Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do know of a single instance in which a technology was lost by a culture. The question of whether it could be considered to be within the same civilization owner is rather moot.

In their spread across the Pacific, the Polynesians knew about pottery when they reached Samoa. When the reached Tonga, the next major centre, they had lost that knowledge. The apparent reason is that the small islands had no suitable clay. When they later colonized Rarotonga, Hawaii, Easter Island and New Zealand, all of which have suitable clay, the knowledge had been forgotten.

However, in this case, sections of a similar culture had no substantive contact for centuries - I cannot consider them the same technology owners.

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by Gary Thomas (edited April 20, 2001).]

Comment

• What is the greatest number of posts we can have in a thread before starting a new one?

Cheers

Comment

• You just passed it

Richard, could you start us up a new tech thread? When you get the time, its probably a good point for a complete revision of the writeup on the web page etc. as has been noted before.

We should probably also get a web page going with the documentation for the tech editor also... but that can probably wait a bit.
        Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
        A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
        Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

• So ends the detour from the earlier tech thread. I have bumped the Technology System Version 5.3 thread, which is officially the current tech discussion thread. I will soon put up a new thread, but until then we can continue discussion fromthis post.

Comment

Working...
          X