CTP= good or bad ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everybody!
    I'm relatively (?) new to this game (1 month or so) but still I find it better than Civ2 in some ways like:

1. You can stack units together to make it a more powerful combo. This means that there is no more "Get best guy first and win" thing.

2. At last! a Civ game which lets you go in space! (I don't know for Civ1 ) When I was playing Civ2, I always wanted to continue and go colonize other planets or at LEAST go in space which CTP did (not for colonizing other planets ).

3. Subversive units! In Civ2, the game was all about getting the best military units. But now, some players can do much more damage with those stealthy slavers getting to all your citizens or those infectors, corporate branches or all those cool guys. It takes the game to a new level with rewards well someone who uses them.

4. Trading! I prefer by far the trading system of CTP. You can understand it much better and you don't have to write down which city the trade caravan I built 30 turns before had to go!

5. It's buggy! ... ... ... ... never mind that one .

But of course, every game has a downfall (or LOTS of downfalls ):

1. It's BUGGY as hell! nothing pisses me more than playing a 5 hours game with 30 civs and me having the best citys by far cause of my slaving skillz and then BAM! game shuts down!

2. I don't find the water units "specialized" enought. I "think" I remember in Civ2 about 5 sorts of ships, each specialized for a specific task.

3. My friend once lost 3/4 of his new air fighter (unit you have in about mid-game to late-game) to a legion (VERY early-game)

4. Interface! Almost forgot about this one. Interface in Civ2 was MUCH better, you could see everything you needed in one window instead of 5 windows!

Well that's all I found in the time I wrote this. To conclude this, CTP is a great game, you just have to forget about the bugs (yea right).
    Cya!
    "When we forge weapons, we also forge war. When we forge tools, we also forge civilization. "

Comment

This guy clearly works for Activision. He's a plant.

Comment

actually, I start to think that you're working for firaxis horsie...

Comment

Actually, I would have love to receive cash for what I did
          "When we forge weapons, we also forge war. When we forge tools, we also forge civilization. "

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Big Dave on 05-16-2000 01:25 PM
            ....I encourage people to not buy CTP2 until it's been out for 6 months and we can all see if Activision is going to correct their previous mistakes or just try to soak us for more cash

Slight problem with this though - if nobody buys it, then we won't know if it's any good or not. We only know the limitations of CtP through the vast quantities of time invested by people playing it. Equally, this has led to the development of Mod's to improve and fix things.

OK, I agree that the initial release version could have been better, but I think that it's a great addition to the Civ family (even if it is a bit like the uncle that people don't mention! ) and some things were definite improvements over CivII (as someone mentioned earlier, caravans were an ENORMOUS pain in CivII!).

I will probably buy CtPII when it comes out (if I have any spare time to play, unlike at the moment!)

Dan

------------------
            Just a thought......
            Just a thought......

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DanMc on 05-28-2000 11:55 AM
              Slight problem with this though - if nobody buys it, then we won't know if it's any good or not. We only know the limitations of CtP through the vast quantities of time invested by people playing it. Equally, this has led to the development of Mod's to improve and fix things.

OK, I agree that the initial release version could have been better, but I think that it's a great addition to the Civ family (even if it is a bit like the uncle that people don't mention! ) and some things were definite improvements over CivII (as someone mentioned earlier, caravans were an ENORMOUS pain in CivII!).

I will probably buy CtPII when it comes out (if I have any spare time to play, unlike at the moment!)

Dan

Dan,

It's not the original release I'm complaining about. They didn't finish the game. I expect the initial release of any software to be, well, quirky at best and buggy at worst.

With CTP1 you've got to have the 1.21 HACK, the Apolyton Pack (or at the very least CD's mod) or WesW's Med Mod, AND ModPicker, a VBA program written by yet another player.

Now I really hate being on the same side of an issue with anyone who acts like a horses backside, but the above listed facts have really ticked me off.

Big Dave

[This message has been edited by Big Dave (edited May 29, 2000).]
              Any flames in this message are solely in the mind of the reader.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Big Dave on 05-29-2000 01:31 PM

Now I really hate being on the same side of an issue with anyone who acts like a horses backside, but the above listed facts have really ticked me off.

Big Dave

You've made a good start but sooner or later you're going to have to admit that your attacks on me have always been hypocritical.

Comment

Oh, did I stop paying attention to you, poor little troll? So like a good little puppy you try to come up and lick me in the face again? Pah! You cowards hiding behind the Internet are all the same. I'll bet you kiss up to people when you meet them in person, where they can see you for what you really are.

I make a general comment and you claim that it's aimed at you? Don't you feel self-important? I'm not hypocritical. Unlike you, I state what my complaints are, not just play the same line over and over again like a broken record. Also unlike you, my mind is open, not just my mouth.

So go somewhere and download a life, little one. Or come play some more until you recognize that you are way out of your league.
                  [This message has been edited by Big Dave (edited May 30, 2000).]
                  [This message has been edited by Big Dave (edited May 31, 2000).]
                  Any flames in this message are solely in the mind of the reader.

Comment

Oh dear dave, with every post it becomes ever more clear to everyone who starts the flaming. And you're so nasty about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X