Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• square map vs diamond map

Hi,

I'm developing a civ-like game and I'd like to ask your opinion on something that came up:
    When I started this project I used a DirectX tutorial to begin with, now I achiaved a beautiful diamond tile map (like SimCity2000, Age of empires, etc), however all civ games use retangular maps. If I don't have to rebuild the algorithim that does the painting it will speed up my game's release, so do you thing this is important?
    In a diamond like game world maps and historical scenarios would have to be turned 45º to the right to fit world's paralels divisions.
    By the way in retangular I mean a civ-like map not a 2D, all tiles in my game are 3D.

Thanks,

Felipe

I'm not sure if I understood you... are you talking about the shape of the map itself? If so, one consideration is probably whether you want to connect the sides so that unit pops up in lower-right side when it enters in upper-left side. It might be a bit confusing with diamond shape (because one might intuitively expect the unit to cross the map either in left/right or up/down directions, but not both), but otherwise I can't think of any possible problems...

Comment

I used a diamond type map after I could not get the pathfinding algorithm to work with the square isometric map. But I did not write the pathfinding algorithm to begin with nor did I spend time trying to figure out how to make it work.

I think a diamond type map is easiest and fastest.

Comment

I'm not sure if I understood you... are you talking about the shape of the map itself? If so, one consideration is probably whether you want to connect the sides so that unit pops up in lower-right side when it enters in upper-left side. It might be a bit confusing with diamond shape
        You're right, it wouldn't be a good idea to make a connected diamond map, I wonder if that is a important feature...

I used a diamond type map after I could not get the pathfinding algorithm to work with the square isometric map. But I did not write the pathfinding algorithm to begin with nor did I spend time trying to figure out how to make it work.
        I'm going for the diamond map because it's easier and faster on the other hand I'll have to sacrifice borders connection. I wrote my tile location routine, but rewriting it would be time consuming

Comment

My game has a map with hexagon tiles. Suggestions?
          Last edited by XarXo; March 10, 2003, 11:58.
          Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

Comment

My game has a map with hexagon tiles. Suggestions?
            Hi, exactly about what do you want suggestions?

We are talking about the final shap of the map here. Hexagon tiles can be arranged just like diamond ones in diamond or retangular shape, with the sames advantages and disadvantages of each one.

Comment

Working...
            X