X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UN Headquarters, MY 2286

To the esteemed University board of Regents and Academician Provost Prokhor
    Zakharov,

Things of late seem so "fluid" it is almost hard, even for me, to keep the alliances separate. I was approached by Lady Skye to sign a peace treaty and we have accepted it. It was with much regret and remorse that we accepted but since we are still at war with the Angels it seemed most prudent. the bases we lost to the west were hard ones to loose but gaining the "core" cities of the Angels in exchange and uniting our island system under one rule is of greater benefit.

It seems that our plan to "draw out" the Angel army has worked. fully half of the Angel reserves were destroyed in the field and we are positioning our forces for another assault. It seems your elite unit has been damaged during the fighting and if you wish you can withdrawal them to a Peacekeeper base for refitting.

I have positive thoughts once again about a new world order coming up from the ashes of the old.

United Nations General Secretary,

His excellency The Planetary Governor,

Pravin Lal

United Nations Peacekeeper Headquarters
    Executive Office of the Planetary Governorship - Alpha Centauri System
    Supreme Planet Command Center - United Nations HEADQUARTERS

*~*~*~*

University Base, MY 2287

Pravin,

We have destroyed two infantry at Data DeCentral for you, and I have to say it was a bit more of a struggle than I would have thought. I can see why you had problems since even our shard singularity barely prevailed against Rose’s probability armor garrisons behind her tachyon field.

An elite probe unit bribed Rose’s forces at Tinker Junction, and for a petty amount of energy too: 380 units! I would have paid several multiples of that just to make that base go away. What was interesting is that Dee didn’t object in the least to the change in management, and her penetrator (which used to be yours, by the way) is still in our base. Several of Dee’s copters have been gifted to the Angels, so don’t be surprised if they show up on your doorstep.

We finished the Self Aware Colony last year, and will finish Manifold Harmonics and Dream Twister this next year. It is interesting that we are already better at psi combat than Dee, and with the Dream Twister we will be much better!

Good luck in your assault. I had a few more drop shard infantry drop in case you need more assistance.

Zak

*~*~*~*

UN Headquarters, MY 2287

Zakharov,

The Angels have unconditionally surrendered to us, the war is over. Our administrators have moved in and have taken over the bureaucracy and our military has established joint control over theirs. We have re-written their constitution so that it better reflects the values of the United Nations. With only three bases left she is little threat to anyone anymore. I would take it as a great personal favor if you could hold your hand from taking her last sea base. We will move in troops soon to establish a joint control so their is no longer the need for your troops to take the base. I would also ask you to try and use whatever influence you have to ask any allies you have to halt their attacks, their vendetta, on the Angels.

With the war at an end we can now turn our thoughts to rebuilding and expanding again. I have to ask what will be intentions of the University and the new bases you acquired from the Angels. The southern bases our of interest to us and we would like to know if you would be willing to sell them to us. What is your governments intentions?

I hope now that with Roze under control we can now move forward but I still worry about the drones and Gaians. However, we have completed our first orbital defense pod with several more nearing completion so the threat of a planet buster attack has been reduced greatly.

Pravin Lal

*~*~*~*

University Base, MY 2288

Pravin,

I’m glad you have taken Rose partially to heel. I have ordered my troops to withhold their next attack for one year pending your diplomatic efforts to effect a peace between Rose and the University. It seems Rose wants nothing to do with me and refuses all communication. It is a trivial thing now to take her bases, and it wouldn’t be too much a flight of the imagination to imagine her in chains. I hope your diplomatic efforts are successful. Your clout with her should be much greater now than in the past, correct?

The bases we have taken from Rose are something of a problem. Their infrastructure is rather poor, and it will be a while before even the most basic recreation commons are in place. After that I was thinking of gifting them to Aki, my loyal ally for all these years. Your are on good terms with her now so I suspect that you will be happy to have a new and friendly neighbor. But there is this problem with Rose since I think that they are still at war. Perhaps you might ‘suggest’ that Rose offer Aki a truce. I am sure she would accept.

We completed the Singularity Inductor this year, and that foretells massive mineral wealth for all University cities. It remains to be seen what happens after that.

Zak

*~*~*~*

UN Headquarters, MY 2288

Zakharov,

All of my efforts to "end" the vendetta's against Roze have failed. It seems it has become a matter or principal for many of them since they have accepted large amounts of energy credits or technology to pursue the war against her. This is not good in any form. Some of my advisors, including my son, wish for us to "end" the misery. Our shadow ministers have informed me that the Angels are in a terrible state, almost beyond hope. If it were not for our generous assistance they would be nothing. We had to purchase a base from Roze so that her government could afford to pay us the reparations they owe us. It would be a simple thing to get it done, but, there would be more bloodshed. It all hinges on your efforts. If you can sway any of the combatants to end their feuds with Roze then I will stay my hand, otherwise, our forces will move in to end the misery.

Pravin Lal

*~*~*~*

University Base, MY 2289

Pravin,

I have ended the vendetta between Rose and the University. You see, Rose is now in a special holding cell here at University Base. Her forces were unable to withstand our drop troops and, ironically, a sea probe that ‘convinced’ her sea base to switch sides. It was a wise move on their part. The Angel problem is resolved – they have been eradicated, as they should have been long ago. I imagine that Rose and I will have many opportunities to discuss her past failures, and I will enjoy that immensely.

I do have some grave news. It seems the Singularity Converter that the University completed last year has had some unforeseen consequences. This Project has the effect of a quantum converter in every University base, and this is fine for bases whose resources are supplied from forests. However, many of our younger bases get their bountiful resources provided by fungus. We also completed the Manifold Harmonics project, which boosts resources in fungus. What my modelers did not take into account was these young bases with their excessive mineral production. After they applied the quantum converter some mineral production rates shot up to well over 90, generating a horrifying amount of ecological damage. There were fungal blooms all over the Jungle and other fungus-rich base locations, and mindworms just boiled out. Most were mindworms were dispatched (quite handily, I might add, due to our 50% planet rating and the Dream Twister), but the damage has been done. Now that these new data are available it seems that Chiron is going to undergo a bout of global warming, which will raise sea level by 333 meters within 20 years.

As a result, I have called a Council to launch a solar shade. Since this is my doing I will volunteer the resources to launch this shade, and I will pay any faction whose bases are threatened so they can build pressure domes. Note that I will pay this even if the shade is launched, just in case.

This nasty event just proves that humans, no matter how advanced they think they are, are fallible.

Mae culpa,
    Zak

*~*~*~*

UN Headquarters, MY 2289

Zakharov,

I have to protest your liberation of the two remaining Angel bases in the strongest way! It was with some reluctance that we have accepted the reality that you have taken the western Angel bases but we can not see in anyway how we can stand for University bases on our mainland! We wish to open a dialogue immediately as to the means by which your forces will transfer control of these bases to Peacekeeper control. We do not wish to threaten you in any hostile fashion but your control of these bases is Unacceptable to us. Since you have Roze in custody and have returned her to your capital I can only assume that this was the sole reason for your efforts to take these bases. You have completed that mission and it is time to leave! I can not stress this enough that if we are to improve our relationship and build on what we have started that you must respect our position!

Please communicate as quickly as possible your intentions.

Pravin Lal

*~*~*~*

University Base, MY 2290

Pravin,

Now calm yourself. The situation is resolved: I have ceded the base to Aki. This will be the first of many gifts the University will give to our loyal ally. You will notice that a few University bases have sprouted in far off corners of Chiron. These are the first of a plethora of rover drop colony pods we are seeding across the globe. The purpose of these is to link artifacts and, after that, I have no further use for them. Aki might, though. University troops will pull out when Aki gets a decent defense up, and if not we will gift her a decent defense. I trust this resolves the situation.

I am glad you voted to approve the solar shade, which will hopefully stop a nasty bout of global warming. Further modeling has shown that although University pollution pushed Chiron over the edge there were others who have and still do have considerable ecological disruption, the most notable of these is the miscreant Rose. Aki and Domai also have issues with ecological pollution. I haven’t checked Dee, but she might too. I assure you that the University will no longer let this issue slide. As our bases grow they slip into ecological peril, and this last year there was another fungal bloom – which only makes our situation worse since fungus gives us more resources than a hybrid forest! Our massive Centauri Preserve and Temple of Chiron building programs does not seem to have helped, yet at least. Such troubles…

You will also note that I have gifted you 320 energy to pay for pressure domes in your four bases that might be submerged if the sea level rises 333 meters. If I have miscounted let me know.

Zak

*~*~*~*

UN Headquarters, MY 2290

Zakharov,

Secret Hollow is ours. I was able to conduct some very rewarding talks and the end result was that Aki was more then willing to be rid of the place in exchange for a few technologies, a bargain for us. Her brief rule did more harm than good and the end result was that we will have to work even harder to get the citizens to understand and forget their old ways. It seems that though the Angels love technology they had no wish to have parts of their bodies installed with it! So all is well that ends well.

It is amazing to realize that even Lady Skye is running some very "dirty" industrial applications that are having some negative impacts on Planet. She would not work with my people to reduce their emissions of pollution so I suspect they will feel the wrath of planet soon.

One last note. Your troops will be allowed to stay for a brief time only but they must return to their own base within two turns! If we can aid your return in anyway please contact us and inform us of your requirements.

Pravin Lal

*~*~*~*

University Base, MY 2291

Pravin,

It seems Aki values technology more than a gifted base. Well, I can understand that. Your deal seems to satisfy both parties, so more power to you both. Our troops have just jumped to former Angel territory except for the squads in the bunker to the east. There is a transport on its way, and it should arrive in two years – meeting your deadline. Kindly let me know if that is acceptable.

I am pleased to inform you that our ecologically observant building program is paying off. Our larger bases can now produce up to 84 minerals before ecological damage sets in, and that is a good thing since it is very hard to keep some of these bases under this number. More Centauri Preserves and Temples of Planet will be built to increase this level even more, if possible.

The Regents have just authorized the allocation of 90% of our energy to research, which now is over 15000 per year. This prestigious number will only increase as time passes, and already we are pushing well into the realm of Transcendent Thought. Such breakthroughs turn one’s mind to larger things.

Zak

*~*~*~*

UN Headquarters, MY 2291

Zakharov,

We have nearly completed our first layer of defensive satellites in orbit. We plan on adding another two layers to make sure nothing gets through the first screen. It seems their is little beyond that to report this turn so I will be brief. Peace seems to be in full bloom now and with the exception of the Drones we all seem to be at last living in harmony with each other. This is good news for me and for us all.

My generals keep warning me that we should begin a rapid expansion of forces during this "lull" and improve our defenses but with so many new projects that we can build to improve our peoples lives it seems like a waste of time, talent and energy. Perhaps a more modest expansion is in order.

Your troops are free to wait until their transport arrives, as long as it does not take too long. The area that they are in has become very dangerous due to rampant outbreaks of rogue worms. Perhaps your troops should retire to our base for safety. They are welcome.

Pravin Lal

*~*~*~*

University Base, MY 2292

Pravin,

Thank you for your offer, but the transport will be arriving next year.

You are right about the peace we seem to be having. Isn’t it nice? And all because Rose isn’t here to stir up trouble anymore. I’ll be sure to mention that to Rose in one of my future lessons in her re-education.

It is a good thing you are on good terms with Domai. Did you notice his planetbuster is almost done? It seems odd, but I am still concerned about that. ‘What If’ situations keep occurring to me, such as What If the Defense Satellites are Knocked Out? Then we all would be vulnerable. I think I’ll build a ground defense at University Base, just in case.

Zak

*~*~*~*

UN Headquarters, MY 2292

Zakharov,

I think I might have mis-spoke during my last conversation or perhaps and aide-de-camp misguided you in your beliefs but we do not have "normal" relations with the Drones. In fact, quite the contrary, we are still in a state of vendetta against them or should I correctly say they are in a state against us. To be blunt, there is little that we can do about it at this time. The General Assembly will not authorize the military funding needed to pursue an active campaign against them. For that I must be thankful. We will continue to invest in our space shield and hope that time will heal all wounds with Foreman Domai.

Besides, our emphasis now is on building our cities greater than anyone thought possible. I have authorized the construction of the mag-tube system that you have been building for some time. It should prove to be a boon for our people. Until such time as we are directly threatened again we will not build up major forces. However, I did get the General Assembly to begin a complete upgrade on all base defenders and garrisons beginning next turn. Each turn, one base will have ALL of its equipment upgraded so that it could meet any challenge.

Pravin Lal

*~*~*~*

University Base, MY2293

Pravin,

The Regents have authorized a grand experiment – final proof that Chiron is a sentient creature. We have allocated the resources to contact this elusive entity and tell it of our existence, explaining ourselves to it and hopefully creating a meaningful link to show communication is possible. I invite all of you to participate in this event, and am forwarding to you the datastream coordinates to pour your collective datalinks through this link. I feel this will allow us to understand this entity more fully, and perhaps learn more of ourselves in the process.

Will this be a risk? Yes, it will. However, it is clear it is a greater risk not to undertake this link. Chiron is growing more and more restless, and the worm outbreaks are increasing. Dee, Morgan and Aki have already agreed to participate, and Domai has said he will bring the subject up with his Union Stewards.

Let me know what your answer is. The link will be initiated in three weeks.

Zak

Comment

UN Headquarters, MY 2293

Zakharov,

A wondrous thing has occurred! Many of our citizens have taken what I believe, as do our scientists, the next step in our evolution. Almost overnight those people in our society that had received the best genetic code we could write suddenly transformed themselves into some sort of "trascendi". It is hard to explain and I think from the reports I am getting this has also happened to you, correct? We need to pool our information as quickly as possible and unravel the possibilities this presents to us all.

Pravin Lal

*~!*~*~*

University Base, MY 2294

Pravin,

The uplink with the infant supermind of Chiron is complete with the Voice of Planet. It now possesses the combined knowledge of humankind and it has grown to the point that it can actively communicate with humans. Your new transcendii are likely to begin catching snippets or even participating in discussions with this entity, as University transcendii have been doing for decades.

I had feared that there would be unintended consequences, such as fungal outbreaks and roving mindworms boils or locusts. Luckily there haven’t been even one report of mindworms, although there have been some eruptions of fungus. I have taken this as a good sign that the communication links are growing stronger.

This success has emboldened us to propose and enact a new, grand experiment – the merging of humans with this new and growing entity. University Base has already completed this Project through the application of stored resources and energy, all it awaits if for me to throw the switch. Before I do I would like to invite you and all other humans to join me in this grand adventure. It promises to offer a form of immortality, and perhaps a further step in our evolution – your transcendii have already shown us the way. This next step is just a bit further up the ladder.

I urge you to join me, Pravin. We can finally be united in a common goal. Dee has readily agreed, as have Morgan and Aki. Domai is still conferring with his Stewards. Even Rose, minus some parts of her soon-to-be edited personality, will be invited to come with us. Together we can fulfill the dream of Unity, uniting humanity at last.

Zak

END OF HUMAN HISTORY ON CHIRON

Comment

Working...
      X