Possible balance patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible balance patch

Hey guys. For the last year or so I've been playing with a tweaked version of call to power that I think fixes a few of the balance problems with the game. The game has been out for over a decade now and its obviously good, or we wouldn't keep playing it. As a community I think we know what the major problems with the game are. We know how to fix some of the bugs (the computer units not showing up in the right places). With enough effort we might be able to add some safety to the play by email games. A way to keep your opponent from peeking for example. A way to make sure that turns only get run once. Of course of the ten of us that still play I don't think anyone here cheats. But these are things that activision should have put into pbem and didn't. Furthermore we can fix some of the more egregious balance errors in the game. I don't know if the wonders or nukes are fundamentally fixable, but they're so unbalanced right now that people simply refuse to play with them. Theocracy is an automatic choice. Space planes are so strong that very often the first person to get them automatically wins. Maybe these issues don't need to be fixed, but I've never seen a competitive game go beyond the space plane stage because they're so powerful.

The goal here is to build a patch that will be used for our future ladder games fixing bugs and balance issues along the way. Since the community is so small I think that we could and should get every active players agreement to the patch before rolling it out. So the guidelines I think are as follows.

1. This is a balance patch, not an expansion. That means no new units, no major gameplay changes. We don't want a major revision here, just a fix of the more glaring problems. (If you want an expansion the Forever Future mod is supposed to be very good).

2. The game should aim to balance 1v1 Call to Power. Multiplayer is important, and core to the civilization gametype, but the ladder is 1v1. We play mostly 1v1 games, and free for alls tend to self balance as weaker players gang up on stronger ones.

3. If we can't get a general consensus on a change, we don't make it. The goal is to make patch 1.3. We want it to be as official as possible, and we want everyone to use it. The goal is to fix the game, not split the community.

So who wants to work on it?
    --Higgs

Well I suppose I'll kick us off. One major problem is Wonders. They don't seem to work in 1v1 because they're unbalancing effect is too large. I think they might be more doable if they got obsoleted sooner, cost more, or required special advances. Anybody else have an idea about this? Maybe the thing to do would just be reduce the power of the worst offenders. Sphinx never seems to break the game. London Exchange does so regularly.
    --Higgs

Comment

London exchange could be reduced to only offer a 50% discount on maintenance. Unfortunately the real problem is that it scales in a somewhat unpredictable fashion.
      --Higgs

Comment

Well guys just wanna ask is this still open if yes then for applying what will be the procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyShane View Post
          Well guys just wanna ask is this still open if yes then for applying what will be the procedure.
          Well I never found much interest from people, but if you're still interested we can get a google doc going.
          --Higgs

Comment

London Exchange doesn't work that way. You can only set the maximum maintenance level that will be nullified. For example, if you set it at 10, all buildings with 10 maint or less will be free to maintain, while you will still have to pay full upkeep for any building with a higher maint cost.

Comment

[WIKI][/WIKI]
              Originally posted by Max_Smirnov View Post
              London Exchange doesn't work that way. You can only set the maximum maintenance level that will be nullified. For example, if you set it at 10, all buildings with 10 maint or less will be free to maintain, while you will still have to pay full upkeep for any building with a higher maint cost.

Thanks! Do you have a suggestion for fixing it? Could set it to 10.
              --Higgs

Comment

10 (maybe 12 to include the Cathedral) seems like a good rule of thumb, it is still a powerhouse as it saves hundreds of gold per turn when it is built, and into a few thousands later on, but it's far from being totally overpowering. I'd also suggest that it should be obsoleted faster, right now its longevity is almost outrageous. Preferably obsoleted by an important, sought-after advance like Global Communications that gives another overkill Wonder.

Comment

Working...
                X