No announcement yet.

[C4:AC][Programming][Graphics] Terrain textures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

illu : there are 5+ resources in that screen. The fact you don't notice it is proof they don't look good

For example on the second row, you see (from right to left) : 7 energy, 7 energy, 7 minerals. A bit more to the back, at the left side of row 4, there's a 7 nutrient square.
    no sig

Comment

Yes, I see it now, it adds a new icon over the old one after a certain amount is reached.
      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Looks much nicer, mine was little more than a simple cut and paste. Deleted.

I finally noticed the thread for yours, still got some catching up to do, working my way backwards through the forum

The SVN seems a bit out of date... are the developers just using email to keep up to date with the latest version?

Comment

Once again, I've struggled with the fungus feature.

The "SymbolPath" tag in the CIV4FeatureInfos.xml file allows me to alternate the 3D graphics between jungle, forest and ice (perhaps more). There may be a way to get the floodplains 2D texture to display on tiles that are not adjacent to rivers and use this feature as template--I tried with no luck.

The jungle, forest and ice 3D features consist of 15 .nif files. This allows for variety of the feature (depending on tile, I assume). I cannot simply replace the .nif files with 2D .dds files in order to get a texture overlay; this does not work.

I am wondering if we are able to modify the .nif files and if such modifications would work as a 3D representation of xenofungus.

The jungle feature does not display on ocean tiles; so I tried using the ice feature as template. Ice doesn't show on hills and peaks, though--and has a poor display on flatland. Here's a semi-transparent recolor of the ice feature replacing the default jungle feature:

Edit: Perhaps it is possible to combine the "XenoIce" feature with a terrain texture for land based fungus. If fungus is present on a land tile, the tile terrain should change (somewhat like global warming turning tiles into desert) and if the fungus is removed the tile should revert to its original terrain. I don't know if this is possible.
          Last edited by Rubin; December 2, 2006, 02:18.

Comment

I thought ingame fungus doesn't show in ocean either, only in shelf tiles? So I assume the map generator should be adapted a bit to allow coastal/shelf tiles in the middle of the sea?
            He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Ruben
              I am wondering if we are able to modify the .nif files and if such modifications would work as a 3D representation of xenofungus.
              You can definitely modify the .nifs. Here's ice01_01.nif after I imported it into blender and made a few peaks in the model:

You need Blender , the Blender .nif scripts and a few settings in the .nif exporter need tweaking.

Follow this guide, then in the final step you need to change the nif version to 20.0.0.4 and hit apply, or the models won't load. You'll get an 'incorrect version' message in the resmgr.log if you don't do that.

The standard UV editor in blender also works for modifying the UV information, so I don't see any reason why you couldn't make very complex xenofungus blocks with detailed textures, provided they had the same join sides and scale as the normal terrain .nifs.

edit: but it seems you need to transcode the .dds to another format to use it as a background when you are doing the UVs, as blender doesn't appear to like DirectDraw surfaces.

Comment

Kable, this is very interesting! Please check your private messages.

Comment

Working...
                X