Unit Graphics 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, again!

I was checking the forum to see what the current status of Clas wah, when I just remembered I did a few legion icons back then I never finally submitted you. Or I did?

Anyways, here they are. Perhaps you can use them for the Carthage scen. I've already put them over a greenish background.
    Attached Files
    "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
    - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Oh, the background didn't show up. Again:
      Attached Files
      - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

And this one was intended to be a centurion. I didn't like it so much then, but perhaps you can find a use for it now taht you want separate icons for cohorts and legions.

Anyways, good luck with the project and keep up the good work!
        Attached Files
        - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

...And here's the Settler/Etc. in action:

It's not great obviously but it should work at least until someone makes something better. Anyone in graphics can easily add a shadow if they want to I'm sure.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Fiera, that's great to see these units! . I personally like the white one with shadow. If noone complains, it and the centurion will end up soon in the game.
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Hi Fiera! Good to hear from you again, and thanks for the images. If you run across any more stuff that you think might be useful that hasn't been passed on, if you could zip at all pop and posted here, that would be great. Then artists, or anybody for that matter, can mine it for stuff we can use.

Laurent, I think your guy looks good! I hate it that I'm the only one with Absolutely no artistic talent around here .

Hey Twinge, it looks like Gary is doing a resize of the graphics when they are read in. my guess is if you take your new image with the smaller city icon but leave the image size in the gif the same size as for the larger one it should work. But before you put substantial work into it, best that you hear from Gary what the official party line is. I guess that's what fuzzed out your settler image also. I think the settler demo image was really useful. I think the short skirts on the settler making looks somewhat effeminate , so I'd advise making the skirts a bit longer. Another issue is a his clothing may not fit in really well with settlers for the dawn scenario. So if you're interested in trying some generic peasant clothing that might look like it could come from a wider range of cultures and times, I think that would be a good step in the right direction. If you're not intrigued by the concept, we now at least have a Settler icon!

One other idea would be to find a Civ2 tileset whose size matches our existing tiles and images well, and asked the creator if they wouldn't mind us using/modifying them for Clash. I don't know if this is a job that would appeal to you or not, I'm just throwing it out as an idea...
              Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
              A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
              Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Yeah I was kinda trying for generic peasent clothing, IE white robe or kilt, but it ended up kinda odd. (remember that anciet Civs didn't always have access to dyes for clothing; regular attire was probably often white) I made a few different versions with brown clothing and one with a bigger shovel for some comparison. Do whatever you want with the unit and use it how you will; it didn't take me too long to make so I won't get all pissed off if you don't use it =) Here's a zip of the 3, in bmp format right now:
                Attached Files

Comment

...And here is the smaller town gif comparison. Good idea mark, that did the trick. I might need to smooth it out a little bit to give it a little more definition like the original, but it's nice and smaller =) Is this about the size you want?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Oooh,I just thought of something else that worked even better (along the same concept): I just made the empty space on the original one larger. That way We keep the original details without as much fuzziness. If the size is right, this is probably the one you want to use (I made the whitish top border a little less white since it seemed a little too offset) I can do the same for the other (as of yet) unused city pic if needed. not difficult as long as you have some simple stuff like Irfanview and paint.

Btw Mark: I have a lot of free time so doing something like this usually isn't a waste of my not-very-precious time =) Usually I do what a feel like... so if I feel like resizing it, I can since I have the time (yeah the luxuries of being a kid... I have all the time but don't appreciate it. watch that completely reverse in 15 years.)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Twinge:

I tried to download the zip, but got an error. You can mail it to me if you like. One other good thing you could do on the art front is to get yourself a freebie web page somewhere and post everything you are working on there. Some of the other artists have done that, and it works out quite well.

The smaller towns symbol labeled new looks about the right size to me. The really small one looks sharp, but I think it would look bizarre compared to a humongous military unit. If you'd like to try it out and post the results, I think it would be useful to see. And before we make any decisions on what to go with, the other team members will no doubt let us know their opinions too . There's are more important than mine because I have very little artistic taste and by and large little squares would work OK for me. Did you ever see Demo 3? Well, I'm not quite that bad...

I think it's great that you have a lot of time! That's the one thing that most of our team members lack. Whether you're a "kid", or the pope trying to get a break from all that boring religious stuff , I don't care so long as you produce for the project. BTW, you should probably go ahead and put yourself on the Clash team page, since you certainly done enough work already to deserve that signal honor .
                      A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Didn't think I needed another in game shot since it's so similar to the other one, but here it is since it's quick to make =) It's clearer and probably a better size, although I don't know what size your aiming for.

One other good thing you could do on the art front is to get yourself a freebie web page somewhere and post everything you are working on there. Some of the other artists have done that, and it works out quite well.
                        Yeah I have webspace avaiabole, but while I'm just showing a few mediocre sample pics for the most part attachments are working fine =)

Did you ever see Demo 3?
                        Nope, never saw Demo 3. I first came here early Demo 5 I think.

I tried to download the zip, but got an error.
                        I'll try it and upload it again if I need to. (Or email, if I need to
                        Hmm It worked fine for me. Try it again and if it doesn't work I'll mail it over.

EDIT: I think someone else has to sign me up if you want me to be shown there. It just lists people and what they Do under the Join section.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Twinge; May 29, 2002, 23:42.

Comment

I am staggering back from overwork compounded with bronchitis. Still a bit shaky.

It is great to see all the activity in this area. Gives me the warm fuzzies!

There is one area of Clash that has never has a specific person assigned to it. I have been doing it, but don't really want to, and there are other things I can better spend my time on. That area is the custodian of the pictures (units and tiles). There should be some place where all the pictures (and the images.xml file) are in a single place, maintained by one person. If this were done properly, we could have a sort of palette of units and tiles to draw on. If anyone has a new picture they can post it and the custodian can pick it up and add it.

To aid this idea, I intend to move the images.xml file to the tiles directory, to keep it with the images, if this is agreeable.

Do I hear any volunteers, Twinge?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Twinge
                            I think someone else has to sign me up if you want me to be shown there. It just lists people and what they Do under the Join section.
                            Sorry, Twinge, I wasn't sufficiently informative...
                            Please put your info in this thread. It'll then be put up on the web site team page. I have bumped up the team web page so you can see it.

So Twinge, are you game on Gary's request? Your web site would be a good place to put up all the current images available. When there's a new one, you could add it to a "New" section so people can quickly see what they have to work with.

Comment

hmmm.... I could I guess. I don't really want to, at least not yet. I'll reconsider it in a couple days

I'll get Bio info up fairly quickly as well.

Comment

Hmmm.... the #%^$#@ Team Members thread wouldn't bump up when I posted in it. Well, if you look at the format of the team member web page, and put your info up here it should work ok.

I will send out a new D7 testbed today, provided we can get a vaguely stable version . With everyone making progress its hard sometimes to have up-to-date that also works well. If worse comes to worse, I'll just fix the bugs in the version I have right now, and send it out!

Comment

Working...
                                X