Saying Sooth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saying Sooth

A few days ago I wrote about the AI automagically knew where my stealth units were. Well, in my latest game last night the Indonesians not only didn't see the stealth units (which, well, they shouldn't anyway) they acted so stupidly it was almost funny. At any given time before emancipation I had at least three slavers walking around their territory. I put three or four clerics there too. Sometimes I didn't even move them after I struck. The AI would either do nothing to find them or wander around aimlessly looking for them. (instead of the smart thing like circling the damn city with another stealth unit.)

I tried an experiment before I quit for the night. I put a cleric and a spy next to one of the coastal cities. Every turn I would do the "end in near" thing. (I moved the spy back one square.) I sent this city into riots THREE times. The AI didn't even bother to try to find and kill the cleric. (We were at war at the time.) The most it did was step out of the city with a pikeman in one direction...the same direction every few times I converted or said sooth to the city.

Its funny, but its kind of a shame that the AI doesn't seem a little smarter at defending itself against those attacks. I mean I've been screwing with the same city for about fifteen turns and hardly moved the cleric! I wonder...if that pikeman is the only unit in the city, can a spy or a cleric walk in to the city if he steps out again?

D4
    "I know nobody likes me...why do we have to have Valentines Day to emphasize it?"- Charlie Brown

How would you react if you saw a cleric taking a machine gun and trying to invade a city . Too bad you can't name units... I would have named the spy James Bond so he would NEVER fail a mission and do incredible stunts with new cars and shooting the sniper 3 miles away with his lonely little pistol
    "When we forge weapons, we also forge war. When we forge tools, we also forge civilization. "

Comment

You can rename units just go to (your civilization folder) ctp_data\english\gamedata and open up gl-str.txt and scroll down to the part where it has the units name and then another name in parentheses, just change the name in parantheses to whatever you want to call the unit. Sorry if this is a little confusing.

Comment

You can also make a city revolt (not just riot) by soothsaying. I think once a city gets under a happiness of 60 it revolts. And each soothsay reduces happiness by 5. Figure most AI cities are 75 happiness, and it'll take five soothsays to make 'em revolt. It's good if you have tons of gold and don't feel like pounding a huge city for ten turns (and ruining it) to take it. Also, the huger the city, the unhappier it'll be, so this works great even later in the game when tanks and cruise missiles are around. The library says soothsaying always works, but it doesn't. Maybe 60-70 percent of the time max. But, it'll turn that city into a new "country" that you're under no diplomatic obligation to be pals with. Plus, usually half the units in the city are killed off, so it's easy taking after that. "the end is near, *****."

Comment

Working...
        X