Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The usage of the model in another project

Hi,

I have recently been in contact with Mark Everson and Rodrigo Quijada regarding the usage of some models (specifically the Social, Goverment and Riot models) for a seperate project I am working on.

I am writing a HTML based political wargame loosely based on a 80's boardgame called Supremacy. Think of the game as a mix of Supremacy, Balance of Power and Shadow President.

It is set in the 1960's through to 2000. It depicts the world as a multipolar system where there is six competing superpowers fighting for global supremacy.

I want the international interaction between superpowers and sovereign states to be constrained by domestic political interest groups. Now I have been struggling with the Domestic Politics a bit. I have doing a lot of research. I am currently reading "War and Peace" and I have just finished "The Principles of Internation Politics". But then I found the Clash website, and found the models to be an very rich source of information. The models fit perfectly for what I was looking for.

Both Mark and Rodrigo are happy for me to use the models as along as pass back feedback on the implementation along with other finding I might discover. But I was would like to know if any other members of the group object to my using of the models.

I personally do ot feel that there is any conflict of interests between our projects. Our games would meet the needs of two very different markets. Clash takes the players through 300 years of history, my game focuses on 40 years. Clash concentrates on technological progress, trade and relations. Mine concentrates more on International relationships.

What do guys think. Any objections?

Ian Wermerling
    Ian 'wormbyte' Wermerling

I can't see anything wrong with your doing this. Warning: there's an awful amount of equations. You should try to check most equation models and see that some equations are reused here and there and you should probably introduce a few intermediary variables or functions for them. But well, that's my take on it.

Beware also that the evolution of the social model and several other things relate a lot to the tech model and the length of the game, so you'll have to adapt a bit.

I think the govt/social/riots model is quite good, particularly when you see them at work (even only the part I've coded), so I think it's a good thing if other games make use of it. Just be sure to give us feedback. Whatever you find doesn't work in your game may be interesting for us in ours. Good luck.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I'm actually a fan of those sort of games - I think it'd be nice if you when both projects are further on if you bring your political game and inject some of it back into Clash.
      As an ancient civ game it's not so important, but once it gets to the point where the game is developed enough for more modern scenarios then I think the kind of political dimensions you're talking about will be more than appropriate and inject an absorbing dimension into Clash.

I thought Clash was going to be a 12,000 year history of man game?!
      click below for work in progress Clash graphics...
      clicaibh sios airson tairgnain neo-chriochnaichte dhe Clash...
      http://jackmcneill.tripod.com/

Comment

Thanks for the positive response guys. Thank you also for yours tips of usage.

I will of course be more than happy to provide feedback on the models and provide Clash with what ever I can from my project.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowdaddy
          I thought Clash was going to be a 12,000 year history of man game?!
          Yes, what's with the 300 years?
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

It was a typo, was supposed to be 3000 years, but then that is probably wrong by the sounds of it

Is it 3000 or 12000 years?
            Last edited by wormbyte; March 15, 2004, 05:33.

Comment

I think it's 9000BC to 3000AD, but there doesn't appear to be a standard Civ game - i.e. the whole world from the dawn of time - as yet, finger crossed there will be, eventually.

Comment

Clash is a framework, within which scenarios are presented. The way the game is currently set up there are a limited number of scenarios, generally designed to present some new aspect of the game. There is absolutely nothing to prevent people designing a scenario involving battling dinosaurs (provided they also do the artwork) or battles on the dying Earth, just before the Sun becomes a red giant.

So, on that basis, the span is from the time life appears (Imperial Protozoa?) until it disappears. Let us say 1,000,000,000 BC to 5,000,000,000 CE.

On the other hand, there is nothing in the system that restricts it to life on Earth...

Cheers

Comment

On the other hand, there is nothing in the system that restricts it to life on Earth...
                  Well there is...ie we don't have a way to model 2 planets...
                  Which Love Hina Girl Are You?
                  Mitsumi Otohime
                  Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Comment

SCCCRRREeeeechh!
                    the sound of posters veering off topic!

Comment

Working...
                    X