• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. President
    replied
    Interlude

Somewhere in OrionComNet

[TheFreeDrone] What can you tell me about Mars?

[Exile] I don't know.

[Exile] I haven't been to Mars for a long time.

[Exile] You konw the government used to kick out people they don't like

[Exile] Damn communists

[TheFreeDrone] Yes.

[TheFreeDrone] Nothing at all? Are you sure?

[Exile] Sorry

[TheFreeDrone] What's the major immigration station?

[Exile] Used to be Deimos I guess

[TheFreeDrone] What's the security like there?

[Exile] There's lots

[Exile] There's marines with rail guns all over the place

[Exile] Why?

[Exile] You planning to blow the place up?

[TheFreeDrone] No, just wondering.

[TheFreeDrone] I'm a police officer so it's interesting to hear about these things

[TheFreeDrone] Can you send me a map of Mariner Valley?

[Exile] Why?

[TheFreeDrone] I'm gonna take my next vacation there

[Exile] No-one goes to Mariner Valley

[Exile] People like the Pink Sea resorts

[Exile] But there's nothing in the Mariner Valley

[TheFreeDrone] Do you have a map that shows where the embassies and everything are?

[Exile]What's with all the questions, man?

[TheFreeDrone] Nothing

[TheFreeDrone] Nothing's with the questions

[Exile] what are you a narc?

TheFreeDrone has logged off

[Exile] ...

[Exile] hmm

Leave a comment:

• Sovereign
    replied
    The prestige and value of Sol rose sharply after the 24th century, as the people of Sol rebuilt after the devastating wars of the 21st and 22nd centuries. By the 27th century, Sol was well on its way to becoming a super-power rivalling the Chironian factions. Sol had a very strong economy, rivaling even Morgan Insterstellar, in addition to a population of billions, rivaling the Hive and the University Alliance's populations.

Sol was the crown jewel of the Human Sector, and was an irresistible prize. The Believers thought they could conquer Sol to bolster their slow economy, but it backfired. The Believers didn't count on the University Alliance's extensive spying network, which warned the University of the threat to Sol.

Hence, the University sent armadas to check the Believers advance on Sol. The University failed, since the Believers arrived at Sol before the University. However, the naval battles at Mars and Earth, as well as the ground fighting in the Americas, Europe, China, and southern areas of Africa finally gave the University the ground to completely stall the Believers offensive.

After several months of fighting, the stalemate was finally broken when a force led by a rising hero, Captain Sean Donnell, managed to destroy several Believers supply depots near Libya, causing morale loss and general retreat of Believing forces to Italy and the Arabia area.

In a despersate move, the Believers launched a daring raid aganist the University's naval forces. The Believer fleet at Luna surprised the University fleet holding position over the Americas and China. In the ensuing battle, the UAS Solaris was seriously damaged as a dozen Believer Heavy Cruisers made kamikaze runs at it.

Another stalemate ensued. A month passed before both sides decided to settle down for peace talks, after realizing the toll the war was taking on both sides, as well as Terra itself.

During the peace talks, Devlin Yezprach shocked the Believers by offering two unexpected relics.

The Holy Grail and the Ark of the Convent.

Apparently, when the University took over the Area 51 complex, Sean Donnell discovered hundreds of relics, technological treasures, a couple of functioning Stargates, some engimatic Fraal glyphs and tomes, and dozens upon dozens of other treasures.

The Holy Grail was discovered in 1962, in a highly secret and classified expedition to the Crescent Moon Gorge. The expedition followed the journal of Indiana Jones the renowned archaelogist. Both the journal and the Holy Grail were sequestered away in Area 51. The Ark of the Convent was sequestered as well, but at an earlier date, moved from a secret warehouse where the Ark was originally stored upon its retrieval by Indiana Jones in the 1930's.

After the peace talks were concluded, with the Believers giving up claim to the Sol system, for their holiest relics, the Holy Grail and the Ark of the Convent, the University set about the rebuilding of the Sol system.

Boston became the new capital of Terra, with Los Angeles replacing New York City as Terra's new financial center.

The victory in the Sol system paved the way for the UA's first warfare based expansion.

Chapter 18, "Lex Univeralis", third edition, circa 3400 A.D.

Leave a comment:

• Lonestar
    replied
    Nuevo San Antonio

The crowd had traveled in and out of the Old Capitol for the past week. Tens of Thousands of citizens had come to view the Body of Lord Protector Ian McDiarmid. Now hundreds of Thousands lined Sam Houston Ave, the broad street that led to the Endeavor National Cemetary, where the original Colonists were interned. Hank Pym sighed. Christ, he was a dinosaur. And now he ran the Protectorate.

A riderless horse led the parade, followed by 8 Ross Volunteers who were pallbearers for the coffin. The Protectorate Band played Amazing Grace as they marched the slow march. Then Hank and other Foreign dignitaries. Only the Dosi, Drones, and Morgan Intersteller sned Heads of State. The Peacekeepers had sent their Foreign Minister, a dour man named Grewal. At the end of the first rank were the Deputy Foreign Ministers of the Believers and the UA, trying to be civil to each other. Emperor Yan had declined to send a representitve in a messgae of barely contained glee.

"Hey! UA! Believers!" Christ, a Heckler? At The Funeral procession? He resolved to ignore it, but then Emperor Harresh let out a reptillian hiss and his protective shield went up. Hank turned his head. The Heckler was wearing an overcoat (not uncommon in the dreary weather of Beta Hydri 4)...and charging the Believer and UA reps.

"Free Terra!!" The man screamed. He opened his Overcoat, revealing a belt of what Hank recognized (after some fuzzy memories) as C-4. Police Officers began running out to stop him. Pim yelled "look out!" and pushed President Adams over. The man exploded.

Leave a comment:

• Lonestar
    replied
    Ian McDiarmid was the Leader of the Protectorate for hundreds of years, he was the Protectorate, in fact if not name. His guiding hand propelled this isolated branch of Homo Sapiens Sapiens to a power in the Orion on. His Alliances and programs created a robust culture and economy, dispite the isolation from the general human galactic economies. Billions lived and died under his rule. He was looked upon with respect bordering on leader-worship, and justifiably so. To this day rumors persist that he was something more than Human.

But nothing good lasts forever
    “The Rise of the the Tyrant” by Grand Historian L’Neer, circa 3362

Gyongos, Sluis Van

Staff Sergeant Channels walked into the "E" club and sat down at the bar with all the other groundhogs. Over in the corner some CapTroopers, the men who dropped from the sky in power armor, were being loud and obnoxious, as usual.

His counterpart from "Garm" Platoon walked over and sat down next to him.

"Christ Ben, I thought this ****ing storm would never end." To most Hydrins that would have meant rain or snow. Here, it was dust. Lots and lots of dust.

Channels nodded at Pound. Both men were from the same small town on the Redwood Pennisula on New Oceana. " Been pretty quiet lately...." In fact, it had been downright cryptlike. The Bree had a reputation for fierce fighters during a straight up fight, but there had been almost no gueriella attacks. The Great resistance never came. In the "Shamed ones" quarter of major cities, Protectorate Marines and Captroopers were met with cheering crowds. Channels couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was going to happen...

A Woman in a back room screamed. Damn near everyone in the bar jumped to their feet, thinking the worst. Channels, Pound, and the CapTroopers were the first in. They were surprised to see the woman by herself, watching the vidscreen with tears running down her cheeks.

"What is it?"

"The Lord Protector...he His dead! his Excellancy is dead!"

Channels looked up at the wellrespected newscaster who was visibly having difficultly holding back tears. He could feel an unpleasent sensation welling up inside of him.

He hadn't cried since he was in Kindergarden. He did now.
    ===========================

To: University Alliance, Dosi Federation, Greater Hive Empire, Morgan Intersteller, Drone Republic, UN Mission to Chiron, Spartan Federation, Believers, et al.

Subject: Memorial Service

Sirs and Ladies, it is with great regret I must pass on the Lord Protector Ian McDiarmid passed on last night after a nearly 600 year rule. He had been ill for some time after the assasaination attempt, and left a request that any memorial service be attended by the Chiefs of State and/or a representative of the Major Human powers and our clutch-brothers the Dosi. The Service will be held in 6 days. Given the brevity of the invitation, and the isolation of Beta Hydri, it will be understood that no offense was meant if any are unable to attend.

His Excellancy left the following words. " Whatever our Ideological differences we may have had, we are all children of the Universe. From Beta Hydri to Barraka to Earth, we're a community of nations and societies who were endowered by our Creator with the Duty to make things right. Humanity and our clutch-brothers should continue to forge forward towards our common goal of peace."

A response is expected as soon as possible. The Appointment ceremony of Dr. Henry Pym to the Post of Lord Protector will occur two days after the Memorial service and it is his express wish that you remain in attendance. Again, no offense will be taken if you are unable to attend.

Very Respectfully,
    O. H. Grant
    Foreign Ministry, Nuevo San Antonio

=============
    Somewhere else

Ian woke up, lying in tall grass. He stood, and brushed the dirt and plantlife off of him. He was suddenly struck by where he was, It was the Hill Country of Texas, where he had grown up. He heard a *clomp, clomp* that he'd belatedly identified as a horse. Turning, he saw Tony Stark riding up.

"Took you long enough, Ian. Jennifer's been waiting damn near forever."

"Is this....? I don't deserve this. I was a bad man. I don't derserve forgiveness."

Tony grinned. "I think that's really for
    He to decide, isn't it? C'mon."

Ian turned, and could see the pecan Orchard that had surround his house. Jen was running out to him. He was home.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. President
    replied
    Jewel in the Sky

Near Berrik, University Alliance

It hung like a jewel in space, a bright blue dot in a universe of unending darkness. And that was just the Immigration post. Derek Sorensen and Gary had a good view of it from the front waiting room of the Freyalise. She was an older ship, which had clearly been refitted several times: silvery modern attachments and wires jostled for space with older ones, barely able to be connected together. Plas-tape had been applied liberally. Clearly funds were short at the Temple Research Project.

The Drone scientists sat in silence, intimidated, perhaps, by the omnipresent University security. Having insisted that the four passengers move into the front waiting room while the ship made the final approach to the station, they then moved through the room systematically and searched every single one of them, all the while asking questions in a clipped accent.

Gary's wireless modem had picked up the unmistakable signals of an AI, and his suspicion was confirmed when he saw one of the guards conversing with a panel in the rear wall. Thinkers blended man and machine, but Gary had never before encountered a University AI; he had read about the fractal programs that grew, like a human mind, beyond their physical boundaries, and had on occasion developed the ability to imagine, to dream. He looked forward to learning more - time permitting.

The immigration procedure was surprisingly easy. The space tunnel locked on, the doors opened, the passengers walked through, answered "Yes" when a heavily-accented man asked them to confirm that they had a scientific visa, passports were scanned, details encrypted, and they didn't even notice the guards with the rail guns until they were heading towards the station's interior.

"Isn't that your name?" said Gary.

"Mr. Sorensen?" said a man in a grey suit. "I'm from the Berrik Scientific Co-Ordination Committee. Follow me, please . . ."
    Last edited by Mr. President; September 16, 2003, 19:53.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. President
    replied
    Majulah Singapura

Jalan Besar, Singapore
    South-East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere

It was almost time for the Consul to leave Singapore, the city-state caressed by both the Pacific and the Indian Oceans. He felt like he was dreaming. His tenure there had outlasted the Ambassador's in Geneva; the mayor had given him the key to the city.

Not that anybody in Singapore was using many keys right now. The Earth government, or what was left of it, had given up calling for calm in the face of the double invasion. It was, especially in the areas far from the central bureaucracy, every man for himself. Singapore's once-impressive skyline was battered and bruised. Several towers had toppled outright, causing thousands of deaths, and most that had not were burning, stricken by arson.

The streets were calm now. The Consul suspected it was merely a grace period between riots. All the electronics and food items had already been looted. Clothes might be next, or perhaps cookware. He strolled at a leisurely pace incongruous with the destruction around him. A broken water main gushed insistently. Broken glass crunched under his feet. He looked to one side, and saw an "Islamic Republic of Johor" poster. A corner had been torn away, and with it most of the photograph of an angry young man in an embroidered hat. Without guns, the Islamic Republic of Johor would soon be destroyed by whatever government arose.

The Consul stopped outside the consulate compound. It stood tall, like the rock of Gibraltar with the angry seas raging around it. The cars that had been parked outside last night were gone with their owners. The Consul had offered to evacuate Firaxian expatriates, and to obtain visas for as many Singaporeans as he could. Some had agreed, but many had refused.

Space Marines hustled the Consul and his luggage onto a lifter waiting in the consulate's yard. Singapore, the people told him last night, has survived race riots, respiratory plagues, and the nuclear twilight of the 21st century. It will survive this, they asserted.

The Consul hoped they were right. Just as his ancestors of old escaped the persecution of the Middle Kingdom for the British Straits Settlements and the growing Lion City, and then the ruined Pacific Rim for the World of Trees, he was again fleeing, fleeing his second home, a journey of no return. Below him Singapore smouldered; the lifter flew over the Causeway and over the State of Johor. Flashes far below him showed where artillery shots were still being exchanged between Malaysian soldiers and Jemaah Islamiah militiamen. They were no danger to his aircraft, which had been granted flyover rights by the local military.

One hour ahead lay Kuala Lumpur, the centuries-old economic hub of South-East Asia, and a dropship waiting to carry Firaxian diplomats and citizens across the void, to a world where the sun was soft and orange and the breeze did not smell of smoke.

The Consul looked down at the rainforest passing rapidly by.

"I shall return," he whispered.
    Last edited by Mr. President; June 19, 2003, 04:02.

Leave a comment:

• Lonestar
    replied
    Nuevo San Antonio

"Ian, you look like Hell."

Lord Protector Ian McDiarmid gave a wan smile and continued to stare out onto the Palace grounds. He moved a little, like an old man. He'd moved like an old man since the attack and "recovery".

Everyone in the Upper Tier of government knew it was a sham. Ian was dying, and the doctors, amazingly, couldn't fix it. He was the only one excepting the impending death gracefully.

Ian spoke in a raspy old man voice.

"How's the family?"

Hank was not surprised by the question, Ian had grown prone to going on about affairs not of state.

"Fine...The Grandkids are fine..."

"Jessica and I never had kids..." Ian said wistfully, although Hank knew it full well. "Maybe if Tarwater hadn't, well..." he loooked down at the snow.

"I've been a bad person, haven't I? I don't know how God can forgive me... "

"That's his buisness Ian. You've built a strong Nation for Humanity."

"Yes...yes that always was my goal. Even if we don't end the Bree war favorably my job is done."

Hank felt as if he'd been punched in the gut. What was he talking about?

Ian gave another thin smile. "The war will certainly give us the experience for the next big thing..."

"What next big thing?"

"I saw it 600 years ago..." Ian cackled. Then started coughing. He fell down on the ground. Hank ran forward. "Ian! Oh, sh*t! Guards! Get a doctor!"

Leave a comment:

• Lonestar
    replied
    The UA counter-invasion was over, and much of Earth was in utter chaos. conflict would rage between the local Guard units, University forces, and Believer remnants for years to come.

It was under this backdrop that Protectorate intrigues were exposed, and the enigmatic "Mr. Stone" would prove his worth once again.

-Arnold Zule, Tears of The Earth, 2823

=============

Stone hiked over the rise and stopped. He could now see the dry lakebed below in the Southwestern Desert. He felt the warm breeze on his face.

It had been hundreds of years ago that Texas, of all states, formed a fragile confederacy in the Southwest as the United States Disintigrated. Dring that time, Stone had only been here once, leading the Lonestar Republic's Special Forces in a raid against the base, still held by the Federalists. What they had discovered had shocked them. Bizarre artifacts from a thousand worlds that matched the large Ring Structure discovered under NORAD at Cheyenne mountain. Stone never found out what had happened to the base or the artifiacts after he left on the Endeavor, and had assumed they'd been lost ing the mists of time.

But now he could see the University Gunships flying overhead and the Mechas walking bye. It seemed that the UA had a similiar infantry AI program, like the Protectorate's. His eyes tracked and recorded everything.

His eyes...a marvel of engineering. Before he left Home for Earth he had had massive surgery. Although his body was now filled with the most advanced electronics imaginable, they wouldn't show up on any scan. The Nanites in his body allowed him to think quicker, see farther, and memorized easier, all while resembling cells.

A large UA transport landed. After awhile, a ramp extended and what looked to be a General officer and several scientists exited the ship. Stone nodded. He'd seen enough, he should return to his camp and transmit.

He turned and began trudging back. The was a roar, and a utility hopper flew in front of him. Several UA Marines hopped out and aimed their blasters at him.

"Freeze! Identify yourself!" one barked.

Stone sighed and raised his hands over his head. Damn it.

Leave a comment:

• Lonestar
    replied
    Intermission

Leave a comment:

• Lonestar
    replied
    The fall of Terra, first to the Believers and then to the University signeled and exodus of refugees to other systems. EC warships packed with civilians arrived at Chiron, Roving, and Morgan Intersteller. Naturally, each collection of EC forces claimed to be the "True Free Earth" government.
    History of Terra by Grand Historian L’Neer, circa 3358.

-----------------

Roving

Admiral Soontir Fel looked up as Fleet Captain Sven Christensen of the local EC forces walked in.

"Ah, Captain, please sit. You wanted to speak to me...?"

The dark burly man with the unlikely name scowled. He was the defacto commander of the EC forces and refugees at Roving, and most civil authorities groaned and ran when he appeared. He was singularly unfriendly, with a haughtiness that came from the Homeworld of Humanity.

"Thank you Admiral. I will come straight to the point. As commander of the Free Earth Forces, I demand to know why the Protectorate is not doing anything to liberate Earth."

Christensen crossed his arms. Fel resisted the urge to roll his eyes. He had better things to do than to listen to the whines of a Terren Fleet captain who took his force and ran instead of standing and fighting.

" First off, I'm not entirely sure you would qualify as leader of "Free Earth", the collection at Chiron is 3 times larger and has chunks of the EC government with it. Second, in case you haven't noticed, what with living in the barracks we so kindly gave you and your refugees, that there is something of a war going on. Even in Peacetime we wouldn't be ready to fight a foe like the UA without knowing the extent of their alliances."

"Yes, about your barracks..." Christensen leaned forward. "Why did you choose to place us at a base with That name?"

Fel was bewildered.

"The Presidio de las Cruces?"

"Yes! Do you know what those words mean?"

Fel shrugged "The Fort of the Crosses?"

"Yes! How dare you insult us like this!"

"What the Hell are you talking about Christensen?"

Christensen's scowl became darker. He seemed to be geninuely angry. "Is we had known your people had a similiar faith along the lines of the Believers, and chose to throw it in our faces, we would have never came here."

Comprehension dawned. "You're serious? You think we'll turn you over to the Believers or something because we're a fairly religious soceity?'

"You allow Religion and state to co-mingle. Why, I've even heard your Leadership invoke, " Christensen spat it out "God in their speaches!"

Fel blinked.

"You do know that our War Minister is Hindu, right?"

Christensen stood up.

"Admiral, I merely came to visit to see what you would about the situation. Since it is obvious that you will not so respect to us, I am taking my squadron and the refugees to Chiron. We will be leaving in a week."

Christensen turned to leave. A predatory smile grew on Fel's face.

"Oh, no you won't Captain. I have been authorized to intern your squadron, with or without your cooperation. And since you have decided to be ingracious towards our hospitaliy, I am going to make the recommendation that your warships be used for the war effort. I expect in a week you'll be in the camp on the surface, while the Madrid is helping secure Sluis Van. Good day."

Christensen grew purplefaced.

"You can't do this! We have rights! We..."

"Are no longer part of a functioning government, so you don't have any 'rights'. You're lusky we didn't slaughter you for presuming to enter our territory without our permission. Good day, Captain."

"You..."

Fel sighed.

"Security, escort Mr. Christensen to the Brig."

Two Master-at-Arms walked into the office and dragged Christensen away, who was screaming epithets at Fel. Fell shook his head.

"You Terrens just got too comfortable, Christensen. You need to learn, most other Human nations couldn't care less about your status as the Homeworld, least of all the Protectorate."

Leave a comment:

• Lonestar
    replied

Even as the University tested it's first Singularity drive, the Tyrant's Protectorate was following a parallel course with two dreadnaughts, the
    Harbringer and Thunderer. It was entirely fitting with the times that the Tyrant's first Q-ship was christianed Harbringer. Soon, The ground campaign on Sluis Van would be over, and the meat grinder of Sab Abar would begin.

The Rise of the the Tyrant” by Grand Historian L’Neer, circa 3362.

---------------------

Harbringer, RE123

The RE123 system was a brown dwarf that was considered the 'little sister' to Beta Hydri. Far enough away that the sudden creation of, say, a black hole wouldn't cause (too much) damage, but close enough to far within the vast defenses of the Beta Hydri system.

Admiral Ealstan, the Chief of Naval Operations stood on the bridge of massive dreadnaught with a revolutionary propulsion system. The design was 6 years in the making, with aid from the Dosi and recovered alien spacecraft the Rangers had found.

Ambassador Atvar of the Dosi skittered up to Ealstan.

" I hope the, hmm, propulsion unit meets your satisfaction Admiral."

Ealstan grinned. He felt like a wet-behind the ears midshipman again!

"We certainly couldn't have done it without your help, Superior Sir. If you'd mind sitting down, Protectorate Interial dampners have never been tested to these stress levels." Atvar sat down at a chair designed for his reptiliod phisology. Ealstan sat down next the the Captain, Balton.

"Well, lets see what she can do, Captain!"

Balton nodded, he was a singular humorless man. He turned to the ship's Command Master Chief and said; " Everything ready Master Chief?"

The Salty spacedog grinned. "You bet skipper!"

Balton nodded again.

"Helm, energize Q-drive, set course for the coordinates set in the computer.....enage."

Realspace disappeared, and a whirling tunnel appeared on the view screen. The ship was shuddering slightly.

"Better stability than on our own ships, I think." Atvar mused, then swung an eye turret towards Ealstan. "I think the Emperor's engineer's would like to look at your interial dampening design."

Ealstan kept grinning.

" I'm sure that can be arranged."

"Entering realspace in three...two...one.." A star field appeared on the screen, with a rapidly approaching (although slowing down) Green Goliath Battleship visible.

"Matewan hailing Harbringer," Came the voice of Captain Parada. "Looks like you didn't even scratch the paint. Recording the time as 4 minutes, 12 seconds, a distance of .25 light ye.."

The bridge errupted in a roar. 15 ly in 4 minutes! And they didn't even bring it up to full power! Of course, the Harbringer would return to New Europa under it's Matter/anti-matter drive so as to conduct stress tests, but...

They had done it! The Harbringer would have to return to Beta Hydri under it's Matter/anti-matter drive so it can be stressed-tested, but they had done it!

"Captain, we're getting a transmission from Nuevo San Antonio..."

Admiral Ealstan took the call. "Probaly Dr. Pym asking how his baby is doing." He flicked to switch to visual. The bridge let out a collective gasp.

A Tried but healthy looking man in his fifities appeared. "My friends, let me be the first to congradulate you on this historic accomplishment..." Lord Protector Ian McDiarmid began...
    Last edited by Lonestar; May 14, 2003, 19:06.

Leave a comment:

• Sovereign
    replied
    The victory at Earth would have been much more bloody than it originally was if not for two crucial factors.

If the Believers hadn’t made an crucial mistake, setting up a trap for several University Alliance ships, the University would have had a much harder time digging out a niche above North America for the troop transports to land on Earth.

Also, it can be argued that if Grand Admiral Devlin Yezprach weren’t the commanding officer of the whole University Alliance offensive in Sol, then the University would have lost at Mars.

It has always been said by the Academician that Devlin Yezprach had an unsettling calmness around him, which enabled him to think and plan five steps ahead of whatever the enemy was currently doing. Foresight and careful logic enables us to defeat odds once thought to be impossible, or at the very least, create valiant heroes.

“Univeralis” by Grand Historian L’Neer, circa 3367.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sol
    UAS Solaris, orbiting Mars

Grand Admiral Devlin Yezprach stood and stared at several tactical displays in the expansive bridge of the largest class of warship in the University Alliance. The UAS Solaris stood at 6 kilometers, making it one of the largest known vessels in Human and possibly Bree and Gorn space. The Fraal Motherships and the UAS Chronopolis, the Academician's Bastion fortress class ship, are among the few classes of ships larger than the Solaris.

Tactical Officer Diana stabbed several holodisplays with her long and slender fingers and then glanced at Yezprach, making eye contact.

“We are ready to advance on Earth. What are your orders?”

“Dispatch two squadrons to these sensor blips. They may be either Believing ships, or a trap. Either way, have two squadrons from Mars investigate the blips.

The rest of the fleet will advance onto Earth, and establish a safe zone over North America to insert our Mechanoids and Marines.”

As the five hundred ship strong University main fleet approached Earth, two squadrons of 25 ships each proceeded to split off and follow the sensor blips, under total sensor silence.

One hour later, a crippled destroyer approached the main University fleet, and broadcasted what had befallen its 49 other comrades.

Tactical Officer Diana looked up from her displays with concern on her face.

“We are receiving information from the survivor destroyer, the UAS Ferrarite. Its squadron, as well as its sister squadron were eliminated from a Believing trap.”

Admiral Yezprach merely smiled.

“Right on schedule, just as I planned.”

“Pardon me, sir? The loss of 49 ships is on schedule?”

“Diana, look at your tactical displays again. The Believers made a grave error by committing the seven groups to lay a trap for the 49 ships. The trap has essentially cost them Earth. A portion of space next to Earth is vacant of Believing ships. The groups that unleashed the trap were the ones that were guarding this now empty space next to Earth.

Make a course correction, and warp to Earth at the vacant space above the south pole, 10,000 kilometers above Antarctica. We will then proceed to charge up South America, and execute another Alpha Strike, clearing any and all Believing ships remaining above North and South America.

Upon completion of that, we shall land our Mechanoids and marines at these coordinates.”

The Admiral pointed at two regions with names under them on the North American map.

Two names glowed.

Boston and Los Angeles.

Chronopolis
    Mako Reactor 01

A blue crystalline bottle of champagne rolled over and over, until it smashed against a smooth green tinted Neutronium wall.

As the camera panned upwards, a giant number reading zero-one could be seen emblazoned on the wall, which turns out to be a tapering circular structure.

The camera zoomed down then through several corridors inside the structure, then it zoomed back outside. It pans towards a raised platform with several people on it, then the focus zoomed onto Academician Randius Zakharov, then held its position.

The Academician smiled and looked right at the camera, and announced, “I hereby declare this moment a dawn of a new age of energy generation, thanks to our brilliant engineers and scientists.”

I present to you, our first commercial quantum reactor, Mako Reactor 01.”

The Academician pressed a ceremonial button, a small handheld black box with a green button in the middle. Mako Reactor 01 roared to life, with greenish, white, and purplish shards of light flaring and shooting out the top of the circular structure. The structure turns out to be a smokestack of sorts for light particles, instead of traditional smoke.

Mina stood next to the Academician, and described the historical significance of the first Quantum Reactor in mankind’s history.

“For the first time in a millennia, mankind has finally created a reactor that achieves what mankind has dreamed for almost a thousand years. A reactor that is perfectly reliant, has an infinite fuel supply, and is completely environmentally safe. It doesn’t require expensive clean-up, or complicated logistics with material such as burning ores or fuels.

Some may argue that solar and hydroelectric power is harmless and environmentally sound. This is true, however, solar power is unable to meet electric needs in large quantities, while hydroelectric power requires inefficient turbines.

The Mako reactor is the first large scale power generation that has no environmental impact and pollution. The reactor doesn’t need outdated turbines, nor does it require delicate operation or clean-up for dangerous by-products such as nuclear radiation, waste, and volatile anti-matter particles.

The byproduct of the Mako quantum reactors is leftover light particles that are harmless to humans, animals, and the environment.

Besides, Chronopolis could use the pleasant light show at night-time.”

Laughter and applause could be heard as Mina said her last line.

The camera zoomed out, then focused on the erupting light particles at the top of the reactor structure.

After approximately thirty Terran seconds, the camera view dimmed to blackness, and the University Omni News logo appeared, along with the date of 02 / 09 / 2702.

Several hours later

The Academician opened his communication frequency to the Navigator of the Bastion class fortress ship, the Chronopolis.

“Proceed to the coordinates under maximum cloak immediately, as per my orders from yesterday evening, upon my return to the Chronopolis.”

“Yes, sir.”

Half an hour later, the Academician’s private shuttle, carrying the Academician and Mina, arrived in the hangars of the Chronopolis, capable of housing three destroyer-sized ships comfortably.

All the crewmembers and the captain stood up and gave the standard greeting fist salute as the Academician and Mina arrived in the two hundred meter bridge.

Randius spoke directly to the captain and the Navigator.

“Proceed to these coordinates I provided yesterday evening, immediately.”

The Chronopolis shimmered and literally disappeared above the planet Univeralis IV, as the transphasic cloak engaged. The now invisible and phased ship banked in a steep curve, away from the glowing star Univeralis, towards an unknown destination. A quantum conduit opened up, and the ship disappeared inside the group of fluctuating white tendrils.

Sol
    UAS Solaris, orbiting Earth

“Diana, fire.”

Space exploded as the entire University Alliance fleet warped in several thousand kilometers above Antarctica, and raced northwards to the space above the Americas. The fleet opened fire with hundreds of missiles, dozens of Yamato ultra heavy mount fusion cannon shots, and thousands of standard Tachyon pulse particle shots.

The two hundred Believing ships stationed above Earth, watching over their ground invasion like guardian angels, never stood a chance.

Literally dozens of Believing ships were shattered or sheared apart as hundreds of terawatts of energy tore into them, from the energy based weapons and the kinetic impact of the Xaos Multi-Warhead missiles. Most of the destroyed ships kept receiving missile and energy beam hits on their shattered remains, long after the ships ceased to function as battle capable entities.

The remaining hundred were severely damaged, and were torn to pieces at leisure as the enraged University commanders sought delicious revenge for their lost crewmates in the Believing trap.

Only two Believing ships, the Lord’s Wrath and Christ’s Goblet managed to make it back to their main fleet located at the far side of Luna, Earth’s moon.

The Alpha Strike assault was similar to an unstoppable tidal wave, but it had a great cost. The University fleet used up over one fourth of its missiles at Mars, then half of the remaining stock in the Alpha Strike over the Americas at Earth. Several ships had their energy reactors burn out from firing all their weapons at the same time.

A little over a dozen University Alliance warships had to shut down their reactors completely, and switched to auxiliary power for life support. They were sitting ducks if the Believers chose to counterattack at that moment.

Most of the ships in the University Fleet lost power to at least several subsystems, such as enviromental control, artifical gravity generators, nano-food replicators, amongst others. Several dozen other ships had to take their weapons off-line temporarily to maintain energy levels for life support until repairs and bypassing burnt out circuits could be made.

“The space above the Americas is secure, Admiral.”

“Diana, commence orbital bombardment of anti-aircraft and planetary-to-space batteries around Boston and Los Angeles.”

“What about the civilians, sir?”

“Diana, I appreciate your concern, but if we don’t destroy these batteries, our troops won’t be able to land, therefore allowing the Believers to massacre or commit more atrocities on Earth.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”

“Understood, sir. However, I don’t have to agree with it.”

Los Angeles
    Earth

A hundred University Alliance ships took up positions over Los Angeles, and pin-pointed several Believing batteries, and fired dozens of Tachyon flak bursts and several Space-to-Ground Tomahawk missiles.

Most of the city, landmarks, and infrastructure remained intact, due to precision bombarding. However, a Believing battery was located behind the ancient and famed Hollywood Sign hill near Sunset Historical Boulevard. The battery was destroyed, but the impacts shook the Hollywood Historical Preserve, causing the two L’s and the Y in the Hollywood sign to topple. The sign read “Howood”, but fortunately, the three toppled letters weren’t shattered or damaged severely.

The citizens of Los Angeles, Hollywood Historical Preserve, Beverly Hills Arcologies, and people as far as San Francisco and San Diego could see and hear the massive Beaker class troop transports glide from space, into the skies above California.

The Californians were initially confused, angered, and fearful, as they thought the transports were either bringing more Believer troops, or dropping pirates.

However, when they saw the giant University symbol on the sides of the Transports, they began to realize something was up. Every human being in the Human Sector knows that the University and Believers are long standing enemies, on opposite sides of ideology, culture, psychology, morality, sociology, and in short, practically everything except belonging to the same species.

The Beaker Transports disgorged hundreds upon hundreds of Mechanoids, and thousands of either cybernetic-enhanced berserkers, or non-cybernetic University regular Marines.

After ten hours of fierce urban fighting, the Believers were on the run from Los Angeles, due to the morale loss of their protective batteries and heavy weaponry, in addition to the sheer volume of troops being deployed in the city.

General Bill Fox, the commander in chief of the ground forces of the University, invited Terran reporters, as well as several University Omni News correspondents to the Hollywood Hill.

The general spoke as University engineers restored the two fallen L’s and the Y back to an upright position, mending the Hollywood sign.

“Citizens of Earth, this is General Bill Fox, the University’s commander in chief of ground forces. The University Alliance has made it a goal to free the oppressed people of Earth from the fanatical Believers.

Thousands of University men and women have already sacrificed their lives to liberate Earth, so that Earth may once again be free. The University has already liberated Mars, and a provisional government is already in the process of being established on Mars.

The University will ensure that Earth will be liberated, even if the University has to sacrifice another thousand, or even a million soldiers to see that it happens.

Some of you may be thinking ‘He’s talking the talk, but when does he walk the walk?’ I can assure you that the actions over the next few days or weeks will prove the University’s dedication to liberate Earth from similar extremists that almost destroyed Earth six centuries ago.

The University will not fail. I will not fail. We will succeed!”

As the scene played out in Los Angeles, a similar scene was occurring in Boston. The Believers were driven out of Boston after an eight hour struggle, mainly since Boston had considerably less sprawl than Los Angeles.

Several historical landmarks in Boston experienced minor collateral damage, such as Faunheil Hall, the State House, the University of M.I.T, the Prudential High Rise, and the Museum of Science.

However, with the University Alliance’s advanced construction nanotechnology, virtually all the damage would be fixed within the next several days. The landmarks in both cities would show absolutely no sign of being damaged, and in fact become more resistant to damage, corrosion, or vandalism.

Four days later
    General Bill Fox’s camp, at the base of Hollywood Hill

“Sir! You have to take a look at this!”

General Bill Fox regarded the visitor with mixed contempt for interrupting his work, and curiosity at what the private had to say.

“Yes, what is it, Private Sean Donnell?”

“We were surveying the terrain north of Las Vegas, where several Believing detachments were reported to be fleeing, hoping to get through the mountain passes to get through to the other side.

We discovered a large underground bunker system half a kilometer under the desert. It doesn’t look like the Believers constructed it. It would have taken them considerable time and resources to build these bunker structures, and they haven’t been around this long.”

“Interesting. I will investigate with two full division of Mechanoids, a division of Marines, and a battalion of Corps Engineers.”

“Sir, why all that firepower and numbers?”

“Corporal, I have a hunch.”

“I see… Corporal? You’re promoting me?”

“Yes. Keep up the good work.”

The next morning, the desert sands north of Las Vegas tumbled and skittered, as hundreds of treads, hovers, feet, and locomotion devices went over the ground.

Several concentric fences were either trampled or vaporized as several Mechanoids fired their energy and ballistic weapons at the fences. Shortly thereafter, hundreds of marines marched over it, along with several Wraith hover-tanks.

A sign off to the side, unnoticed by the majority of the Mechanoids and marines read two words.

AREA 51
    Last edited by Sovereign; October 30, 2003, 12:32.

Leave a comment:

• Silence
    replied
    Sol System
    Victory at Lab 3
    Admiral of the Fleet, Joyce Harper looked at the tactical plot with a predatory grin. The University had begun their operations send 50 ships in two 25 ships task forces towards her command. Situated between Earth and Mars it was keeping a stationary orbit to stay in its postion. The enemy course would take them right through the ECM field and into the hands of Harper’s 7th fleet.

“Admiral, UA ships have entered the outer edges of the ECM field, we are powering up the buoys, we be at full operation status with in 2 minutes.” said the sensors officer at her station. Harper nodded and said, “Communications, send a order to our HS’s that to be ready to deploy marines once the buoys go up.

With that ordered acknowledge, the flag bridge of her ship once again became quiet aside from the soft hum of the ship’s main drives. Harper took the time to look at the plot again and saw that she was the only one of the 7 groups that had split off from the main fleet that the UA was going to be attacking. Shrugging, she grinned again as the Hunter-Seekers began to move on a intercept course with the UA fleet.

The UA ships had by this time began to drift apart, out of their tight battle formation as their sensors where being spoofed. Already some sporadic fire from their anti-fighter ordinance lit up as they where trying to hit the jamming devices. The Hunter-Seekers entered the field and their icons became wavy as they shut off all but tight beam laser contact with the main fleet. Her more standard ships where forming two walls of battle as they know accelerated behind the Hunter-Seekers. All ready long range missiles where firing at the UA who up till know saw everything better then what the Believers could. The first of this newest battle with the ship Lord is My Light , the enemy cruiser took the destroyer’s missile amidships. The destroyer then fired a long range fusion laser shot which manage to penetrate the area that the missile had damage and ruptured the AM containment of the cruiser.

Aside from the loss of the cruiser and damage to some of the screening elements, the UA came out of the engagement intact, in the counterfire they mauled a escort carrier which had been pulling duty as a picket ship leading the advance task force. Then the Hunter Seekers fired. In the modified missiles there where marines being accelerate as their boarding torpedoes rammed through the hulls of the UA ships. Though unfortunately for a platoon their entire company aside from them had been shot out of the sky as the UA point defenses began to figure what was happening. Within minutes only the ships that had been boarded in the first salvo had any Believing marines on board. The UA didn’t have time to deal with their ships that where falling out of formation due to the infighting on the ships decks, since the 7th fleet had just engage in the battle.

On the bridge of the Victory at Lab 3 Captain Arther Vaudeville was having the time of his life. Leading the wall of ships into the UA fleet the superdreadnought was firing every weapon it had and taking fire that would of reduce lighter ships with relative ease. The bridge was a mass scene of chaos, “Target Beta 3 took a hit from five C-Beam shots, its listing, target Alpha 8 destroyed.”

“Damage control sent to missile 5, repeat damage control teams to missile 5.”

“Its confirm Admiral, Major Dallas has just taken over the bridge of the newly renamed, Victory at Sol and is pulling back the ship. That makes 5 UA ships we captured.”

Lord’s Grace is a code omega, dispatching SAR teams.”

The big ship shuddered as it took another missile hit, tearing of the large cross. Several of the turrets on the ship swivel and fire, several chaos beam shots driving right through the offending cruiser. It was with that the UA began to pull out. The Believers however not forgetting their long standing feud and the humiliation they had caused at Mars wouldn’t have any of that. By the next hour, only one heavily damage, heavily radiated destroyer made it back to UA lines, it had been let go as frigates that had been chasing it had entertained themselves by using low intensity lasers to carve a large cross port side.

Though tactically the battle was a success, the deployment of so much of the fleet to its individual components had left a way open to the surface of the Earth as the generals saw to their dismay as the first of the UA transports that had sneaked in during the fighting showed. The Believer’s Amarada reformed itself and quickly took a Lunar orbit to work on a new offensive.

Leave a comment:

• Frankychan
    replied
    Ultimatum

Hive Prime
    War Room

The obsidian-black doors slid open to reveal Emperor Yang, who strode into the dimly-lit room. The soft glow of the computer monitors illuminated the various faces of Hive technicians.

Warmaster Kang stood at the main viewscreen, arms folded in quiet observation. The Emperor approached his underling without a sound.

"What transipires in my empire, Lord Kang?"

The Bulwarks massive frame turned toward Yang's voice and bowed deeply.

Kang's deep voice replied, "My lord, there was an apparent breach of our border by the Drones. Our ships intercepted and destroyed the vessel, along with its accompanying probes."

Yang's face flashed with anger, but was quickly dissipated.

"Furthermore, your Excellency, two out of the three ships we sent were destroyed. The remaining ship holds Drone survivors...it is headed toward Homeworld as we speak."

Yang turned to think about this most recent news.

Kessel spouting veiled threats and now THIS?

A shout from a farther terminal down the room drew Sheng-ji's attention away from his laments.

"My lord! You must see this, it is urgent!" The technician backed away from his monitor apprehensively.

Yang stalked toward the display and froze....the armored plated face of a Bree filled the viewscreen. Before Yang ould reply, the resonant, bass voice of the Bree spoke.

<" Yang. The Bree will speak with you. Now." >

"Of course. We will speak in the designated area."

<"No. We will meet here." >

Sheng-ji locked his jaw and turned to address the room.

"I want everyone out. Wait in the hall until I tell you otherwise."

As everyone filed out, Yang gazed at the Warmaster as he passed. Kang blinked in response. When the last man left the room, Sheng-ji turned toward the display.

"Everyone is gone. What is it that you want?"

The viewscreen winked out and a holo-projection of the same Bree shimmered in fron to fthe Emperor.

<"Yang."> The Bree's audio-box echoed. <"The Bree have begun our expansion plans. > The Bree's holo stood at perfect attention. <"Protectorate ships have attacked Bree bases. The timetable has been accelerated.">

Sheng-ji stood with his arms crossed as he glared at the Bree.

"The deal was that Hive forces would sow dissent and confusion in the galaxy to pave way for your people's invasion," Yang began. "In return, the Hive would be exempt from Bree incursions and would receive a sizeable portion of the galactic arm."

The holo shifted its stance and pointed at Yang.

<"High command has changed the deal. We are impatient and you are taking too long in your conquests.">

Sheng-ji lowered his arms and clenched his fists in anger.

"I have run into complications. We cannot rush things, Ambassador. My agents have already plunged the Spartan offshoot faction into a civil war, the Morganites and Terran's are weakened by war, and the Hive is cementig an alliance with the University."

Unfazed, the Bree responded.

<"The Bree will cut our relations with you unless you act now. Even you will not be immune to our forces if we ended our relationship.">

The holo image dissipated, leaving Yang standing alone amid the background moise.

Sheng-ji stood there for a long time, performing calming rituals and contemplating his next move. He then reched toward his comlink and connected with Warmaster Kang.

"Get in here."

The room's doors opened and the towering Bulwark entered.

"My lord?"

Yang took a deep breath, "The Hive is going to war."

Leave a comment:

• Lonestar
    replied
    History will determine that today began the ascendance of Humanity. Not the Unity and Endeavor missions. Not the colonization of dozens of worlds. Not even Homo Sapiens Sapiens leaving Africa and begining exploration. No, today, the first occupation of a "Old Race" Core planet, will signal the change of history
    - Dr. Matthew Bucher, Chairman of the XenoArcheology department at the University of Nova Albion, Protectorate
    ------------

Gyongos, Sluis Van

The Mjolnir Main battle tank shook as another Bree Mecha opened fire with a particle impacter on it.

"F--king Mecha scratched my Camo!" Sergeant Channels of the Star Marines growled. He leaned forward and aimed the 140mm railgun at the source of the fire. The Mecha turned and tried to skedaddle. Not fast enough, Fugly Channels thought. It only took one shot, and the Bree piece of mechanical engineering wonder was on the ground.

His had been the first calvery regiment to enter the Sluis Van city of Gyongos, a sprawling city of 20 million souls. So far, they had occupied the "Shamed Ones'" ghetto with relative ease. Once they began entering the other Caste neighborhoods....

His radio cackled. Captain Alveraz came on. He was the company's new CO, and had fought the University before, so he was no stranger to combat.

"Sergeant, I need your platoon to head north two blocks. There's a squad of 'Ghosts' who are pinned in a apartment building by 3 Mecha's and a company of leg Infantry. 2nd Platoon will be coming in from the SW."

"Roger that Sir." Channels said. He flip on the Platoon comm. "Alright Fuglies, head north two blocks, we need to rescue some Teep special forces." The Mjolnir tank roared up the street, turned right, and saw a Mecha and a bunch of Bree infantry firing into a building. Building must have been built outta neutronium Channels though. PPG return fire was coming from it. Every now and then a Plasma Shard buckshot would wreck havoc on the infantry. He could see another Mecha just around the corner. There was a crashed Orca not too far.

Then the most visible Mecha exploded. From the Southwest. Channels thought. Two more Mechas appeared and started firing downrange toward 2nd platoon. His Mjolnir was in "kneeling" rest position behind some rubble, so it looked as if the Mecha couldn't see him.

The last of his tanks drove up. The turret "stood" and fired a shell at a Mecha. Other tanks in his platoon followed suit. Soon, all visible Mecha's were destroyed and the PPG rifles on the exteriors of the tanks were working voertime.

There sure seemed a lot of them....

The Radio cackled again. "1st Platoon! We got a battalion's worth of leg infantry running down here! Hang tight, we got some support on the way in..."

The tank shuddered as more and more Bree blaster fire impacted it. A few ATGMs slammed in. Channels wiped the sweat from his brow.

A White Phospherous rocket, "Willie Pete", came down from the sky as a A-5 Intruder II roared on. Nearly a hundred Bree were wiped out. The thumping of a Thropter came, and a Pegasus Transport landed in the middle of the intersection. The Ghosts who had been in the building ran out towards the Pegasus.

"Damn Teeps are running off while we're fighting! ******..." One of the Ghosts turned towards his tank and flipped him off as he ran into the 'Thropter. It took off.

Channels flushed.

"Damn telepaths."
    -------------

War Ministry

Director Onate, War Minister Kolasklar, and General McCarty were sitting around a Table. Mr. Boggs of the Metasenory Regulation Administration was there also.

Kolasklar spoke.

"Well?"

Boggs took a sip of his tea. "The raid was a success, we destroyed Planetary Ion Cannon HP-5 and pulled information on the Sab Abar system."

McCarty cleared his throat. Boggs sighed as if he were making a great concession.

"And of, course, a Star marine armor unit aided in the escape, after they got, uhm, delayed by a few Mechas."

Kolasklar nodded. "Speaking of Mechas...."

McCarty spoke. "Proving easier to kill even in the simulations. Most of the MBT kills the Bree are getting are from man-portable ATGMs, not heavy units like Mecha."

Boggs frowned.

"I would have thought Mecha wouldbe more effective than that..."

"Nope. They don't move as fast, carry as much, armor is weaker, and can't swing turrets as fast as a Tank. Thank God His Excellancy killed my predecessors program." McCarty rolled his eyes.

Kolasklar turned to Onate. "When will your people's analysis be in?"

"On, in a few days."

"Good." Kolasklar looked down at his files. "We need all the information availible before we begin the biggest offensive in the Orion Arm in a thousand years...."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X