Maps for SMAC books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maps for SMAC books

I haven't noticed any maps in Michael Ely's first book. Are faction locations known? Is the map of the series the same as in the game?
    Mart
    Map creation contest
    WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

I have just read 'Centauri Dawn' and the paperback version I read does not have any maps. I suppose you could infer terrain and the like from brief descriptions given? I recall that in the epilogue it mentions that Yang is "building a new society across the sea" or something to that effect.
    Trithemius
    ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

Guys, I'm pretty sure the books use the official SMAC map, with all the landmarks, terrains, mountains, etc.

I haven't read the book myself, so I have no idea where factions may be located. But I'm sure the SMAC official map is used. Hope that helps.
      Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

it was officiall mentioned somewhere that the official map wasn't being used, and there wasn't really a map for the books, other than a rough draft quick drawing of where the factions are in comparison to each other.

all seven factions started in the same continent, with the Hive secretly moving off to another continent as they felt the continent they started in was to crowded.

-mellian

Comment

Guess I was wrong, then.

Thanks for letting me know, Mellian.

By the way, could I get these SMAC books at any bookstore, or do I have to order them specially?
          Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

Third trilogy book should be in bookstores still. For first two books go to ebay, they are quite cheap over there.
            ------------
            If Michael Ely would use a map when writing a story that would be great. One of the important things, at least for me when reading such books, is to have a map. Imagine Lord of the Rings without a map. Dune has a map too, though there is desert everywhere...
            Last edited by Mart; April 7, 2004, 20:09.
            Mart
            Map creation contest

Comment

Originally posted by mart7x5
              If Michael Ely would use a map when writing a story that would be great. One of the important things, at least for me when reading such books, is to have a map. Imagine Lord of the Rings without a map. Dune has a map too, though there is desert everywhere...
              The Dune map is great :0
              Even if it is mostly desert with some rocks in it.
              Trithemius
              ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

Check this link of a map someone made themselves for the third book. It is based on the "official" Alpha Centauri map.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

But here's the major prize: an outline map for Dragon Sun. Unfortunately, it's not up to the artistic quality of The Cheese Stands Alone, but then, what is?

Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Your first link doesn't work man.
                  Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                  Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                  *****Citizen of the Hive****
                  "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

It's geocities webpage. They cancel people's pages with speeds faster than light
                    Mart
                    Map creation contest

Comment

Funny, it was working before.

Try cutting out the "ACMap.bmp" from the end of the address. When I do that, I get one of those "index of . . ." pages. Then I click on the link that says "ACMap.bmp" to see the map.

Comment

Geocities sux.

That, or people don't know how to make websites properly.

Comment

I do not remember from where is this, except that it is supposed to show map situation in third book:
                          Is that what is found on that link?
                          Attached Files
                          SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

That's the same thing that's (supposed to be) on the other end of that link.

Comment

Well, if that link doesn`t work...
                              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X