Mind or Muscle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western Sea, MY 2212

“Enemy sighted, Sir,” the gunnery junior officer said.

“Very good,” Captain Sihn said. The young man had a grim look on his face. Now was the time, oh yes! “Distance to enemy?”

“Two sectors,” gunnery said. Then she added, “First data coming in. Spartan foil, old design: synthmetal armor, impact cannon. Looks like its been around a while.”

“Do they see us yet?”

“It doesn’t look like it, Sir.”

“I wouldn’t expect they’d know The Hive set up a sea base at this choke point,” the captain stated. “With this very idea in mind, in fact – interdiction of hostile forces, be they Pirate or Spartan. Helm?”

“Captain?” the voice on the comm said.

“Tell the Base Supervisor that enemy Spartan craft sighted, and that they are to lift the mooring gate immediately. As soon as they are open go to maximum speed. Guns, target the foil and start shooting at maximum range. With synthmetal armor all we need is one shot,” he said.

Minutes later the quay drop door groaned and then started cycling. Their small artificial bay started surging as the rough seas added some chop to the placid waters. As soon as the doors started to open the ship shifted, tacking to the right and then surging forward.

It didn’t take long to get the Spartan craft into view, and shortly after that the long range area of effect impact rounds started falling. The Spartans, true to their heritage, wasted no time and tried to wheel about to get their guns to bear. But, unfortunately for them, they had been caught going north and the Hive craft Collective Effort Revenge was moving west, catching them broadside. Round fell, creating a spray all around the Spartan craft. The green grew finally got its mark, and the first round connected.

White sea spray was replaced by billowing black smoke, and a secondary explosion ripped through the hull. A second impact round connected and the rear half of the ship seemed to crumple but, amazingly, remained afloat.

“Status?” the captain barked.

“Spartan craft listing and dead in the water,” gunnery replied.

“Are they showing colors?”

Gunnery snorted. “Spartans? No chance. See? They’re trying to get their guns toward us even now.”

“Finish them off,” Sihn said.

Even as he did so the Spartan gun erupted, sending an un-erring impact round that hit the bow. Metal and vaporized water filled the air.

“Guns! Finish them!” the captain yelled over the bedlam.

Finally the guns got their bearings and issued a single retort. Its parabolic arc hit the wounded Spartan amid ship. There was a loud explosion, evidently the impact cannon finally succumbing to the raging fires, and the craft settled deeper. The bow angled up.

“There she goes,” gunnery said as the smoke cleared.

Almost majestically the Spartan slid beneath the waves.

The crew cheered, but not the captain. He was lost in his own thoughts of his father, the first captain of a barely seaworthy Unity transport, his service to The Hive, and how he had been lost with his entire crew to the Spartans, likely this very foil.

“That was for you, Dad,” he whispered to himself.

*~*~*~*

SSCaTC, Sparta Command – SPARTA 2212

Santiago sat in her darkened office still clutching the latest intelligence report given to her by Captain Clinton. Nearly half of the entire Spartan sea fleet destroyed in one turn. The Hive had destroyed the ARGOS and the Peacekeepers had used long-range artillery to destroy the ACHILLES. Santiago had been stunned by the news when she had gotten it, too stunned to even acknowledge the salute from Clinton when she left the room.

She kept reminding herself that not all was lost. The Gaians and Peacekeepers were about to see what the Spartans could due to them. As soon as those espionage ships did their jobs Sparta would be gaining a windfall of knowledge.

Santiago jumped as someone knocked on her door.

“COME!”

Captain Clinton walked into the darkened room, the only light coming from the doorway.

“Colonel a report from Captain Smith!”

“What is it?” Santiago asked quickly.

“Captain Smith reports that the vanguard elements of the army have reached the base boundary of the Hive city. When they arrived at the monolith site they found a Hive impact rover regiment there as well. Smith reports she lead the first elements against them and destroyed them with only a few causalities. They now control the monolith site and effectively cut-off the Hive in that area from further incursions onto our soil. Captain Smith reports that she should have the whole army, on-line, within two turns. Reinforcements will be arriving in stages which should bring the total armies strength to nine impact rover regiments.” Clinton reported enthusiastically.

“Excellent news Clinton. Send my compliments to Captain Smith. I will be out in few minutes to examine the tactical situation.” Santiago replied as she stood up and turned on her lights and adjusted her uniform.

Clinton saluted and Santiago promptly returned it this time.

Santiago watched Clinton turn and leave and realized that perhaps not everything was lost. For all of Yang’s power he would still have to slug it out with Spartan infantry and armor and that is something that will be a lot harder than he might expect.

*~*~*~*

Workers Nest, MY 2213

The dull sounds of impact cannon fire echoed with a series of dull thuds. But, it was soon over. Two men stood at the fortified Bay Door Two and looked north toward the monolith and fungus-mired river.

“No more transmissions for People’s Assault Rover Squad 15, Base Supervisor,” his newly promoted staff sergeant stated.

Sims Burke simply nodded. “Have artillery open fire. How many targets can we see?”

“Three, Sir. All are high morale Spartan impact rovers. They’re all guns, sir. No armor. The lead unit moved exceptionally fast and must be their elite unit.”

“Can we target all of them?” Sims asked.

“No, only the lead unit on the monolith.”

“Do it. Recall one of the rovers and the trailing plasma armor defensive to block their zone of control, and have two foils converge on our position to aid in bombardment,” he said.

“Sir, the lead rover will be able to attack next cycle, if they wish. They have unimpeded access via the river.”

Sims snorted. “Let them attack. We’ve got more than enough defensive units, and if they survive we’ll cut them down. Has the transport arrived yet?”

“No, but they should before the Spartans can consolidate their forces. They have another impact rover and a probe team.”

“Very good. We can’t match Spartan fighting prowess, but the People are tough and Spartans will not be able to breach our city’s warrens.”

Then he commented, almost to himself. “Let them come.”

*~*~*~*

Two sectors west of the Hive base – SPARTA 2213

“Yes Colonel I understand but what you are asking is impossible.”

Captain Smith watched Colonel Santiago’s face twist slightly as if she had hit her with her own hand. The reports from the 2nd impact regiment had revealed that the Hive had not been idle when it came to the defense of the base. They had ample soldiers to defend the installation. In fact, even if the entire Spartan army were on site it would still not be enough to take the base most likely.

“Captain I did not send you all the way out there and not fight. You have to do something?” Santiago fired back angrily.

“Colonel the tactical situation is what it is. We simply cannot storm the city with the forces I have. To do so would be suicide. However, we are here now and I have ample enough units to hold this spot. In fact, I can hold it indefinitely now. With the monolith healing our wounds as quickly as they are received I see no reason why would have to retire from this position. As I said I can hold this position indefinitely and in truth with only a portion of the Spartan army. In time, we can upgrade the units here with more armor and if I read the last report correctly better weapons.” Smith replied somberly.

“Yes, the new gatling lasers are a vast improvement of the old lasers and are even more powerful than impact particle cannons. As soon as we complete a few more rover units with the new design they will be yours. I have bad news on our efforts against the Peacekeepers. A lone Peacekeeper foil destroyed our espionage ship just short of their goal. I was unaware the Peacekeepers had a fleet. However, our efforts against the Gaians should pay off next turn if all goes well.” Santiago said as she rubbed the side of her face.

Smith could see she was fatigued. She knew Santiago would not sleep regularly while combat operations were ongoing.

“Colonel when should I get the reinforcements?”

“Two armored impact rover regiments will be at your position in three turns. A scout recon rover crew and another unarmored impact rover regiment will be there in two turns. From Victory City another rover regiment is completed and fully trained and it will be sent to your add in next turn. We have more units nearing completion and I intend to have them armed with the new Gatling lasers.”

“Colonel as I indicated we can hold here with the forces we have until the rest of the army gets here in a few turns. I have positioned some forces to the rear as my reserve as well. What I would suggest is that you create a second division for the new troops and deploy them north of our position. They would act as a rapid response force should any other Hive troops land. Our problem here is that the Hive had too much time to prepare for our arrival. In the future we need to hit them when they land.” Smith replied confidently.

“I agree. So you can contain the Hive, is that correct?”

“Yes Colonel. They can pound us to the cows come home with artillery and it will not make a bit of difference. As soon as the barrage lifts we will be healed, instant medics. I will dig in here and hold this position. If the Hive tries to cross the fungus fields and attack they will get bogged down right in front of us and we will hit them. It’s not the best we could have hoped for but at least they are bottled up for now. Once I have more forces here I can rearrange my regiments and create a containment zone. We also have the advantage of knowing the terrain behind us. I have fall back positions that are just as strong as this one. Once I have more forces I will deploy a second group to the south with reserves to the rear. The Hive are strong in their trenches but once they come out and face us on open ground I will tear their hearts out. They will have no chance against us if they try to make an assault against us. They just don’t have the troops for that. So in essence we have achieved one of goals: containment.”

“All right Captain, keep me appraised of the situation. Any changes contact me immediately. Sparta Command out!”

*~*~*~*

Worker’s Nest, MY 2213

Base Supervisor Burke listened to the report with approval. The rover that had flanked the Spartans along the river from the west had been able to sneak in and deliver a decisive blow to one of their elite rovers. The short but intense battle had caught the other two rovers at unawares and they had taken some incidental damage. Exhausted, the Hive rover team was virtually a sitting duck if the Spartans decided to return fire when they regrouped.

Burke smiled, and then ordered the artillery and foils to open fire.

Round after round of area of effect fire pounded the Spartan rovers. They were in a shallow river valley with no cover and both of the remaining unarmored rovers took a few direct hits. They were hulled, but still operational at about 50 percent of maximum. Burke had no illusions that the damage took them out of the fight. These were Spartans, after all, and it was likely they’d fight and then repair critical systems at the monolith. That was regrettable, but expected. The First Citizen expected every citizen of The Hive to do his or her duty, and if that meant a war of attrition then so be it. He knew he was receiving reinforcements almost every cycle, and the Spartans were, paradoxically, further from resupply on their own continent. There were four Hive transports running between the mainland and their foothold constantly.

It would not be long before they could release another strike force. Each was eminently expendable as long as they fulfilled their purpose: test the mettle of the Spartans, keep them off balance, and allow additional bases to be consolidated on the Spartan mainland.

*~*~*~*

Two sectors west of Hive base – SPARTA 2214

“Your loses?”

“We lost the 5th impact regiment during the sneak attack. In addition, artillery from the coast, I am assuming it came from Hive attack foils, bombarded us as well. However, in the counter attack we annihilated the Hive rover regiment to our south that had launched the sneak attack along with the destructing of a Hive rover regiment hidden in the fungus to our southeast. In addition, a plasma-armored defender was critically damaged in the attack and was forced to retreat out of the fungus. In all, we gave a hell of bashing to them and we should be up and operational by next turn. The effects of the monolith are already kicking in, so to speak. The myrmidons are ready for another fight if we have too.” Captain Smith completed her report to Santiago.

“Good. At least we are not trading rover for rover.” Santiago paused for a minute or two as she collected her thoughts. “I have some more news for you. You should have more myrmidons next turn to help your command. A scout company and another rover impact regiment. However, the replacements that left Victory City encountered a Hive patrol just four-sector north east of the city. They could not launch an attack right away so I am waiting for word from the commander of that unit as to when he can proceed. Lastly, the armored impact rovers are having a slight problem getting through the fungus to your west. I would expect a delay of a turn or two to their anticipated arrival date.”

“That’s not good Colonel. Essentially you are telling me the forces I have here now or next turn is all I will get for perhaps five more turns?”

“I am afraid so Captain. We will soon have completed our new gatling laser rovers to send but they will not get to your position for some time.” Santiago reply seemed to carry an air of defeat to them.

“I can hold our position here as long as I can we use the monolith. It will help fortify the myrmidons but to be honest I doubt now I can hold it for as long as I had thought unless I get more forces.” Smith fired back.

“I know, I know.” Santiago snapped back. “I am committing ½ of all Spartan cities to war production. The other half will be very busy on completing a new infrastructure improvements that we have to do.”

“Guns over butter Colonel?” Smith replied sarcastically.

“No!” Santiago snapped back more irritated. “Captain the improvements will increase our efficiency which will generate more income for us to devote to the war. It is critical to our survival. In addition, we will be building in all of those cities military academies just like the one here at Sparta. It should improve the quality of troops we can raise and our cities defenses.”
    “Colonel I will have to trust your judgment on this one.” Smith said apologetically.

“Yes you will. You might be happy to know that this technology comes to us from the Gaians. Our espionage teams stole it right out from under them. In addition, I ordered them to plant evidence to incriminate Chairman Yang. I can only hope that the stupid Gaians will cancel their treaty with Yang thus depriving him of vital resources and trade. I can only hope at this point it will also drive the Gaians into our camp.”

“Yes that would be wonderful at this point. Have the pirates been able to stop any of the Hive transports?” Smith asked hopefully.

“We don’t know. As far as we know at this time Yang has complete domination of the sea between our two continents. So it is more critical than ever that you hold. I would suggest that when your scout recon team arrive you use them to secure your rear areas to prevent Yang from sneaking soldiers up behind you.”

“Thank you Colonel but I have already thought of that. The problem I have now is that Yang can pick the time and place of his attacks while I am now pinned down here holding this ground. Tactically and strategically its not a good situation for me and the myrmidons to be in.”

Santiago did not say a word for several minutes she just stared at Smith via the vid-phone. “Captain all I can say is hold. We are doing our best to supply you and re-arm you but you have to fall back on your training and the fearsome fighting ability of Spartans myrmidons! Santiago out!”

Smith watched the screen go black and wondered if her counterpart in the Yang base suffered the same hardships she had to bear. Lack of troops, lack of supplies and the lack of coherent plan. The war was not going well but regardless of what would happen on this field of battle she would not want to live under Yang’s rule. She had seen the sullen, downtrodden look of the soldiers she had fought. They were drones in the very worst sense of it. Even Domai’s drones fought with vigor and determination, they were fighting for a cause. These Hive soldiers seemed motivated only by fear.

Comment

Virtual Planetary Council, MY 2215

The wash of static subsided and the upper torsos of the seven human factions became clear. Domai was in his high collared worker’s suit, Lal in his flowing Indian robes and UN insignia, Deirdre Skye in a multi-layered green tunic, Svengaard in a weather beaten brown leather jacket, and Santiago. For this occasion Yang decided to wear a People’s Suit, which was a medium blue with a simple collar and grey buttons down the front. It had clean lines, but it was austere.

“Council delegates,” Governor Pravin Lal started. “First Citizen Yang has called a Council to discuss the election of the Planetary Governor for the next decade.” Pravin’s voice was crisp, but tight. It was obvious he did not like the implications of anyone challenging his authority on the Council, much less when that person was his Pactmate. “I would like to start by thanking all of you for taking the time to debate this important subject. The Planetary Council can be a forum for finding a common purpose, and uniting humanity…”

Svengaard coughed, and it sounded something like, “Buhlshiiht!”

Pravin ignored him. He continued, “…behind the leader that will give us all the best chance at a better life. Our rules for the Council are simple. First Citizen Yang has called for a vote. The two leaders that have been nominated according to our protocol are myself and First Citizen Yang.”

Pravin’s image looked toward Yang. “How do you vote, First Citizen?” he asked, as if he didn’t know.

“The Hive votes for First Citizen Yang,” he said without preamble.

Pravin was puzzled for a moment since he was expecting a short speech. When it was clear it was not forthcoming he continued.

“Lady Skye of the Gaians?”

“We vote for First Citizen Yang,” she said, smiling at the First Citizen, who was impassive.

“Svengaard?” Pravin continued.

“Abstain,” he said. He was looking at something else and not paying much attention to the Council session.

“Datajack Rose?”

“First Citizen Yang!” she said with enthusiasm. Sven looked up, annoyed.

“Forman Domai?”

“Abstain,” he said in a clear voice.

“As the representative of the United Nations, the Peacekeepers, I vote for myself to continue as Governor of Chiron,” Pravin said.

Yang almost smiled. The gambit had paid off. With the Gaian’s Empth Guild their influence had increased, and the gift of Resonance by the Hive to the Gaians just before the vote had undoubtedly influenced the outcome somewhat. The Data Angels had just concluded a Pact with the Hive in the last week, so their support was likely, although not guaranteed. In the end they had voted for him and not Pravin, which was the entire point of the Pact since the Angels were small and isolated. In other words, they were a distraction in all areas but diplomacy. Since the Pirates and Drones had abstained it was now mathematically impossible for Pravin to succeed to a second term as Planetary Governor.

Evidently that realization hadn’t sunk in yet to Pravin.

“Coronal Santiago? How do you vote?” Lal said.

*~*~*~*

SSCaTC, Sparta Command – SPARTA 2215

Santiago sat there for several minutes and said nothing. She could see that Lal was becoming anxious due to the silence but protocol dictated that they would have to wait until she responded.

“The Spartan Federation abstains. I see no reason to support either candidate at this time. Chairman Yang is a ruthless, honorless fiend and I am revolted that your worthless scum will not see him for what he is: a maniac. You Gaians and Peacekeepers support his climb to power when all you are doing is dooming yourself to live under his yoke of oppression! Sparta is at war with the Hive because our people value freedom from tyranny! We have principals, honor, integrity and loyalty that bind all Spartans to each other. Not a single Spartan city will ever fall into Yang’s hands. I will order the destruction of that city before I will and my people are to become mindless drones. You have all been warned. If Sparta should fall then he will turn his eyes and his appetite on you and you will all become his slaves.”

Santiago reached over and closed the channel. There was no reason to listen to the result or hear any more debate about the issue. The result was pre-ordained by Yang and his skillful behind the scenes diplomacy. How foolish the other powers were to believe that Yang would honor any long-term arrangement. If the Hive were to conquer Sparta and then the Pirates the power Yang would posses at that time would be immeasurable. He simply could order the other powers to capitulate or face his wrath. They would have no choice but to do so.

Santiago stood up and walked out of her office followed by her myrmidon bodyguards. She went down into the command center and over to the central command station.

“Colonel, did the vote goes as expected?” Major West asked.

“Worse than I had feared. The Gaians actually voted to support a police state over a brother democracy. They have no honor or integrity these Gaians. That was the most surprising element to the vote.” Santiago replied quickly.

“I have the action plan you requested.” West handed her a shiny computer disc. “I understand why you wanted to prepare these measures but I hope it will not be required. I don’t know what chills me to the soul the most, this action plan or the possibility that Yang might actually force our hands to use it.”

“I know, I know and I hated having to even ask you to prepare it but we need to look at every eventuality. I will not suffer any Spartan to fall under his yoke. It is clear to me that scorched earth is our only and probably our best chance to slow his advance should his forces break out of the containment zone area. There is still a vast desert between Yang and us but we need to inform our citizens of the duty they must perform. No Spartan will fall under his yoke of slavery.” Santiago slammed her fist down hard on the map table causing several of the duty officers to stop and look.

*~*~*~*

Worker’s Nest, MY 2216

“Bombardment complete, Sir. The four Spartan rovers are damaged between 10 and 50 percent,” the tactical officer said.

“That will have to do,” Base Supervisor Burke stated. “If they want to come they’ll have to fight through our ECM plasma garrisons. In fact, they’ll have to, and if they don’t then the impact rover will make mince meat of them.”

“We’re losing units this way, Sir. This is not a favorable battle of attrition,” his junior officer stated.

“I know,” he said in quiet voice. “Reinforcements will be arriving soon that will fix that problem. And attacking the base itself will be doubly difficult not that all of our garrisons are outfitted with ECM. Combining the base, perimeter defense, sensor, and ECM will be difficult.”

“Yes, but these are Spartan elites. They may find a way.”

“They may. But it will be a one way trip.”

*~*~*~*

Two sectors west of Workers Nest – SPARTA 2216

The last impact regiment raced across the desert firing valiantly at the assembled Hive forces. Captain Smith was in the lead and she was shouting over the company frequency to urge her myrmidons along.

She had lost three regiments today and now she was committing her reserve to the battle. There was no doubt in her mind as to the outcome of this battle. It would be the same as the other three; defeat. Even though the Spartan myrmidons were better soldiers the Hives targeting systems had the advantage of the computerized aiming. Even assault rifles and recoilless rifles could take out unarmored rovers and unprotected crews.

A recoilless rifle hit her rover and caused it to flare up like a fireball. Smith had only seconds of life left and she used those second the best she could. She reached out and hit the emergency log dispatch key and then the auto destruct. Captain Smith could not fall into the hands of the Hive.

*~*~*~*

Worker’s Nest, MY 2217

“They’re all destroyed, Sir. Our ECM and sensors were too much for them,” the tactical officer said.

“Now we’re about even, then,” Burke stated. “And if we can trade one for one we’ll be able to keep our base, and maybe expand.”

“Yes, Sir,” his tacs officer said.

Burke looked north, knowing there would be more Spartans. At least now they wouldn’t have a monolith. It had inexplicably disappeared when his defenders had moved north to repair themselves. But, that was a good thing. Without the monolith the Spartans would have to wade through entrenched Hive defenders. Granted, the Spartans had much better morale, but the Hive made up for it in defense. In the end, they were evenly matched, or perhaps with a nod to The Hive.

*~*~*~*

Two sectors northeast of Victory City- SPARTA 2217

Even from two sectors away the resulting nuclear inferno that engulfed Victory City was beyond belief. The approaching Hive soldiers must have seen the same event, how could they not. Santiago had ordered the city destroyed, burn it to the ground had been her exact orders. No Spartan City would ever fall into the hands of the Hive. No Spartan citizen would become a mindless Hive drone.

Nearly 90% of the population had opted to take the “sleeping pills” before the charges were activated. The cyanide tablets were kick and painless. The nuclear fires were not.

Santiago had ordered a few of the garrison defenders to leave, to fall back, on more defendable Spartan cities. SSCaTC had decided that nearly the entire western half of the continent was now under, or would be under Hive control.

Sparta had failed. Eventually Yang would reach the core Spartan cities were there were good lines of communication and defense but no in the outlining cities. If they were threatened they would also suffer the same fate that befell Victory City: destruction.

It was not an order Santiago had ever wanted to give but by destroying the cities, regardless of the penalties, the end result was the same: deny the Hive any chance to profit from their. War.

Santiago secretly hoped that deep down Yang would understand what lengths Sparta would go to defend itself. The question now, did Yang care or not.

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2218

First Citizen Yang and General Whay watched the Spartan city, captured from the Drones decades ago, go up in flames. The Hive infantry and rovers were still two sectors away so they were unable to do anything but watch the confabulation. Two the west were a Hive transport and foil, which had just finished bombarding the city when the regular series of detonations reduced the city’s spires to so much rubble. It had been quickly clear that the damage had nothing to do with the bombardment, or the impending military stride. The commander had quickly sent the images to The Hive for instruction.

“The Spartans are adopting a scorched earth policy,” General Whay commented. “They are scrapping what they can, removing military units, and burning the city to the ground.”

“And in doing so losing the advantage they may have gained in the war against the Drones,” Yang continued. “It is a tactic of desperation.”

“But not defeat,” Whay retorted. “Victory City had been undependable since there were no Spartan bases to give support. The Drone cities are to the south, but they are unreliable and unlikely to help their conquers. It will help the Spartans avoid a liability they can ill afford, and deny us a base of operations.”

“That is true,” Yang noted. “This simply shifts our focus south. The Drones will be our base of operations in the southern Spartan continent. They have no military to speak of, and will have no support from the Spartans.”

Whay nodded.

“In other matters, has the first Pirate base been conquered?”

Whay nodded again. “Yes, and the four foils and defensive units are in position. Additonal Pirate base should fall in a methodically succession. Admiral Loica has decided to have a slow and steady war, opting for caution and prudence.”

“That is in agreement with the assessment of relative threats. The Pirates are not much more than a nuisance. The Spartans are the true threat,” Yang stated. “Has the bottleneck for troops at Worker’s Nest been resolved?”

“No, First Citizen. Twelve units are awaiting transport, and production is quickly outstripping the ability of our transport fleet to keep up with demand. Two additional transports have been constructed, but it will not be enough. The land bridge is not complete yet either, and will not be for a decade or more. We need better transport ability, especially if the planned invasion of the Spartan mainland is to be more than an annoyance for the Spartans.”

“Agreed,” Yang said. Then he looked at the still image of Victory City as the last tower succumbed to shaped charges.

Any victory against the Spartans would be fruitless unless it was truly overwhelming. That much was certain.

*~*~*~*

SSCaTC, Sparta Command – SPARTA, MY 2218

“Is this a trick Santiago?”

“No trick Svensgaard. I am turning over Thermopylae City over to you. All I ask in return is that you transport any of my people, troops and terraformers to my nearest base. Is this a deal?”

Santiago watched the screen for several minutes as Svensgaard deliberated with his advisors. It was a masterful stroke. By turning the base of the Pirates there might be a chance, albeit a slim one, that Svensgaard might actually commit ground forces to the battle on the continent. In addition, all of the probe units and garrisons stationed at the city would be quickly returned to greater Sparta to be used in the defense of the homeland. Lastly, Santiago hated the idea of ordering the destruction of another city. It had been the worst decision of her life to make, to order over 5,000 people to die due to the fact she had failed them. She only hoped that this time, this arrangement would spare her people and reinforce Sparta as a whole. Greater Sparta had been set-up, organized for just this possibility. Cities were tightly packed to aid in defense and good lines of transport had been built. If war should come to greater Sparta then it would be a war she could fight.

“We agree!” Svensgaard replied happily.

“The codes will be sent to you as soon as my people, troops and equipment are moved. Santiago out.”

The line went dead.

“Do you think this will work?” Major West questioned.

“I am not sure. The city was the smallest we have and it was isolated. I can only hope that Svensgaard will quickly reinforce it. If it falls to the Hive then so be it. It had no infrastructure since the worms had destroyed them all nearly a decade ago. No, it was far more a liability than an asset. I am also spared having to order its destruction.” Santiago said wearily. “I did not want to do that again, ever, if possible.”

“I know Colonel. I had several friends stationed in that city. I also have to inform you that Foreman Domai is very upset at our actions. It seems he feels that the deaths of so many of us his half-man/women who were providing manual labor for the city was a breech of our treaty. He has now declared vendetta against us.”

Santiago began to laugh but it was not a laugh full of humor and enjoyment. “You mean to tell me that idiot Domai is now siding against us?” Santiago said as she wiped a tear from her eye.

“I am afraid so.”

“Well he has less honor than I thought he did. I suppose he thinks that by declaring vendetta against us Yang will go easy against him. Well, he just might, I am sure Yang needs another servant around and Domai is just the man for the job. Worthless men!” She spat the last few words.

“Colonel, your orders?”

“All units have been recalled. Re-deploy all available units to the perimeter cities. Continue with construction of crèche’ facilities and defensive structures. We must be ready!”

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2219

First Citizen Yang looked over the technical reports on Bioadaptive Resonance and for the Gatling Gun. Of course, the gatling was now instantly obsolete since bioadaptive resonance was 20 percent more powerful. What was more important is that production had been diverted and two supply crawlers allocated to finish the prototype in the coming year. Next year all available production would be switched to the more advanced weapon system.

The two technologies had been acquired from two alien artifacts. What was more amazing is that the aggressive harvesting of anomalies and Unity pods had yielded four others, most of which were en route to Hive cities to be linked with network nodes. There was the distinct possibility that, as the isle of the deep, mindworms, and transports found artifact that no available network node would be available to unlock its secrets.

That, of course, was unacceptable. A few of the newer production bases would have to have their production altered to accommodate additional network nodes, even if their energy production did not warrant the investment. There were plenty of Hive cities. With the capture of the Pirate base 26 cities were under Hive control. Soon the two Drone cities would be added, and several more Pirate bases in the very near future.

Other problems were of a logistical nature, which was the extreme amount of war materials that could not get to the front. Transports were being constructed to fix this problem, but they were slow. Moreover, likely targets were a long way away. By the time the land bridge was complete it would be far too late since that bridge linked Hive territory to the southern continent.

Perhaps a mid continent land bridge would be better? It would certainly be shorter.

Yang started looking over his maps to find a possible place. When he did a quick conference with General Whay would be in order.

Comment

SSCaTC, Sparta Command – SPARTA 2219

Santiago watched the command team work feverishly as they tried to win yet another battle exercise set up by Santiago. In this exercise she had laid out a scenario in which the Hive moved northward from the their newly acquired bases that they had captured from the Drones. In addition she had thrown in a wrinkle this time and added an amphibious landing to the north that had come from the Peacekeepers.

The exercise was proving difficult for the team to deal with. The pressures of a two-pronged attack had depleted the reserves needed to “plug” the gap and now every counter move the Hive or Peacekeepers made Sparta had no direct answer.

The command team had been working since noon yesterday, over 26 hours and the scenario was almost over. Santiago looked up at the main display on the wall and was shocked to see so many of the Spartan cities under Hive or Peacekeeper control. In reality, that would never occur. She had already instituted plans with each Governor-General to prepare their people for the eventual destruction of their cities, if required. It was not a meeting she had wanted to hold but it had to be done. The Governor-Generals were shocked to here the full extent of which the Hive had grown. Their economic and industrial capacity seemed enormous. One of the Governor-Generals had likened it to the United States during Earths Second World War. Even though Japan had been trained and far more disciplined warriors the sheer economic power of the United States pre-ordained the results of the war even before it had started. The same situation applied here.

Santiago watched the map display as another Spartan city fell to the Hive. She grimaced as the city changed from Spartan black to Hive blue but she knew deep down that when the time came the city and her people would never become Hive slaves.

If the Hive moved quickly within the decade then she would catch Sparta unready for the challenge ahead. If she had time to prepare then Sparta would have a chance. However the long-term results were already pre-ordained it seemed. The sheer might of the Hive was now an unstoppable force and only if the other leaders on Chiron would ban against them would Sparta have a chance. She knew that such an event was totally unlikely so it was time to prepare her for the tough decisions she would soon need to make.

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2220

Yang could hardly believe his People’s good luck. In the last decade the People’s intrepid explorers had found eight alien artifacts. Two had already been linked to a network node, yielding the significant technologies of Optical Computers and Advanced Subatomic Theory. It was difficult to imagine the breakthroughs that would occur when the other six were successfully brought to Hive territory. Some were far a field, but most were either on their way to a node or near a Hive roadway.

That, at least for the moment, was overshadowed by the most recent technological advance in Doctrine: Initiative. Not only would this allow the construction of amphibious troops but also cruisers and transports. Cruisers were of little interest, but transports would allow movement of twice as many troops to an intended battle zone. They were more expensive, but that was acceptable since industrial capacity was not a concern at the moment. Even better was the Special Project Maritime Control Center. The intrinsic ability of this Project would give sea-based units extra experience, and allow much greater movement. Even ponderous old foil transports would move 67 percent faster! Considering The Hive’s opponents were the Pirates and the Spartans, who were far away, this was Project of great value. By a happy coincidence a city had been accumulating minerals for a long time and would finish the Project in the coming year.

Resonance guns had been prototyped this last year by the application of two supply crawlers, and the new cruiser hull would be prototyped in the next year or two. All cities had been ordered to start production of new naval and land units, and by the time a significant number were completed two land bridges would be finished or almost finished.

Topping off these coalescing plans were the construction of more bases, with the total now at 26, and more terraformers. The need for bases was now obvious since they were useful to re-home military units provide new production centers. Formers would be used for the land bridges, and then to construct roads to the heart of Spartan territory. The Pirates would be pressed mercilessly, but not as hard as the Spartans. Three Pirate foils had arrived to try to liberate the captured base. Little did they know that five Hive foils and two probe foils were waiting for them.

Yang was pleased for the People. Their hard work was finally yielding the power needed to maintain their vision, and help humanity succeed in achieving the unity lost on dead, fractious Earth and the Unity mission disaster.

*~*~*~*

SSCaTC, Sparta Command – SPARTA 2220

“Thirty turns!” Santiago bellowed at the top of her lungs.

“I am afraid so Colonel. The recent reductions in resources, namely Victory City, have set our research capabilities back. If you will remember many of the drones we captured at the city was the core of the Drones scientific community. They added a great deal to our research program. In addition there was a network node there.” Master Technician Smith replied calmly.

Santiago rubbed her face and then her eyes. Smith could see she was tired the stress of the past turns had worn on her more than the public knew.

“Alright, do your best. At this point that is all I can ask. Whatever scientific advancements you can add at this point that might be of use to us, to Sparta please let Major West know immediately.” Santiago replied tiredly.

“Major West?” Smith was puzzled. In the past he had always reported directly to Santiago.

“I am taking command of our forces in the field as of next turn. The Hive is coming Smith and when they do we have to be ready to meet them. They have become a nearly irresistible force now. If there is anyone who might have a chance to holding them back on the field of battle it will be me.” Santiago quickly replied. The tension in her voice was strong.

“I see.” Smith waited a second or two. “Colonel, are you stepping down then?”

“No.” Santiago fired back hotly. “I have not intention of stepping down. The Governor-Generals will now have full and direct control of the administration of their cities. They will coordinate with Major West but the Governor-Generals will handle all policy, administration and the bureaucracy. Major West and I will coordinate policy with the Governor-Generals and provide leadership. It will be up to them to fill in the blanks.”

Smith looked at her for several seconds not saying a word.

“Anything else Smith?” Santiago asked.

“No Colonel. Thank you for your time.” Smith stood up and saluted and left the room. It was not clear to him that the myrmidons must have had a vote of confidence in their leader, Santiago, and found her wanting. The critical state that Sparta now found herself in had given the Governor-Generals the leverage to pull more power towards them. If Santiago were to loose more cities then perhaps she might even be asked to step down. The thought was almost unthinkable but who knew what the Governor-Generals might do. For the most part they owed their positions to Santiago since she appointed them but it was clear now that even that type of loyalty has its limits. Smith knew the Hive was coming but it was clear that even Santiago did not know when. Perhaps the destruction of Victory City was a signal to Yang that he would gain no profit in the trying to conquer Sparta. However, the destruction of Sparta, even by her own hands, would firmly place the Hive as that sole and utter supreme power on Chiron. That in and of itself was a motive to destroy Sparta any way possible.

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2221

First Citizen Yang accepted the status report from Citizen Paine, his long time consort. She was getting old in the service of The Hive, but had served with distinction. He had borne him and the other men in his family pod eight children, which was a respectable number. Yang graced her with a brief nod, and she turned and left.

The report she had given him was of some interest. His economic, scientific, and military advisors had compiled their data to form a meta analysis of current faction strengths.

Bases Pop Sci #tech
        Hive 26 130 246 30
        Pirates 21 91 2.4 17
        Sparta 16 45 30 22
        PKs 13 71 101 24
        Gaians 13 46 47 22
        Angels 8 35 45 18
        Drones 2 8 0 15

It was clear that The Hive was clearly superior in every measure. In some cases it was interesting to note that most of the factions were keeping pace with each other. Notably, the Spartans, PKs, and Gaians had approximate parity in technological advancement. The Angels and pathetic Pirates and Drones pulled up the rear.

One item that was not on this summary was relative military strengths. In this metric The Hive was the strongest, too. This was a much more slippery item since any projection counted the vast array of garrisons that did not serve a real military role, and it was not reflective of the relative utility of the military. For instance, Svengaard was notoriously incompetent in his military effort. The Gaians had held him off in this land assault for decades, and even established bases under his nose. It also did not account for the well-led Spartans, whose smaller force was infinitely more effective. All Yang had to do was remember the damage four Spartan rovers had done against vastly superior numbers at Worker’s Nest.

The tasks in front of the People were significant. Admiral Loica had destroyed three Pirate foils this last year, and two before that. Yang was about to compliment her when she reminded him that he still had 14 impact foils running around, and that one poor turn of events could wipe out the Eastern Navy. More reinforcements were on the way, but it remained to be seen if they would be effective. Some reinforcements had arrived for the assault on the Drones, but that was a secondary priority; the field commander would have to do with what he had.

Additional plans had been made for the assault on the Spartans, and it was now clear that it would be a long drawn out process. Still, it was one worthy of The Hive, and great resources would be used to effect that war.

*~*~*~*

Great eastern desert – SPARTA 2221

“Colonel what an honor this is!”

Santiago entered the small pressure tent that served as brigade headquarters for the 1st and 2nd armored impact regiments. Ever since the death of Captain Smith and the complete destruction of the forward elements of the Grand Army of Sparta this tiny pressure tent was all that remained.

“Lieutenant there is no honor in having me here I assure you. If Captain Smith was still alive and in control of the Hive base then it would be an honor. Right now all we need to concentrate on is holding Sparta.” Santiago fired back angrily.

“Colonel I meant no offense.” The young female myrmidon replied apologetically.

“No offense was taken. I just want to make sure we both understand each other. I am here to save our people, our way of life. I have no intention of allowing my people to become workers and drones in the Chairman Yang’s utopia. So now that we have that cleared up give me all that you have on the army. What we have at SSCaTC is very general. I need to know everything right down to the newest myrmidon, is that clear?”

“Yes Colonel!”

The young officer began to bring disc after disc of data that Santiago dutifully plowed through. The information was all too illuminating, unfortunately. In essence the Spartan army was down to two armored impact rovers, one unarmored gatling rover and a whole host of infantry with varying degrees of weapons and army. Most of this she knew from SSCaTC but what she found out now was how badly undersupplied the army was. Veterans had been asked to stay on far too long in order to fill in the gaps. Units that should have been decommissioned were still in operation due to the critical need of troops. Santiago now truly understood the frustration Smith had every time Santiago had called her. The Spartan army was simply not up to the task at hand, to defend Sparta.

When Santiago looked up she realized it was morning and she had been up all night. She only hoped that the work she had just put in would be of some use. She could only hope.

*~*~*~*

People’s Landing, MY 2222

The smoke was just beginning to clear, and Admiral Loica looked north into Pirate held territory. A large and medium-sized Pirate bases were to the immediate north and northeast. The initial plan was to consolidate the Yang Sea Foils at this captured base, and then strike north.

That had been before the hordes of Pirate foils had swarmed south. Even now the last retorts from the impact weapons from the most experienced Hive crew was dying away, and the Pirate foil was slipping beneath the waves. In the last year there were three sorties, and the year before that two. It seemed the entire Pirate navy was streaming south!

That had required a change in plan that had been duly approved by the First Citizen and the People’s Representatives. Their eastern fleet was to act as a lightning rod for the Pirates, which will distract them from actions against the Peacekeepers and Hive operations in the Western Sea. Although the Western Fleet had almost as many foils as she did, their ongoing activities took priority. They had five transports to escort to their attack points, and at least one Pirate base that had to be eliminated. Due to the sensitive operations the Western Fleet had been incorporated into the logistics of the Grand Hive Western Army.

Although she had been initially annoyed, that quickly faded due to the burden of mounting an aggressive defense here, and keeping tabs on the foils, transports, and isles exploring to the far east. Indeed, they had already passed to the western coast of Spartan lands! All they needed were a few troops, and the Spartan would get a nasty surprise. With Hive forces advancing from the south, and a likely invasion from the eastern coast, that would be the last thing they’d expect!

*!*!*!*!*

Field headquarters of the Spartan army – SPARTA 2222

“Come in Captain Santiago.”

A young female lieutenant marched into the small office Corazon Santiago had usurped from the janitor. Many would have thought that Santiago’s situation clearly indicated she had fallen from power but in reality she still had great influence and control over the Spartan Federation. The office itself did not in anyway symbolize her current authority; it was just simply the only room not in use that could be “freed up”.

The young lieutenant had walked up to Santiago’s small desk and was halfway through her salute when Corazon’s greeting hit home.

“Captain Santiago?” She asked politely but with some confusion mixed in.

“Yes, Captain.” Santiago emphasized “Captain” again. “I need an able field commander who can serve as my XO. I choose you.”

“Why?” Captain Carmen Santiago asked. Her voice slightly betraying her concern that the answer might indicate that the choice was simply because Carmen Santiago was the blood child of Corazon Santiago.

“Because you are my daughter.” Santiago stated flatly.

Carmen’s face grew red and her hands began to coil up into fists.

“I knew you had a temper. I like that, I will need that. Look Carmen I need to know I can trust you. My most able field commander died in battle. You were the XO for the 2nd armored impact rover regiment. You were up for command next anyway. I combined my need with your skills.” Santiago fired back quickly.

“What “exactly” is your need?” Carmen asked hotly.

“I need to know that I can trust you. I need to know when I issue an order no matter how terrible it might be that it will be followed. I can rely on my blood to make sure this will happen, no one else.” Santiago calmly replied. “Look Carmen I need you now. Sparta needs her best now. The Hive is coming. No matter what you think about this posting the end result will be that we will be defending Sparta from the Hive. I need to have a good XO who will do that. You are the best I can find right now that fits both of my needs. You can either accept your appointment or request a release from the myrmidons, it is your choice.”

Carmen stood silently for a few minutes. She tried to keep a straight face but the wave of emotions kept crashing over her.

“You know you should have chosen your son, my brother, for this. His tactical and strategic abilities are far better than mine.” Carmen replied flatly.

“I will handle the tactics. What I need is someone who will lead. I know of your brother’s skills but they are not what is required now. I need fighters. There will be tough fighting ahead. I am holding your brother in reserve, so to speak.”

Carmen was about to ask for what reason would her mother hold her son back for but Santiago quickly stopped her.

“It is not for you to question. I need soldiers who will follow orders. Will you follow my orders?”

“Yes.”

“Good.” Santiago stood up and saluted Captain Carmen Santiago. “We have work to do.”

Comment

The Hive, MY 2223

First Citizen Yang closed the channel with Pravin Lal. The conversation has been very friendly, and profitable for both sides. Yang made the pretext for his call the mindworm attacks on the Peacekeeper city in the middle of the Ruins. At least three mindworms were heading that way, and the city’s single defender was already critically damaged. Of course, Yang neglected to tell Pravin that his mindworm team had released nine mindwomrs that had infested a Unity pod. The mindworm had been ignored, and had destroyed a mindworm. The other six were likely to attack the city, which was unlikely to survive since Pravin was using a free market system, which made their people unprepared for even the most basic psi defense.

What was more important was the technology trade. Pravin, for whatever reason, was unwilling to trade technology. But, he was willing to sell Advanced Military Algorithms for a mere 525 megacredits. Both sides profited, and The Hive was more than willing to trade the energy for a technology that was valuable but not on their likely technology track.

Other news was more hectic. The Pirate foils were still boiling out of the woodwork. The only fully operation Hive foil destroyed a nearby Pirate foil only to find out that another was hiding the very same sector. Panic ensued since all other three foils were damaged, some severely. The only option was to send a probe foil out. It offered a large bounty to the Pirates, who were true to their colors and willingly joined The Hive. They also revealed that they had compatriots in the sector to their north, turned, and attacked and destroyed them. A fourth Pirate foil then came out from a Pirate base and destroyed the traitor. What a coup: Three Hive foils destroyed, and a fourth revealed. It would be destroyed next year, of course. The Pirate fleet was rapidly being destroyed.

Even better, the Gaians had just captured one of the two Pirate land bases on their territory. The Gaians! Indeed, it was clear the Pirates were succumbing under the weight of the Hive and Gaian attacks. Gaian and Hive forces were waxing, and the Pirates diminishing. Delicious!

It has been a very good year. Their capital The Hive had started the Supercollider Project after they had completed the research hospital, and another Hive city had started the Planetary Energy Grid. Forces were moving against the Drones, with their capital likely to be captured in the coming year. Hive forces were advancing by sea and land on three fronts. Research was at an all-time high.

Yes, it had been a very good year.

*!*!*!*

Spartan 1st army group headquarters – SPARTA 2223

“Colonel you should read this, its from Svensgaard.”

Santiago took the P.A.D. from her daughter and reviewed the message. Yet another long and detailed request from the Pirates seeking military assistance to repel the Hive. Santiago through the P.A.D. down on the table so hard that Carmen thought for sure it must be broken.

“That idiot!” Santiago nearly screamed.

“Yes, the man is a fool. He has had ample chance to either assist us in our war or fight directly against one of his rivals such as the Gaians and eliminate them but he could never pull his clans together to make a concentrated push.” Carmen replied dryly. It was old news for most Spartans who worked at SSCaTC that the Pirates were never going to be any help to Sparta.

“What still troubles me to no end is the continued support of Lal and Skye towards Yang. He is far more the greater threat than we have been and yet they side with him in almost every chance. In fact, they bend over backward to offer him lucrative trade deals as a means to appease him. It makes no sense.” Santiago barked as she sat down behind her small desk.

“Colonel the other report you asked for.” Carmen said as she laid another P.A.D. down the desk.

Santiago quickly scanned it and then pushed it back.

“We will be ready Colonel that is for sure. We might loose a few cities but as Yang pushes us back we will fall back on more defendable positions with even greater military might to support us. With gatling rovers coming on line and more ECM infantry replacing our older units we will have a chance.” Carmen commented as she picked up the P.A.D.

“You think so?” Santiago stood up and walked the few steps to a wall map of Sparta. “If I had even half of the forces that Yang has now on our continent I could storm all of our bases within a decade and I really doubt we could do much to slow him. It will be a decade if not more before we can really halt him in his tracks. And if he hits us from two or three fronts then we are finished.” Santiago said bitterly.

The two women stood silently for some time just looking at the map. Neither one of them knew when nor where Yang would strike but both of them kept staring at the old Drone cities to the far south. Once those cities fell Yang would have the best base of operations he could ask for to begin his assault on Sparta. It was now just a matter of time.

*!*!*!*!*

Hive Central, MY 2224

The bombardment of the city formerly known as Free Drone Central had hardly subsided when First Citizen Yang received a desperate call from Foreman Domai. Before taking the call Yang did a quick check to ensure that a defensive probe team and a good garrison has established in the city now named Hive Central.

Yang activated the link, and a tense Foreman Domai appeared. “First Citizen Yang, I plead for a truce. Our peoples were never opposed. Coronal Santiago forced us to declare war…”

The First Citizen made a chopping motion with his right hand. “Enough. We gave you a chance to have peace after Santiago betrayed you and put five thousand drones to death when she burned the city you built to the ground. You refused all communication.”

Domai paled. “That was a mistake, First Citizen. I admit it. Please, have mercy on us. We’ve be betrayed by Santiago, then forced into submission, then betrayed again. Our peoples are workers. We can work together.”

Yang let the pause linger. Silence was sometimes power.

“I will agree to a peace with your people…” Yang started. Domai sagged and smiled in relief. “But you must swear a pact to serve the interests of the Hive. You will be given autonomy and will be allowed and encouraged to expand your holdings, but you will have to align your interests to that of The Hive. If you fail to do so then our peace will be void. Do you understand?”

Domai swallowed hard. This sounded ominously like the demands of the Spartans. But, he had no choice. “We agree.”

“I will hold you to your agreement. This conversation is ended,” Yang stated as he terminated the transmission.

General Whay stepped forward. “Are you sure this is wise, First Citizen? Domai is at war with our allies. What if they demand we declare war, or face the dissolution of our valuable Pacts with the Gaians, Peacekeepers, and Angels?”

“That is a valid concern, General. Contact Domai and demand he declare a truce to his war with the Gaians, Peacekeepers. Ensure the Drone’s foreign policy is aligned with The Hive.

Whay nodded. “And if he refuses?”

“Then he will be our submissive Pact brother until our allies object. Then he will be destroyed.”

*!*!*!*

SSCaTC, Sparta Command – SPARTA 2224

“The Colonel is here?”

Major West quickly glanced left and right to make sure all was in order in the command center. It would not look good to have Santiago show up unexpected to find a command center disorganized. Her quick check reaffirmed that everything and everyone was in its place.

“Yes Major. Colonel Santiago returned just an hour ago and has decided to call a meeting of the senior command staff.” Captain Santiago replied with a firm but unemotional voice.

“Okay Captain, thank you.” West nodded and then quickly picked up her P.A.D. and began to walk towards the command briefing room on the far side of the center.

On the way there West could only imagine what Santiago was about to say. The council of Governor-Generals still supported Santiago completely publicly but in private they were very disappointed with her performance. West felt it was very unfair to penalize Santiago for what seemed like their errors in judgment on how they were running their cities. Production quotas were never met along with constant demands for more garrison units that only depleted the ready reserve of forces for the front.

West quickly opened the door and stepped in and saw that several of the command team members were already there. West nodded towards Santiago who stood at the front of the table at parade rest, her arms neatly folded behind her back.

“Thank you for coming Major. I will begin the briefing.” Santiago was all business from the tone she took.

“Colonel?” Captain Clinton asked politely. “Shouldn’t we wait for the others?”

“No, they can pick up when they come in. I have a new plan for the defense of Sparta and I need to run it through you. What I am planning is a rolling defensive line. We can only use rovers since they are the only ones fast enough to get out of the Hive’s way in case of trouble. Infantry will form the “core” of our defensive systems at each base. ECM targeting is a must for all base defenders. Now, we need to go through each of he cities and determine the scope of improvements needed so plan on being here for awhile.” Santiago turned to the main view screen and activated it.

West sat quietly watching the first “slide” pop-up and realized how much she had missed their leader. Santiago could always galvanize the team into action and bring about the changes needed what worried her now was that perhaps it was even too late for Santiago to save the day.

*!*!*!*

The Hive, MY 2225

Planetary Governor Yang activated his holo cell. He noted that all the other faction leaders were already in attendance: Pravin Lal of the Peacekeepers, Deirdre Skye of the Gaians, Datajack Rose for the Angels, Foreman Domai of the Drones, Coronal Santiago of the Spartans, and Svengaard of the Pirates. Pravin, Deirdre, Datajack, and Domai were had expectant looks on their faces. Svengaard was derisive. Santiago was impassive.

“Thank you for attending this Council meeting,” Governor Yang started. “I have called this meeting to discuss the Hive proposal to double trade revenues. The People have recently discovered the technology to do so, and are willing to share this with all of humanity.”

Svengaard snorted and made a very rude gesture.

“I fully support this proposal,” Pravin said, breaking in to Yang’s introduction. “This will aid the peaceful interaction of humanity, building the forces of construction and downgrading those who favor war and destruction. It is truly generous of The Hive to share this with everyone.”

Svengaard started to make additional ‘colorful’ comments, but Governor Yang put him on mute and recognized Lady Deirdre Skye.

“I agree with Pravin,” she said. “We need to do what we can to draw us together, not pull us apart. Trade will give us an incentive to cooperate.”

“Thank you, Lady Skye,” Governor Yang stated. “Datajack Rose?”

“I support the proposal,” she said. She looked distracted. Yang thought, maybe it was the six probe teams making their way to Hive territory? And the unfortunate accident they’d had at the hands of a Unity pod that was invested by mindworms that had been opened by a Hive rover.

“Domai?”

“I support the proposal, also,” he said, looking at Yang all the time.

“Svengaard?” Yang said as he took him off mute.

“…plot to destroy the freedom of my people, and hide behind the aggression of economic domination…” he said.

“I will take that as a no,” Yang said. “Santiago?”

*!*!*!*

SSCaTC, Sparta Command – SPARTA 2225

Santiago watched the other leaders for a minute or two memorizing their smug faces and then she simply turned the holo-imager off.

The fools! She slammed her fist down hard on her desk. She still could not believe after all this time that the idiots could not figure out that Yang was simply biding his time before he struck each and every on of them down with his fist. She knew this because she would have done the same.

She tried hard to think what sickened her more from that meeting Yang’s toadies or her own “pact mate” Svensgaard. She decided it was Svensgaard.

“Communications open a channel to the Pirate leader now!”

“Yes Colonel.”

Santiago waited a few minutes for the line to be set-up.

A small beeping could be heard and she quickly hit a button on her desk.

“Captain Svensgaard is on the line Colonel.”

“Patch him through.” Santiago commanded.

The speaker crackled for a few seconds and then Vanguard’s voice could be heard.

“What is it Colonel I am very busy right at this moment. I am trying to lodge a compliant with the Planetary Governor for his ill treatment of me.” Svensgaard was angry and he soon would be angrier.

“Captain our pact is ended. I am ordering any of your forces out of my territory. I am recalling all of my forces as well. Santiago out!”

She terminated the link just as she could almost hear Svensgaard screaming something like “she can’t do this” or something like that.

The man was an idiot and it was time to end their relationship once and for all. It did nothing for the Spartans and the Pirates were simply a large millstone around her neck. It was better this way. If Sparta should fall let it be done so while she stood strong by herself, not partnered up with some idiot man.

Now it was time to tell the command staff.

*!*!*!*

The Hive, MY 2226

First Citizen and Governor Yang was more than pleased. Santiago was finally completely isolated. Her own actions had driven her first conquest, the Drones, from her, and into the arms of The Hive. Now, in a fit of rage, she had sundered her alliance with the Pirates. Granted, they were hopeless and Svengaard was not a reliable ally. But, at the very least, there was trade income to be considered; a purely pragmatic reason. Santiago had thrown that away, a prime example of honor with a lack of discipline.

Yang knew he was not burdened with such an odd sense of ‘honor’. He was perfectly willing to have and maintain an alliance with those who would otherwise be his enemies. The Peacekeepers were weak, with a decadent philosophy that had failed so spectacularly on Earth. The Gaians were one-dimensional fanatics. Although not opposed to the Hive vision, they were shallow and had none of the attributes that humanity needed to prosper and survive. Of the rest, the Angels and Drones were lost causes.

Only the Spartans had the vision to be worthy contenders for the future of humanity. At a basic level they had much in common. That in the end was why they were at odds.

Comment

SSCaTC, Sparta Command – SPARTA 2226

The improvements that Sparta had been able to complete were at last beginning to take effect. Population was surging and more defensive infantry units were in training. Construction of ECM targeting modules and gatling laser rifles and cannons were on schedule as well.

Santiago punched in another report to appear on her computer. The cancellation of the pact agreement with the Pirates had been minimal to non-existent when it came to trade. Perhaps in the long run one of the other factions might be coerced to join with Sparta now.

Santiago shook her head no as she turned her computer off. No she thought she doubted if any of the other factions would ever consider turning against Yang now. For all intents and purposes Sparta stood alone now. The pirates would fall soon; it was just a matter of time. Only Sparta stood against Yang, only Sparta.

Santiago stood up and walked over to the large map of Chiron. She rubbed her hand over the area that Sparta claimed and instantly realized how perilous the situation was. The Peacekeepers could fall on them from the north, the Hive from the west or south and the Gaians from the east. It could be tomorrow or the next month or the next turn but soon Sparta would see the enemy at the gate. The only question the Santiago had to answer now was simple. Could Sparta make a fight of it to make a worthy end of it?

Yes, that was the question.

*!*!*!*

The Hive, MY 2227

First Citizen Yang watched the holo. General Whay was also linked in.

The holo was clear. It showed the southern edge of Hive holdings, and a Unity pod surrounded by rovers. A single impact rover advanced into the area, and immediately radioed that all was clear. There was great fear and concern that any Unity pod was likely to contain a lode of lethal mindworms. That was not the case today.

There was hurried radio traffic that indicated something special had occurred. Moments later a form rose from the pod: a helicopter.

Yang turned to the image of the general. “What does this mean, General? Can we now construct attack helicopters, and with them reduce our enemies?”

“No, First Citizen. Our recent advance in Synthetic Fossil Fuel will allow us to fuel and maintain it, but our infrastructure is still insufficient. This advance is probably not too far in the future, but not at this time.”

Yang simply nodded. “Coordinate with our researchers, General. This advance could be critical.”

General Whay gave a crisp salute and her image disappeared.

The First Citizen continued to stare forward. There was a feral gleam in his eyes.

*!*!*!*

SSCaTC, Sparta Command – SPARTA 2227

“How can they do something like this?”

Master-Technician Smith was stunned himself when he had see the latest radar imagery from the eastern portion of the continent.

“They have far more advanced terraforming capabilities than ours Colonel by orders of magnitude greater.” Smith calmly replied.

“I had not counted on this Master-Technician, how could one?” Santiago said with some dismay in her voice.

“I don’t follow you Colonel.” Now the Master-Technician was concerned again.

“I had always planned on transport ships as the means for the Hive to move their troops to our lands. With a land bridge they will be able to deploy hordes of troops in far less time. They could easily swamp our defenders. Yang would be very willing to sacrifice two; three perhaps even as many as four infantry regiments to wear down and annihilate a single Spartan defender. We cannot withstand that type of pressure. In addition, he could simply lay siege to our cities by cutting of our food, energy and mineral resources by the masses of troops he could send.” Santiago almost sounds desperate.

“I, I, I did not know Colonel.” Smith could barely speak.

Santiago stood up suddenly and paced over to the map where the land bridge had been added just moments ago by Smith. She began to trace with her hands a route of approach. Smith could see her using her hands to gauge the progress of the enemy soldiers.

“They could be at our border cities in a matter of turns by using the Nile River. This is not good.” Santiago slammed her fist against the map.

The Master-technician simply sat there quietly as Santiago seemed to talk to herself and then once again use her hands to trace approach patterns and the time it would take to reach Sparta.

“Have they completed it yet?”

“Not yet Colonel.”

“Good!” Santiago turned around to face Smith. “You are dismissed.”

Smith stood up and saluted with Santiago promptly returned and then left the room. He was not sure what exactly went on in that room but he hoped whatever he said was of use.

*!*!*!*

The Hive, MY 2228

First Citizen Yang examined The Hive’s position. The two land bridges were complete. The northern bridge by Sea Collective required a transport, but little else. It served the northern Hive’s military forces, and was somewhat closer to the Spartans. The southern land bridge connected the southern cities to the Spartan continent. Now there was no impediment to Hive forces advancing en mass.

How to get forces there in quantities that would truly overwhelm Spartan defenses? Advancing over unimproved terrain was very time consuming. Granted, there were rivers, but they were well known and the Spartans would expect that. Advancing formers were constructing roads across the land bridges, but that took time, too.

With that in mind he reviewed General Whay’s recommendation. As he digested the concepts it was clear it was a stroke of genius. It would take time and a considerable investment in energy, but it was likely to catch the Spartans off guard. Given time to prepare the Spartans could make their lands all but impregnable. That must not occur.

*!*!*!*

SSCaTC, Sparta Command – SPARTA 2228

“I think our time of trial is nearing. The Hive has completed construction on two land bridges that now connect their continent to ours. They have also built two cities and captured the Drones old capital city. The time is drawing near for every Spartan to be on their guard. I am ordering marital law to be implanted in all Spartan cities as of 24:00 hours this day. I feel that every Governor-General must be prepared to take whatever actions are required to deny the enemy access to our cities, our technologies and our recourses. In this time of trial I will expect every Spartan citizen to do their duty and to die defending every city to the last. Every women, man and child must stand ready to give the last full measure of their beings in defense of Sparta. If this requires the destruction of our own cities then so be it.”

The network broadcast of the Colonel Santiago’s address had ended.

*!*!*!*

The Hive, MY 2229

First Citizen Yang was examining an interactive holographic representation of the People’s territory. Each city was enveloped in touch-linked data streams on dozens of topics. Yang reached out and activated these in a sequential manner, absorbing the data in moderate to extreme detail.

A door opened behind him and two figures opened. The first was arrayed in the dark blue suits of The Hive Army. She had a modest series of pips on the left side of her chest, and two silver half moons on her lapels, indicating that Whay was the Grand General of The People. The second person was in a modest gray suit with a high collar. Its main feature was straight lines and its utter featurelessness. The People’s Science Advisor Brandon stood at attention, but he wasn’t quite as straight as Whay.

After a few minutes Yang was finished, muted the holo screen, and turned to face his visitors. He nodded to them to beacon them forward.

“People’s Science Advisor,” Yang said, “we have just completed the Superconducting Supercollider at The Hive. To what degree has this augmented our scientific ability?”

“First Citizen,” Brandon said in a serious voice, “the research rate at The Hive has doubled, which has had the effect of increasing our overall research rate by ten percent. The will be considerably increased if additional resource crawlers will be allocated to harvesting energy for the People’s capital. Most of our cities have near maximum industrial capability, and significant food harvesting is occuring at almost all Hive cities. I recommend that at least four sea and any surplus land crawlers be given to The Hive. The multiplier factor to our research is over four, considering the effects of the network node and research hospital.”

Yang nodded. “I will forward your recommendation to the People’s Economic Advisor Harlow. “And the effects of the completed Hunter-Seeker Algorithm?”

“It will provide a measure of security to our bases. It will not provide sure protection, but our bases will not longer be vulnerable to any espionage team by friendly or enemy factions. All bases still need to be protected by defensive probes. Our technology must not be allowed to benefit our enemies.”

Yang nodded. “General Whay, what are the strategic and tactical advantages of the benefits of the Hunter Seeker Algorithm?”

“Multifold, First Citizen,” she said. “On a tactical level, our bases will be minimally protected against standard espionage teams. The only espionage teams that are likely to be able to penetrate our intrinsic defenses are those constructed with augmented abilities. On a strategic level our armies and navies will be able to operate more fluidly. They will be able to take advantage of opportunities the enemy presents to us since we will not have to be as concerned about an enemy probe team actions, such as capturing a recently captured base and our armies with it, or subverting an army element that is found alone and without the protection of their fellows. In effect, we will be able to blitzkrieg our enemies, if forces allow.”

“Does our level of technology allow a blitzkrieg, General?”

“Only against a weak enemy, First Citizen,” she replied. “Our missile technology is only twenty percent more effective than Spartan gattling technology, and this is offset by superior Spartan morale. Rover teams will be confronted by ECM defenses, and natural defender and sensor advantages. An entrenched defender will require substantial attacking forces to succeed.”

“And when will our technological ability be at this stage?”

“Unknown, First Citizen.”

Yang did not like this answer, but accepted it. The General did not back down.

*!*!*!*

Section G-3 intelligence, Sparta Command – SPARTA 2229

“Is this correct Captain?”

“Yes Colonel it is.” Captain Clinton reported with an air of smugness. “Martial-law has allowed us to transfer needed resources away from the frivolous pursuits of the civilians. There are no reports of riots or outbreaks of violence among the workers. Order is maintained.”

“Thank you Captain. This is most welcome news indeed.” Santiago patted the report with her hand and then took the intelligence officers arm to lead her back into the main intelligence room area. “Have all the Governor-Generals followed my orders?”

Captain Clinton stopped for a minute and looked Santiago in the eyes. She had dreaded this question.

“Yes they have. They all report they are ready to carry out your orders if required.”

“Good.” Santiago said quietly.

“Colonel, if I may?” Clinton asked questioningly. “With more resources dedicated to production, as more morale enhancement centers are built at each city, as more elite gatling infantry units come on line do you really think that we will need to issue those orders?”

Santiago was the one to stare at Clinton for a minute in silence.

“What do you think Captain?”

“Yes, unfortunately.” Clinton’s reply was full of glum.

“I do too but in the mean while Yang still has to get here. We are as ready as we can be for now. Our rovers are standing by to react to the any incursion. We have good lines of interior movement for our troops and we are working on better ones. We are building more sensor arrays to help spot movements and direct fire control. We can bloody him for some time but the reality is if Yang puts all of his might against us he will bowl us over in time. I will not stand for Sparta to be engulfed in his honor less society.” Santiago’s eyes were full of hatred for her mortal enemy Chairman Yang.

“Colonel we will give them a fight!” Clinton fired back.

“Yes we will. We will make Sparta a shining beacon for the other factions to take hope that they too can stand against tyranny. Now lets look at those latest radio intercepts from the Peacekeepers.”

*!*!**

Legionaire City, MY 2230

Grand Admiral Loica surveyed the sea fungus field her armada was plowing through. In the previous year all units had been stationed in position: six impact foils with either trance or empath ability. This was useless now, except to attack or defend rogue isles of the deep. Their main purpose was to bombard the Spartan-held Legionaire City.

Finally all units reported they were in position. The admiral gave the order, and the disciplined retorts started immediately and showered the hapless city with withering fire. All the Spartans had to defend themselves was synthmetal armor and the base. No sensor or perimeter defense was detected.

Bombardment continued for a full day until, finally, impact guns started to overhead. The defenders were down to 50 to 70 percent effectiveness according to intelligence reports via the Planetary Governor’s office station there. Officially they were there strictly neutral, but as Citizens of The Hive they had first-order priorities to First Citizen Yang.

All was going according to schedule, and the Grand Admiral gave the order to cease fire. “Admiral Loica to General Whay. Indirect fire complete.”

General Whay was in the secondary flagship a half sector away in the fungus. She was well aware of the schedule, and was pleased the bombardment had gone well. “Artillery, commence fire!” she ordered. The lone impact artillery rover started additional bombardment, reducing the defenders even more.

Their fire lasted less than an hour. General Whay picked up the secure communication channel. “General Whay to all transports. Commence attack.”

*!*!*!*

First Citizen Yang looked on the multiple live feeds with undisguised pleasure. The first two missle rovers advanced into the fungus and summarily destroyed the weakened defenders. Neither rover was severely damaged, but they had exhausted their fuel supplies and could not take the city.

The honor of securing the first Spartan city for the People sell to a silksteel ECM rover squad. Another silksteel rover and then an impact rover squad and a few probe teams followed it. Within a few hours the deep blue flag of The Hive was raised over the Spartan city.

A First Order communication pip alerted the First Citizen. He immediately activated it. “First Citizen!” General Whay stated. “The People have secured the Spartan city without loss. All resistance has been summarily removed, and even now pacification has started. I estimate no more than twenty percent of the former Spartan citizen will have to liquidated to restore order. Defensive and offensive garrisons are in place. Per your Directive 2230-34A, the city will be known as People’s City.”

General Whay’s surprise action involving almost the entire Western Fleet and six transports had been entirely effective. The Spartans had probably expected a land-based attack, and it was unlikely that an attack on a city not adjacent to the sea was at the forefront of Santiago’s diligent battle plans. Although it was probably not a complete surprise, it was likely that the Spartans had been caught where they did not expect the primary attack. This was key – establish a foothold, deny the Spartans their strategy of scorched earth as they had done to date, and then establish an attack perimeter.

First Citizen Yang replied. “Congratulations, General. My commendations to the Citizen Soldiers of The Hive. They have done very well, and I am proud of them. Your and their service to the People will go down in history as the beginning of the rise of The Hive as the primary force in Chiron.”

Yang signed off. He liked his messages clear and short.

He was well satisfied. The capture of the city the Spartans gave to the Pirates, Thermompalye City, by a rearguard force was almost anticlimactic.

First the Spartans had been isolated diplomatically and economically. Then they had been militarily isolated. Now was the time to deal with the primary force of opposition to The Hive directly.

*!*!*!*

SSCaTC, Sparta Command – SPARTA 2230

Santiago sat quietly in her office waiting for the dawn to arrive. The orders had been given at midnight and by the first early light of dawn every Spartan city would be destroyed with the exception of Sparta Command. All military units were being recalled to defend Sparta but it would take some time to recall all of the units. Yang’s audacious move had forced Santiago to move quickly to save her people from a fate worse than death.

The garrison units had activated the thermonuclear destruction devices one hour prior to midnight and then they had quickly left the cities. The inhabitants of the cities never felt any pain or suffered. They would never know the tyranny that Yang would impose on them. They had all died with honor and loyalty to the Federation.

Now Santiago would hold out as long as she could fighting until there was no hope and then she would order the same fate for Sparta.

Yang would gain nothing from Sparta, nothing.

Comment

The Hive, MY 2231

First Citizen watched as Sparta burned. One by one each Spartan city was evacuated, and then a small tactical nuclear charge activated. The amount of energy that was released was modest by the standards of the smaller nuclear or fusion devices of old Earth, but they were more than enough. Most Spartan cities had 2000 to 3000 citizens, which was a small town by the standard of humanity from the 19th century onward. On Chiron this sized city was respectable considering the circumstances. But, it was still small and it took very little to reduce the city to ashes. The Planetary Governor representatives did have time to evacuate, and they reported that very few Spartan citizens elected to flee. They were loyal to Santiago to the end.

That, however, was irrelevant. Santiago’s final fit of honor had ensured that The Hive was supreme on Chiron and that the People would not have to labor at reducing the Spartan holdings or beating them into submission. Only one city, Sparta Command, remained, and Santiago was ensuring that the city would starve to death in short order. It was unable to support the voluminous army that had fled the burning Spartan cities. Santiago’s pique made them irrelevant.

Upon reflection Yang decided that they were not quite irrelevant. The ongoing war between the Hive’s allies and the Spartans would help keep the Gaians and Peacekeepers in the People’s good graces for a while longer, even if the Spartans had ensured their defeat. This had been one of The Hive’s primary advantages since landing on Chiron since it removed enemies, and denied allies to the Spartans.

There were signs that The Hive’s diplomatic prowess was finally ebbing. The Angels had contacted him recently to terminate their Pact, and the Peacekeepers had formed a treaty of friendship with the Pirates. That could only mean a political realignment was occurring. It was a good thing the Spartans had elected for suicide or they may have been able to form the leadership in a new anti-Hive alliance.

Even that hypothetical was unlikely to stop the People. Artifacts had just unlocked the secrets of Chaos Theory and Fusion Power, and with these the military ability of The Hive was supreme. No other faction could hope to stand up to the People since their attack ability was five times better than the average defense, and equal to the best dug in defense force. Any force attacking the armies of The Hive would be at a significant disadvantage, and any attack on a Hive city would be almost hopeless. No faction could hope to catch up due to the wide array of defensive espionage agents, and the awesome abilities of the Hunter Seeker Algorithm Project. The raw research rate of The Hive was increasing, and was ten times that of Sparta before it imploded and almost four times as large as its largest competitor, the Peacekeepers.

First Citizen Yang reflected that the game was won and all that remained was either the proper allocation of overwhelming firepower or diplomatic finesse. As time passed even diplomatic finesse would be redundant. All humanity would become one with the People by diplomacy or by force, and the Hivean objective of a united humanity would come to pass. The Hive would be the future. The dream of Unity would finally be achieved.

*~*~*~*

SSCaTC, Sparta Command – SPARTA 2231

“What do you want Lal!” Santiago stormed at Lal.

Lal did not flinch his face remained firm.

“Santiago what you did is a tragedy a crime against all of humanity! To kill your own people! How could you?” Lal raged back at her.

“I did what I had to do to save my people from Yang. Just as you will have to do.”

“Nonsense.” Lal fired back. “Why would I ever do such a thing as you have done? Chairman Yang can be handled, dealt with. We can work with him as we have always done since we have met him.’

“Because you did not oppose him. He had us to concentrate his fury on. Now that we are nearly spent where will his eye wander to next Lal? You need to ask yourself that question. Your nation is the closest to him and his power base. If I were Yang I would attack you and I know Yang and he will attack, count on it.” Santiago said with all the conviction she could muster.

“Nonsense.” Lal’s reply was not as sure this time. “Yang can be dealt with.”

“I don’t believe you Lal and you don’t believe yourself either. I am sending you technology free of charge that might help save your people. It did not save us and I doubt it will do anything to tip the balance in your favor but you might force Yang to strike somewhere else first.” Santiago’s reply was full of despair now. She looked tired, beaten.

“Colonel then I offer you a truce. I appreciate your effort but I can never condone the actions you took. In every aspect you sicken me.” Lal said with a mixture of friendship and revulsion.

“Think whatever you might but MY people died free and so they will remain free. You on the other hand can make no such boast. Your sons and daughters will all become drones under Yang’s dominion and when they clamp you in chains to dig iron from the earth to feed Yang’s war machine then you will know I am right. Santiago OUT!”

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2232

Yang touch activated the interlinked holos. He had found written, oral, and even data syntheses were too cumbersome where the rich troves of data could be accessed with a mere motion. If an item of interest was identified he could dig deeper, and in doing so avoid inappropriate ‘filtering’ by his subordinates. Most was well intentioned, but few were wise enough to know what was truly needed. A select few had their own agendas. These varied from subtle to obvious; the latter were culled quickly. The former had to be found out and then, if needed, eliminated or subdued, depending on circumstances.

The People had been very busy recently. An artifact had yielded the secrets of Organic Superlubricant. This in itself was of vital significance, since it far exceeded the technology of Earth. It was somewhat ironic that the fusion chaos gun that had just been prototyped was instantly obsolete since the new weaponry viable with superlubricants was twenty five percent more efficient. Was this important? That was a vital question. Hivean firepower far exceeded any other on Chiron, so what was the point? The answer was to ensure the Hivean lead was not only significant, but also insurmountable.

In former Spartan territory General Whay had ordered the perimeter of Hive-held lands to be garrisoned with fusion silksteel defenders and offensive units. The Spartans would have little luck penetrating their defenses. He was pleased to note she had chosen a fine defensive position: high ground surrounded by forest and protected by a sensor suite that formerly belonged to the Spartans before they burned all of their bases to the ground. It was not highly unlikely that any Spartan counterattack would achieve any success. They were isolated, and now encapsulated. A new directive had ordered a stop to all offensive activity since all goals had been achieved.

More resources could now be placed against the Pirates. Amphibious chaos rovers were being constructed and transports upgraded. The first marine detachment from a Hive foil had captured a Pirate sea former. It had been destroyed shortly thereafter by the Pirates, but the boarding action would be quite useful in the days ahead. Grand Admiral Loica was back in command of the Eastern Fleet, and had reported that three new Pirate foils were bearing down on her positions. They had almost no chance against the fusion-armed defenders. After a few amphibious rovers were in the theatre the Pirates would be quickly reduced in a rising wave of Hivean foils and troops. Even now the Western fleet was racing to secure the two Pirate bases in the Western sea. It was unacceptable to have Pirate holdings so near Hive territory. They would feel the wrath of the People soon enough.

To the south a rover team had captured a mindworm and spoor launcher. They were likely to be attacked soon by another mindworm, but that was acceptable. The net benefit to the People would still be more native units. In a disturbing vein, the number of pollution-based fungal blooms was increasing, and now these were accompanied by mindworms that were impervious to capture. They were destroyed handily, augmenting the Hive treasury considerably. But, if a serious attack were to occur it could disrupt plans against the Pirates. There were more than enough defenders at every Hive base to deal with all but the most catastrophic native attack, but some effort would be made to reduce environmental pollution to more nominal levels.

For the first time in a hundred years First Citizen Yang felt secure, and that made him uneasy. He had learned in his early childhood never to let down his guard, and he would not when the dreams of the People were so close to fruition.

*~*~*~*

SSCaTC, Sparta Command – SPARTA 2232

Santiago studied the report from the espionage team and then crumpled it in her trembling hands. Yang would not even give her the satisfaction of a warrior’s death in battle. So be it.

“Major West I want you to prepare the device, is that clear?”

Across the table Santiago’s loyal second-in-command nodded and then quickly stood up and saluted and turned to leave the room.

“It’s the only way.” Santiago almost whispered.

“I know Colonel. Better this than risking a lifetime of possible servitude for Yang. Thank you Colonel for the time we had.” West responded without turning around and then left the room.

Santiago sat alone in the darkened room and began to prepare herself for the coming end. It was time to join her people. She would see Yang in hell some day and when she did she would have another chance to kill him there, a chance she would not fail at.

*~*~*~*

The Hive, MY 2233

Not for the first time, Yang thought, What is Santiago doing?

The Spartan probe team had been summarily destroyed, even though it was armored. It seemed that synthmetal armor couldn’t stand up to fusion-powered missile launchers. That was a sideshow now. The four Pirate foils had approached the Hive base and then…ran away. It seemed they didn’t think much of attacking Hive silksteel foils powered by fusion generators behind a naval perimeter. If all four Pirate impact foils attacked they might, just might, destroy one of The Hive defenders. Next it would be the Hive’s turn, and the newly refitted missile foils would show the Pirates the meaning of fusion-armed firepower, and what a few marine detachments would do. If all went well a few Pirate foils would be added to the Hive Eastern Fleet.

Yang closed that file with a touch. He was primarily interested in the latest technologic advance in Environmental Economics. The People’s Science Advisor had updated the reference files, showing how this technology had finally unlocked the energy in boreholes, high-altitude solar panels, and tidal generators that had been lost since landing on Chiron. This had significantly boosted their science rate, and the energy into their coffers. Incidentally, their trade surplus had increased, too, such that the total balance each year was over 150 megacredits after paying maintenance on the considerable Hive infrastructure.

Even more alluring was the new economic structures that each city could build that integrated ecological recycling, sustainable development, and organic product development. With no other pressing concerns, and the largest and most effective military by far, Yang issued Directive 2233-A23: all bases will begin construction of Tree Farms as soon as existing facilities or military units are complete, with the approval of First Citizen Yang, General Whay, and Admiral Loica. The food bonus would allow cities to grow considerably, and reduce the ongoing problem of ecological pollution that had caused so many fungal blooms recently.

Yang was content. His allies hadn’t bothered him for decades, and that was pleasing since they always wanted technology. In the past he had been more than happy to give them anything they wanted. Now that was not feasible. The Hive’s monopoly on fusion power and high-yield weaponry had to be maintained for as long as possible. At some later date they would be released, but only when they were obsolete.

Then all alliances would be redundant.

Comment

Oops. Double post.

Comment

SSCaTC, Sparta Command – SPARTA 2233

Santiago sat quietly waiting for the countdown.

1:54 seconds

She had no regrets, no second thoughts. Sparta would live on as a symbol of honor and the warrior’s creed. Sparta would live on.

1:20 seconds

Any doubts that she still had were now washed away she had a clarity of purpose; a vision. Yang would continue his insatiable movement to conquer even more lands and put more of Chiron under his yoke of control.

: 58 seconds

She knew that the other faction leaders were helpless before him. His guile, his subterfuge had beaten Sparta’s military prowess. Perhaps in another day, another time another age Sparta would have been the victor in the struggle but not now. Yang had moved quickly to secure the support of the other faction leaders leaving Sparta isolated and vulnerable.

: 32 seconds

Yang would eventually face the demon of defeat but it would not be by any hand on Chiron. Santiago was confident of that

: 13 seconds

Time would deal Yang a hand that he could not win, a battle he could not win; death.

: 8 seconds

Santiago quickly glanced at the timer and prepared herself for the last great battle ahead a battle she would win.

3, 2, 1

The fiery explosion of the atomic bomb disintegrated Sparta Command in a flash of blinding light. The last bastion had fallen. Sparta the warrior state ceased. The final curtain had been drawn on a proud warrior people. Now all that remained were the ashes and memories of long lost people just like their namesakes for centuries before. Sparta was gone.

*~*~*~*

Hive Eastern Fleet, MY 2234

Admiral Loica picked herself off of the careening deck. The last volley from the Pirates had hulled the ship. She knew instinctively that the strike was not fatal, but it had been a lucky shot.

“Status!” she bellowed. There was too much smoke to see anything.

“Engaging now, Sir,” her weapons officer yelled. Even as he spoke the missile volley, much reduced due to damage, fired. Only four missile tubes were operational. A series of dull impacts occurred moments later.

“Three hits, Sir! She’s listing to port.”

The admiral was not on her feet. Her uniform was in shreds and she couldn’t move her left arm, and her side pulsed in pain. Must be a few broken ribs. “Fire again!” she said. It would potentially be fatal if the enemy to get another shot.

“No need, Sir,” he replied. “She’s gone.”

There was comparative silence on the deck. The few fires were under control, and a crewman to the aft was yelling to his repair crew as they labored to repair the hull breach. There was no more firing from the Pirate impact turret.

Loica activated her viewfinder and saw the Pirate ship as its bow dipped below the water’s surface. A few crewmembers were jumping as the stern lifted into the air. For a few moments the ship was poised with the aft section in the unnatural position out of the water. Then it settled deeper and, with gathering speed, slid into the water. After it disappeared a few Pirate crewmembers were still struggling in the water.

“Any reports from other naval vessels,” she said as she paced over to the communication panel. Luckily it was intact, and the officer handed her the eye link. “Yes, sir. One Pirate foil captured and three destroyed. Two of those attacked us, one here and the other at base. They suffered no damage there, fortunately.”

“Good,” she said, and then waved a hand to dismiss him. Dutifully, he stood to give her his seat. He stood by in case his services were needed. She linked to the other captains and squirted her status to them, and got a squirt back. This confirmed no losses, and minimal damage except for her engagement. The lone surviving damaged foil was making for the nearest Pirate base, she saw.

Even better, she got a squirt that there were reinforcements coming. A foil was coming from the south at maximum speed, and a transport with amphibious chaos speeders was nearby. More speeders were near the port and would be on the next upgraded transport in the coming year.

The situation was improving rapidly. Pirate attacks had failed, and that wiped out much of their navy. Without naval protection their bases were sitting ducks once the amphib rovers were available. That alleviated the most critical need in taking the Pirate bases, and that was a decent number of attackers. Svengaard had build a huge but now obsolete military, and then had done nothing with it. Every army was holed up at their bases. This was good in that they couldn’t press the Hive’s allies, but now it was an impediment since they all had to be eliminated before The Hive could secure those cities for the People. The combination of high-firepower foils and transports full of high-firepower amphib speeders would solve that problem nicely.

Per protocol, Admiral Loica squirted the data to the First Citizen. She added a brief summary of her own, but knew he would analyze the data and form his own opinions. Her job was to affect his policies, and provide counsel when asked. Nothing more.

*~*~*~*

First Citizen Yang reviewed the fleet battle in a detached and analytical manner. The results were a foregone conclusion.

The Spartans had completed their ritual immolation, and now the People’s primary enemy had fallen. With their demise The Hive’s alliance with the Peacekeepers would disintigrate quickly. They were now the second most powerful power on Chiron with the Pirates being reduced in war material and bases. Lal would now be forced to re-evaluate his alliance, and old animosities would re-surface. They would become enemies of the People soon.

Svengaard was isolated, and his technological rate was a shocking 2.4 per turn, unchanged for decades. He was doomed, even if he didn’t admit it.

The Data Angels were allies of convenience, and they were known for their antipathy toward the control he exercised over the People. They preferred the chaos of the failed Democratic government. That alliance would fail soon. It would be a small loss to The Hive.

Of the remaining factions there was a chance they could keep the Gaians as allies. It would require bribes, but if Deirdre didn’t ask for too much they would be kept in the People’s fold, if for no other reason than to deny them from an alliance with the Peacekeepers.

As before, the People would divide and conquer.

The People would lead humanity to great heights, and one day soon they would leave the confines of Chiron. Then, after the political situation on Chiron was appropriately ordered, humanity would once again take its rightful place in the limitless expanse of Space. That is where their destiny lay. Earth would be reformed in the image of the People. At last the dream of a united humanity that traveled the stars would be achieved.

*~*~*~*

THE END

Comment

SSCaTC, Sparta Command – SPARTA 2233

Santiago sat quietly waiting for the countdown.

1:54 seconds

She had no regrets, no second thoughts. Sparta would live on as a symbol of honor and the warrior’s creed. Sparta would live on.

1:20 seconds

Any doubts that she still had were now washed away she had a clarity of purpose; a vision. Yang would continue his insatiable movement to conquer even more lands and put more of Chiron under his yoke of control.

: 58 seconds

She knew that the other faction leaders were helpless before him. His guile, his subterfuge had beaten Sparta’s military prowess. Perhaps in another day, another time another age Sparta would have been the victor in the struggle but not now. Yang had moved quickly to secure the support of the other faction leaders leaving Sparta isolated and vulnerable.

: 32 seconds

Yang would eventually face the demon of defeat but it would not be by any hand on Chiron. Santiago was confident of that

: 13 seconds

Time would deal Yang a hand that he could not win, a battle he could not win; death.

: 8 seconds

Santiago quickly glanced at the timer and prepared herself for the last great battle ahead a battle she would win.

3, 2, 1

The fiery explosion of the atomic bomb disintegrated Sparta Command in a flash of blinding light. The last bastion had fallen. Sparta the warrior state ceased. The final curtain had been drawn on a proud warrior people. Now all that remained were the ashes and memories of long lost people just like their namesakes for centuries before. Sparta was gone.

*~*~*~*

Hive Eastern Fleet, MY 2234

Admiral Loica picked herself off of the careening deck. The last volley from the Pirates had hulled the ship. She knew instinctively that the strike was not fatal, but it had been a lucky shot.

“Status!” she bellowed. There was too much smoke to see anything.

“Engaging now, Sir,” her weapons officer yelled. Even as he spoke the missile volley, much reduced due to damage, fired. Only four missile tubes were operational. A series of dull impacts occurred moments later.

“Three hits, Sir! She’s listing to port.”

The admiral was not on her feet. Her uniform was in shreds and she couldn’t move her left arm, and her side pulsed in pain. Must be a few broken ribs. “Fire again!” she said. It would potentially be fatal if the enemy to get another shot.

“No need, Sir,” he replied. “She’s gone.”

There was comparative silence on the deck. The few fires were under control, and a crewman to the aft was yelling to his repair crew as they labored to repair the hull breach. There was no more firing from the Pirate impact turret.

Loica activated her viewfinder and saw the Pirate ship as its bow dipped below the water’s surface. A few crewmembers were jumping as the stern lifted into the air. For a few moments the ship was poised with the aft section in the unnatural position out of the water. Then it settled deeper and, with gathering speed, slid into the water. After it disappeared a few Pirate crewmembers were still struggling in the water.

“Any reports from other naval vessels,” she said as she paced over to the communication panel. Luckily it was intact, and the officer handed her the eye link. “Yes, sir. One Pirate foil captured and three destroyed. Two of those attacked us, one here and the other at base. They suffered no damage there, fortunately.”

“Good,” she said, and then waved a hand to dismiss him. Dutifully, he stood to give her his seat. He stood by in case his services were needed. She linked to the other captains and squirted her status to them, and got a squirt back. This confirmed no losses, and minimal damage except for her engagement. The lone surviving damaged foil was making for the nearest Pirate base, she saw.

Even better, she got a squirt that there were reinforcements coming. A foil was coming from the south at maximum speed, and a transport with amphibious chaos speeders was nearby. More speeders were near the port and would be on the next upgraded transport in the coming year.

The situation was improving rapidly. Pirate attacks had failed, and that wiped out much of their navy. Without naval protection their bases were sitting ducks once the amphib rovers were available. That alleviated the most critical need in taking the Pirate bases, and that was a decent number of attackers. Svengaard had build a huge but now obsolete military, and then had done nothing with it. Every army was holed up at their bases. This was good in that they couldn’t press the Hive’s allies, but now it was an impediment since they all had to be eliminated before The Hive could secure those cities for the People. The combination of high-firepower foils and transports full of high-firepower amphib speeders would solve that problem nicely.

Per protocol, Admiral Loica squirted the data to the First Citizen. She added a brief summary of her own, but knew he would analyze the data and form his own opinions. Her job was to affect his policies, and provide counsel when asked. Nothing more.

*~*~*~*

First Citizen Yang reviewed the fleet battle in a detached and analytical manner. The results were a foregone conclusion.

The Spartans had completed their ritual immolation, and now the People’s primary enemy had fallen. With their demise The Hive’s alliance with the Peacekeepers would disintigrate quickly. They were now the second most powerful power on Chiron with the Pirates being reduced in war material and bases. Lal would now be forced to re-evaluate his alliance, and old animosities would re-surface. They would become enemies of the People soon.

Svengaard was isolated, and his technological rate was a shocking 2.4 per turn, unchanged for decades. He was doomed, even if he didn’t admit it.

The Data Angels were allies of convenience, and they were known for their antipathy toward the control he exercised over the People. They preferred the chaos of the failed Democratic government. That alliance would fail soon. It would be a small loss to The Hive.

Of the remaining factions there was a chance they could keep the Gaians as allies. It would require bribes, but if Deirdre didn’t ask for too much they would be kept in the People’s fold, if for no other reason than to deny them from an alliance with the Peacekeepers.

As before, the People would divide and conquer.

The People would lead humanity to great heights, and one day soon they would leave the confines of Chiron. Then, after the political situation on Chiron was appropriately ordered, humanity would once again take its rightful place in the limitless expanse of Space. That is where their destiny lay. Earth would be reformed in the image of the People. At last the dream of a united humanity that traveled the stars would be achieved.

*~*~*~*

THE END

Comment

Working...
                    X