funny stuff from ruins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• funny stuff from ruins

I had sent a longship out exploring for around 200 years, and it found a one square island in the middle of nicaraguan territory with ruins on it. I unloaded a horse archer onto it and found:

"the remains of an ancient civilization. their writings show your scholars things they hadn't known about" or some such. I get a tech.

The tech? Jet Propulsion!

man those ancients were something, weren't they?
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Sometimes you get something even more overpowered. My best was an Eco-terrorist when I just entered the Renaissance age.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Just before I finished my game, I got future air 2 out of ruins
      Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
      ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Luckily, you will seldom find a barbarian War Walker hidden in those ruins
        "I'm an engineer. I make slides that people can't read. Sometimes I eat donuts." - Alice

Comment

Originally posted by jpww
          Luckily, you will seldom find a barbarian War Walker hidden in those ruins
          Try playing with MedMod, the barbarians tend to keep pace with current tech. Last time I played I saw a barbarian machine gunner I never been able to get past modern in MedMod, so I never found a barbarian war walker(But I don't doubt they are in the mod, it is one wicked game)
          "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

the most amazing tech i even found in a ruin was:
            guess what, Quantum Physics.
            ==========================
            www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

I have actually played with several versions of the MedMod.

Read here from my first expirience with MedMod2 (28. february and 3. march 2000):

Sure it was fun.
              Last edited by TheBirdMan; July 20, 2001, 16:33.
              First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

One game I played (default game, essentially), I found a War Walker in one of those ruins. Unfortunately, it was too far away from my nation to sail it back any time soon. Since I was planning on establishing a city ten tiles north (the whole island was glacer, except for some polar hills and mountains), I walked it up there as a defender. I don't think the AI ever knew I was there . . .
                SoulFisher
                _________|
                I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. -- Galations 2:20 (paraphrase)

Comment

In my Conquer PBEM I found nationalism and Mosketer in 2 sepearate ruins. It was around turn 32

Comment

If I took it upon myself to create my own scenario, I would turn the ruins off to begin with. This way, I could somewhat diminish the luck factor in CTP; Thus, balancing things out a bit more for everyone.

I suppose you could also achieve the same result either by setting up an "islands" game, or by customizing your own map
                    Last edited by jpww; July 22, 2001, 15:31.
                    "I'm an engineer. I make slides that people can't read. Sometimes I eat donuts." - Alice

Comment

Originally posted by jpww
                      If I took it upon myself to create my own scenario, I would turn the ruins off to begin with. This way, I could somewhat diminish the luck factor in CTP; Thus, balancing things out a bit more for everyone.
                      I am creating a scenario, and I have turned off ruins (in case anyone wants to know how, just set the RUINS_CHANCE_PER_BOX to 0 in const.txt). In Civ2, they had no advances in ruins after you discovered invention - perhaps this could be simulated in SLIC (with some appropriate advance in place of invention). It certainly makes the game fairer to do without them, but the reason I removed them was to stop barbarians (which tended to crash the game) and because the scenario is based on Mars, where there really shouldn't be any ruins from ancient civilizations... or should there?

John

Comment

...set the RUINS_CHANCE_PER_BOX to 0 in const.txt...
                        Thanks for the tip

Comment

There are some other values in const.txt, along the lines of RUINS_MAX_GOLD, RUINS_MAX_ADVANCES, RUINS_MAX_UNITS. Something like that. Perhaps fiddling with these numbers could affect the types of advances/units obtained from ruins.

Comment

Ah well, even if this thread is a bit old, I still want to post a reply. Guess what I found in ruins once? Communism! Shows what happens to those who enact it! They end up in ruins!
                            Oh, and another VERY strange object I found in ruins: a fascist! I have never enacted fascism for moral reasons and thought I'd never get to see that unit. But here it was! So for a while there was a fascist without a fascist government. Life is full of surprises, isn't it?
                            Truth is not negotiable.

Comment

Shows what happens to those who enact it! They end up in ruins!
                              That is my government of choice wins well for me
                              “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                              Or do we?

Comment

Working...
                              X