SMAC terrain graphics mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC terrain graphics mod

No one ever does terrain graphics mods, or none that I have been able to find. So, I did my own. I guess the best description is that its a Desert based, Coloring book style that's bright like in a Civ game.

I didn't mean for it to look like a coloring book. It just happened when I tried to create a grass-type look for moist and rainy squares. At least the Desert looks realistic. But there may be some visibility issues with rolling/rocky squares since I left them the original color but with differant shading.

Attached is my first attempt for usability testing by you the general population. Just make a copy of your original texture.pcx file for backup purposes and move my file into the SMAC directory.

Let me know what you think, or of any improvements that could be implemented.

EDIT: I have replaced the original texture download with Version 3. It has everything in Texture2 Plus a differant Fungus texture and subtle changes in the Ocean and Jungle.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wgabrie; August 17, 2005, 02:30.
    Don't rule me out when I'm losing. Save your celebration until after I'm gone.

I've been working on a mod that involves a new tileset, including vegetation tiles, and yours are much better than what I've done!

Well done. I'm jealous.
    Paradigm Omnimedia - You'll Pay Us to Tell You What You Think

Comment

Personally I wouldn't use it for a Chiron-based game, but it looks great on the Earth map.
      Attached Files
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Re: SMAC terrain graphics mod

Good to see you back, wgabrie.

Originally posted by wgabrie
        Attached is my first attempt for usability testing by you the general population. Just make a copy of your original texture.pcx file for backup purposes and move my file into the SMAC directory.

Let me know what you think, or of any improvements that could be implemented.
        I'll give it a whirl tonight, and then provide feedback. btw your still not using a Mac, are you?

D

Comment

Ok Darsnan I did get a pc, Its bargan bin but I can play Civ III and SMAC plus a few other games I had my eye on.

Comment

Does anyone remember the land in the screenshots of the prototype SMAC? I thought that looked pleasingly alien although most people disavowed it as worse than the current graphics.

I like the look of the screenshot, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at in each tile.

Comment

Originally posted by wgabrie
              Ok Darsnan I did get a pc, Its bargan bin but I can play Civ III and SMAC plus a few other games I had my eye on.

OK, I tried your modded texture file. I think its a little too bright and cartoonish for my taste. Did you ever try the "Drab Smac" texture file? The fungus is rust colored in this one, and the rocky squares are different as well. I've attached it in case your interested. Regardless, good stuff wgabrie!

D
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
                Personally I wouldn't use it for a Chiron-based game, but it looks great on the Earth map.
                It looks fantastic! I must give it a try.
                SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Thanks Darsnan for the drab graphics, it's nice to know there are terrain packs out there.

Also, I have polished the graphics a little for better visibility. I'm attaching the file on this post. Maybe Maniac or someone able to post graphics can do an updated visual.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I am trying it right now.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Illuminatus; July 31, 2005, 05:23.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Example two.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Illuminatus; July 31, 2005, 05:32.

Comment

I believe this map is familiar.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Illuminatus; July 31, 2005, 05:21.

Comment

Compared to your original file (below, above screenies were taken while using the second file), I really like it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Heah wgabrie,

any chance I can convince you to play with the Unity Wreckage pic, or possibly the Monolith and/ or Nexus pics? I think it'd be cool to have an alternate pic of an ancient city replacing the wreckage, where players exploring the city find ancient (still operational) vehicles, a store of EC's, and an ancient telescope which tracked the descent of the Unity's escape pods. Different options for the Nexus and/ or monoliths would be cool as well!

D

Comment

This took longer than the texture mod file because It's more difficult to think up and create alternate items. But I did it!

Attached is my terrain mod. I replaced the Unity Wreckage with a city ruin, working from Darsnan's idea, Replacing the Unity bridge, There's an observatory that looses it's telescope when explored; A Helioport which looses it's garage; A tri-level command center which replaces the cargo bay and vanishes; and finally there's corporate building/bank that also vanishes.

Other changes are the Monoliths, a re-worked Nexus, and the fossil field was changed into a reef.

EDIT: See posts below for latest update. In my first attempt I messed up the graphics order.
                              Last edited by wgabrie; August 17, 2005, 02:33.

Comment

Working...
                              X