No announcement yet.

Modern Mod beta-edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had experimented with giving Archers a ranged value of 2, but decided to leave it at 1. I may go back, and see about giving them a value of 1.5. They cost less than mounted archers. I think I will make Stone Working a preq. for Domestication as well.

The Archer is the Ancient age artillery unit.
    Longbowmen weren't developed until the Medieval Age, along with the Crossbowman. Siege Engines hold the Arty role in the Medieval era, with Horse Archers bridging the gap from Ancient to Medieval.

Looking at the Units chart, the Ancient age units seem underpriced in relation to the Medieval units. I may go in and raise their prices while I am at this.
    I have a couple of things in the works regarding other aspects of the Med mod, so maybe I will put all this together for a second Update in the future.
    (You can't give each new version a different name for the packlist and scenario files. If you do, you can't use any saved games from the previous version.)

Comment

A few comments:
      1) Fair enough on the longbow, although it would be nice to make the main archer a bit stronger possibly with the bombard ability even as with a strength of 1 this would only do a little damage I presume.
      2) Is there any way to make the stockade only say 50% effective against slave attacks as I don't think they were that effective against slaving.
      3) Any chance of an ancient mod! By this I mean one where you include more improvements such as the stockade for the first few millenium such as water turbines, saw mills and the like. Obviously you would need to decrease the number of years per turn, and some more advances would be nice. I realise this would mean the game being more complicated and taking longer but I think it would improve the game.

Comment

I checked the improvements text, and apparently the prevents slavery ability is an on/off option, which can't be set to a percentage.

As far as lengthening and developing the ancient age, I am going to see how the Modern mod comes out right now. I have greatly lengthened the 19th and 20th centuries, hopefully, so we need to playtest and see how that works.
        You have to watch, and not make the game *so* long that players get a commanding lead before they get through it, and thus don't get to enjoy the future ages.
        Actually, trying to solve this problem was the main goal of the AAips and some of the other changes I made for the Med mod.

I just remembered that Morgoth still is working, I believe, on developing a mod that takes the Med or Modern mod, and lengthens out the ancient age just like you were asking about. All these ancient units he makes are going to be put in it.

Comment

I received a letter from Morgoth today where he said he was ready to begin file work on his mod, so maybe we will have a new mod in the future which covers approximately the same time-span as the original Civilization, with the ancient ages lengthened to fill the turns currently occupied by the post-Modern ages.

Comment

Thanks for the news update, I realise the game would be lengthened by this and may allow one side to take a commanding lead bit then it may have the opposite effect if one side is isolated and concentrates on science whilst another is fighting wars, that the one with more science would have better armies than the one too busy fighting wars to upgrade his forces to his already limited science levels.

Comment

Working...
            X