Ideas On Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas On Production

This is just and idea I came up with that anyone can use in his or her (wow a politically correct spellchecker) alt civ project, (including Firaxis on civ4)
    Instead of the normal civ way of production I have another idea,
    It can be broken down into:
    Wages and Workers
    Slaves and Costs

In the democratic governments you set up how much wages the jobs of production and farming (and other things your alt civ will have, like research) each have. The higher the more population will work there, so you will have a wages and people working there indicators in the job area/box, one area/box for each job sector.
    You will also have a pop percentage indicator, e.g. a pie chart, showing the percentages of people are working in each area, and then how many are doing nothing.
    Over each age/years/turns your peoples wages will go up and you will have to pay more so the effect that happens in civ: you get ludicrously rich by the end, doesn’t happen as much

In communist or despotic governments you can make this into work camps or slaves or whatever:
    You choose how many people work in each sector and no one slacks off, the other cost you have is the cost of keeping the slaves alive. This means you can choose whether you kill them all off by looking after them but having more money (or possibly getting the job done quicker)
    Of course the disadvantage is the pop growth is less and pop loss is greater.

This can tie together with resource systems being used.

Hope all the projects are going well even tho the forum is stale

Tishco
    Just my 2p.
    Which is more than a 2 cents, about one cent more.
    Which shows you learn something every day.
    formerlyanon@hotmail.com

Re: Ideas On Production

Hi Tishco:

Yeah, this place has been deader than a very dead animal with "I'm dead" written all over it in big red letters...

Originally posted by tishco
    In the democratic governments you set up how much wages the jobs of production and farming (and other things your alt civ will have, like research) each have. The higher the more population will work there, so you will have a wages and people working there indicators in the job area/box, one area/box for each job sector.
    On the wages idea, my quibble with you is that you still are assuming the same old dumb command-type economy that is in all the genre. Even if you're a democratic civ you still tell people exactly where to work. In your case its just implemented by wages you put in the interface, unless I'm misunderstanding your approach.

We've already got something more sophisticated planned in Clash. The economy in demo 6 already runs like a real market. There is a market for goods, and prices depend on supply and demand. People work where the returns for their work are highest (in a market economy, for the other types, command and traditional the results are different). To implement something similar to your wages idea, in the future we will allow the player to incentivize or tax different sectors of the economy. In a market economy this will result in more people going into sectors that are incentivized than would otherwise be true.

The idea on ordering people where to work in a command economy is a good one, and we need to think of a way (maybe using yours) to handle this. But again, this is only true for a command economy. In a market economy the central government does not attempt to tell people where to work directly since the structure of the economy and any incentives let the people do that for themselves. If you're interested you can check out the Economy page off the clash web page. I'd sure like to hear your ideas on implementations of the sort you discuss here!

Cya,

Mark
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

i didnt really know where it could go, it depends on which alt civ project.

i though possibly not using it with porduction but with sectors of work being set jobs or something

it wouldnt really work in democracy i suppose with a project like yours, but a simpler one it would be easier.
      Just my 2p.
      Which is more than a 2 cents, about one cent more.
      Which shows you learn something every day.
      formerlyanon@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
      X