Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allowing Units available whole game question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allowing Units available whole game question?

I am tinkering, trying to save time by feedback from others whom have walked in the pathway I am fixing to follow!

What I am trying to do is make it so I can have a phalanx,alegion,a pikeman and a musketeer all available at once, also Knights and Calvary both available at the same time.

I have seen where it is possible to place a "CANT_BUILD" in units text to stop the possible construction of future units.

Ok, I see where obsolete can be made "NULL" so as to keep it going.

My question would be what other files need to be altered?

1) Advance?

2) Units.txt to make it so a Tank wont be available to replace a Knight/Calvary?

Machine Gunners I believe and or Marines replace pikemen/Musketeers as well as Artillary replaces cannons. Does this need to be replaced/altered?

I seem to remember crashing to desktop when I reached the advance for pikemen, Ag.Rev., because I had legions and Phalanx allowe tro build alongside of Pikemen and Musketeers.

Any input Would be greatly appreciated!

Troll
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

I think you only need to make changes to Units.txt.

You can change ENABLING_ADVANCE and OBSOLETE_ADVANCE to make the units come available/go obsolete when you want and, as you said, use CANT_BUILD to prevent undesirable units from becoming buildable. If you want to, you could also make advances unresearchable by giving them themselves as prerequisite, that way you make it altogether impossible to research Tank Warfare or whatever (but just CANT_BUILD will do the trick as well)...

It should not be a problem for Phalances and Pikemen to be buildable at the same time. If your game crashed this must have been caused by something else, in itself it's not a problem to have multiple generations of the same type of unit around (and buildable).
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

The only thing that makes a unit obsolete is an advance. What units are allowed by that advance is nothing to do with it (AFAIK). It should be sufficient simply to set all the OBSOLETE_ADVANCE fields to NULL and nothing else. I can't imagine why this would give you a crash... What were you doing when the game crahsed? I suppose it's possible that this change might confuse the AI and cause a crash that way but I don't think it's likely.

Try just changing the OBSOLETE_ADVANCEs and see what happens...

Comment

Cross post...

Comment

Ok..to "Quote" the Great Locutus, My "SWISS-CHEESE" of a brain sometimes "computes" but then again..sometimes.. does'nt "compute but then again.."If I only had a brain..." my buddy from Wizard of Oz....

Ok..so I am looking for easiest way out,

I am gonna go to the Units.tx and place a "CANT_BUILD" next to all units i dont want..
          no problems there, a little time factor is all!

Next I am gonna make the units I want to KEEP have an obsolete advance of "NULL"..so I should be able to set any advance to Null and that unit will keep on being available, according to theory?..I shall soon test that!! Thanks much!

As for crashing, listed as in my Brain-Fartius when i tried "CANT_PILLAGE" & "CANT_PIRATE", I just got an error . I deleted the two flags and no problems. When was playing with the units.txt before I just crashed when it came around agg rev. or close..but will double-check, heck, this 'ole country boy could have typed something wrong..

I shall try these ideas out soon!

Thanks

Troll

Comment

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ok..placed CANT_BUILD, no probelms.

Next I removed the OBSOLETE_ADVANCE and replaced whatever it was and put in the word NULL, which seems to be the normal word throughout the whole text files.

BUT, got two errors,the first>>>>

UNITS.TXT line 611 Error
            Exepcted advance

(I checked that spelling, its correct)

I then hit ok to close that error message and got this one next>>

UNITS.TXT line 611:Error
            Unit Flag is not a string

I said, what the heck, so I tried to just simply remove the line "OBSOLETE_ADVANCE" and then it crashed and had an error saying something like "Missing Line OBSOLETE_ADVANCE"

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Troll

Comment

Hmm... odd. Does this happen with one specific unit or with all? Either way, could you attach your units.txt file, I'd like to take a look at it...

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                Hmm... odd. Does this happen with one specific unit or with all? Either way, could you attach your units.txt file, I'd like to take a look at it...
                All the units I tried to do this with, Yes!
                Thanks much my friend!

I just sent it.

I have an early morning concrete placement, actually we have over 500 cubic yards all over the county tommorrow, so i will be headed to snooze-vill soon!

C Ya later!

troll

Comment

Well, it's way past my bedtime so I'm don't want to go into detail right now but you could try to remove the double OBSOLETE_ADVANCE lines where they exist. So instead of

"OBSOLETE_ADVANCE NULL
                  OBSOLETE_ADVANCE NULL"

Use

"OBSOLETE_ADVANCE NULL"

If that doesn't solve your problem I'll look into this in more detail tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                    Well, it's way past my bedtime so I'm don't want to go into detail right now but you could try to remove the double OBSOLETE_ADVANCE lines where they exist. So instead of

"OBSOLETE_ADVANCE NULL
                    OBSOLETE_ADVANCE NULL"

Use

"OBSOLETE_ADVANCE NULL"

If that doesn't solve your problem I'll look into this in more detail tomorrow...
                    me too..but let me try that, brb..take me just a second..Ill post back within a few..

Troll

Comment

Whos da man?

L
                      O
                      C
                      U
                      T
                      U
                      S
                      Yippur!!

I went thru and made only 1 Obsolete_advance null
                      for all the units with two obsolete_advance..WORKS
                      I tested a quick one up to gunpowder, I had phalanx,legion,pikemen,musketeers, Knight and Calvary, as well as cannon.

I shll continue to work on other things, Thanks much my friend!

Im off to bed, will continue tommorrow, working on what I need to!

Troll

Comment

OK! All iss great so far, I forget what turn I am on, almost to Communism, I am in Modern , having found RR. I have the lead, barely on PG, against 3 AI's on a 140 X 280 Land Map!

So far, AI has had little problems, they settle and attack, having been in multiple battles, I am slipping up behind them and try to encamp around to prevent them having abilities to expand!

I will keep posted!

Troll

BTW, I have only allowed Phalanx,Legion,Pikemen,Musketeers,Knights,Calvary and Cannons to be built. So far so good, although I found a rogue artillary piece in ruins. My people think its an alien artifact, they will study whats the potential for its usage

We shall see how the AI works out not having stealth units and future units to build

Troll

Comment

Working...
                        X