Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[C4:AC] Migrate to WL and merge with my Code Base?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [C4:AC] Migrate to WL and merge with my Code Base?

I've been thinking about the possibility for migrating the project to WarLords. I also have a project I've been running over at CFC for some time now the Civ4 Community Core Project (CCCP). The aim of this project is to incorporate the widest variety of modifications to the DLL which are usefull yet optional to create a kind of universal DLL upon which to build mods. Our Alpha Centauri total convertion fits quite well in that scope.

The CCCP mod features (outside of things like bug Fixes) are dormant untill activated by new XML tags which are always designed to be optional so they can be used selectivly. Game level options are enabled with Global Defines. Their are a few supporting python files for the US but these will be easy to replace with SMAC apropriate ones.

To use the CCCP code all I need to do is incorporate the existing work in the current code into the CCCP and it would be our primary DLL. The differences constists mostly of the Crawler effects and some of Blakes advanced AI code both of which I would like to include in CCCP anyways. C4AC gets a whole library of mods and imediate access to everything I make in the future. Some of the highlights are a mod that allows air units to gain experience and Air unit enhancing promotions, the ability to build any improvment outside ones cultural borders, Vote Modifiers for Lal and Empath Guild/Clinical Importality effects, an expanded set of Spy missions including Stealing of Tecnologies and Gold and a tag that allow 'Flying' units for Grav-Ships.

To learn more about the CCCP visit the thread HERE

Our current XML assets can be ported to WL quite easily too, some simple Schema modifications that make the WL tag data optional will work just fine.
    Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

I would stay with CIV since you only need CIV by itself to play it instead of needing CIV and WL.

Anyway the changes are so dramatic that I dont see how we would benefit from going to WL by itself.

These MODs for CIV can be incorporated into the C4AC and posible someone could backward engineer a WL MOD into CIV if the MOD does not rely on WL material.
    You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
    There is a reason for everything.

Comment

I had a look at the cccp core and it looks really great.

The fact remains we will have to upgrade at some stage anyway purely to use the vassal options that warlords 2 offers. (which ironically was included in standard smac, and was my favorite feature)

A lot of the stuff eg clinical immortablity and the empath guild stuff has been completed in the current v212 anyway, however there is a lot of stuff that needs the cccp stuff that impaler has done.

My thoughts are that we will need to upgrade at some stage anyway, we might as well do it as early as possible, to save having more bugs in the long run. On top of that Firaxis has said that any future patches will only be compat with warlords anyway.

I acknowledge that not everyone has warlords, however bearing in mind its now like 15 dollars to buy and probably cheaper as time goes by or via ebay and the likes, its not a lot for most people to get.

I say go for it...
      Come visit the SMAC Mod
      You can download the latest mod by
      http://code.google.com/p/civ4smac/
      Fan of the original SMAC? join us and help

Comment

Ok then I'll begin copying from the current code into my CCCP code after I make my next release (2.07). I'm hoping we can come to a consensus on moving to WL and at that point upload the whole package and continue development from their.
        Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
        X