FreeCiv map file format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeCiv map file format?

I'm not too familiar with FC at all, but does it have a standard map format?

I haven't been able to find any file format specification (there must be some surely)... I haven't really looked through the source code, but my C(++?) has become a bit shaky anyway...

The reason I'm asking... I might add (some) FreeCiv map support to MapEdit (or at least the ability to export Civ2 maps to FC format), that is, if the format isn't too obscure...
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

I don't think it is possible to convert civ2 maps to freeciv maps. The overall shape of the maps are different.

But anyway, freeciv maps are compressed (with gzip) plaintext. So just gunzip a savegame and take a peek. If something isn't clear then look at server/savegame.c . The code there should be fairly readable.
    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

There is also civworld. Its a gui interface to creating and editing maps for freeciv.

--
      Paul Zastoupil

Comment

I've actually made a simple program that converted the civ 2 map data to freeciv format. You needed to add on more info to make it a full map file, but it worked. I encountered two problems: civ 2 doesn't actually put the resource locations in the file, and freeciv can't display the isometric maps properly. I sidestepped the second issue by not caring, but that caused vertical lines to become very wavy.

Comment

Yes... I didn't realise the isometric maps were tilted Civ1-type maps, rather than Civ2-type maps.

Thanks anyway...

Mithrandir: You were using the past tense, so does that mean your program is no more, or just that it's a long time since you actually used it?
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I've still got a copy on my computer, but I doubt that it even outputs the correct map format anymore. It was an extremely simple program: It just read in the tile data for a tile and put out the freeciv character, making a newline whenever it finished a horizontal line.

Comment

Well, nevermind, I'm not too much into FreeCiv anyway. I might try again when I have nothing better to do.

Comment

A few days ago, I tried to make a script that converts Civ2 maps to Freeciv savegames with the use of your .sav specifications, but someone at the freeciv chat discouraged me to do so because of the incompatible formats.
                I also made a little PHP script that converts PNG images to a Freeciv map. Maybe that could help you a bit? http://lists.complete.org/freeciv-de...g00281.html.gz
                The one previously known as Eru_Iluvatar; also bearing the name Bart Coppens

Comment

Working...
                X