• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeneralTacticus
    replied
    The Prisoner

Cell Block Omega, Laekdaemon Central

Listening to the rhythmic sound of boots in the corridors, the prisoner shivered. There was never any sound down here, nor light, nor even smell, except what was brought from outside. He knew; he'd been assigned to this block too many times to count. And given how few people were ever held down here, chances were those boots were coming for him . . .

The prisoner shuddered again, and cursed himself. Here he was, a high-ranking officer of the Laekdaemon Cadre, until today one of the most trusted men in the security service, and now, after a mere three hours in a cell, he was already slipping. You're stronger than this! he raged at himself, This is pathetic! All it is darkness; they haven't even looked at you yet!

But he knew better. He knew, in excruciating detail, the kinds of things that might be done to ensure his co-operation, knew because he had applied them all, and invented a few himself. And worse, he knew that there were things even he didn't know about, and that frightened him more than anything else in his life.

Something had changed. The prisoner blinked once or twice - not that it made much difference, in this darkness - before realising what it was; the boots had stopped, and they were right outside his cell. It took all his self-control to keep from losing his stomach as the door swung open to admit two Internal Security Service officers and half a dozen crack troopers.

"Last chance, ex-Colonel Manfred. Give us that list of your co-conspirators, or you will spend the rest of your life wishing you had co-operated."

Manfred, the prisoner, sat straight in his chair and spat in his interrogator's face. The man grimaced - regretfully, it seemed - wiped the saliva off, and the gestured to someone behind Manfred.

"Very well, Demetrius," he said sadly, "you get your wish. Take him away, get that information, and note the machine's performance in its first field test."

He paused.

"And remember one thing: when this is done, I don't want to ever see what remains of this man. I saw a brain-hacked man once; it still turns my stomach thinking about it."

The man behind Manfred gave a grunt, tapped a button on the back of the chair, and then he felt it come loose from the floor, seeming to float as though in zero-G. As a hood closed over his head, cutting off all sensory input, the last thing the ex-Colonel saw was the sad face of his interrogator, and the cold hatred on the faces of the guards around him.

What seemed an eternity later, Manfred at last heard something. The hood was still there, but at last he could hear. A cold, pitiless voice boomed in his ears, obviously amplified; the small sounds of the rest of the room - people breathing, machinery whirring, the occasional beep from some device or other - were all deafeningly loud as well.

"So, Mr. Manfred. You know our policy with traitors; you helped design it. We gave you a chance to escape justice, if you helped us, and you refused. Now you will learn, first-hand, just what it means to betray the Cadre.

"Dr. Graves, you may begin."

What happened next was nothing like what Manfred had anticipated. He had expected physical torture, neurolashing, or even a Punishment Sphere; he had been prepared to endure all those things, even if for only a little while.

What he had not expected was a metaphysical claw reaching into his brain and ripping his mind apart.

As array of machinery that filled the room did it's work, Dr. Selden Graves watched the display screen with unblinking dark eyes, watching yellow text scrool slowly across it.

CADRE INTERROGATION UNIT ZETA-0093 ONLINE

STATUS REPORT:

PHASE 1 STATUS: COMPLETE

ALL MENTAL BARRIERS COLLAPSED

PHASE 2 STATUS: IN PROGRESS

DATA EXTRACTION PROCEEDING

"It's all there, sir. Every relevant memory he had, translated and analysed. The rebels are going to regret losing him for a very long time..."

Internal Security chief Kleomenes stared in wonder at this storage unit Graves was holding out to him.

"All of it? You're sure?"

"All, sir. Trust me."

"From anyone but you, I'd think you were bull****ting... but you've pulled off enough miracles in this field to satisfy me. I'll put you in for another pay-rise, and in the meantime, I'll get to work on whoever is named in these memories."

Graves saluted and walked out of the room, absorbed in his own thoughts, and likely would have walked into the door had it not opened automatically.
    Last edited by GeneralTacticus; February 20, 2004, 03:17.

Leave a comment:

• Frankychan
    replied
    Hive Fleet VII-in orbit above Omega IX (Independent World within Hive space)

Command deck aboard the flagship Fury of the Hive

Admiral Trasssk punched her datapad with fierce concentration. Orbiting below her, the amber and blue world of Omega IX rotated on its axis. Hive stellar cartographers and geographers discovered that the planet below held rich veins of iron, iron that was highly valued in the Hive’s upcoming plans.

High Command ordered the bombardment of Omega IX so that Hiverian mining platforms could begin harvesting the minerals in the planets crust. A pre-Industrial civilization was reported to inhabit Omega IX, but High Command ordered the planet to be viro-bombed and the planet's eco-system destroyed to quicken the mineral harvest. The fact that she was carrying out xenocidal orders did not faze her in the least.

The lizard-like Xiero continued to run simulations of which positions would give the maximum amount of devastation with the least amount of ships. So far the best ship-per square kilometer ratio she had was 34 vessels out of her fleet to create overlapping bombardment zones. Seeing as how all the ships were smaller than her own, the estimated numbers were not too high.

Maybe I should order a few of our ships to kamikaze-bomb the planet....maybe that will cause some global devastation….

As the admiral began choosing which ships would act as enormous, piloted missiles, the ships communication officer signaled for the admirals attention.

“Admiral, we are picking up an anomaly from one of our cloaked observation satellites.”

Trasssk moved her datapad aside and stood up.

“What type of ‘anomaly’?” Trasssk began as she approached the com-officer.

“It is a message originating from outside of Hiverian space. I’ll bring it up on the viewscreen, sir.”

The image of the leader of the Free Drone Republic, Kristy Adams filled the cabin. The Free Drone flag behind her as she sat behind a wooden desk.

“People of the Greater Hive Empire. Your Emperor and your government have deceived and betrayed you. Sheng-ji Yang is responsible for the deaths of millions of people and for sowing fear throughout the Human Sphere.

"His guilt tarnishes every Hiverian citizen. But the Free Drone Republic is giving the people of the Hive a chance to redeem themselves.

"All you must do is turn Sheng-ji Yang over to us. If he is not surrendered within seventy-two hours, we will be forced to take action."

After the initial message played and begun its loop, Admiral Trasssk looked at the crew. All the crew members wore a smug look on their face, as if they all understood that this “Free Drone” was spouting nothing more than nonsensical rhetoric and empty threats.

The admiral immediately broke the apparent amusement of the crew.

“Take that nonsense drivel off the screen and relay that message directly to Hive Command. Open channels to Drone Taskmaster, Tormentor, and Unification. They are to intercept the origin of that message, but stay within GHE space.”

“Yes, sir.” The crew responded and bustled into activity.

The admiral sat down in the command chair and looked over her remaining ships before addressing the com-officer again.

“Tell the Hammer of the Hive, Iron Fist, and People’s Might to plot suicide courses for the three heaviest populated cities. I want our ships to wipe those cities off the planet.”

“Yes, sir.” The officer responded, not dwelling on the fact that three Hive ships would be responsible for the death of untold millions of innocent civilians while sacrificing themselves for the greater good that was the Emperor’s Will.

-----------------------
    Hive Prime
    Council Room

The large lecture-hall room was filled with hundreds of holographic images of the Emperor’s chosen planetary governors. Each governor’s image was broadcasted from their respected world to the auditorium where the Emperor presided. The transmissions, while numerous, were both untraceable as well as indecipherable. Total privacy reigned and this pleased Yang.

Everyone working for the greater good, a perfect utopian society. I have almost achieved my goal…..my gift to the universe.

Sheng-ji stood on an elevated platform at the center of the auditorium, with the countless holograms sitting before him. Not one of them was higher than the Emperor….something that Yang saw to personally.

“My children,” Yang began, “The winds of destiny have blown strongly through the galaxy. Much has happened and I foresee grander events to come. We were introduced to many new human-led factions.”

Sheng-ji paused as he looked at the sea of holographic faces. Not all human, but all loyal completely to the Hive. Completely loyal to Yang.

“We were introduced to the so-called ‘Protectorate of Man’ and their now dead leader, the 'Lord Protector Ian'. Their meddling in Hiverian affairs is spiraling to a point where conflict with them may soon be inevitable. I will strive as your leader, to try and prevent this. Any loss of Hiverian life would be detestable….and regrettable.

"I have, however, good news. The reign of the genocidal Ian is over."

A chorus of applause filled the auditorium. All knew that millions of Hive lives were wasted everyday, and that in some circumstances, was encouraged. But the assembled knew that this was for formality’s sake. Yang continued.

"But despite the fact that their leader is dead, a new one will take his place and therefore....the Protectorate remains a foe of the Hive Empire.

“We were introduced to the descendents of one of the lost factions on Chiron; The University of Planet. Their wise and benevolent leader, Academician Randius Zakharov, has shown that he is a great friend to the Hive Empire. We hope to one day formalize our relationship with a Treaty of Friendship or even a Pact of Brotherhood. The implications of the Hive standing side by side with intellectuals from the University would be enormous.

“The Laekdaemon Cadre, another recently discovered faction, is embroiled in a bitter civil war. One side wishes to pursue hostile actions against the detestable Spartans, and the other that wishes to be enslaved by the forces of Marcus Kessel. We must support those who wish to fight the tyranny that is the Spartan regime!

“We have seen the Drones who we thought were left on that pitiful world of Chiron reemerge on the galactic stage. They continue to be a nuisance even now, amongst the stars.”

Yang braced himself, frowned, and spoke in halting speech.

“We must teach the Drones that they exist to serve the Hive.” The auditorium erupted into a thunderous applause. Yang waved their applause aside and finished.

“The Free Drone Republic is a slap in the face to each citizen of the Hive. They are a direct insult to your Emperor! They WILL be made into productive servants of the Hive and they WILL be made to learn that the Hive is their rightful masters amongst the universe.”

Sheng-ji breathed in as he began to address his closing remarks…and those that were the most important.

“Lastly, I address our hated enemies….the Spartan Federation. Every member of the Hive is taught the basic principle that the only good Spartan is a dead Spartan. They cursed us and plagued us as we tried to live peacefully on Chiron. I tried then to lead the Hive toward the utopian dream. The megalomaniacal Spartans led by their Colonel Santiago eventually forced us off that accursed planet back into the stars. Here, safe amongst the cradle that the universe has made for us, we have prospered and grown into a formidable host. But now they have come back to try and finish the job…to eliminate the utopian society I have created for you once and for all. Their new leader, Colonel Marcus Kessel, is a man that I have met on Chiron…and he wished then for the death of every member of the Hive. He continues his pursuit that his predecessor began, but I will make sure that it is HE that is destroyed.

“Therefore, I have assembled all here to bear witness to the fact that as of this moment, the entire Hive empire under my leadership is to be put on a galactic war footing. Each one of you must change your production to fit the needs of the Hive military. While in the past, we have placed sectors on war production, this is the first time that every planet in my empire will be producing materiel for war. You are ordered to reduce civil production to a minimum to sustain your civil infrastructure, but all other resources will be put to the use of the military.

“I want the universe itself to shiver in terror before the sleeping dragon. The very stars themselves will tremble in fear before the might that is the Hive. It is time the galaxy, as well as its inhabitants, come to realize that they all belong to the Hive.”

Yang smiled.

Today marks the beginnings of a dynasty that will reign until the stars themselves flicker out and die. My gift to the universe…a perfect galaxy led by Sheng-ji Yang.

The birth of a god.
    Last edited by Frankychan; February 18, 2004, 19:40.

Leave a comment:

• Lonestar
    replied
    Nuevo San Antonio

Pym looked up from the report on his desk. He glanced at Onate, and the new "Science advisor" (his previous position, now just an administrator), Dr. Dubois.

"Ambitious little bugger, isn't he? How'd he get the mass to do what he wanted? Proto-matter?" Pym looked at the next 'page' of the report. "Yep. Why would he be so stupid as to toss around proto-matter.....unless he has the nanotechnology to manipulate it?" Pym glanced at Onate, who flushed. The Director of the Protectorate's senior intelligence service didn't like being caught off guard; the Ubiqtorate's own scientists had never been able to anticipate Dr. Pym's insights whenever a foriegn power advanced in Technology. The idea of nanites hadn't even occured to him.

Pym sighed.

"You don't know?"

"Sir, the UA is a very insular society, almost as much as us. It's very hard to penetrate..."

"So, in other words, the University just established it had nanotech on a scale starting to approach our own and the Dosi. Wonderful, it isn't going to be fun passing this report on to Ambassador Atvar, and we will." Pym added, seeing the pained look on Onate's face. Foreign Minister Grant walked in at that time.

"Grant, you read that report on the way over?"

"Sure did Sir."

"What do you think about it?"

Grant spoke without hesistation. "Why would they choose such a public venue for this test? Two possibilities; either they've gone stupid on us, or they're trying to tell the universe something."

Pym's voice was harsh. "They've recently made a leap in Nanotechnology."

"Sir, you don't know that for certain.." Onate said in a strained voice.

"Something had to control the protomatter, and begin the alteration of the planet's tectonic plates Director. If they hadn't regulated the protomatter, Venus would have disintrigated. Nanites are the only thing within the UA's reach of such a feat...."

Grant scratched his chin. "It's remarkably shortsigthed of them to show off nanotech like that...especially when their ships have not been so equiped yet."

"Zakharov Junior is just as arrogrant as his father was..." Pym drummed his fingers on the desk. "Me and Prokhor worked on the Unity project back in the time of yore. We had a few....disagreements about how the Engine and powerplant should be designed. He won out. And Unity nearly farted out before they even reached Chiron, while mine and Dr. Schmidts' design ended up on the SouthWestern Republic's Endeavor, and, you'll note, we got through our trip in one piece."

Albeit several ly off course, but that was neither here nor there.

Sighing, Pym continued speaking. "We don't need this. The UA isn't our enemy, although they've attacked us enough. With the Bree on their deathbed," Reports of a Gorn orbital bombardment wiping out 90 billion Bree had arrived that morning, "the GHE and Hferhin are our main concern...and there's no indication the GHE know about the Hferhin...at least, they don't seem to be trafficing in Human meat with them."

Grant was scratching his chin during the until monologue. As Pym stopped, he spoke.

"We need to cement a peace treaty with the UA, fast. A Fair one, none of these 'searching diplomatic packets' deals the UA has been handing out. I think we can hold them to it. We never got an official apology...or offer of restituation...for the UA attacking the Michael. Bring it up, and tell them we will forgo restitution in exchange for fair, internationally recognized diplomatic relations. Embassy equals soveriegn territory, etc. Out of curiosity Sir....do you have any photos of Prokhor Zakharov?"

Pym was surprised by the query.

"I must have dozens, from when were were working togather at the Prototype in Petrograd, and takeing part in R&R at Lake Baikal, why?"

"I think our Young Acadamican doesn't realise you and his father worked togather....I'm sure someone in the UA's intelligence service knows, but it was never brought up with young Zakharov. Passing on something like that can only help matters, and would help establish a personal relationship with a foriegn Head of State."

Pym...drummed his fingers for awhile...then Nodded.
    ------------------------

To: Randius Zakharov
    Re: Diplomatic Relations

Acadamican; I would like to make sure some things are very clear on our proposal (with no insult intended!). If we are to have full diplomatic and trade relations between our two great nations, it must be treated as such, This means all diplomatic privaliges and responisibilities included. This, of course, counts for your Diplomatic corps as well as our own.

We understand your nation is udnergoing some trying times, and as a token of our good will, would like to offer to forgoe any restitution claims against you from your destruction of the Protectorate ship Michael, in exchange, just the full diplomatic relations mentioned above.

On a personal note Randius, I say Randius because I worked with your Father for many years on the Unity project. I'll be honest; I thought your father was an arrogrant, overbearing man who ignored what he didn't want to hear. He was also the smartest man I ever met, and I'm sure he would be proud to see his son following his footsteps in the name of knowledge. I have enclosed in the transmission copies of assorted media from when your Father and I worked togather. I've left the video files unedited, and no doubt both myself and Prokhor come across as complete asses in our many, many arguments. This is how Prokhor would have wanted you to see him, however, unedited. Also included is media from when our little lab ("Little" in the sense that today it would be a High school physics kit) group would go out for some R&R. Maybe it would do you some good to see what Russia was once like.

Best rergards,

Dr. Henry Pym.

Leave a comment:

• Sovereign
    replied
    Sol
    Bastion Battlestation Alpha

A darkened room resonated with several humming and tapping noises. A solitary man sat in a chair in the darkness, deep in thought, oblivious to the outside world. A beeping sound seemed to be like an explosion to him, bringing him out of his concentration. A gloved hand reached out towards the wooden table which has seen centuries pass by.

Tap.

A series of pictures materialized out of thin air, as if by some arcane magic. After several seconds of fluctuating and spiking, the pictures cleared up to beyond crystal precision. One picture zoomed out, blotting out the other hovering three dimensional pictures. A lifeless planet pockmarked by craters, ravines, and fissures zoomed out from the floating representation just above the desk to encompass the rear half of the room.

The globe slowly turned on its axis, much similar to Earth’s axial tilt. A simple word floated above the sphere that resembled a beat up golf ball.

Venus

A single ship can be seen holding a geostationary orbit over the first planet in the Sol system. It appeared to be a research vessel with a spherical body and six double pinchers fused to the sphere in the four cardinal directions, as well as the top and bottom of the sphere.

The man’s voice resonated a strong bass voice.

”Begin.”

Two torpedoes shot out from the research vessel at a unusually slow speed. In addition to its speed, the torpedoes looked rather odd, with dozens of spheres connected to the main torpedo chassis.

Several minutes passed.

One torpedo reached the north pole, and the other torpedo reached the south pole of the rocky and ultra-hot planet. The torpedoes held position for several seconds while the powerful quantum computers based on the research vessel underwent two million trillion calculations per microsecond, per quantum chip. Once the calculations were laid out, a signal was transmitted to the two torpedoes holding position, then the torpedoes detonated.

The resulting explosion sent the spheres in a perfectly synchronized formation across the northern and southern hemispheres of the planet, and a scant second later, huge explosions could be seen on the planet’s surface.

A voice sounded on the intercom.

Successful sphere impacts on the rocky surface of Venus.”

Then during the next several minutes, nothing happened.

However, exactly fifteen minutes after the explosions, the miracle of all miracles came into being. The space around the planet shimmered, and where there had been huge impact craters, the surface was becoming green. Several more minutes passed before some streaks of blue could be seen, and as the minutes passed, the streaks became splotches, then large blots.

The green surfaces kept spreading, covering the whole surface of Venus not covered by the growing blue blots within an hour.

Within three hours, fuzzy white wisps could be seen forming above Venus, and the blue blots became great expanses of blue-cyan, while the green surfaces roughened up in some areas, while other areas became gentle rolling terrain.

Within seven hours, the fuzzy wisps became much larger, and the blue-cyan expanses grew choppy where blue meets green. The greenery became more pronounced in some areas, and became brownish in others.

Within eleven hours, the console beeped on the wooden desk, then the hand reached out again.

Tap.

The view of Venus blossomed and expanded into a view of an area where the blue and green met.

The Academician smiled.

Project Genesis completed!

Trees, grass, shrubbery, and hints of a jungle could be seen everywhere where there was land. The shores had gently rolling waves crashing upon the eleven hour old beaches. A rain squall could be seen in the distance, along with several lighting bolts and thunderclaps.

Now I can create life where life is non-existent or taken away like at Sab Abar. Using proto-matter with the stabilization provided by10^80 nanites, I was able to transform the atomic structures of billions of tons of barren rock into an livable planet very similar to Earth. Even now, the nanites are burrowing into Venus’s core, to transform it into a core similar to Earth, with tectonic plates, molten magma, and concave currents.

Without Quantum Power, the power to generate Proto-matter would have been impossible.

The door chimed, and the Academician unlocked the door by remote.

A woman entered, holding a couple of data crystals. She took a glance at the transformed Venus with a look of shock and surprise, and then to the Academician. The Academician stood up, almost bouncing and barely restraining his glee, and motioned to the woman.

“Mina, please take a seat.”

“Thank you, sir. Here, I have two diplomatic messages. I thought you’d like to be informed personally, due to the nature of the messages.”

“Oh? Who are they from?”

“The Protectorate and the Free Drones.”

“You have to be kidding me. The Protectorate has been less than forthcoming and has been not so friendly.”

“Maybe it’s a turn for the better.”

“Perhaps. This new Protectorate leader seems more rational than Ian. I’ll extend a olive branch, but the military and secret project build-ups will continue. If the Protectorate proves to be less than trustworthy, or if they decide to sneak attack us under the guise of peace, they will receive a very rude surprise.”

“Indeed. Anything else?”

“Yes. I want to display this miracle to our public. Show them both the destruction of Sab Abar, and the creation of life on Venus. Show them that the University Alliance will not be cowed by the Protectorate’s destruction of Sab Abar. Show them that there is always an opposite to an action, hence the Genesis Project.”

The Academician handed Mina a copy of the recording of the ‘life-giving’ on Venus.

“I’ll get right on it, Academician.”

“Thank you. Report back to me in several hours, and bring information regarding the Phalanx Project.”

Mina stood up, then curtsied to the Academician. As she left, she smiled back at the Academician, as if to reassure him that things were indeed improving.

The Academician inserted the two data crystals with the diplomatic messages, and upon the completion of both messages, he sank into his chair deep in thought once again.

Full diplomatic relations with the Protectorate? Isn’t this grand? I could use this, to buy some extra time.

The Free Drones might have something there, with the mysteries of the Temple. I should contact David Hall and his team at the Berrik ruins in the Spira system and let them know that they will be having visitors shortly.

Indeed. Mina was right. Things are finally looking up for the University Alliance.

The Academician emerged from his deep thoughts and decided to send out replies immediately, to expedite matters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Henry Pym

“Your offer was put under consideration.

In light of our previous disagreements and misunderstandings, I believe it might be a prudent course of action to enter into a full diplomatic relationship. I do this to avoid any further conflict between our two peoples, and hopefully build a stronger relationship.

The release of the prisoners of war is underway. All of the prisoners will be ready for transport within the next day, unless you would rather have them escorted to an embassy.

I would also like to thank you for the map of your territory and holdings. I will also provide a map of the University Alliance’s holdings and territories within this transmission.

Hopefully we can put our past behind us and work on building a relationship.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: President Kristy Adams

“I would like to thank you for your willingness to return Terran property. This proves our relationship is still strong, and I hope we may even make it stronger.

In return, I shall permit your researchers access to the Berrik ruins, and share the research discoveries the University archaeologists make there.

In addition, your research team may visit an University AI lab.

Your team will be contacted with directions and an escort if needed.

Live well.”
    Last edited by Sovereign; February 21, 2004, 03:10.

Leave a comment:

• History Guy
    replied
    Nowhere

"Mr. Nova," came a funny little voice, high-pitched and piercing. It tore at Joe Nova's nerves, frightening him to the core. He shook quite uncontrollably as the little box in which he was confined suddenly opened up with a bit of a click. A hatch slid back, and an opening wide enough for him to squeeze through appeared. He sniffed about at the air that was now flowing into the small black box, and found that it was much better than the way the container smelt now after his having lived in it for the last several hours.

"Please feel free to come out, Mr. Nova. We have no wish to cause you any more pain than you have already suffered."

Nova continued to shake, beads of sweat rolling down his forehead. His hands were wet with the stuff.

"Please, Mr. Nova, if you would exit the container..."

Nova slowly crept forward towards the opening. He did not move fast enough, however. Suddenly, an electric shock jolted him, throwing him forward towards the hatch.

"I apologize for having to resort to this, Mr. Nova. The Council does not appreciate having to wait for you."

"Who the hell are you?" Nova shouted, peering out of the box at the darkened room, noting a chair with tasteful red cushions under a handsome golden lamp.

"Please, Mr. Nova, I cannot as of yet divulge such information. Suffice to say that you have no hope of being saved by your allies."

"The Novans are survivors. We will squash you, whoever you are," he said, defiantly.

"I doubt it, Mr. Nova. Now, would you do me the honor of exiting your container before I am forced to resort to violence?"

Nova rolled out of the box, feeling the warm carpet beneath his form as he lay in a fetal position on the floor. He looked around, but the room was dark. He made out the nice carpet, the wooden walls, a bust shrouded in shadows, and that red chair again with the lamp beside it. There appeared to be some vague, looming form at the back of the room.

"Come this way, Mr. Nova."

"What...what happened to me?" the pirate asked.

"Mr. Nova..."

"What happened to my men, you bastard?"

"Mr. Nova...your manner is appalling. I ask you to cease from using offensive language in my presence. It is not that I am a prude, you understand, it is simply that I find it distasteful for men of our importance and dignity to speak to one another as though we were animals."

"Just tell me what is happening," Nova entreatied. "Please..." He was still shaking.

"Mr. Nova, I regret to inform you that your flagship is currently in the hands of the Morganite government and that the majority of your crew and officers are dead."

"Regret? Then...then...you've come to help me?"

"No, Mr. Nova. I have not."

"What of my allies?"

"The Novan faction is no more. All of your fleets have surrendered except for a few ships that are presently being chased down. The age of Novan piracy is over. A new order is coming to power, sir. The Novans are destroyed, as are the Terrans. Sparta, Morgan Interstellar, the Drone Federation...this is where power lies now. And you are here at the heart of it all."

"Where?"

"A moon orbiting a dead planet orbiting a dying sun. This is so highly classified an area that to most governments of the galaxy it simply does not exist."

"What is its name?"

"It has no name."

"Who are you?"

"I am nobody."

Nova walked forward, towards the dark shape. He expected at any moment to be stopped by some horrible shock or by armed guards...but he wasn't. In fact, just as he was upon this shape, there was a little click and a lamp turned on.

The shape was a desk upon which were piled some letters, notes, and a small computer. There was also, oddly enough, a very attractive little teacup and saucer. Behind the desk sat a pleasant-looking little man in a neat suit and tie.

"Allow me to say, at least, that you are a prisoner of Morgan Interstellar, and that I am to interrogate you."

"What does this mean?"

"You were captured, as you know, and kept in there for several days while you were shipped here. The news has already been announced to the whole of mankind. Everyone rejoices over the catching of a dangerous terrorist such as yourself."

"Will Morgan kill me?"

"Oh, good heavens, know. You're as good as dead anyway. Nobody has ever escaped from here. That doesn't matter. You shall live happily and peacefully here in your apartment for the remainder of your days. If you are lucky, you may even be given a job of some importance to the community. Other inmates have reformed and achieved some status here. You have heard of Gorbon the Stringer?"

"Never."

"Ah? What a shame. Famous serial killer on Planet 3 in the second galaxy of the Corporate Sector. Well, he was kept here in solitary confinement until he suffered a mental breakdown. Thanks to our efforts at readjusting him to living in society, he has become one of our happiest citizens. This colony emulates Gorbon the Stringer and all who, like him, have managed to overcome their natural tendencies for acting in criminal manners. Perhaps you too shall adjust. If so, we may allow you to become a head of mining expeditions! Or an accountant? Perhaps something in admin? What would you like?"

"To die."

"I am sorry, Mr. Nova. That is entirely out of the question."

Leave a comment:

• Mr. President
    replied
    The Waiting Is The Hardest Part

Blue Star Hotel, Luca
    Spira

"Where would you like to go today?"

The voice was a pleasant female voice. She sounded like she was about 23 and probably had light brown hair. Of course, she didn't have hair at all, because "she" was a computer in the lobby of the Blue Star hotel. The voice was synthetically generated to speak the responses of the artificial intelligence to questions posed by customers.

Derek had been afraid of it initially, but on the third day they were delayed Gary had marched right up and asked it about shopping opportunities in Luca. Not only had the voice recommended several malls, she had also printed a map from the street directory. It turned out that the local malls were slightly more expensive than on Vega since many of the goods were imported, but it was an enjoyable day nonetheless. So today they were asking again.

"Do you like sports?" the computer asked in a surprisingly humanoid tone. "There's a blitzball game at 12:00 today, at the Municipal Stadium. Most people have season tickets, but you can buy a day ticket for four credits."

"What's blitzball?" asked Gary. While the AI explained the game, Derek looked around the lobby. Mostly there were normal hotel guests. But he eventually picked out an unobtrusive mechanoid nestled in an alcove. It had two human-like arms; or rather, one human-like arm and one that started as a human-like arm but terminated in a gun, most likely a particle impactor.

Derek blinked. Would they ever need a defense droid with a particle impactor in a hotel lobby? What was it protecting them from? For that matter, who was it supposed to protect.

"I'll print out the map for you," the AI offered. As it was doing so, Derek tapped the Thinker's shoulder.

"Why is there such a security presence everywhere?" he asked.

"Terrorism," Gary replied. "You don't remember those bombings?"

"Well, I remember . . ."

Gary continued, "The University's a high-security state. It's better than the alternative, isn't it?"

"Yeah, sure." Derek rolled his eyes. Gary thanked the AI and they left.

Academician's Office

The aide walked into the communications center. "I just," said he to the FTL operator, "received this data chip from the Drone Ambassador. The contents need to be sent to the Academician, ASAP."

Though not authorized to view most of the material on the chip, he had an idea of what it contained. The Drone Republic's Space Marine Command had probably agreed to hand over the Terran Battlecruiser captured near Epsilon Eridani. The negotiations had been taking place for three days. Before the Academician left for Earth, he had left his aides instructions to offer the visiting Drone scientists a look at an artificial intelligence lab, in addition to the Berrik temple.

This, of course, was an offer their counterparts on Vega could not refuse. Drone AI technology was years behind that of the University. And, the aide thought to himself, he could make it so they didn't even see any of the interesting things . . .
    Last edited by Mr. President; February 11, 2004, 19:03.

Leave a comment:

• Lonestar
    replied
    Nuevo San Antonio
    Beta Hydri 4

Lord Protector Henry Pym leaned back in his chair at the head of the table. Foreign Minister Grant came walking in, and the "Inner Cabinant" was complete. Pym looked up at Grant as he sat down two chairs away from him.

"How are our Guests?"

"Ms. Adams just left for Drone Mound, and the illustrious Deputy Minister of Intersteller Affairs of the UA, Dr. Kuzentov, told us in no uncertain terms that his nation will not be intimidated by anyone...and thank you for the map of Protectorate Holdings. This was right before he boarded the shuttle to the UA Crusier in Orbit."

"So they know what we did at Sab Abar?"

Grant and Director Onate looked at each other. Onate spoke.

"Your Excellancy, yes, I'm sure they do. I'd be surprised if they hadn't recieved the sensor logs of one of the ships. Ever since trade opened up with Morgan Intersteller, security has been much tougher to implement..."

Pym twiddled his ancient Parker pen in his hand. Looser security....a price of dealing with Humanity once more. It was acceptable. Pym sighed and said; "What are we going to do about the GHE?"

Grant spoke up again. "Sir, we've already passed on logs to everyone we know...I think the Drones, Peacekeepers, Morgan Intersteller would all step in and help us if the GHE did anything...remarkably stupid. In any event, the Dosi would be able to protect us...in fact, it's my belief that now that the other Human states know about our close relationship, they'll be hesitant to pick a war with us. Once the Sab Abar event becomes public knowledge..."

Onate turned and looked at the rest of the cabinet. Taking a deep breath, he spoke; " In two days, all the free-speech countries will have editorials running about how bad and evil we are. Popular support in those countries will take a dive, all that sympathy we garnered from the Bree Assasination attempt will be gone."

Pym tapped his fingers on the table. War Minister Kolasklar spoke. "Sir, it was a military descision. There were God knows how many trained Hypermatter engineers on that planet. You know as well as anyone here that the Bree's capacity to fight the Gorn is already in the Crapper, and we haven't heard a peep from them since."

Grant glared at Kolasklar. "Nishant, we just wiped out 50 billion sentient life forms, and we're in a very close relationship with an alien race that is far and away one of the most ethnocentric races out there. You don't think that other Human states aren't gonna think we're going to sell them out?"

"Quiet." Pym said, wishing he had Ian's commanding prescence. We didn't snipe at each other like this in front of him, did we? Well....maybe we did. Pym pushed a small box, about twice the size of a thimble to Grant. Onate's, Trade Secretary Ved's, and Kolasklar's eyes follwed it.

"What's this?"

"Pick it up."

Grant complied, and couldn't on first try, he was so surprised.

"It must weigh 20 lbs!"

"30. It's Hypermatter. It has the highest mass-to-energy ratio in existance."

The others looked at him with a blank face, and Pym sighed, thinking like a Sscience advisor again.

"Look, everything has potential energy, right? Industrial Humans burned coal, Information age humans used Petrochemicals....we use anti-matter, Fusion not withstanding. That right there.." Pym gestured at it "
    Is from the core of a neutron star. It has more potential energy in it than anything else in existance, except perhaps a black hole. I want you to have delievered, personally to either the Science Minister or the Head of State of Morgan Intersteller, the Free Drones, and the Spartans, a like amount."

There was silence. Pym continued speaking. "Their science advisors know that this will be an immense gift, and will greatly expand all their knowledge of physics.

Pym was silent for a moment. "Grant, I want you to deliever, immediately to a UA VIP, a proposal for full diplomatic relations with all the privliges and responsibilities it entails, the release of our people on Terra, and a full trading relationship. If they grant it, we'll give them double the amount we gave enyone else."

He wasn't worried about theft, it was store at an isolated asteroid with incorruptable 'Fair Witnesses' running it. there were over a dozen P9's or higher there as well, with a thin sheen of nanolath covering the hypermatter containers, programed to destroy them if it wasn't removed with the proper 5 man Gene code.

Grant made a face. " I might be difficult to get the diplomactic packet thing out...they're going all Ashcroft on us."

"Send it out."

Leave a comment:

• Sovereign
    replied
    Sol
    Bastion BattleStation #1 orbiting Terra
    Academician's Private Quarters[/B]

A holographic image flickered to life just above the Academician's magohany table.

Words flashed on then scrolled upwards on the screen, superimposed over a gigantic structure. The gigantic structure resembled a pyramid with smaller pyramids and pylons circling it. The entire structure was laid out in a full three dimensional diamond shape.

"Bastion#1 construction 99.99% complete. Completion is expected within the next few hours.

Construction on Bastions #2 through #4 is expected to be completed within the next week.

Bastions #5 and #6 is expected to be finished by the end of the month."

The screen changed to another structure of a similiar design to the Bastion. More text followed.

"The Apocalypse class orbitals were planned to become the standard new orbitals powered by the new Quantum reactors that were recently developed.

However, the recent war with the Believers over Earth / Terra, as well as the growing concerns about a conflict with the Protectorate has caused the Apocalypse class to be relegated to a supporting role as the new Bastion class was designed and developed.

The Apocalypse class orbitals are one quarter the size of the Bastions, with more docking bays for fighters and far more missile pods installed per metric ton than the Bastions.

The Apocalypse orbitals measure approximately seven kilometers across and three kilometers from top to bottom. The Apocalypse orbitals was designed to provide the equalivent firepower and protection as the newly designed University Titan class size of battleships.

The standard deployment of orbitals will include six Bastions and sixteen Apocalypse orbitals in a perfect spherical formation surrounding a University planet. Two Bastions will be located at the north and south poles, as well as the four others spaced apart equally around the planet's equator, similiar to the positions of the cardinal directions in a compass.

The structure and briefing hologram dissipated, only to be replaced by a full-text hologram, as the Academician tapped the panel to display the next holo-pages.

The University has increased its military based spending, construction, research and development, and infrastructure by a factor of five, in an attempt to bolster it's aging military. The University hasn't engaged in any major military activity up to the Protectorate stand-off over Planet Wu235, and the battle with the Believers in the Sol system.

The military upgrades and refurbishments is planned to provide the University with the most advanced fleets in Human history. Several key concepts and component designs were gleaned from the alien ship recovered from the Wu235 system.

The discoveries made from that ship aided the University researchers in developing the Enertran coils, which is a revolutionary step in energy tranmissions.

The Enertran coils allow wireless transmission of energy, which has staggering implications for civilian and military uses. The coils utilize quantum folded space to create 'tunnels' or 'corridors' in which energy flows from Coil A / Point A to Coil B / Point B. The coils generate openings in quantum space to allow the entry / exit of energy to power machinery, applications, or devices."

Another tap on the panel.

"It is now theoretically possible for University ships to not require ANY engines whatsoever. Instead, they recieve energy from planetary power plants. Experiments regarding this possibility are scheducled to be underway within the next several months. This has immediate applications for fighters, enabling fighters to fit more weapons and armor, instead of a working power plant.

In addition, without the mass of a power plant, the University's combat Mechanoids can either increase speed, mount more weapons, thicken armor, or add more specialized equipment.

The new ships and orbitals no longer need miles upon miles of wiring, which saves space, as well as reducing the potential of ship systems losing function due to interrupted power circuits."

Another tap on the panel.

"One another major discovery in the alien ship was advanced quantum folding of space. The aliens on the vessel apparently had knowledge of folding quantum space into pockets, which provides nearly infinite space. The ancient Human myths and legends about bottomless pits and the "cup of plenty" finally became a reality.

University scientists are calling this quantum space pocket folding 'N-Space Compression'. The N represents infinity, or near infinity.

This technology has several incredible applications, including secure storage of materials and weapons, staging areas for Mechanoid troops, Quantum-space fleet depots and bases, and power plants located in N-Space that transmit energy through the new Enertran coils to ships, orbitals, and civilian devices, infrastructure, and machinery."

The Academician was as giddy as a school-child who recieved a delightful cookie snack as the briefings ended. His excitement dissipated as a Priority One-Omega transmission beeped on his panel.

The face of his Head of Intelligence, Thomas Dewitt, shimmered in view.

"I have some truly disturbing and grave news."

The Academician became more agitated.

"What is it?"

"My agent in Protectorate territory has reported that the Protectorate are celebrating a major victory over the Bree.

The only information that the agent was able to acquire is that the Protectorate apparently, as he called it, 'glassified' a Bree planet with approximately 50 billion Bree on it."

The blood drained from the Academician's face.

"Are you serious?"

"Yes."

"Any documentation or images to prove this?"

"An agent will be at your door in several minutes to hand-present you with the data."

"Thank you. Keep me updated."

The Academician slumped in his leather bound chair, feeling ancient and worn out, as if his body lost all its vitality and became a seven hundred year old skeleton.

Several minutes later, the agent arrived with the images of the Bree planetary destruction. The Academician merely opened the door and took the data crystal from the agent without saying a word. Dismissed by a hand wave, the agent left, never knowing the sensitive content that he hand-carried.

The Academician sank back into his chair and slowly inserted the data crystal into the data reader. He delicately activated the reader with shaking hands, fearful that the end of the universe would spring forth from the very crystal in front of him.

After viewing the images, the Academician closed his eyes, and did not move at all for several minutes. One would think that the Academician was an inanimate object by the sheer silence and frozen visage he extruded during these several tenacious minutes.

My God. The Protectorate killing an ENTIRE planet!

I... absouletely CAN NOT, and WILL NOT allow any University planet to befall this fate!

I must increase the University's military build-up by a notch or two. Also, my three Projects must be accelerated at any cost.

Genesis.

Forge.

Phalanx.

As the Academician's thoughts were becoming more chaotic and jumbled, a single thought floated up to the fore-front of his consciousness laced with one singular emotion.

Hope.

However, these incredible N-Space and Enertran Coil technologies might, just might assure absoulete defense.
    Last edited by Sovereign; January 26, 2004, 16:34.

Leave a comment:

• Lonestar
    replied
    Sab Abar

Thousands of Valkyrie Starfuries harried the Bree flotilla around Refinery Cluster #4. The Capital ships of Fleet group 4 stood off at several thousand Kilometers, their Particle cannons ripping into the stationary defenses of the Refinary Complex. After a Gap in the defenses serval Hundred of FM wide was open, 2 dozen assualt ships carrying 72,000 CapTroopers burst in. The vessles attached themselves to the comples, and the CapTroopers with their power armor burst into the wide Bree-designed corriders.

At Krith Dendo, the Administrative Center on Sab Abar, Krith Shimarra was livid.

"Order 12th Clutch to relieve Refinary # 4!"

"Exalted one, if we do it will leave our planetary defenses severely undermanned. Perhaps we should send several vessels to break out and inform High Comm..."

"I gave you an Order! Follow it!"

"At your command." The Aide got into a posture of respect, and wandered off. Soon, 200 Bree Captial ships left SA3's orbit and sped off towards Refinery 4. The three other Protectorate Task forces Made a beeline for SA3.

In orbit of SA3 was Massive Bree battleship, SkyKiller. It was over 20 km, bristling with weapons. It was vague Ovoid in shape, with a large volume. It would be a pain in tha ass for Fel to kill.

But in order to secure the system, it had to be destroyed. The Psi-Talents had determined that destroying the SkyKiller early on would wreck Morale. Fel still rolled his eyes at that comment. No Sh*T, Sherlock.

As the Protectorate Fleet 3rd Fleet closed, every Battleship, Star Crusier, and Battle Crusier energize their Particle Cannons to full capacity. Each one would generate over 2 million Terawatts, enough destructive energy to glass Great Britain.

The 3FG had over 500 Particle cannons.

"Closing to 2,000 km." the Astrogater said. The Operations Specialist nodded. "Bree Vessels are breaking Orbit and engaeing periphery of the fleet, SkyKiller is attempting to Bull Rush out."

Fel nodded, and walked over to the communications board. He picked up the mike and spoke to the fleet.

"This is FADM Fel, you've all been assigned "Boxes" as soon as the SkyKiller is within range of your Box, fire! Don't let it get away!"

Withing a minute explosions started to rock the fleets as the capitalships began to engage in broadsides. the SkyKiller was entering range of Box 6.....

For a second it was brighter than the brightest sun, as dozens of fully Charged Particle Cannons impacted it's shielding. As the PCs cooled down and the Nanites began to repair the damage such a high output geve them, Fusion lasers lanced out. The SkyKiller was rushing out now, it's engine leaking a fair amount of hypermatter. Box 1 and 3 came in range. It was destroyed. A cheer erupted on board the Alcarondas' CIC, as it no doubt erupted on every other Protectorate vessel in the system. Fell looked out at the optical viewer, the Beauty of the Hawking cluster contrasting with the explosions of the battle. Elation filled him.

We're going to go down in history as the first Humans to stomp the sh*t out of a Old Alien Empire.

The Two forces Capital ships slugged it out with each other, and hundreds of thousands on both sides were dying. But the numbers were going in favor of the Protectorate.

"Sir," The Comm Officer said "ADM Christensen reports Refinary Cluster 4 is under Protectorate control. Several million tonnes of Hypermatter have been aquired, as has the refining equipment."

So the ground invasion isn't nesscery.

"Out standing."

By now the Protectorate fleet was in orbit of SA3. Looking down, he could see the jewled planet, with huge swathes of city covering it. It was suppose to have almost 50 billion sentients on it. As the last Bree Capitalship went inert, Fel turned to the Comm Officer. Over a third of his starfleet was destroyed, but he had to call it a sucess.

"Contact the Fleet: Begin Base Delta Zero Operation."
    ------------------------------

Krith Shimarra was stunned at the spectacular explosion.

"God's Below!"

For two Hours the battle went on, and his ground forces were ready. But now, for over an hour the Human fleet had sat in Orbit, reconfiguring for the invasion.

Foolish, he thought. The Humans should have begun bombardment immediately.

He didn't knowthe Protectorate ships were waiting for the nanites to finish expediting repairs on the Particle cannons, so they could fire at full force again.

"Energy Spike! Gods below!" One of the sensor watchers in the command center. Krith looked out thw window, all he saw was light.

---------------------

"The destruction of Sab Abar was complete. It was the first time anyone had seen the specticle of a Protectorate Base Delta Zero operation, and it would become a more common sight in coming years. Over 60 Billion Bree subjects were slaughtered as the planet of Sab Abar 3 was literaly melted into a fine sheen of glass. The atmosphere was choked with poisionous gases from the cracked crust and the oceans were boiled away. The Fleet then forced Battered Bree ships and Stations out of orbit, to crash down upon the planet.

The Battle lead to a crippling effect upon the Bree's warmaking capacity. Within a year, the Gorn were less than 10ly from the Bree Throneworld. The Main-phase of the Bree-Protectorate conflict was over; they had bigger concerns.

The Protectorate forces were battered by the campaign, and for the remainder of the war only harried the Bree forces enough to prevent the construction of new refinary capabilities. Unfortunately for the Bree, that never came. The Creame of the hypermatter engineers had been killed.

A slow peace settled over the Protectorate, as they rebuilt their starfleet and expanded their "Cyber" combat infantry armies. Sound, they'd be able to match any nation in numbers on the ground. And all the Galaxy would weep."
    “The Rise of the the Tyrant” by Grand Historian L’Neer, circa 3362

Leave a comment:

• Lonestar
    replied

Krith Dendo, Administrative Center
    Sab Abar

Krith Shimarra, Supreme Governor of the Sab Abar System, was annoyed when the door to his chambers chimed. He grounded and rolled out of the bedding, irritated that he'd been interrupted while coupling with one of his Harem. The door slid open, and a yound UnderOfficer stood there.

"My apologies Exalted One, but a Protectorate Force has just entered realspace and is making a dead run for Refinary cluster # 4."

Krith Shimarra uttered a chortled of annoyance. Protectorate raids had reached far enough into Bree space, but never Sab Abar. Still, a raid was expected.

"Deal with it! I'm bus..."

"Exalted One, a force is heading towards cluster 4, another Three are heading....here. Another Force is in the Oort Cloud, waiting with what is clearly several hundred large troop transports."

"Several Hundred?"

"600 800m or larger, a thousand smaller transports. The other forces rate 300 capital ships or more each."

"Inform central command, immediately!"

"Communications have been jammed, and the infidels have deployed gravity wells around the system, we're trapped..."

Shimmarra snarled, revealing several rows of teeth.

"Well, alert our forces! Stop them!"
    ============================
    Alcarondas

The Ranging ship Wooden Whale had captured a Bree Hypermatter tanker early in the battle. At least, they had thought it was. But the corpses lying in the medical bay gave lie to that belief.

Human, and Bulwark, to the man.

It was a GHE merchant ship. In case it was all amazingly coincidence, evidence had been snatched from the ship, evidence ranging from little shrines to Yang, to the cargo manifest (which was referred to as "Biological cargo"...it had turned out Bree enjoyed a taste for human flesh. The Humans were Hiverian, Morganite and Spartan citizens).

Fel took a deep breath and turned to the CO of the Wooden Whale.

"Take the evidence back the Beta Hydri as fast as you can. His Excellancy must see this with his own eyes."

Dispite the images of the "cargo", Fel had a tiny smile tug at his face. If there was anything that would completely isolate the GHE, selling humans for food would do it.

Leave a comment:

• Sovereign
    replied
    Sol
    One week later

A lone silvery and sleek transport shuttle passed Jupiter, on its way to Terra. Only four people in existence at that particular point of time knew the true importance of the shuttle.

A tall and young looking major, with hints of Swedish descent and a goatee sat in one corner of the mess hall in the shuttle. He watched the other officers, who were arguing about a new sport that originated from Spira and has taken the UA by storm, with a sense of amusement.

"The Chronopolis Paladins deserved that victory! They had an excellent defense, but that refree made a really bad call!"

"Really? That move by the Zanarkand Abes was completely legit!"

"Oh really? Passing a ball between the same two players for 5 minutes straight, while the Abe's defense decided to guard these 2 ball throwers?"

"They didn't have a chance to score. The Paladin's defense was too great at the goal diamond."

"Bull****! They did that just to preserve their score! The Abes were 1 point ahead of the Paladins, and didn't want to lose that game. If the Abes had lost, they would have been eliminated from the Water Cup."

"How dare you insinuate such a thing!"

"The Paladins defense was actually attacking the Abes, aiding the offense in trying to get the ball away from the two cheating players. So don't tell me the Paladins defense was huddled at the goal diamond!"

"Nope. The Abes used tactical strategy to preserve their lead!"

"Tactical strategy, my ass! Thats called cheating, and I swear that the refree was bribed by the Zanarkand Abes' filthy rich manager to not call the Abes on that lousy, no good cheating move! Any half assed blitzball fan would tell you right away that it's illegal for a player to hold the ball for more than one minute!"

"Oh shut up! The Abes played well this season. The Paladins? They're just there by luck and beating really easy teams."

"Forget you!"

Both officers stalked away in opposite directions, fuming.

The major chuckled. He turned to a friend, a medium built man with a buzz haircut, sitting at a table across from him.

"Well, Rube, blitzball sure beats soccer and football."

"Its a lot more interesting to watch, Sean."

Major Sean Donnell nodded.

"You know, Rube, blitzball does resemble soccer. But the whole playing field is underwater, in a spherical shape. You can throw, kick, or pass the ball with any body part. Heads, hands, arms, elbows, feet, legs, you name it.

The objective is to get the ball through the goal diamond suspended at either end of the underwater sphere, usually located at the north and south ends. A goalie guards the diamond, much like hockey or soccer.

I guess Blitzball could be said to be a blend of hockey, basketball, and soccer. But the playing field is much more interesting, and you can go in any 3-dimensional direction, rather than back-forward-left-right in traditional soccer or hockey arenas."

Rube gave Sean a knowing look, then chuckled.

"You sure you aren't a Blitzball fanatic?"

Both men chuckled. They started a lively discussion and comparison of Spira's sports to Terran sports.

Meanwhile, a bland looking captain sitting next to a window was watching two sergeants play a mathematical game.

"Arrgh! Your damn sphere beat my coins again!"

"Heh. Heh. Keep praticing, then you'll make combos in no time."

"Man, this makes me wish for good old poker. But, somehow this game keeps me coming back and back."

The captain became curious and walked over to the two sergeants. Both sergeants looked up and saluted.

"Sir! Sergeant Kramisky reporting!"

"Sir! Sergeant Durant reporting!"

"At ease gentlemen."

"What brings you here, captain?"

"Kramisky, what is that game you two are playing?"

"Oh this? It's called Sphere Break. It's a mathemtical game that originated from Spira."

Durant spoke up.

"Spira sure has some excellent sports and people. I've been there once. Extremely friendly and fun loving people!"

"Sure takes your mind off these rough times, with the recent, albeit brief war with the Believers, and before that, the tension between us and the Protectorate."

"Kramisky, this reminds me of the United States and Russia more than 700 years ago."

"Durant, you mean the cold war?"

"Yeah. However, its a whole new style of cold war. We are no longer limited to just one planet, so we can't be easily wiped out or become extinct. On the other hand, there are aliens that may pounce on us if and when we rip ourselves to shreds in a human 'galaxy war'. I hope like hell it won't come to that."

The captain took all this in.

"Both of you, it won't come to that. There's always hope and dreams, even in the most difficult of times. Look at Earth. It survived through the utter chaos of the 21st century, and thrived. Aliens won't kill us off. We're simply too tough to just stamp out. We're not some kind of ant or bug to be squashed. We will endure."

The two sergeants stopped debating and nodded slowly.

"You're right, sir. I hadn't thought about that."

"I second Durant's assertion."

"Durant and Kramisky, lets put aside the gloom. Lets concentrate on making the best out of life. Enjoy all the happy and fun moments of life, since these memories will sustain us through even the darkest hours. What exactly is this Sphere Break game, and how do I play it?"

Durant explained the rules and the specifics of Sphere Break.

"To win this game, you have to combine the numbers on the coins to make multiples of the core number. What does it mean by that? You will need entry and border coins to create a multiple of the number displayed in the core sphere. The core sphere is the blue sphere I have right here. When I activate the sphere, a number between 1 and 9 will appear on it. That number is called the 'core number'.

Entry coins come in two varieties. First variety is the solid and tangible coins that we collect and trade. Most of those types of coins exist on Spira, and most Sphere Break games on Spira use these tangible coins. For us who don't live on Spira, and don't possess any tangible coins, we use 'memory chips'. They store our holographic entry coins, allowing any one to play Sphere Break, anywhere.

As for the game, we place 4 of the entry coins around the sphere. They will have any number between 1 and 9. They will never disappear. Some coins may have bonuses, such as double score, double bet, double timer, and so forth.

Border coins are holographic coins generated at random by the core sphere. They have numbers from 1 to 9 as well. However, some coins may disappear after a set period of time, such as 30 seconds or 1 minute. Coins with the number 1 tend to stay the longest, upwards of 3 or 4 minutes. Number 9 coins tend to disappear after the next 'interval' of time, whether it be 30, 45, or 60 seconds.

Basically your task is to combine the number values on the coins to equal the multiple of the core number. For example, the core number says '7'. You need to achieve a sum of either 7, 14, 21, 28, and so forth, using the entry and border coins. Again, for example, you'd need to use a coin with values of 3, 5, and 6. They will add up to 14, and you get a 'Sphere Break' and points.

Points increase on the number of coins you use in a combo to get a 'Sphere Break'. We set a limit of points to reach, and once a player hits that limit first, he/she wins.

The bonuses some entry coins have can double the timer on the sphere, extending the time allowed to make combos. Other bonuses include doubling all the coin number values, double points gained, increase the value of the coin, and so forth.

When the game is over, you insert your memory chip into the core sphere, and it will write down information and stats on the chip. It will write down if your entry coins increase or decrease in value, your total victories so far, etc."

"Thanks Durant. I'd like to give it a try, but unfortunately, I don't have any 'memory chips' or anything like that."

"Captain, be thankful that you don't. Kramisky here keeps ripping me to shreds in this game."

"Hey!"

"I must take my leave of you two, but it was pleasant getting acquainted with the both of you. I'll have to give this Sphere Break a try later. Also remember, keep your chins up, and keep hope alive. Good memories and hope will keep you company through the darkest times.

Live well."

"Live well, sir!"

"Live well, sir!"

The captain made his way out of the mess hall, towards his sleeping chamber. He sat down on the bunk and watched the pristine jewel of Earth approach.

He watched a ultra-massive structure angle into view between Earth and the ship. The structure's true purpose was well known to the captain. After all, the captain was the designer of the structure. A couple of 2 kilometer long Einstein class battleships hovered nearby. However, the two ships were dwarfed by the structure as more of it entered the captain's field of vision.

The structure showed extensive construction, with millions of girders, sparkling welding lights, countless drone cargo haulers bringing materials to the construction zones, several newly built nano-factories churning out materials, and thousands of hull plates being assembled over the girders on the structure.

The words "Bastion class Orbital BattleStation #1" could be made out on a rather large swatch of already assembled hull plating.

The captain shimmered, to reveal the true person undereath the disguise.

The Academician smiled.
    Last edited by Sovereign; January 7, 2004, 19:49.

Leave a comment:

• Sovereign
    replied
    Spira
    Tropical island town of Kilika

A hydrogen fuel cell powered pleasure yacht approached a long wooden dock extending out from Kilika's harbor. Three dock workers scurried over to secure the pleasure yacht, for safety reasons, since the wooden dock was pratically jammed with dozens of sailboats and several small yachts.

The wooden planks creaked as the pitter-patter of feet as the dock workers went about their job securing the pleasure yacht, and swayed as the waves slapped at the dock's support struts.

A man, unremarkable in appearance, with a flat jawline, rounded nose, hazel eyes, and brownish hair emerged from the yacht.

One of the dock workers glanced up and caught the man's eyes.

"How was the trip to Besaid village, bruddha?"

"It was nice."

"How is Besaid these days?"

"Still a laid back village with lazy people, Silas."

"Some things never change, huh, Kamis?"

Kamis shrugged his broad shoulders, while the dock workers and Silas finished securing the yacht to the dock.

Kamis shouted down towards the inside of the yacht.

"Hey, the docking is done! Lets go into town."

A smooth voice responded, albeit in a slightly playful tone.

"I know! I could tell from the whamp sound! Why is it always a whampping sound, not a clunk, boom, bang, or click?"

"I don't know and don't care."

"Sheesh! Why are you so uptight today Kamis? You really need to learn how to loosen up. Remember when we were children? We were always playing around, 28 hours a day!"

"Kalista, thats ancient history. All I'm worried is about the here and now. Does playing help me nowadays? No. Lets go into town."

"Pffft!"

Kalista emerged as Kamis made his way across to the dock. Silas was tying the last knot as he looked up. He couldn't help but stare at Kalista.

As Kalista smiled at Silas. she threw back her long brown-yellow hair out back from her oval face.

Silas grinned back, and tried to stand up to help Kalista over to the dock. He tugged at the rope and felt his hands tug as well. He looked down to figure the fuss.

"Oh, hell."

His hands were somewhat tangled in the knot that he was supposed to finish. Silas spent a few minutes untangling his hands while his cheeks became somewhat red.

Kalista jumped across the gap between the boat and the dock and patted Silas on the shoulder.

"Don't worry about it."

"Your brother already left for town."

"Thanks. See you later, bruddha."

"Take care."

As Kalista walked down the gently swaying dock towards the town, her emerald green eyes took in the sight.

Where the dock ended, paradise began.

A wooden walkway running perpendicular to the dock extended into a tropical forest. A small canal-like waterway ran through the forest, with wooden walkways on both sides. The ground in the southern part of the forest, next to the harbor dock, was submerged, creating a gentle tropical sea-marsh. However, being a sea-marsh, there were no problems associated with a standard fresh-water marsh, such as bugs, noxious smells, or stangant water. A couple hundred of huts rested on or alongside the 100 meter tall trees, with several wooden walkways running high between the trees and on the ground below. Stores, bazaars, cafes, kiddie parks, and even an outdoors school lined the mini-canal on both sea-level and tree-level.

A more modern section of Kilkia, built with the aid of the University Alliance's engineers, rests deeper inside the forest. It has more modern amenities, such as a few skycrapers built around the trees which were even taller in the deeper parts of the forest. There were glass walkways, an extension of the famous Kilika Walk-Canal, several modern streets, and a train station, connecting Kilika to the mainland via the Uela-2X express trains. The Uela-2X trains were electric, and were capable of reaching in excess of 650 kilometers per hour.

Locals called the forest sector "Old Kilika" or "Classical Kilika".

Kalista made her way up to "Old Kilika" and stopped at a food bazaar along the way. She looked over several exotic fruits and decided on a keka, a fruit only naturally found on Kilika Island and Besaid Island. A keka resembles a pineapple shaped and sized like an apple, with a taste that seems to be a blend of a banana and orange flavor.

"Mmmm... sweet, yet sharp as always!"

"Did you hear?"

"What?"

"The Academician loves these kekas so much he has declared that the kekas will be raised in special hydro-domes so that kekas will be available to everyone throughout the empire."

"Really? But what about Kilika and Besaid? They're famous for their keka rum and fruits?"

"The Academician has created a company based here that will control all keka production. The keka hydro-domes on other planets will hire common workers, but the leadership and the executives will only come from Besaid and Kilika."

"Wow. Thats pretty thoughtful of the Academician to try and preserve the Besaid and Kilika's reputation and fame."

"Yeah. He's much more mindful of people and their common desires than Spira's old leaders, the Maesters."

"Thanks once again for the fruit, Jania. I'll buy another batch later on!"

"Sounds good. Catch you later!"

Kalista made her way to her home, one of the huts on the highest branches of the forest. She turned on her liquid crystal television to catch the day's news.

She watched several news stories, then suddenly, the television blanked then just as suddenly, another image appeared on the channel.

University Omni News
    May 22, 2703

Ultra-Priority Breaking News

Kalista stared at the screen and time slowed down as she started thinking.

"There were just three Ultra-Priority breaking news in my lifetime. The first time was when the University first came to us on Spira. The second was when the terrorist attacked Chronopolis and the subsquent speeches from the Academician, and the last one was during the liberation of Earth from the Believers. What could this one be about?"

Time resumed its normal pace as Kalista blinked her eyes as she began watching the television screen again.

A reporter appeared, with a barely suppressed face of shock.

"This just in.

All the members of the Terran Alliance in the Sol, Wolf, and Ross systems have signed a declaration, with all their support. The Academician himself has reviewed the declaration and signed it as well.

Upon recieving the declaration, several hundred Terran refugee ships and several dozen of the famed Terran Battlecruisers are now making their way back to Sol, Wolf, and Ross.

The declaration states that the Terran Alliance wishes to join the University Alliance as a territory, with all the rights, privilieges, and benefits that comes with it.

Henceforth, the Sol, Wolf, and Ross systems are now fully part of the University Alliance."

Leave a comment:

• Mr. President
    replied
    Fire in the Hole!

DRS Gerrard
    Near Epsilon Eridani

"I've found it, Captain."

The words from the sensor station caught Captain Senna's attention. Glancing up from the report on the recent weapons upgrades, he replied, "Excellent. Where is it?"

"It" was, in this situation, a Terran Alliance battlecruiser. With much of the Alliance's fleet destroyed by the University and Believers, and the rest either in the Alpha Centauri system or rumored to have been seized by the Protectorate, this was likely the last of its kind still at large. The Morganites and Drone Republic had been scouring human space for it, thinking it a valuable prize. The weapons and computer systems it carried would be of major interest to the R&D department. Capturing it would also be a major political coup, and serve as the last handful of dirt on the grave of the Terran Alliance.

"It is heading for the Epsilon Eridani system. My readings suggest speed of three stellar travel units, sir."

"Battle stations," Senna ordered. "Radio the rest of the task force. Helm - move to intercept the target."

Senna's orders were to take the ship intact if possible, and destroy it if necessary. Though the Drone ships were allowed to be in this sector by their bilateral agreement with the Cybernetic Consciousness, the Terran ship would be out of their reach if it should succeed in entering a Consciousness solar system.

Suddenly the Terran ship loomed on the main viewer. Even in its current state of disrepair and neglect, it made for an impressive sight. Like a great two-kilometer-long needle it dashed through space, heading for Epsilon Eridani's Oort radius. The electromagnetic sensor function of Senna's MMI picked up unusually high emissions from the battlecruiser's engines. He recognized the signature of overheating and overuse. His tactical readout showed two Space Marine assault ships closing on the Terran from behind. He smiled.

"Open fire, no plasma shards. Aim for non-essential areas. We want that ship intact."

Most Drone destroyers would not have dared to approach a Terran battlecruiser without considerably more backup. The Gerrard was the most advanced model of the Drones' attack ships, but even so, Senna was glad the battlecruiser was undermanned, unsupplied, and unrepaired.

The Gerrard swooped past the battlecruiser, forward rail guns blazing. The high rate of fire punched through the hull in several places, sending debris flying. One innocuous-looking particle set off a large green explosion, which sent the ship listing on its flank. "Direct hit to main power conduit, sir," the sensor operator reported. "Their engine emissions are falling."

"Excellent. Signal the Marines to move in."

It was over very quickly. The Space Marine vessels clamped pressurized bore-tunnels onto the battlecruiser's hull. Several waves of commandos fought their way onto the ship, moving to secure key areas. Less than ten minutes later, they reported reaching the bridge.

"So much," said Senna, "for the invincible Terran Alliance." He smirked.

"Sic semper tyrannis," the helmsman volunteered.

Senna's smile broadened. "Quite," he said. "Radio the Morgan Space Lane Authority. Message . . . we got 'em." All that was left was to wait for the salvage ships.
    Last edited by Mr. President; March 1, 2007, 05:32.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. President
    replied
    Darkest Hour

The Hiverian Fringe

Commodore Franco had argued against the current mission. When he was merely a Captain long ago, the Drone space fleet strategy had been to maintain fighting capabilities on three fronts: the Hiverian Fringe, the Bree Fringe, and the United Nations Peacekeepers border. As he stood in the battle room of the Liberty Bell, his computer terminal blinking lights at him, he knew that there were five battle groups on the Bree Fringe as always. But he was now leading eight more right down Emperor Yang's throat, in what the civilian newspapers would call a suicide mission if they ever heard about it.

He sighed, and glanced over the registry of the ships under his command. He recognized most of the names, for he had authorized their deployment to Morgan space just a few short months earlier, to counter the advance of the Terran Alliance Fleet. This mission meant drawing down the numbers facing United Nations Peacekeepers space.

They had tried to explain this to the civilian administrators in the Defense Department. Unfortunately, the new secretary had an MBA from Rigel University. Lord only knew how he got into the military command. Politics. Franco shook his head.

He would have expected even such a man to understand terms like "spreading forces too thin" or "surprise attack". But no. The Senate was furious about the loss of the ships, and it wanted to punish Emperor Yang.

How exactly this was supposed to punish him, Franco didn't know. If Yang's forces fired on his ships, the Drone Republic would have an excuse to go to war. The problem was that, in spite of civilian bravado, no-one knew for sure how such a war would pan out.

Not to mention the fact that if the Hiverian fleet was to fire the first shot here, in a surprising manner, in no-man's-land, on the Empire's doorstep, it could take out eight battle groups and leave the Republic's home space wide open.

"Sir, we have reached the last known co-ordinates of the Levar."

"Good," Franco replied. "Order all ships to hold position, defensive formation. Begin broadcasting the message."

The communications officer's hands flashed across his keyboard. Within a minute, the message was being beamed into the unknown space of Hiverian territory. It had both audio and video components recorded by President Adams several days before.

She sat at a solid wood desk, in front of a large Free Drone flag, speaking in her sternest tone of voice.

"People of the Greater Hive Empire. Your Emperor and your government have deceived and betrayed you. Sheng-ji Yang is responsible for the deaths of millions of people and for sowing fear throughout the Human Sphere.

"His guilt tarnishes every Hiverian citizen. But the Free Drone Republic is giving the people of the Hive a chance to redeem themselves.

"All you must do is turn Sheng-ji Yang over to us. If he is not surrendered within seventy-two hours, we will be forced to take action."

It would broadcast on a continuous loop, until Franco gave the order to deactivate it. Since he had no idea where the nearest sensor relay was, there was nothing to do until he made contact or until 72 hours from now . . .

. . . at which time Franco's orders were to cross the border.

Leave a comment:

• Lonestar
    replied
    Sluis Van

It had been the largest Protectorate force in one place Fleet Admiral Fel had ever seen. For a man who had seen the galaxy throughout his career, it was still astonishing. 4 complete Fleet Groups were assembled at Sluis Van, leaving only 3 to Defend the Protectorate if something went Awry.

He was in the briefing room of his new Flagship, the Battlecrusier Alcarondas. It was sleek and graceful, it's hull black with a Gold trim as befitting it's namesake. The only thing more beautiful, he thought, would have to be his wife. Who, incidently, was sitting amoungst the flag officers assembled, her own 2nd Flotilla having been assigned to this event.

Soontir Fel looked at the Fleet Commanders. Admiral Gomez, the short angry man who'd been his roommate at the Acadamy. He was a competant if not particularly brillant tactician. He commanded the 1st Fleet Group.

Admiral Craig "Ando" Andersen, the Commander of 2nd Fleet Group. He was a tall bald man who was fighting a loosing battle againest weight gain, but no one could doubt the skill of the invasion of Sluis Van he pulled off.

Admiral Sierra Christensen, a woman who was married to her career. Her 4th Fleet Group had smashed a Bree counterattack at Eoforwic.

General William Chiu, leader of Army Group One, he'd been promoted after AG1's commander had been killed during the Sluis Van Landing.

General Andrew Dubois, whose AG4 had successfully taken the Sluis Van capitol of Gyongos a mere two weeks after the the ground campaign started.

and General Rachele Rojas, Whose AG9 had just arrived from Roving.

Over a 1.5 million troops, all told. Hundreds of ships. And that didn't include the Lesser Flotilla, Corps, and Logistical commanders.

" Thanks for being here today," Fel began. " The General Staff has come to a decision. As it stands, the war is unwinnable."

There was some murmering the room, but the highest ranking Flag officers watched him, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

"Ubiqtorate has recieved word that our Gorn co-belligerants launched a 4-prong offensive 2 weeks ago. Seven Bree Fleet groups have been pulled away to deal with the Threat. That leaves only 6 Fleet Groups in the area to deal with us. Spread out over a dozen systems. This has given us an opportunity to expidte the End of the war. While it likely won't mean the Protectorate will win big, it'll be enough to see the Gorn running roughshod over the Bree.

Fel clicked a button, and a astronomical display appeared over the Briefing table.

"This is Sab Abar. As you know, the Bree use a Material called 'hypermatter' to fuel there ships. It has a enerfy-to-fuel ratio 4 times higher than that of anti-matter. Only Sin drives are more efficient and effective. Hypermatter is extracted from Neutron stars, Quasers, and Pulsars. Sab Abar is the only inhabitable system near the Hawking Cluster, a cluster of over 200 oif these unusual stars. Because of the high radiation background, Sab Abar has extensive infastructure around the system to allow the operation of the massive Hypermatter refinement plants.

Fel clicked his tongue.

"Ubiqtorate estimates that no less than 48% of The Bree's Hypermatter flows from this location. Our goal is to seize it and put the squeeze on them. The Ranger ship Wooden Whale is on station, and has kept us up to date with Bree disposition of forces. There are only two Fleet groups there. Including auxilaries.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, obviously our goal is to begin one of the biggest offensive in Human history. If we win, The Protectorate's Place in the Human Sphere is assured. If we lose, I'll be honest, we're f--ked.

There was some laughter at that. Fel was glad to see that. As long as you can laugh, you aren't defeated his father had told him. He began to lay out the specifics of the plan...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X