CTP= good or bad ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTP= good or bad ?

Well, I dont have the game but I read a lots about CTP and almost all of the reviews were bad, why gamespot make a bad review ?
    Is CTP a bad game?

thank you
    ***HO MY GOD THERE IS SO MANY STARS!!***

It's bad, real bad.

Comment

Its a lot better with the various Mod's you can download, see the thread on newcomers for more info on them.

Comment

You'll have to make up your own mind on that, otherwise we'll have ourselves, yet again, another riveting "It sucks!--it rocks!--it sucks!--it rocks!" species of argument. Still, the intellectually-challenged have seemed to dislike the game to an irrational degree.

------------------
        "There can be no maximum of creation without a concomitant maximum of destruction, no supreme good without supreme evil"--Heller, paraphrasing Nietzsche.

"YOU MAY NOT BE INTERESTED IN WAR, BUT WAR IS INTERESTED IN YOU."--Leon Trotsky.

"The more passion for the argument, the less evidence for it"--Russel.
        Existence is Futile.

Comment

Hey Nord,
          You also forgot the emotionally "challenged". (see post #2)

Big Dave
          Any flames in this message are solely in the mind of the reader.

Comment

I wrote a couple of articles for apolyton why CTP sucks, here's a summary:
            • Activision gave the shaft to their playtesters and released a buggy game, took forever to patch it, and has moved onto the sequel before finishing CTP 1.
            • The interface is a bastard, that is, if you ever played another Civ title, activision thought it would be best to change everything for the worst. Moves that used to require 1 click now require about 3-5
            • The AI is Dumb, and not just slightly impaired, but real stupid.
            • There is no diplomacy, only war and have not discovered thee yet.
            • The art is uh, different, and the more I think about it the more I hate the polished look of many the units, they look as if they have been covered with chrome, and the movement gets on my flipping nerves
            • The pathing is awful, and why not? Everybody wants their units walking over mountains and have it so the unit cannot be stopped once a mistaken click is made. Of course activision assumes that a player will always move a unit if he or she clicks on it.

There are many more, but I will tell you I have spent at least 15 hours with the game only to walk away from my empires before victory. I've reached all the way into the space age and said "screw it." The will is just not there for the "just one more turn" like the previous civ titles.

[This message has been edited by DarthVeda (edited May 10, 2000).]

Comment

What he said.

Comment

Have you two tried any of the mods? The AI is no longer dumb and other things have been improved.

Comment

Well, I have been reading these forums for quite some time now and this is my first post.
                  Really exciting

But to the point now.
                  I bought CTP the moment it came out and I have been playing it ever since. To be honest I didn't liked it at first either (seems to be the same for everyone who's used to CIV 2 ).
                  But you've got to give it a second chance eventhough you won't be seeing any fancy cityscreens floaded with gold,science or people.
                  And if you are a TB strategie and simulation fan,CTP and CIV 2 are problably the best games available for the moment.
                  And for those who are whining about the little sitbacks of the game, clearly the advantages don't weight up to the disadvantages or how do you say that in english.

Comment

I'm not going to go into this argument again, but I'll just say that I've had plenty of enjoyment out of CtP, and I haven't even tried any of the mods yet. There's plenty of things that could have been better, but it's still a good game.

Play it on a friend's computer and see what you think. And try to find it cheap somewhere.

- MKL
                    - mkl

Comment

I was actually thinking of asking the same question earlier today, and Lo i find someone beat me to it?!?!!? So the general concensus is that it's an ok game, but buggy as hell, isn't quite what it was claimed to be!! But if it's right for you, you can still get into it!!!

So i don't think i'll spend £15 of my hard earned money on it!!!! does anyone think the sequel is going to be anything worth looking at? even though i haven't got a hope in hell of getting that one to run, i don't even know why i'm saying all this cause my p75 probably wouldn't even run CtP either way, i mean i could only just get SMAC to load after about 2 hours tweaking my ram with qemm, god i hate being suck in the 20th centruy?!?!?!? ****!!! sorry guys, i'm drivelling again?!?! take me out to the barn like old yella' and put me out of my misery, by the way. Has any one read that book? is it as good as the film? argh!!!!
                      "There are not more than 5 musical notes..." - Sun Tzu
                      ...and we build an Academy for this guy... :confused:

Comment

Can any1 tell me plz a good mod for better AI pereformance ? I played it 4 a few months now and well ... you know it your self .
                        but I think that this game is one big Beta Version anyway . a nice one . but buggy as hell .

------------------
                        -------------------
                        Enslave the enemy .
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

I gave CTP about 4 or 5 "chances" over the period of a year. Every time I realized the game was awful in almost all aspects but music (I always liked the music).

Comment

Face it, the game sucks.

Comment

>>Face it, the game sucks<<

Then why are so many people still playing it???
                              -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Working...
                              X