Suggestions for a Call to Power 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Locutus
    I know what you're talking about with that terraforming unit, it's been discussed several times in fact. The SLIC group (remember that? ) looked into it and I clearly remember having a discussion about it with Nordicus - but I can't remember if that was in CtP1-Creation, CtP2-General, email or ICQ...
    Hey - if we could find that slic code again.... then we just might be able to make a sort of canal (if the code works as expected that is).

"Invent" an engineertype-unit, which terraforms land to shallowwater. Give the unit flags for limited fuel for say 2-3 tiles and low movepoints. Make it "Single use" just as nukes and make it rather expensive.
    First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Bird, IMO, it would be simpler to use PW for this.

Comment

Yes - if you could terraform to shallow water. But you can't.
        First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

You can, but you have to replace an existing terraforming. Something useful like White Mountains perhaps...
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

What will happen then when you generate a new map?

Gandhi

Comment

IW means to replace the terraforming ability, not the terrain. Unfortunately there are two problems with this: You can't terraform to white mountains normally anyway, and I'm fairly sure the replacement is possible only in CTP2, not CTP1. You have much less power over tile imps and terrain in CTP1 . If I'm wrong, then please correct me.

Comment

I remember a pill box in the world war II scenario for CTP2. It would be interesting to have different types of forts. Maybe exttend space to the moon.
                So one guy turns to another guy and says "T.A.I." His friends says "What?" He responds by saing "Think about it;)"

Comment

If we are going to let any of the possibilities "go", then my vote will be the possiblity to terraform to a desert.

Who would want to terraform anything into such a tile?

Gandhi

Comment

(Stop me if I mention something that was implemented in Call to Power 2 - I've only played the original.)

Lots of victory conditions - for instance, in Alpha Centauri you could go for military, economic, diplomatic, or scientific victories.

Complex alliances and blocs, along the lines of NATO or OPEC.

Easy way to upgrade units - especially useful when your Pikemen are far away in the field and you discover Gunpowder.

(Most ambitious suggestion.) The thing I'm most uncomfortable with in CivGames is the way technology comes in discrete packages that you can pick and choose from. I always work around this, by imagining that it's just representative and the Republic wasn't literally invented in 1080 AD, just to use one example.

It might make a little more sense (or at least for a different balance) if you accumulated science the way you normally do, but certain units and improvements only became available at or around a certain number of science "points" or whatever you wanted to call them. For example, you might be able to build Legions sometime between 1,000 and 1,500 science points. (I haven't given any thought to how you'd access new Wonders. ) This might give the feel of technology being more of a continuum and less of a series of islands.
                    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Oh no, I killed the thread! Were my ideas that bad?

Seriously now, what are the prospects for a third Call to Power?
                      Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBirdMan
                        If we are going to let any of the possibilities "go", then my vote will be the possiblity to terraform to a desert.

Who would want to terraform anything into such a tile?
                        A Nomadic Camel-Jockey???
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President
                          Oh no, I killed the thread! Were my ideas that bad?

Seriously now, what are the prospects for a third Call to Power?
                          None I think. And that is too bad. There are a big potential (and some money) here.

Gandhi

Comment

No there isn't. Well, plenty of potential, but no money. Last we heard CtP2 sold about 30,000 copies (admittedly, that *was* a while ago), compared to well over 750,000 for CtP1 (and the game is still selling). Commercially CtP2 was a huge failure (it, together with some other setbacks, brought Activision dangerously close to bankruptcy 1.5 years ago), so I don't think any sensible investor would still want to invest even a penny more in this series
                            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

They could release it under a different name, like Civlization 3, oh wait they made that, didnt they?

I dont get why they dont just release the source code then if theres no chance of a sequel, give it up. Sheesh all the ctp1/2 modders could develop it even.

on topic: I definately would like to see a unit updater, a proper one. Also it should have unique abilities that you can choose from game start (not unique civ tho) so you can play anyway you want with any civ.
                              Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                              CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                              One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

One could probably convert Peter's unit upgrade code for CtP2 to CtP1, but I for one don't have time for that...
                                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X