Unit Graphics 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hun horse archer, another 1% progress

I didn't have a lot of time this week, so model is still incomplete. At least, our Hun now doesn't look like he was hastly welcomed by some legioner...
    Attached Files
    If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.
    Stella Polaris Development Team, ex-Graphics Manager

Comment

Re: Hun horse archer, another 1% progress

Originally posted by targon
      At least, our Hun now doesn't look like he was hastly welcomed by some legioner...
      LOL!
      Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
      A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
      Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Hun horse archer, near complete(?)

Now, our Hun looks almost like human (I hope), all major parts are implemented. There is still a room for improvement, especialy for his face and right hand. With much pain and waste of lots of computer time, I've got something resembling normal hair and fur.
        Attached Files
        If you don't see my avatar, your monitor is incapable to display 128 bit colors.

Comment

Hi Targon, looks cool. I think if its not too much trouble the hand that is on the bowstring should be closer to the shoulder to make the bow look more drawn.

We could use the small version of those images even now, when you're ready with them. If you don't want to do all the little mods on the small images I just heard from a guy tonight who might be willing to take the last step with them.

Cya,

Mark
          A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Very nice, targon...

Though now, the hand with which the guy is pulling on the bow-string does not seem too natural. There are two reasons:

1) The hand is kind of relaxed. It doesn't seem as if he is pulling. The elbow needs to be more drawn back and lifted. If you have the arm and the arrow lie in the same horizontal plane, it would look much more natural.

2) The arrow is parallel to the arm, in which the guy is holding the bow itself. Again, it creates the illusion that he is not really pulling on the bowstring. The arrow needs to be on the same line as the lower arm - between the elbow and the hand.

I know, I am too picky...

EDIT: Hmmm... Just read Mark's post more carefully. It seems he is basically saying the same thing.
            XBox Live: VovanSim
            xbox.com (login required)
            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
            Spore page

Comment

vovansim,
              You aren't any picky, you're completely right. Posing isn't any easer than modeling or texturing. I also need to fix his hair somehow.

Comment

A long time ago, someone was writing about getting permission to use some of the existing game mod images, like the HiRes graphics patch for Civ2, that are on Apolyton.

I need a lot of images to test out expensions of the tech tree. I know they are not exactly the right size, but it would be better than anything I would draw.

Did we ever get permission to use any of them? Most of them say that they can be distributed and used freely, but only if no money is charged, so since we are not a GPL project we would need the creator´s premission.

Come to think if it, is there anything in the code that requires 40x80 tiles? What would happen if all the images were a different size?

Comment

BTW, what kind of images you need? If it doesn't requre extensive organics modeling, they may be created rather quicky.

Comment

What I need is, unfortunately, mostly people. I have created the following units, but have not been able to add them to the tech tree due to lack of pictures:

Scout
                    Cavalry Scout
                    Horse Archer
                    Cataphract

I also need a better wood wall; the one I drew is pretty ugly, as well as a simple stone wall and a really good stone wall. I would also like battering ram as the first siege weapon.

In the log term, we basically need everything that Civ2 has, plus a lot that they don´t. That is why the current graphics patches would be so useful.

Comment

The tiles can be any size, they will be scaled.
                      There are several siege weapon images already, though no ram (ballista, catapult and trebuchet). Note there are 2 archer images, so you may use one as a scout.
                      Clash of Civilization team member
                      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I have already used every single unit image in the tiles folder, except MarionLegion which IMO is too ugly to use and Trebuchet which is too high tech for these scenarios. There are already two different types of archer units and three different siege weapons in my file.

Once the unit obsolescence is fixed, I will have the capability to expand the tech tree and military units into a whole-history game. The lack of images and the size of the power circle are the only barriers. Can events change the power circle size? If so that is not a problem either, since I can easily have technology shrink the circles as the game progresses.

On a related note, can we put an option to get rid of the minimum size of the power circle?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Bruns
                          I have already used every single unit image in the tiles folder, except MarionLegion which IMO is too ugly to use and Trebuchet which is too high tech for these scenarios. There are already two different types of archer units and three different siege weapons in my file.
                          AFAIK there is no reason why, temporarily, you can't use the same image for two distinct unit types. BTW a new artist has shown up willing to work, and I pointed him here to take a stab at your requests.

On a related note, can we put an option to get rid of the minimum size of the power circle?
                          Smaller PC sized looked really odd in original playtesting. Why is that crucial? I guess we can make the min size settable in the xml and that way it could be set to 0 if you desire.
                          Last edited by Mark_Everson; February 6, 2003, 13:24.

Comment

Targon.. you are a god!

I humbly bow before you, oh master of graphical rendering.. *bows* My pathetic attempts at making units have, shall we say, very ugly results. Your historical accuracy just makes me ask 'why so much trouble,' but looking at the results, I can tell this game will be freggin' awesome with people like you working on it. I'll do my best, and hope thats enough but damn... Yes yes I'm the new guy, and my stuff will pale in comparison.

-Tyler

I cant seem to get it to upload my image so Ill link later... after my website is respectable enough to be seen.

Comment

Re: Targon.. you are a god!

Originally posted by xxjiggawhoxx
                              I humbly bow before you, oh master of graphical rendering.. *bows*

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Everson
                                AFAIK there is no reason why, temporarily, you can't use the same image for two distinct unit types. BTW a new artist has shown up willing to work, and I pointed him here to take a stab at your requests.
                                I am trying to standardize things so that players know exactly what a unit is when they see it on the map. IMO a picture should always be associated with a single set of stats unless the scenario explicitly states otherwise.

Smaller PC sized looked really odd in original playtesting. Why is that crucial? I guess we can make the min size settable in the xml and that way it could be set to 0 if you desire.
                                It isn´t crucial, I just think that the current minimum size is too big. It is annoying to have to test five or six difeferent power circle multipliers for each scenario just to make sure that the smallest unit has a power circle no smaller than the minimum power circle size.

Comment

Working...
                                X