Problems with sprites!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with sprites!

Can anyone out there please try and reproduce the following problem.

When using destroyers at maximum zoom out (ie the smallest size) they cause two types of problems. Just before combat a second sprite pops up in an adjacent hex (normally this happens when not quite using maximum zoom out). This is the not so drastic problem - the other problem which only seems to occur in the maximum zoomed out is a fatal error and bye bye game.

What I'm trying to find out is whether this is a sprite size problem - (we've recreated using sprites we've created). Or whether its a hardware problem or just another programming problem. At the moment unfortunately Activision don't seem any the wiser - their brand manager finally replied about this saying it 'should be solved' but one of their programmers has contacted me asking to resend details about the crashes (we've sent them 3 or 4 sets of details already but I assume they have binned them - either way doesn't inspire you with confidence on whether this is resolved or not).

If anyone can check this or check one of the Sprites by T Davies and confirm whether or not they get this abend I'd appreciate it. I have a Huscarl unit and an ancient cavalry Javelin man to send in but I need to know whether they are likely to cause any problems.

Overwhelmed with the response!

Anyway, I've finally found the problem - and this probably solves a similar problem with the Activision supplied destroyer.

When using MAKESPR.EXE to create a sprite there is a command that got missed out of the documentation. This command is only used if you create attack animation and then its a must have. The command is

UNIT_SPRITE_ATTACK_IS_DIRECTIONAL

If (like I used) this parameter is followed by a 1 (one) the bug is created ie in maximum zoomed out mode (only I believe) the game will crash when a combat takes place. If this parameter is set to 0 (zero) all is well. I have no idea what the purpose of this command is other than at almost maximum zoom out the sprite can move to an adjacent diamond when the battle commences!

Unfortunaltely this means we will be re-issuing new Slinger and swordsman sprites and Dan/Markos please don't post the new spearman sprite as it will now be replaced. Good news (if your interested) is we can now post our cavalry javelinman - watch those Javelins fly when he attacks!) and Huscarl sprites.

Comment

Sorry Morgoth,

Looks like only you had the smarts to figure this particular problem out.

I have a different question though. How do you convert files into .avis? I'm not animating my units, but I need to have an .avi of a static picture to have a Great Library entry, I think. So I'd like to make an "animation" of a single picture for that purpose.

Comment

Harlan
        Any chance you can try out the destroyer bug on your machine just to confirm its not just my machines. Go to max zoom out and set two destoyers to attack each other. The game should collapse instantly.

Regarding the AVI. Don't know how to convert.I haven't got anything that will do it. I just create the AVI files and the TGA's from 3d models.

However, I don't believe you need them. If your not animated go to the UNITICON file and change the avi entry to the appropriate CU0xxF.TGA file and you get a stationary picture anyway - even when in animated mode. I just tried it and it works although may eb a little quicker if the TGA is also put in the the videos folder (I only tried it still in the pictures folder).

Comment

I tried the two destroyers attacking each other at max zoom, and the game didn't collapse. But then again, I've replaced the CTP Destroyer graphic with one of my own a while back, so that probably doesn't help you much.

If what you're saying about .avi files is true, that would be a great thing. I'm currently making all those little files so I can actually post some of my work. As a quick review, for each unit I need:

UPUA01.tga (96 by 72)
          UPU001.tga (40 by 30)
          UPU001b.tga (30 by 30)
          UPU01.tga (96 by 72)
          CU001F.tga (160 by 120) (which I trick into being the Great Library file as well)

all in 24 bit format. Is that correct? Are these the minimum sizes needed for all? (since I'm gonna have so many units in my scenario I'm gonna need to keep graphic file sizes at a minimum).

Comment

I just thought of something to save on size. The cu001f.tga and upua01.tga are both read from uniticon.txt, so if you changed both those entries to upu001.tga you would need only one 160x120 tga for the GL, unit/build tab and cheat mode. You would need a second 30x30 tga for the right-click image and an avi for GL animation. I tried your tip of using the tga for the GL animation but it would cause the game to crash. Was this changed in the 1.1 patch? I don't use the patch because it causes crashes all the time on my system. Also, the tga images should be 16 bit, not 24 bit.

Comment

Harlan
              You had a file called UPU01.TGA this is either an extra one I hadn't come across or a mistype of UPU001.TGA you had already listed. Do you know which - or I'm missing it from my units.

The use of CU0xxF.TGA as a replacement to the avi file I tried only quickly this morning but it worked. I am using 1.1 though although there was a delay as it looked on the disk - I assumed this was searching for the AVI. When you are in GL with the GL animations on the TGA file comes up first then the avi comes up afterwards. I'll try some other units and see if it crashes or not on mine.

Unfortunately if you replaced the destroyer sprite you probably can't recreate the problem. You need a sprite with attack animations but I particularly wanted the test on the CTP supplied sprite.

Comment

Morgoth,
                I was using the Swordman unit as a model, but looks like the UPUXX.tga was just thrown in there as an extra.

I also tried out replacing the .avi with a .tga and it seemed to work. Couldn't say if it took longer to load though.

Another new question: has anyone tried editing the Great Library text files yet? In the Modifications section of this website there is a file that explains how to do it in rough terms (Activision FAQ part 1), but I don't know of anyone who has yet. I'd like to give it a stab but I'd feel better if I knew of someone else doing it right already.

I'm surprised the "graphics for CD's mod" doesn't have any GL text changes.

Comment

Harlan,

CD's mod did contain a number of gl files. They're the easist to make. Just look in the language/gamedata/gl folder and open one.
                  Also, I put "null" for the avi of my new improvement, and the game defaulted to one of the two tga files.

Morgoth,

I checked for the destroyer crash Monday night, but got mixed up and did it on max zoom in. Also, I tried your slinger unit, and it looked good. Send me your javelin unit, or publicize its posting, and I'll put it in the new mod I have ready to send in. As for the cavalry unit I asked about, I don't guess I'll include it, so don't go into anything on my account.

Comment

The size of pictures doesn't matter Harlan.
                    You just have to keep the 4:3 ratio exept for the upu001b.tga which must have a 1:1 ratio.
                    It works the same for units size (this is really great, cause we can now have really huge units). Btw anyone has tried to make some very big cities ?

Comment

WesW
                      The new units I have ready are a spearman and a Huscarl and a Cav Javelin man. Will post as soon as I can but just need to recompile the sprites. I'm also looking at reducing some of the Tiff's and reducing the AVI to 3 secs rather than 4. This should reduce the actual file sizes by approx 25%.

The destroyer bug thing is when the units are at the minmimum size you can get to. We play on the 1024*768 size. The swordsman and slinger also casued this problem when we tried so I hope to post all of them to Apolyton by tomorrow (not sure how long they will take to post). If you let me know your email I'll snd the cav javelin guy to you direct if you want to check him out first.

Comment

Morgoth,

Take your time on the sprites, and sent me the cavalry javelin thrower whenever you're satisfied with it. I'm calling the unit a Lancer, and I described the unit in the historical gl for my mod as a Native American mounted warrior. So, if he throws the spear when attacking, it should still be historically accurate (like spearing buffalo).

Click on the middle box at the top of this reply, and it will open a link to my e-mail address. BTW, what is a Huscarl? I couldn't find it listed in the dictionary.

Comment

WesW
                          Cavalry is based on a Thracian style cav so doesn't look much like an Indian Horseman!

Huscarles were the backbon of the Saxon army by 1066. They're armed with 4 foot axes and were rated (along with their scandinavian equivalents) as about the best foot infantry at that time. see http://www.regia.org/huscarl.htm
                          For more info.

Comment

WesW
                            Ancient Jav cavalry was posted to apolton today. let me know if you still want me to send it to you - as I said he doesn't look like an American Indian though!

Also, sent them revised slinger and swordsman (this gets over the bug I discovered with one of the makespr options). Also, they have been re-positioned slightly in order to make sure they don't look too alike (its also tied with me fidling around with the Makespr utility to see what really happens on some of the animations).

Comment

Working...
                            X