Clear All

• Iniswap - tool solving faction graphics bug

Iniswap for SMAX in Windows

Version 2 for download

Changes in version 2:
    - After selecting ini file, terranx.exe starts automatically
    - Iniswap now checks for this file only:
    Alpha Centauri.ini
    Previous test of folder did not work properly on some machines. I hope this one runs with no problems
    - upload service might attach garbage

==========
    Description
    This small utility stores Alpha Centauri.ini files in a separate folder "Iniswap" in the root game directory. Each file is supposed to have correct "FACTION X=" declaration for a specific game. It can swap the correct ini file just before the given game to ensure correct graphics in game. It is designed to make fixing this Smax bug as effortlessly as possible.

Should work under Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000 and XP, although not all of these operating systems have been tested yet.

Installation
    For security of your Alpha Centauri.ini file, make its backup. I strongly urge you to do so.

Unzip the iniswap.zip file and place iniswap.exe into the SMAX root game folder. During its first execution, the utility will ask you for permission to create "Iniswap" folder. If you refuse it will quit. It is designed to work only in the main game root folder. There is a detection if it is so, though not very elaborate. The utility will not work otherwise.

Use of Iniswap

1. QUIT - does just that

2. Add current - copies current Alpha Centauri.ini file to the Iniswap folder with the addition of a short name. You will be asked for it in a separate dialog box. Do not make the name too long - Windows has this file feature limitted. "Pbem one" or "Acdg3" are good examples.

3. Delete - Select a desired ini file from the list to the left so it is highlighted and push "Delete" button. This will delete the selected ini file from Iniswap folder.

4. About - just tells a little bit more about Iniswap

5. In order to replace an ini file from root folder with the one in your list in the Iniswap folder, just doubleclick the file in the list. It will be copied to the main root folder of the game overwriting the previous one.

6. Remember that ini files in the Iniswap folder do not get automatically updated as the ini file in the main root folder gets changed. Do not be surprised that your Latest Map option or Latest Save option are different that those before the swap made by Iniswap. This might be corrected, but writing to ini file would be necessary. It might be a topic for a new small project in the future.

7. A practical note. Make a shortcut to Iniswap on your desktop next to Terranx.exe shortcut. Start it just before you "fire up" the game. Replacement should take you just 3-5 seconds. That's it. In order to build the "library" of ini files in Iniswap folder, you will have to have first the correct ini file in the root game folder, this utility does not build ini file from scratch. You can make the correct ini file by previously advised methods. Starting the game with correct factions for example.

8. Finally - License. It is freeware. It is NOT designed to screw up your system or game installation, but use caution. Thus, please use it on your own risk. It has not been also created to infringe SMAX creators and owners rights to the game, but it helps to go around some not yet fixed "bug" in the game, which for some players significantly detorirates the experience of playing it.

------------------
    If anyone would like to test it, I will appreciate it.
    Also if anyone finds it usefull, that's great.
    ------------------
    Attached file removed, as there is new version 2 linked for download in the begining of the post.
    Last edited by Mart; February 20, 2010, 11:23.
    Mart
    Map creation contest
    WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Nice.

I'd suggest a couple of things though:

Doubleclick an ini and it should backup the old one, run smax then swap back.

Also, perhaps if you include the launcher like I suggest, make a run SMAC option?

Any chance of seeing the source?
    #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
    #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

Thank you for your feedback.

Making a backup will be added.

Running smax from Iniswap is possible. I do not see though the need for smac though, as you do not need to declare faction order for original smac. I can make terranx.exe to execute right away after faction order correction, omitting axstart.exe - which shows screen in planetary pack for example allowing to choose smac/x.

As I see it now, probably writing to ini file will be better than reverting to previous ini file - just to preserve updated settings as the game executes. There is also, at least in my ini file, some very long string at some point and I found its cutting might make problems (its empty spaces anyway), so maybe binary reading/writing might be better here.

Do you use IBasic, by any chance? It's IBasic Pro actually, and recently was in phase of beta-testing, but maybe I can reveal the code. Note though, that it is not c++ or similar, it is quite specific, but algorythm is just a simple matter here.
      Mart
      Map creation contest

Comment

No idea what IBasic is, I was just curious as to how you did it.

Your point regarding terranx.exe is valid, I haven't run axstart.exe for...no idea how long now.

As to reverting, that's also a good point, since you'll have a config for each game you play.
        #endgame

Comment

Originally posted by #endgame
          As to reverting, that's also a good point, since you'll have a config for each game you play.
          I mean, that it might be a bit annoying, that some of the ini file changes will not be updated in all your files for particular games. These features like:
          - last map
          - last game
          - last scenario
          - gamma correction
          they are updated in the ini file - main one - when your change them. Reverting would overwrite these. You would probably not want that in these cases.

So some entries might be specific to a particular game while other are preffered to be the same for all of the files. The question is which of them.

Also I hope that players will be quite consistent in which entries are going to be always common and which always specific (like faction declarations for example). If oppinions differ, then I would stick to faction declarations only.

Endgame, what is your preference to ini entries?
          Mart
          Map creation contest

Comment

Rather than relying on the players to be consistent in what options to import/export, why not just parse the ini file (surely there are pre-written ini parsers to avoid reinventing the wheel) and allow the user to export the features they want (e.g. an ACDG settings set would probably be factions-only.)

I'm going away tomorrow and probably won't be able to check this forum for a while, but keep up the development and I'll be sure to see what you make when I get back (~18 Jan 2005).

#endgame

Comment

No big interest in the idea I see.
              Mart
              Map creation contest

Comment

Updated to version 2
                Right at the top of the first post there is a link to upload.
                Mart
                Map creation contest

Comment

Don't worry, I sense this will be distributed via Apolyton Pack.
                  SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

currently I use a .bat scripts that do this (example = acdg3.bat)

C:
                    CD "C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Alien Crossfire\"
                    COPY "Alpha Centauri.Ini" "Alpha Centauri.Old.Ini"
                    COPY "Alpha Centauri.acdg3.Ini" "Alpha Centauri.Ini"
                    terranx.exe
                    COPY "Alpha Centauri.Ini" "Alpha Centauri.acdg3.Ini"
                    COPY "Alpha Centauri.Old.Ini" "Alpha Centauri.Ini"
                    PAUSE

It's +/- the same, but without user interface. I put these .bat files in the directory where I store save games from that pbem. Very easy this way.

A feature request though : could you add a way to set the faction order for a new ini file? Ie: if I want to start a new pbem, I don't need to start a game with factions in the right order, but just set them in your GUI. Also, it would remove the danger of misspellings in the faction names.
                    no sig

Comment

Ill use it. I cant test it right now though, as i dont have SMAC on this puter and the kids are playing on the puter that has it atm.
                      if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Hi, the download link seems to be broken
                        Let us make we more poems.

Comment

This is the result of the recent change in server locations. It may be some months before the link works.
                          Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Working...
                          X