it in order to move it. I'll try to disband the unit to see if it will go away.

Comment

3rd Trial, go back and re-read the section on the militia triggers in the Med 4 readme. There you will see that there is a cure for the border-making scheme already in place. Your Phalanxes should disappear when you get Theology.

Btw, in my game, I had to use the cheat mode to give the Incas the Gaia Controller, because of global pollution. I checked the remaining Incan cities, and they appeared to have their pollution levels under control. However, the pollution graph listed their pollution level as enormous. I could not see into the barbarian cities, and suspect that the game was listing the barbarian's pollution as belonging to the Incas.
                        So, we are back to the no-pollution situation that we had under Dominique's Solution. And I had just finished building Mass Transits in almost all my cities.
                        Anyway, the game is really wild now, since the revolting cities had many of the Incas best ships in them, and those ships are now running around, attacking everyone.
                        I have been giving gifts to the Italians, and have managed to get them to agree to stop pirating, an eco-pact, and to trade an advance. I had been at war with them as long as I had the Incas, so hopefully I can avoid conflict with this emerging power.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by 3rdTrial on 10-26-2000 10:11 AM
                          I've listed the bug for you, because I know that you are working on 4.1 and it seemed to me an easy fix in powerslick. I might even try it myself if I have time 8^)

No, 3rdTrial, the bug is not easy to fix. There's no variable or function that keeps track of cities that are disbanded or destroyed. The only way to fix the bug is to kill all Militia units every turn and put new ones in every city (hence deleting all units outside cities). But this takes up a *lot* of resources and slows the game down enourmously. That's why we chose to only update the militia's when a new one comes available. Hopefully this can be fixed in CtPII, but now there's nothing that can be done

BTW Wes, I've downloaded it and will try when I get the time.
                          [This message has been edited by Locutus (edited October 27, 2000).]
                          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Well, my game keeps moving along, but not being able to conquer the Canadians due to the city limits feature is really annoying. I have to devote most all of my air force (which would be ineffective against the Incas anyway), to knocking down their units as soon as they are built, as well as all of my available assault infantry (though I have nothing else to do with it anyway). I have about bombarded away all their militia units, so that when I get Corporate Republic, I can waltz in and take them out in a few turns. That is, unless they get Machine Gunners first.
                            The Incas have succeeded in getting back about all of their revolted cities, and are again sending out large naval forces to battle me for control of the oceans. For a while I had control, and mercilessly pillaged their sea improvements. All of their cities had Beef Vats, though, so they did not starve because of this.
                            4-on-5 and 5-on-5 naval battles have become fairly common, both with the Incas and the Itailians, whom I am again at war with. And I am talking about fleets of Heavy Cruisers, Battleships and Missile Cruisers, too.
                            The Incas once hit me with a fleet of 5 Missile Cruisers! I lost about 8 ships before I wiped out that stack.
                            The Incas have had Space ships and Colonies for about a 100 turns now, and are apparently using their space fighters, bombers and who knows what else for defense only. If they had used them to orbitally bombard me, they could have crippled me. I don't know what is going on there. I will have to check it soon. They also built the Wormhole Detector a long time ago, and have built numerous Wormhole Probes. I guess the sayings are true about the AIs not being able to find the Wormhole. I wonder if this is why they decided to change this part of the game in the sequel?
                            I have been forced to start using Spies to try and steal my way back into the game tech-wise (not easy to do when your enemy has The Agency).
                            The Supermarket improvement has been a real bonus.
                            Even with all my cities, whose average size is about 17 now, it still takes me about 5 turns to get new advances, so I am really pleased with the timeline and unit spacing in the game.
                            More later.
                            Anyone enjoying the story?

Comment

Yes, Wes, I'm very much enjoying it. Okay, it isn't Diemars Undefeated Diety Story, but still...

I must say it's a mayor disappointment that the AI won't launch amphibious assaults, take advantage of its control of space or built the endgame project This still assures that you'll eventually win the game, no matter what you do. I guess CtPII is too close to still fix those problems, so we'd better hope Activision fixed it for the sequel (apart from the space thing of course).
                              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X