BYE BYE Spy - and all that

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYE BYE Spy - and all that

Well finally I saw that my early spy got a 1 out of 10 rating so I guess its time to bow out of the sprite making business.

I'm feeling a bit low at the moment so if the toe rag who gave the rating could explain why I'd appreciate it - I'm curious what he/she was expecting! - but I think that's the end of the story.

Marko's has a couple of my units from before the millenium still to post - so I guess before the next they will be! but now I've other things I need to catch up on.

For you other mod makerS if you need a unit let me know. I'll see what I can do but I'm eagerly awaiting a couple of new games so it depends ontime.

Don't bow out of the sprite-making business - your efforts are much appreciated.

May I humbly suggest you bow out of the business of checking the ratings in the Apolyton lists! They're pretty much meaningless.

Am I the only person who really, really dislikes them? If they're actually starting to discourage our valiant mod & sprite makers from their trade, then maybe a rethink might be in order.

Comment

NO!!!!

come on man, you cant quit because of an idiot!

first of all, it's only one vote.
      second it actually is 4.5 now with 2 votes(the second is not mine )
      three, look at the Apolyton Pack: it's the mix of what we call "the best of the best", and it has a 7 rating with 40 votes! not 1, not 2, but 40 votes! I mean, if cd's mod is an 8, why AP is a 7?
      four, dont just look at the rating. see that the same file has almost 400 downloads(in 5 weeks, 80 downloads per week)! just like the apolyton pack has over 5000. either just can't be so bad, can it???

Comment

Well, I don't vote for such things normally, but I'd give at least a nine for your early spy.

Really.

Comment

Morgoth,

No, don't stop. Everybody in the mod business appreciates what you do. Don't pay attention to some guy that wants to make himself feel good by giving you a bad rank. Besides that, (sorry Markos & Dan) not many people actually pay any attention to it, so you shouldn't either. And if you MUST look at it, understand that just a few people voting is not going to give you any kind of accurate judgement.

------------------
          Don, Apolyton Junkie

Don,
          CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

Ok, now I've got your attention What sort of units do you think we need more of? I was going to have ago at a couple of naval units next. I've sort of half done a Cog (Medieval boat - well the AVI file is done anyway) and I was then thinking of doing an ACW style Ironclad. Anybody got any deas or preferences after that?

Markos - by the way I just sent an Ancient Egyptian based spearman to you so you now have 3 units from me (Musketeer and ancient heavy Cavalry)

Comment

yeap, along with 4-5 other ctp files, over 10 smac files and some 30 smac hof saved games....

Comment

I think it'd be cool to have units that look like

A 19th century professor
                a Hindu priest
                a Catholic Bishop
                a witchdoctor type
                a Buddhist monk
                an improved horse archer

Also, I'm having a problem. I cannot find the sounds for two units, and the game keeps crashing. How do I find them, when I think that they've been compressed into sounds.zfs. Help!

Thanks for sticking around, BTW!

Comment

John
                  Katy is working on a Mongol horse archer type unit so that should do as the new horse archer unit.

Not sure about the other units as they aren't 'combat' type units.

Sorry but I haven't looked into the sound files so I'm not sure where they are kept.

Comment

I just finished the new version of graphics for CD's mod. If I had known you were working on a new horse archer I would have waited with that, but I guess now I'll just have to do a new version when that horse archer is finished. Please let me know if you are working on anything else that could be used for CD's mod so I don't have to come out with a new version every week or so.

Comment

Hi Morgoth,

I personally liked your early spy alot, as well as your Javelin Calvary, Nobleman, and Fyrdman. I also liked your other units that have been posted as well, I just haven't figured out how to use them yet. I am looking forward to Katy's Mongol Archer, and I think an improved Seige Engine would be nice. I remember some people saying that when playing on lower resolusion settings it seemed out of proportion to the other units. I personally haven't experienced that because I play at 1024 X 784, but if it would help some people, I think it would be worthwhile to do it.

Timothy Pintello

Comment

Morgoth,

While you are on the subject of ships, how about an 'attack hovercraft'? (Technically, I guess it is not a ship.) I started using them in Civ2 and want to introduce them to CTP but have yet to see a hovercraft graphic that I wanted to use.

------------------
                        Don, Apolyton Junkie

Don,
                        CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

I'm glad you threat turned out to be a hoax, Morgoth, or I was going to write you a nasty letter.

Anyway, I have written you in the past about what *I* would like to see as far as new units.
                          One new thing, though. Would Katy be willing to strip (the armor off the Noble Cavalry) for us?
                          (Maybe *this* will get her to post on the forums.)

If she *is* willing to strip for us, I would put her (unit) in a new edition of the Medieval Mod, and also the Modern mod.
                          The unarmored cavalry would go into the Jav. Cav.'s current position, and I would move the Jav. Cav. into the Mounted Archer's position.

And remember, no nasty emails.

Comment

Skorpion59 - Can you send me an example of the type of Hovercraft you were thinking of ie the units file from CIV2.

I'll see what I can do.

WesW - If we strip the armour off the cavalryman you would end up with a similar one to the Javelin Cavalry but with a shield is that what you want?

Tim - I was thinking of doing a medieval Bombard. I'll see about adding a new Catapult after but the AOE one that the existing catapult sprite was made from is quite good.

Comment

we could surely use a WWI rifleman...
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X