Mars Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mars Mod

I've been re-reading K.S. Robinson's wonderful RGB Mars triology, and I was wondering -

What would it take to create a "terraform Mars" scenario? What would have to be modified?

First, of course, would be to create a Mars map, which should be straightforward enough. I'm envisioning it starting with no water, and no breathable atmosphere. Terraforming would eventually create seas and atmosphere.

Second, the fungus would have to go, obviously. Monoliths may or may not be included.

Third, all the land tiles would originally have no soil, only regolith, so they would produce food only with (hydroponic) farms. There should be a way to create soil, of course, through terraforming, and perhaps as global terraforming proceeds, soil would spontaneously form. A soil (as opposed to a regolith) tile would provide some food on it's own.

As for the atmosphere, I'm not sure if that can be modeled in the game. If it could, then you could make it so (for example) forests couldn't be created until the atmosphere is built up sufficiently. The first steps would be to create greenhouse gases (esp. CO2) to build up the atmospheric pressure and warm the planet; then forests could create O2, and once it's breathable, then maybe give a pop growth bonus to everyone.

The factions (except maybe Fungus Boy) would all pretty much work as they are, and you might even be able to work in the aliens as the "ancient Martians" returned.

Victory conditions would have to be figured out, though all the military-political-economic ones would work fine as they are.

Military units are all pretty much fine the way they are, IMO.

So, anyone want to help with this? Anyone have any comments or further ideas?
    Lev Koszegi

The atmosphere isn't such a great problem as the temperature of the planet. Normal plant life wouldn't survive, since it would freeze. That excludes forests at first, but farms could be in greenhouses.

How do you get rid of fungus, worms, and the second sun?
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Isn't there a scenario option to turn off all fungus and native life?

The Xenofungus site I think had a cool Mars map, which is sort of boring in single player. There's so little green most of the factions randomly start next to each other. But all the Mars geographical features are labeled, so someone put a lot of hard work into it.
      "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

mhh if you redesign the Fungus art into fertile soil it would seem as if the Planet slowly terraforms?
        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Where's the xenofungus site?
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            Where's the xenofungus site?

It seems to have disappeared. Hopefully not forever.

"We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Is there an editor for this game?

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                Is there an editor for this game?
                Beyond the in-game scenario editor and hand editing the text files, not one I have ever come across.

Comment

The Mars map can be downloaded at civ.org.pl There is also a Mars scenario (v3.0 - the old v1.1 is also on LoD's site), which has been sent to civ.org.pl, Apolyton and CGN, but neither has put them on their site, though I have gotten answer from LoD and CGN they would.
                  Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                  Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Static23
                    Isn't there a scenario option to turn off all fungus and native life?

The Xenofungus site I think had a cool Mars map, which is sort of boring in single player. There's so little green most of the factions randomly start next to each other. But all the Mars geographical features are labeled, so someone put a lot of hard work into it.
                    Man that sounds much like the map I'm talking about. Who knows they have put it on their site without me knowing. Tell me, as I can't access the site, are Olympus Mons and such represented by vulcanoes? What about Elysium Montes (that has changed from vulcano to no vulcano depending on the map version)? Are dunes used? Is Argyre Planitia the Garland Crater? And Hellas Planitia a bunch of 0-1000m lowlands?
                    If so, I can't recall ever giving the Marsmap to that site...

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

Man that sounds much like the map I'm talking about. Who knows they have put it on their site without me knowing. Tell me, as I can't access the site, are Olympus Mons and such represented by vulcanoes? What about Elysium Montes (that has changed from vulcano to no vulcano depending on the map version)? Are dunes used? Is Argyre Planitia the Garland Crater? And Hellas Planitia a bunch of 0-1000m lowlands?
                      If so, I can't recall ever giving the Marsmap to that site...
                      I said I think I got it from that site. The link has been down for a few months, it seems. I'm not positve where I got it, but I know it didn't get it from Poly, CGN or civ.org.pl.

The map is exactly as you described. I assume it is an early version because Elysium Montes is two volcanoes. The map I have is called mars3.MP .

Are early versions posted anywhere on the net?

Comment

The only place where I know of that the map can be downloaded is civ.org.pl. I also sent it to Apolyton way back, but they didn't respond. Now I've sent the MarsSurvivors v3.0 scenario to those other sites, and in the zipfile the updated Marsmap is included. Elysium Montes are no longer vulcanoes, which means that Elysium is guaranteed to become an isle if you raise the sea levels (as in KSR's Mars Trilogy), which didn't happen while they were vulcanoes.

Comment

I can post it here or email it to you if want to see if it's the same map. It's only 10k zipped.

Comment

Oh that would be nice. Thanks. Here's the version I have (10k too) attached btw.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here's my copy. I think I've had it for 5-6 months. Look the same to me, with very minor changes.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X