Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would this mod be for SMAC or SMAX?

if it's for the former, I'd be happy to help; if for the latter, no can do
    Peacekeepers Rule! Fairly and Democratically of course...

Especially with Immunity to Democracy! Mwuhaha!

Comment

You're talking about a lot of work here, Darsnan. Changing graphics, interludes, script... I'm doing this myself ATM for another project.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
        You're talking about a lot of work here, Darsnan. Changing graphics, interludes, script... I'm doing this myself ATM for another project.
        I've done this before as well (except the graphics) when I was working on my Beta Lyrae mod. A lot of work? Yeah, it is, but it'd be a labour of love for those that really want to do this. I personally don't plan on driving a project of this nature, but I am very knowledgeable about Niven's Known Space series (it is my favourite series of books), and can contribute ideas as well as help with the interlude(x).txt, script(x).txt files, and the alpha(x).txt files.

Three other things I've thought of would be to change the Unity Wreckage graphic to something comparable to the Fallen City, or possibly some other structure that would be indigenous to Ringworld - maybe one of Prill's people's cities still slightly working. The monoliths could also become Protector Upgrade stations.

Concerning satelites: since there are no asteroids in the Ringworld solar system, what would the Nessus Mining Stations become? There are Energy collectors on the shadow squares, IIRC, but the Mineral and Nutrient satelites would be tougher to explain. Also, satelite technology would have to come much later, as the the energy to reach an "orbit" is much more significant than on a natural planet.

D

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan
          Three other things I've thought of would be to change the Unity Wreckage graphic to something comparable to the Fallen City, or possibly some other structure that would be indigenous to Ringworld - maybe one of Prill's people's cities still slightly working. The monoliths could also become Protector Upgrade stations.
          The Lying Bastard 'landing track' perhaps for the Unity Wreckage.

The Monoliths could perhaps be changed (graphically) into a floating city. Nutrients for the 'shadow farm' underneath, energy for the trade with it's inhabitants, only the minerals are a bit hard to explain. Trading of goods instead of ideas perhaps.

Originally posted by Darsnan
          Concerning satelites: since there are no asteroids in the Ringworld solar system, what would the Nessus Mining Stations become? There are Energy collectors on the shadow squares, IIRC, but the Mineral and Nutrient satelites would be tougher to explain. Also, satelite technology would have to come much later, as the the energy to reach an "orbit" is much more significant than on a natural planet.
          Actually, satellites could simply be launched by flunging them off the rimwall, so only access to a rim spaceport is necessary to 'launch' those... But perhaps those satellites could harvest material from the cometary belt (the systems Oort cloud). It's hardly likely that the Ringworld Engineers would be able to take those billions upon billions comets out as well. It comes down to that space technology will rely instead of orbital flight to some sort of 'vacuum technology'.

Manifold Nexus would be good for a 'Repair Base' with it's inherent ability to care for the land (hence a protector's descendants).
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

How does one edit the graphical images in Alpha Centauri?
            I've been meaning to make some changes for a while...

Comment

ter1.pcx, terrain.pcx and units.pcx have the ingame graphics.

When I work on those, I simply adapt them in Paint to my liking and save as .bmp, open the adapted file in Microsoft Editor again and save it as a .pcx file. Done deal.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
              X