spACe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spACe

Why has no one ever made a Space Mod for Alpha Centauri? You know, a map full of one-tile islands representing planets or star systems, and you have to colonize the galaxy by sending out your (star)ships?
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

I guess people used CIVII for that.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

If you want that play Galactic Civilization.
      You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
      There is a reason for everything.

Comment

Thats used in some RTS games also. simple reason: the game isnt cool enough so they make a space mod. but smac is so cool already no one cares about space mods
        if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

That would be cool. Espcally with the round island thing in smac. It would just need a differant texture file for terrain.
          Don't rule me out when I'm losing. Save your celebration until after I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by ForesterSOF
            If you want that play Galactic Civilization.
            I've heard people find GalCiv boring. Also GalCiv2 will have 3D apparently, so I won't be able to run it probably due to lack of Transform & Lighting.

Originally posted by wgabrie
            That would be cool. Espcally with the round island thing in smac. It would just need a differant texture file for terrain.
            I was hoping you'd reply to this thread.
            Personally I'm quite good at text file editing (hence SMAniaC is easily made) but suck at graphics creation/modding, which is a must for a space mod.

Since land terraforming improvements would be mostly unused with one tile planets, those could eg be used for some different sun/gas giant graphics.

Comment

So basicly the map is a series of size1 islands in a large ocean\galaxy and various units exist for shuttling back and fourth?im not getting the numbers part of this and why it would work

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by Kataphraktoi
                So basicly the map is a series of size1 islands in a large ocean\galaxy
                It would probably be more interesting if star systems were represented a little more elaborate with a sun in the center with some planets, gas giants, asteroid belts around it. A dust cloud (fungus) here and there...

and various units exist for shuttling back and fourth?
                And combat units based on the sea and air chassis.

im not getting the numbers part of this
                The numbers part?

Comment

im not getting the numbers part of this
                  Why it is better than normal smac-it seems much simpler, unless i am missing something. the existing naval system is very poor in smac,also. While i would be interested in civ-in-space, i dont know if smac would be my first pick to use as a model
                  Last edited by Kataphraktoi; February 18, 2006, 22:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
                    It would probably be more interesting if star systems were represented a little more elaborate with a sun in the center with some planets, gas giants, asteroid belts around it. A dust cloud (fungus) here and there...
                    Have you looked at all into what Galactic Civilizations 2 is about?

D

Comment

Originally posted by Kataphraktoi
                      the existing naval system is very poor in smac,also.
                      It has potential - it just isn't used properly in standard SMAC. The neat naval special abilities come way too late in the tech tree. But the main problem why naval combat sucks is because the weapon values are way too high compared to armour values. Since most combat would be "naval" in a space mod, a tech tree could be made where weapon values are always more or less the same as armour values, instead of double or more. The land combat can also still be kept the same by simply giving infantry a 100% bonus when attacking bases. More than one chassis for land combat wouldn't be necessary I assume.

Originally posted by Darsnan
                      Have you looked at all into what Galactic Civilizations 2 is about?

D
                      I've looked at the site, but unless I'm looking at the wrong place, there hardly is any info on it.

But it's 3D, so it probably can't run on my laptop without T&L anyways.

Comment

ut the main problem why naval combat sucks is because the weapon values are way too high compared to armour values
                        I thought the problem was the 'turn' system and how units move and interact with each other. Naval simulator games i have played do not use turns. also, naval conflicts rarely result in the total destruction of the enemy, afaik(not having studied naval history i admit). exchange some volleys, someone sinks some ships, someone backs off, cat and mouse with subs...

Comment

Ah yes true of course. The turn system and unit interaction sucks. I thought you were saying naval combat sucked as opposed to land combat.

Comment

Why make a great game worse?

You turn SMAC into a space game, you take out terraforming, you take out raising and lowering terrain, you take out manipulating the ocean level, you take out ground vs. naval vs. air combat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sperber
                              you take out terraforming
                              No you replace a focus on land terraforming by a focus on "naval" terraforming (solar shields, cloudscoops, sky hydroponics labs...) which is hardly used in standard SMAC.

you take out raising and lowering terrain, you take out manipulating the ocean level
                              Are those options that frequently used?

you take out ground vs. naval vs. air combat.
                              No you replace a focus on land and air combat by a focus on air and naval combat.

Comment

Working...
                              X