Unit Graphics 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit Graphics 2

The unit graphics thread had reached its limit, so here is a continuation thread. The old thread is to be found at previous Unit Graphics threadAlthough the gifs are paletted (being gifs) the Java graphics classes convert everything to rgb colours anyway, so we do not have to worry about palette limitations. Also the transparency is handled (at least in my CorelDraw 8) as a mask rather than a colour. Again, no problem.

Cheers

Is there a "list" of what units we're going to use in Clash ?

After i'm finished with the updated terrain, i was thinking about making some units. Unless there are more pressing issues to be resolved of course.

-Stian-
    If you want to discuss topics on History, with an emphasis on the military aspect.
    Visit: http://www.historic-battles.com/

Comment

Units (or elements) currently include:
      Warriors, Light cavalry, archers, phalanx...
      Some unit graphics that may be used right now:
      A skirmisher (currently uses archer image, could use a slinger better I think) - not very important as it won't be seen unless your unit is badly damaged.
      An engineer (think roman legion engineer building the roads and forts) - again, low priority since they are hardly seen.

Units we will need:
      Some round boat if we manage to get boats working, which should no longer be a problem now.

Units I would like:
      A catapult.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Oliphaunts!

Elephants are cool!

But it's not time for them yet.
        "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
        George Orwell

Comment

Elephants

Elephants might come in handy now.
          Since we have a Delenda scenario, and to any French Hannibal implis a notion of elephants crossing the Alps, we could use an elephant graphic for the Delenda scenario.
          That would mean I would have to please Gary by providing some code to manage civ-specific units.
          Any artist interested?
          Gary, would the elephant be welcome in the scenario? From a player point of view, I think it would, as you would feel different playing Rome or Carthage.
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

About units having their own image rather than elements: It is OK with me. Indeed, the changing icon because of the wounds may be confusing.
            Still noone interested in painting elephants?

Comment

That would mean I would have to please Gary by providing some code to manage civ-specific units.
              I don't think this is really a military model matter, rather it is a civilization matter. We do have to deal with it at some time, though.

Any artist interested?
              I will give it a go.

Gary, would the elephant be welcome in the scenario? From a player point of view, I think it would, as you would feel different playing Rome or Carthage.
              I would certainly like them.

About units having their own image rather than elements: It is OK with me. Indeed, the changing icon because of the wounds may be confusing.
              This is exactly the area where unit images are better than element images. Normally the elephants would have infantry support elements with them, in such numbers that the infantry image would dominate, and the fact that the unit is based on elephants is lost, so the elephant image would never be seen. Forcing the image to be an elephant one does not preclude the possibility that the unit has more infantry than elephants.

I will make this change.

Cheers

Comment

Unit images are now implemented. I am working on the elephant.

Cheers

Comment

Bump so Twinge can check it out.

Twinge, the elephant got done... In addition to the transport ship I mentioned before, the d7 city icons are a bit too big for the tiles, so that is one possibility. I am not sure if we ever officially determined we need a settler image, but I think we do, so that 's another thing you could try.

Thanks for being willing to put some effort into this!

-Mark
                  Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
                  A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
                  Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

I'd like to have a legion icon to differentiate legions from cohorts in demo7 carthago scenario. It is almost the same unit, just a bit more powerful, but it'd be nice to differentiate. I downloaded something to try to be able to generate gifs but I am not sure I can get it to work and won't have much time for during the next two weeks anyway. So if anyone's interested...

Comment

Ok, I made up a little settler/engineer/guy with a shovel pic. It's not great but it might work, dunno. Feel free to modify it of course. I haven't tested it out on the backgrounds yet. I might work on another boat design tommorow. I dig the coasts btw, should over a lot of nice variety with the beaches. We'll probably want to make a few more varietys of the basic land tiles so they can be a little more diverse, but that's obviously not a top priority.

I didn't quite understand what you were asking about with the city icons. Which ones? The town gifs, the tiny city2 gif or the big city roman gif? I suggest you download a program called irfanview for your format changing, directory browsing and image resizing needs =) Nice free program, here's a link: http://www.irfanview.com/
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hey Twinge:

The city ones I'm worried about are the ones for the Romans in the Delenda D7 Scenario. I don't know what their name is, but you should be able to ID it in the scenario file at a guess.

Thanks for the settler. As you say, you'll need to do some experimentation to see how he works on the terrain gfx.

I'll check out that program sometime tonight...
                        Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
                        A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
                        Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Thanks for the link Twinge. I had tried it but couldn't reach the server. I found another trial software, which took me 3 tries before I managed to get transparency... I'll show my legion icon here. I don't like it much because it is static, and doesn't stick out against the mostly green background. If anyone can get a better icon, I'd like it. Otherwise if you think color-tweaking would make this image acceptable, I'll try to make it better.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Just run a search on google if you can't get it from there. Irfanview is freeware, better than shareware, and can do most of the basic graphic stuff with ease. Quite nice =)

Ok I'll look at the city when I get a chance.

Comment

Well I went ahead and made a smaller town1.gif, but It's the code that makes it too big, not the graphic. The code stretches it to fot the tile, and it stretches it too much I guess =)

Here's a comparison of the 2 citys being using in game; the small city I made just looks blurrier, but it's still the same size. I can upload the small city if you still want it but I don't think you need it
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X