No announcement yet.

Riots Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds good Laurent. I'll have time to check it out over the Christmas break.

I wonder if we could use a global riot-severity setting for playtesting. That way one could reduce riots arbitrarily in a given scenario if riots were getting in the way of being able to achieve designer goals. It would also help to find the right overall balance between fun and riots if it were settable by individual playtesters.
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

I wonder if we could use a global riot-severity setting for playtesting.
      There is already a minimum riot probabiliyt variable, that can be set and tweaked. It is I believe different in various scenarios, for example I don't want riots in dawn. However the effect is the following:
      Min 10 or 20% before a riot happens. If you have 10 probabilities with a base chance of 25% of riots, you'll have 10 times 15% or 10 times 5% of riots, which means respectively at least 3 riot per 2 turns and 1 every other turn. So it does change a lot, but when the riot probabilities grow high and when there are many ethnic groups you wlawys get many riots.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I added an event when rebels conquer a capital (provincial or civilization): They disappear after doing some major riots and change the policies and make the m unchangeable for 3 turns (the murder the ruler event, if successful, does the same). It needs tweaking, particularly for province capitals, but makes rebels more of a nuisance while having them disappear after they've got what they want. In particular, they can hardly be used as a buffer against incoming persians for instance.
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
          I added an event when rebels conquer a capital (provincial or civilization): They disappear after doing some major riots and change the policies and make the m unchangeable for 3 turns (the murder the ruler event, if successful, does the same). It needs tweaking, particularly for province capitals, but makes rebels more of a nuisance while having them disappear after they've got what they want. In particular, they can hardly be used as a buffer against incoming persians for instance.
          Is 3 turns really enough? I mean, if it comes from bad to worse, wouldn't it be better to let the rebels take the capital, reset policies for 3 turns then go back to normal? Ideally squashing rebels is better, but if you can't, 3 turns is a small price to pay to get rid of them.
          Which Love Hina Girl Are You?
          Mitsumi Otohime
          Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Comment

The three turns will need testing, but they can be annoying, particularly when you have several rebels in different provinces which want different things. Some rebels may set slavery to 100% for three turns, and this can lead to riots so other rebels want slavery of 0%. If you let rebels out of control, with this system you're very likely to be unable to stop them until you kill all of them, and then some still spawn. Of course, if you take care, you can avoid such a situation, but if it does happen, you will really dislike the rebels.

Comment

Working...
            X