Losing population when building settlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing population when building settlers

Can someone please tell me why when u build a settler the population of the city goes down by one. Its very annoying .....

It's just the way it is in CTP. I couldn't get use to it when I first switched to CTP from Civ2 also.

Comment

Ok, maybe I didn't played Civ2 a lot (1 full game at easy ) but didn't your population go down by1 when you built a settler???
      "When we forge weapons, we also forge war. When we forge tools, we also forge civilization. "

Comment

It's that way in Civ 1, Civ 2, CtP, and SMAC, as well as all the other in-between games of the civ genre. The basic reason is that, if you're sending out settlers to start a new city, it stands to reason you will lose some people at home. Also, if you could build settlers without pop. decrease, it would turn the whole game into a settler-building race.

(EX. Don't both with granaries, just build hundreds of settlers, then use the build command on each to raise the pop. of your city)

I'm curious, though, how long you've played these types of games, if you're only now asking this...

"That is..."
        -Euclid

"...just..."
        -Dante

"...the way..."
        -Tao Te Ching

"...it is."
        -Aristotle

-KhanMan
        Odin, Thor, and Loki walk into a bar together...
        -KhanMan

Comment

I don't know if you're correct khanman. I seem to have a vague re-collection that in civ2 under some governments, there was no penalty in terms of city pop.

Wait.....maybe I'm confusing it with the amount of food they consumed.

Comment

I have played it heaps, Knanman, but I've only just got onto a free ISP and I only signed up with this site two days ago .....

Thanx for the info anyway.

Comment

If it really bothers you, VivalaCTP2 (that's a daring username BTW, what are you gonna do if CtPII turns out to be a mayor disappointment? ), you *can* change that. Go into Units.txt and look for the entries on settler-like units (UNIT_SETTLER, UNIT_SEA_ENGINEER, UNIT_SPACE_ENGINEER) and remove the line BUILDING_REMOVES_A_POP.

Of course, KhanMan is right, it *will* turn the game into a settler-building race (don't know how the AI will respond to this though...).
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

You know, if you did that, and halfed the building costs of slavers, then you'd have a pretty wild game there...

Hmmm...patch, anyone?
                *eg*

-KhanMan
                -KhanMan

Comment

Oh, and phoenix? If the penalty was new in ctp, how come it was possible in civ2 to disband a city by rushing a settler? Or the little warning about disbanding cities?

"In nominae ephemera, et spiritus abscondita, veni!"
                  -KhanMan
                  -KhanMan

Comment

you're probably right KM. My memory must be failing me. However I do remember reacting to it when I started playing CTP. I don't know why.

Comment

Working...
                    X