PBEM: looking games or players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arakaria,

Mart asked you to write what are your preferences for the game, smac or smax, settings, faction etc.

I think everyone wants to go with SMACX, so that is settled, and I guess people can pick their own faction, unless you want to ban some factions from your game.

But the settings still need to be decided. What size world, random or fixed map, if random, what settings for world generation, alien life abundance, pods or not, tech stagnation or not, etc.

So I think everyone is waiting for you to write this.

I hope I can be included in the game. I'd like to play Gaia, I think, or University if you think having Cultist and Gaia in the same game is too much.

Comment

If Mark can make a balanced map then it would be very nice. I don't have experience with PBEM games, so I'm not sure about settings. Medium settings are okay. Standard size of a map is considered to be optimal but I love long games, so if others feel that larger are playable then I'm for it. Difficulty level: Transcendence. As for the rules I think that we should take standard (for example, no precise tech selection).

Alien factions, as I said, are reserved for AI or banned if other players wish so.

I'll lead the Cultists.

P.S. I don't mind that this game starts long but I just wanted to know what is happening.

Comment

Mart created an extremely balanced 4 player map. It is posted in one of the threads, called something like veterans_04. I can send it to you if you want, since this is the map I am playing my first SMACX PBEM on. Just get me your address. Once you get the map, you can open it and study it, so everyone starts with the same info.

Personally, I would just as soon play on a random map, and take my lumps. But any map is OK with me.

I do not want a game where I cannot select the techs I want to research. I don't know how everyone else feels, but that is the only deal-breaker for me. I can live with any other setting except this.

Comment

About precise tech research: fine with me.

I really enjoy exploration, so I'm against a map that is known from the start.

Comment

So lets go with random map, and not worry about a balanced start. Who said life was fair?

Arakaria, we need to nail down the other settings. So let me toss this out, and see we can all agree, so we can get the game going.

Random map:
            Large
            Default settings for everything

Pods everywhere (not just at starting locations)
            Precise research
            Tech stagnation off
            [Mart, what other settings need to be specified?]

Players
            Arakaria - Cult
            Marky - Gaia
            Bodissey - Morgan
            Mart - ???

Enhanced AI [Could we NOT have Spartans, Believers, or Hive? Maybe University, Peacekeepers, Angels?]

mmontgomery has convinced me that copters are evil (badly unbalanced), and that the game plays better without them. Is everyone OK with banning copters?

Comment

I'm fine with all previous propositions.

Comment

I would take Data Angels.

Copters might have a special rule not to attack bases. They would be ok to attack units in field.

If we are to start a game without a CMN, we would need to have the default difficulty level, otherwise all players except the one starting the game would be anyway on default.
                Mart
                Map creation contest
                WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

CMN?

Comment

Originally posted by Arakaria
                    CMN?
                    CMN: A person who sets up games for others to play in, such as what Mart typically does for us in the AC Community.

Anyways, I have set up a few games in the past. Since Mart, who is the only active CMN now, is participating in this game, why I will volunteer to CMN this game. Therefore if you want I will set up this game for you if you all agree.

So far my understanding is that these are the game parameters:
                    Random map:
                    Large

Precise research
                    Tech stagnation off
                    [Mart, what other settings need to be specified?]

Players
                    Arakaria - Cult
                    Marky - Gaia
                    Bodissey - Morgan
                    Mart - Angels

Enhanced AI [Could we NOT have Spartans, Believers, or Hive? Maybe University, Peacekeepers, Angels?]

Note that I can add some very balanced AIs to the mix if you like, or I can whip up some killer AIs if that is what you prefer.

Also, back when I was PBEM'ing it was customary to disable the Empath Guild, as it was considered overbalanced (i.e. instant and permanent infiltration on everyone was a real gamebreaker for most). Just a suggestion on my part, but I'd advise that you should all have to work for infiltration on your fellow factions.

Finally, if there are going to be AIs in the game, then I can add units to the basic set that are available in-game. The one standard unit that was always included was Googlie's Probe Cruiser, which was available with Doc: Init, and thus equipped AIs with the ability to build aquatic probes. I'd also suggest adding an AA Speeder available at Doc: Air, the reasoning behind this is that the AIs don't build land-based AA units otherwise. There are others I could add if you like, but these are the basics. Let me know what you think, and I can proceed accordingly.

D

Comment

Darsnan,

Thank you for volunteering to setup the game!

Originally posted by Darsnan

Note that I can add some very balanced AIs to the mix if you like, or I can whip up some killer AIs if that is what you prefer.
                      I think that having one or two alien factions might be interesting, either one if aliens are single. Two factions would be probably more concerned with each other and less in war with our human factions before one conquers the other, but that depends also on their placement. These are my few observations, I did not play a lot with aliens. But it may be cool to have them in game.

And human factions, Univ, PK or second Data Angels would be ok, but DA maybe not so much due to graphics. They may be confusing if someone uses their graphics. It is though always possible to replace their entry ini file, so they have graphics of other faction.
                      Also, back when I was PBEM'ing it was customary to disable the Empath Guild, as it was considered overbalanced (i.e. instant and permanent infiltration on everyone was a real gamebreaker for most). Just a suggestion on my part, but I'd advise that you should all have to work for infiltration on your fellow factions.
                      That might be voted or Arakaria could decide.
                      This is true, if a good player with conqueror strategy has Empath Guild then it's a great bonus. When players play mostly builder, then EG spices the game. Still if someone gets elected as governor, the effect is similar. Often players avoid allowing someone to be a governor, but there is still possibility a strong alliance of some factions may prevail in voting, influencing AI possibly etc. Then Empath Guild might be used to counterbalance such case. but it's all speculation.

The Cloudbase Academy also. Especially when copters can attack bases. If copters cannot attack bases, then Cloudbase Academy is less beneficial, but then anyway boost to needlejets is significant still. not to mention satellite bonuses... I think we had both Empath guild and Cloudbase Academy disabled in ACDG3?
                      If our game would be more builder style, then both secret projects might be ok.

Arakaria, you started the thread, then you might decide. I'm fine with any decision you make. I mostly play builder, but you never know how the game turns out in the end.
                      Finally, if there are going to be AIs in the game, then I can add units to the basic set that are available in-game. The one standard unit that was always included was Googlie's Probe Cruiser, which was available with Doc: Init, and thus equipped AIs with the ability to build aquatic probes. I'd also suggest adding an AA Speeder available at Doc: Air, the reasoning behind this is that the AIs don't build land-based AA units otherwise. There are others I could add if you like, but these are the basics. Let me know what you think, and I can proceed accordingly.

D
                      Darsnan, you have the best experience with pre-defined units. whatever you add will enhance this game well.

Probe cruiser, x missile, AA units are now reliable ones. I would also add a submersible probe foil or similar, so AI could surprise us with probe actions even more. Then any other you consider worth using.

One more rule setting - look first ON
                      Stronger AI, but with some chance for a beginner player to survive. But we would probably manage somehow. I remember Chaos Theory was making challenge scenarios that experienced players were loosing quickly. Something less difficult would be ok I think.

Summarizing:
                      Large world

- Precise research
                      - Tech stagnation off
                      - Look first ON, so we can move around all colony pods and decide where first base would be.
                      - the rest default is ok.

Players
                      Arakaria - Cult
                      Marky - Gaia
                      Bodissey - Morgan
                      Mart - Angels

AI - as above proposed
                      Enhanced AI and units - any units as CMN decides, enhancements to AI - as above
                      Mart
                      Map creation contest
                      WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Originally posted by Mart
                        Darsnan,

Thank you for volunteering to setup the game!
                        np. I figure since your the only active CMN these days, then you should also enjoy the benfits of a CMN'd. game.

I think that having one or two alien factions might be interesting, either one if aliens are single. Two factions would be probably more concerned with each other and less in war with our human factions before one conquers the other, but that depends also on their placement. These are my few observations, I did not play a lot with aliens. But it may be cool to have them in game.
                        I'm thinking PKs and Hive, with the Drones thrown in to boot.

The Cloudbase Academy also disabled. Especially when copters can attack bases. If copters cannot attack bases, then Cloudbase Academy is less beneficial, but then anyway boost to needlejets is significant still. not to mention satellite bonuses... I think we had both Empath guild and Cloudbase Academy disabled in ACDG3?
                        If our game would be more builder style, then both secret projects might be ok.

Arakaria, you started the thread, then you might decide. I'm fine with any decision you make. I mostly play builder, but you never know how the game turns out in the end.
                        OK, so both the Empath Guild and CBA disabled, unless Arakaria says otherwise.

Darsnan, you have the best experience with pre-defined units. whatever you add will enhance this game well.
                        OK, so game setup will be as follows:

Large world
                        - Precise research
                        - Tech stagnation off
                        - Look first ON, so we can move around all colony pods and decide where first base would be.
                        - Landmarks (such as Nexus, Boreholes, Jungle) included.

Additional units as follows:

- Googlie's Probe Cruiser at Doc: Init
                        - SP-88 (6/3/2 with AA capability) at Doc: Air
                        - Attack Submarine (5/3/5) at Superconductor (you can then reverse engineer this for Probe Subs if you wish).

Players in order:
                        Arakaria - Cult
                        Marky - Gaia
                        Bodissey - Morgan
                        Mart - Angels

AI's

Hive
                        PKs
                        Drones

AIs will not be set to auto-vendetta, nor will the Factions be tweaked in any way. They will be given good starting positions

Map

Map will have some added sea elements, such as Sea Monoliths, underwater volcanoes, etc.

I should have this done in a couple of days. If you have a preference for a password please PM it to me, otherwise I will set them and PM the password to you.

D

Comment

Update: first playtest succesfully completed. I will playtest again in about 10 hours (once my kids let me back on the computer.... ). If everything goes to plan I will post the game after this. Currently I am planning on calling this game "Planetful of Troubles", however if anyone else has a suggestion please let me know.

Turn order is as follows:

Players in order:
                          Arakaria - Cult
                          Marky - Gaia
                          Bodissey - Morgan
                          Mart - Angels

If you don't already have each other's E-Mail address, then please arrange for this.

One other change I've made in the game is that I have given the Fungal Towers the gravship chassis: this means you cannot drown fungal towers. Forewarned is forearmed......

D

Comment

My email: mr_fab75TAyahooTODfr
                            My MSN: fab75018TAliveTODfr
                            All your base are belong to us

Comment

Turn tracking thread has been posted here

Passwords have been sent.

D

Comment

My email is markmayhughTAyahooTODcom

with appropriate substitutions of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X