end game comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• end game comments

As my first full game of CTP is drawing to a close I have a few comments.

As the mexicans I discovered the wormhole first, but the others have also now. I've got a few cities working on the x lab. I built the ESP Center specifically to stay out of wars while I tried to win the game with the alien lifeform. The AI is trying to goad me into attacking anyone to void out the ESP Center. The turks keep piling up War Walkers and tanks outside of one of my cities breaking the no trespassing agreement every turn. The Nicaruagans (and we're allied!) pirate a trade route every now and then, etc. I know its only to get me to react violently. I won't because I sure EVERY CIV will declare war on me.

I'm not sure what steps I need to take after the x-lab is done. If anyone can clarify I'd appreciate it.

THINGS I LIKED IN THIS GAME- I never had a problem with advanced units losing against ancient ones and all that. So combat made sense to me. Subnueral Ads are great if you can bombard a city with about five of them. I managed to cause three turkish cities to revolt that way. I wasn't always ahead in tech or power. I still think Prince level is a bit too easy for me (hey, I'm learning) but it did get hairy there for awhile.

THINGS I DIDN"T LIKE- Why can't you tell your allies to stop trespassing when they can tell you to stop trespassing? My allies sent me a stop trespassing demand but i can't do the same to them. They have about five fusion tanks roaming around my land and its a drag waiting every turn for them to move.

Globesat shouldn't go obsolete. Its a little silly to think that I can build cities in orbit but I can't keep a satellite up there.

Does the Agency actually do anything? The turks used a spie to make one of the cities I took from them revolt. I thought the Agency protected against spies.

Time goes too fast in certain ages. I can build sea cities but its not too much fun since its close to the end game. I have other things to concentrate on rather than nursing the sea cities to full strength. Also I had a plan to switch to ecotopia create a few eco-rangers and drop them from orbit wiping out all of my rivals capitols. But by the time I discovered ecotopia I didn't have the time to dink around with it to make it worthwhile. Probably my fault, but I wish it would slow up a bit at some parts.

Why does the AI build cities that overlap in radii so much?

Well, I think I'll go up a level for my next game, but I'll try the same strategy. I like going for scientific victories. Any advice on how to leave the AI hanging in the dirt while I become the scientific leader of the world would be appreciated.

D4
    "I know nobody likes me...why do we have to have Valentines Day to emphasize it?"- Charlie Brown

On the subject of the Agency, it only acts like you have a spy in each city, which reduces the chance of a successful spying raid but doesn't make it impossible.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by D4everman on 07-20-2000 03:28 AM
      I know its only to get me to react violently. I won't because I sure EVERY CIV will declare war on me.

This is a real problem. When you lead, they hate you (envy). When you are last, they hate you (contempt). When you are average, it seems, they hate you (grouchiness). Even your allies hate you, all the time.

The only one who doesn't hate you is the weakest of them, and he sucks up to you instead, so you hate him. Sigh.

quote:

I'm not sure what steps I need to take after the x-lab is done. If anyone can clarify I'd appreciate it.

Build Gene Splicers, Containment fields, and the other one that I don't remember what it is, and then wait. Fifteen turns, if you build enough of everything.

quote:

Time goes too fast in certain ages. I can build sea cities but its not too much fun since its close to the end game. I have other things to concentrate on rather than nursing the sea cities to full strength.

The hard part, in my opinion, is preventing them from growing too fast.

quote:

Also I had a plan to switch to ecotopia create a few eco-rangers and drop them from orbit wiping out all of my rivals capitols. But by the time I discovered ecotopia I didn't have the time to dink around with it to make it worthwhile.

If you can keep it up, it's the most effective way of ending the game straight away. Build up your forces in Corp Republic or Fascism (don't build Fascists), and then switch over to Ecotopia, and wipe the others out. Ecorangers have a 100% chance of success, for zero gold cost. Works for me.

quote:

Well, I think I'll go up a level for my next game, but I'll try the same strategy. I like going for scientific victories. Any advice on how to leave the AI hanging in the dirt while I become the scientific leader of the world would be appreciated.

D4

The secret to winning on science? One word: gold.

Build everything you can to make gold. Markets, banks, trade routes, city clocks, televisions ("Cardiff has built a Television" What, just one? ), you name it. If it makes more gold than it uses, build it. If it makes less gold than it uses, wait.

------------------
      Blivets rule!
      [This message has been edited by BlivetMaker (edited July 24, 2000).]
      Blivets rule!

Comment

Hey BlivetMaker.

That's not all-together true. When you are in the "middle", then its clearly possible to be loved by the AI. In my games I normally have 4-6 AI that's my allies or "just" loves me.

And that's going on until one of two thing happens:

1: They get short of land to expand on - then they turn against you.

2: The very moment you are able to build a wormhole probe - then.......

------------------
        Woodstock was here!
        First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Working...
        X