No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a Call to Power 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be tough to convert - no arrays means everything would have to be hard-coded, and you can't select units through code, so no offering the player the choice of what to upgrade.

Comment

I'd like to suggest the addition of at least one more city improvement with entertainment value. You see, when my sailors and other military units reach port hundreds of miles away from home, they get lonely...
      "I'm an engineer. I make slides that people can't read. Sometimes I eat donuts." - Alice

Comment

Originally posted by jpww
        I'd like to suggest the addition of at least one more city improvement with entertainment value. You see, when my sailors and other military units reach port hundreds of miles away from home, they get lonely...

I just dont get it, if they are sailors, they oughta be equipped to "handle themselves" at sea..

Unless they are, of course, spoken for??

Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by J Bytheway
          You can't terraform to white mountains normally anyway, and I'm fairly sure the replacement is possible only in CTP2, not CTP1. You have much less power over tile imps and terrain in CTP1 . If I'm wrong, then please correct me.
          Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it was in CtP1 I did this.

Code:
          TERRAIN_DEFAULT_ICON	ICON_TERRAIN_WMOUNTAIN	
          TRANSFORM_REMOVE	5	2000
          TRANSFORM_ADD	5	8000
          TRANSFORM_ADD_ADVANCE 	ADVANCE_FUSION	
          TRANSFORM_REMOVE_ADVANCE	ADVANCE_FUSION
          You need fusion, and you'd be mad to do it, but don't these lines enable it?

And if you moved them to the shallow water entry (or at least the ADD lines) doesn't it enable water terraforming?

I dunno, it's been a while.
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

First of all: Don't make it TOO realistic.

it doesnt have everything to be totally explainable.
            just mix reality and functionality well together, or you're getting nowhere.

for the rest the bold ones are headlines, the curved ones are my very priorities.

DIPLOMACY

- better ways to agree about territory, especially sea (or space) territory with AIs and other human players.
            think of each territory tile as a precious ressource.

- make more diverse exchange options available, like exchanging 200 gold for a tech or a map. combined with the above point you could also trade with territorial agreements.

- make embassy building easier. i hate causing war, just cause im sending a diplomat to an AI.

- dont close embassies during war or automatically re-open previous embassies.

- allow embassy establishment even under philosopher's stone for later times.

- make it possible to cancel alliances WITHOUT going to war.

UNITS

- i dont find it realistic that 'special' units like a spy or diplomat take up an entire square.

- also, moving a unit on a stealth unit, like a spy, shouldnt really unveil a small thing like a single spy.

- maybe spies could sit down in a city or civilisation permanently like in 7 kingdoms.

PLAYABILITY

- make it easier (maybe a seperate tool ) to modify the text files to your likings.

- especially creating and naming own civilisations without causing crashs in MP or error messages at game start would be fine.

- make more players possible, civs as well as human players. theres nothing beyond human interaction, even in the internet

- for the above, allow simultaneous play as good as possible. i know its hard, but id love to do a PBEM game with 32 players.
            most actions dont interfere with the rest of the world.
            also, during the first 10-20 turns there wont be ANY interference at all.

- sea territory should be more easily defendable. like in colonisation fortresses could slow enemy sea movement or even auto-fire at hostile ships passing by, whether they end their turn there or not.

- dont make cities revolt before giving a FIRST warning. how many times did i spend my last money only to have the wages auto-cut and half my civ turning barbarian

- upgrading units as tech goes on

- optional check box whether goto orders should be stopped at enemy contact or not.

TRADE

- give some sort of control over the way trade routes take

- dont let piracy be tolerated so easily.
            or
            - dont have piracy cost a caravan that often.

AIs

- dont have AIs settle in territory that is clearly not theirs. its acceptable if they dont accept continents as boundariesm but right in front of a city with lots of improvements ON an improvment ??

WONDERS

- more wonders

- no too powerful wonders like London Exchange is IMO.

- real wonders of the world (great wall, library of alexandria) should have priority, then add artificial ones.

- OR find a way to let civs in-game create their own wonders, like the real wonders became only so famous because they were thought of at some point. i know this will be hard though

REALISM

apart from what i said above, some realism is appreciable. for my taste it would be this:

- if u discover a technology that is far ahead of what you have, make it sleep somewhere until realistic. the AOL version of civilisation (civilisation: evolution) had an interesting feature that made that tech than just cheaper to research. there were unknown, known and 'heard about' techs.

- dont give way too modern advances in ruins. or at least explain them differently, like alien crash sites or something
            could also be a distinction between ancient ruins and crash sites whereas crash sites behave different in modern ages. like you wouldnt know how to use plastics in ancient times.

STRATEGY

- easier ways to defend (globally ?) against subversive tacticts like infectors, ...

DON'T EVER CHANGE

- those things that make this game so much better than any civilisation variante and make city growing actually useful, like Public Works instead of settlers running around, science dedacting from gold income, ...

just some ideas of mine

as for the COMMERCIAL aspect of not releasing another Call to Power:

first of all im sure that with the most important changes (if activision can tell ) it would sell like CTP 1 did.
            but to even circumvent that risk:

- what if the players could donate money in some form, or participate in the work ?
            for example, players could vote for a specific change and donate money to get exactly that change implemented. if a specific change has enough money, they implement it, if not they use the money for another change that gets to the full support.

- also, they could make a poll, for instance coming with other activision products, what players most want about new CTP versions and offer them the above opportunity via that poll.
            Last edited by Mathemagician; December 12, 2002, 13:21.
            Baal: "You dare mock me ?"
            O'Neill: "Baal, c'mon, you should know ... Of course I dare mock you."

Comment

oh and:

that was as short as i could possibly put it
              Baal: "You dare mock me ?"
              O'Neill: "Baal, c'mon, you should know ... Of course I dare mock you."

Comment

Applause to all for your contributions....whether they'll ever be taken up by activision is another q?

Although im new to this game, ive been looking at the text file modifications...very interesting and powerful stuff there. Ok so there are a number of limitations and unrealism involved i.e the whole concept of a bomber fighting a pikeman (diff eras and technologies) and losing to top it all!

That said....if activision wasnt prepared (for whatever reason) to do these mods i have a suggestion.

Im no game developer but im sure that if we all decided on a number of mods....were sure to be able to put together a team of folks who would/could be able to work in unison to produce something for ourselves!

After all this is a world community, with im sure a lot of clever dudes/duddettes out there....i for one have a mathematical/applied math background as well as 15 yrs IT experience and would be willing to devote time to such an idea?

Hocus/pocus...daydreaming?

A penny for your thoughts my people.....lol

Comment

* Bump *

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Triggs
                    * Bump *
                    ^%$#@!!!!!(**%$)

I do wish you would watch where your going Peter!!

I mean..I nearly wrecked my ride and had a bad fall on your *BUMP*

Peace

Grandpa "Wishing-but-not-waiting-for-a CTP3"-Troll
                    Attached Files
                    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I suggest you all post ideas for a CtP3 game in this forum, where ideas for Civ IV are being panned out. A few CtPers are fighting a war with the Civ III people to get things like Public Works and stacked combat into Civ IV.

As there won't be a CtP III, it's the best chance we have for getting another game with PW, stacked combat, etc

Comment

What do you mean there won't be a CTP3?

The reason I'm lurking around there is to keep track of good ideas for it.

Comment

Well, not an official one anyway. The source-code project is as close as we're going to get, now Activision only does publishing.

Comment

Official Schmofficial, CtP3 is CtP3
                            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

CtP3 or CtP2.5 ?

It seems the next best thing to CTP3 is to put out a updated version of the game.

Something with new units ' diplomacy options new scenarios and tweaked Ai . It seems if more time was given to this game in the first place -it would have been unmatched

The mods prove this -which in a sense are the spirit of CTP3 .
                              Test of Time was a udated version of Civ2

Comment

Working...
                              X