Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two ways to boost the pirate AI

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but in case it isn't:

I've found two ways to improve Pirate AI performance.

Currently the sea former basic unit is disabled. If you enable it and set its prerequisite to Centauri Hydrology (SMAniaC) / Doctrine: Flexibility, they'll build lots of them. Before I did this, the Pirates didn't build a single sea former, despite setting their AI strategy towards building lots of formers.

A second thing I noticed is that the Pirates often build colony pods but then just let them sit in their sea bases, even if they have transports capable of ferrying them to land. This problem can be solved by giving the colony pod basic unit amphibious pods. So they can independently move from coastal sea bases onto the land.
    Last edited by Maniac; August 22, 2005, 21:52.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Re: Two ways to boost the pirate AI

Originally posted by Maniac
    I've found two ways to improve Pirate AI performance.

A second thing I noticed is that the Pirates often build colony pods but then just let them sit in their sea bases, even if they have transports capable of ferrying them to land. This problem can be solved by giving the colony pod basic unit amphibious pods. So they can independently move from coastal sea bases onto the land.
    You can then adjust the cost via the alphax.txt file such that the unit costs the same in mins as a basic CP. Only problem here though is that the amphibious pod can then be retro-engineered off of the CP and onto other units (which really is insignificant given the advantage Maniac is talking about). The other issue here is that the Pirates always start out in the middle of the sea, so even giving the CP's Amphibious Pods won't help for a lot of Pirate bases. One thing I have done for the Pirates in games I've set up is to start them in archapeligos, which on a SMAX map is a 50/50 maze of land/sea tiles. This then gives the Pirates a significant advantage over their traditional starting position (i.e. open water where attack can come from any direction) as an archapeligos, what with its maze of dead ends and misdirections, significantly favors the defender. This, now coupled with Maniac's idea of Amphibious Pods for CP's should significantly alleviate this problem for an AI Pirate in a CMN'd game.

D

Comment

Re: Re: Two ways to boost the pirate AI

Originally posted by Darsnan
      Only problem here though is that the amphibious pod can then be retro-engineered off of the CP and onto other units
      Only humans can do that, so a house rule like is common with regards to the probe team design can easily solve that.

The other issue here is that the Pirates always start out in the middle of the sea, so even giving the CP's Amphibious Pods won't help for a lot of Pirate bases.
      It's my impression that except for the first base, the Pirates always seek to establish their bases right next to the coast. However as you say for CMNed games with archipelagos this isn't an issue.

I observed btw that the amphibious colony pod only moves on land when the Pirate AI doesn't have a transport in the base. If there is a transport present, both the transport and colony pod just stay put in the base...

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Two ways to boost the pirate AI

Originally posted by Maniac
        I observed btw that the amphibious colony pod only moves on land when the Pirate AI doesn't have a transport in the base. If there is a transport present, both the transport and colony pod just stay put in the base...
        Oh, if you really want something that'll absolutely drive you batty as a Creator, give a Faction the free Amphibious Pods Special Ability (available upon discovering Doc:Init). So far the AI's I've played with will then completely avoid researching Doc: Init! Its one of the few times my wife has come into the den and caught me argueing with the computer....

D

Comment

Will you bloody built those f****** amphi attackers now and stop pretending Doc: Init doesn't exist anymore, you damn NEED those frelled cruisers you know!!

Pricesess!
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

So far the AI's I've played with will then completely avoid researching Doc: Init!
            They know they will crush then!
            -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Interesting finds.

Sea formers can be enabled in alphax.txt for game creations.
              I also wonder why they are disabled?

amphibious colony pod. In order to avoid reverse engineering, an additional one can be made as pre-defined and set up for Doc Initiative.

And a question. How much AI reverse engineer? If I make e.g. AAA sea transport foil (AAA is disabled in stdrd alphax.txt for non combat) will it make AAA sea transport cruiser?
              Mart
              Map creation contest
              WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

nope

Comment

Working...
                X